The Lost Synagogues of Detroit » B'NAI JACOB [KING]

Lowell (admin)
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 121
Posted From: 66.167.211.77
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 12:27 am

Tell us about this site! To add your memories simply scroll to the bottom where you will find the "Add Your Message Here" posting box. Write your message, put any name you wish in the username box and click Preview/Post Message. [No password needed]

Bubbo (Unregistered Guest)
Permitted by Moderator
Posted From: 69.166.98.93
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 7:36 pm

This Shul was re-built in the early 60's in the 20400 block of Hubbell in Detroit. A yellow brick bldg of triple brick construction. Mr. Borinstien of the Jewish Book Store was an active member & the Rabbi at that time was Rabbi Isaacs.

(Message approved by admin)

SIDNEY KOGAN (Unregistered Guest)
Permitted by Moderator
Posted From: 76.226.88.152
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 7:14 pm

THIS SHUL TRACES ITS' ROOTS BACK TO THE HASTINGS STREET AREA. MY GRANDFATHER , MORRIS OLSHANSKY, AND HIS BROTHER, CHUNYEH OLSHANSKY WERE EARLY MEMBERS.MANY MEMBERS CAME FROM DOVID HORODUK, AND THE NEARBY VILLAGES OF LACHVEH AND TUROV IN WHITE RUSSIA (BELARUS).
THE SHUL EVENTUALLY MOVED INTO WHAT WAS A BANK BUILDING ON LINWOOD AND RICHTON (IN THE 1930s). I HAD MY BAR-MITZVA THERE IN 1945. LATER, IT MOVED TO HUBBLE NEAR 8 MILE AND THEN IT BECAME A KOLLEL ON LINCOLN EAST OF GREENFIELD--OR ELSE A NEW CONGREGATION CALLED B'NAI JACOB WAS FORMED AS THE KOLLEL.
SIDNRY KOGAN

Sol Hoberman (Unregistered Guest)
Permitted by Moderator
Posted From: 76.226.84.224
Posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 6:38 pm

my father was a president in the King St. shul. I remember growing up and walking around the shul on Chanakah with a flag, apple and candle stuck in the middle of it. it was much fun since I was able to sit on the president's chair when ever I wanted to.From King St., the shul moved to the corner of Richton and Linwood where it was known al the Richton shul. In the 60's, I brought a Safer Torah from the Richton shul to The Hubbell shul and the two soon merged after that. The Hubbell shul finally got a name. B'nai Jacob Synagogue I helped bring B'nai Jacob and the Hubbell shul together. Sol Hoberman of Oak Park,Mich.