The Lost Synagogues of Detroit » EZRAS ACHIM TUROVER

Lowell (admin)
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 127
Posted From: 66.167.211.77
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 12:38 am

Tell us about this site! The following memories were previously contributed by email. To add your memories simply scroll to the bottom where you will find the "Add Your Message Here" posting box. Write your message, put any name you wish in the username box and click Preview/Post Message. [No password needed]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++

quote:

The Turover Shul, as I knew it, was on Richton at the corner of Linwood. (S.W. corner) Being a young girl child I would sit with my father in the men's' section. My grandmother would sit in the front row of the women's' section and I could see her quite plainly. We had wonderful Simcha Torah holidays marching around with our flags and apples on top. For the holiday Succoth, the Succah was right outside on Richton and very impressive to a young child. There was a basement where the kids would go when the "davening" got to be too long. I have very fond memories of this synagogue and it was named for a section of Poland/Russia from where many of the members had come.
- Marilyn

I just learned about your site and have spent several minutes reliving days of my youth. Although I do not have the time right now to get into detail, I can give you a bit more on the Ezras Achim synagogue on Dexter. First off, my father, Rabbi Abraham Gardin, was its Rabbi during the fifties. I spent many hours at prayer and play (in the basement social hall) at what was commonly referred to as the Tourover Shuel (Cong. Ezras Achim-Tourover Aid Society, I think was its full name. I will have to check with my Mom when I have an opportunity.)
--Hershel

Seymour (Unregistered Guest)
Permitted by Moderator
Posted From: 68.43.212.77
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 10:14 pm

The Hebrew Free Loan was located in the late '30s on Hazelwood near woodrow Wilson or Byron. They were in the second house from the corner on the North side of the street. That was a long time ago.

(Message approved by admin)

BRUCE (Unregistered Guest)
Permitted by Moderator
Posted From: 69.246.108.110
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 11:30 pm

NICE TO SEE THIS SITE. WE WERE JUST TALKING ABOUT THE TUROVER SOCIETY WITH SOME FOLKS THAT JUST RETURNED FROM A VISIT TO UKRAINE TO SEE
THEIR FOREBEAR'S SHTETL OF BERNITZ. WHEN MY
MOTHER'S PARENTS MOVED TO DETROIT FROM NEW YORK
DURING THE DEPRESSION THEY JOINED THE TUROVER
AID SOCIETY AND WERE PROMISED FREE BURIAL IN
THEIR CEMETERY IN THE WORKMENS CIRCLE SECTION
JUST NORTH OF HEBREW MEMORIAL PARK AND I REMEMBER
ATTENDING A LUNCHEON IN THE DEXTER BLDG WITH MY
MOTHER AND GRANDMOTHER ABOUT 1955. I DID NOT KNOW
THAT IT HAD BEEN A SHUL.

chava (Unregistered Guest)
Permitted by Moderator
Posted From: 64.152.49.244
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 6:53 pm

The picture of the building listed with this is not the Turover Shul but the Hebrew Free Burial Society on Joy Road West of Linwood.

The Turover Shul was on Linwood corner Richton and you have it listed as Shaarey Zion.

Chava (Unregistered Guest)
Permitted by Moderator
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 8:38 pm

Right near this location on Joy Road was the original Young Israel shul. They later built their own building on Dexter Blvd. between Stutevant and Fullerton - a block from Yeshivath Beth Yehudah. It was one of the foremost Orthodox shules with a very large membership in Detroit and I would love to see it added to this marvelous site. Today the Dexter Young Israel is a funeral home.

Rabbi Samuel Prero A"H was the Rabbi at Young Israel for many years, even when the congregation moved to Wyoming in Northwest Detroit and then onto West Ten Mile Road in Oak Park. There was also a Young Israel of Oak Woods on Coolidge Road and Young Israel of Southfield and Young Israel of West Bloomfield.

Chava (Unregistered Guest)
Permitted by Moderator
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 7:51 pm

The Detroit Free Burial Society also known as the Chessed Shel Emes which means "the true kindness" referring to the kindness done for a deceased person b/c there is no expectation of receiving anything in return. This organization was founded by Samuel Sandweiss A"H to deal with the problem of indigent Jews who passed away who either left no money or family who had the means to pay for the funeral. This is considered a tremendous mitzvah in the Torah.

Samuel Sandweiss A"H was also known for many other areas of kindness that he participated in for the community. He was a Stoliner Chassid and was very active in the community as a whole.

One of his children was Dr. David J. Sandweiss, physician in Detroit and was known for his treating many many patients who could not afford his services pro-bono.

The Chessed Shel Emes today is one of the foremost Jewish funeral homes in Detroit. It has always been known for its adherence to Jewish law. It is located today in a beautiful, modern building on Greenfield Road just South of Eleven Mile Road in Oak Park and is officially The Hebrew Benevolent Society or the Heberew Memorial Society and serves the Jewish community at large.

The Chessed Shel Emes also maintains a large cemetary on Gratiot Road and 14 Mile Road in Clinton Township.