The Lost Synagogues of Detroit » BETH MOSES [LINWOOD]

Lowell (admin)
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 111
Posted From: 66.167.211.77
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 12:11 am

Tell us about this site! The following memories were previously contributed by email. To add your memories simply scroll to the bottom where you will find the "Add Your Message Here" posting box. Write your message, put any name you wish in the username box and click Preview/Post Message. [No password needed]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++

quote:

I went to Sunday School here around 1950. This was the Romanian Shul and
the architecture was considered very modern at the time.
- Marcia D.

Beth Moses was the 'Roumanian Shul' and also hosted a B'nai Brith lodge (Pisgah, I believe). This was it's last Orthodox venue before merging with the "Evergreen Congregation (C) at 7 mile and Evergreen. After the construction of the Lodge I used to walk here with my grandfather oover the Lodge from Linwood & 6 mile circa 1960 as the closer shuls like Shaarey Shomayim petered out.
- PK

I think the confusion comes from (after looking at the site again) the letters from visitors which accompany it... they seem to indicate that Beth Moses went from Linwood to West Bloomfield through their mergers, which is not true regardless of any cornerstones. The longest home for Beth Moses was on Evergreen and 7 Mile Road. Someone should speak with Rabbi Shnipper. In all the years that I attended Beth Moses, I never heard about the Linwood building or location. I do know that there had been an Evergreen congregation and perhaps it is this shul that merged with Beth Moses to form the 'Beth Moses' that I grew up with which later merged with Beth Abraham Hillel.

The mystery approaches solving!
- Stuart

Beth Moses was the 'Romanian Shul' and also hosted a B'nai Brith lodge (Pisgah, I believe). This was it's last Orthodox venue before merging with the "Evergreen Congregation" at 7 mile and Evergreen. After the construction of the Lodge I used to walk here with my grandfather over the Lodge from Linwood & 6 mile circa 1960 as the closer shuls like Shaarey Shomayim petered out.
- P. Konstam

That's it. I had my Bar Mitzvah here in May, 1954. I don't know much, except it is a modern building of the 50s. My guess it that this wasn't a synagogue very long before the whole congregation left the area.
- Arnie

Beth Moses later merged with Beth Abraham Hillel which became Beth Abraham Hillel Moses. Somewhere on 7 Mile is an old Beth Abraham - I know that because that is where my parents where married. All I remember is it is on the North East corner of the intersection. The congregation is currently located on Maple Road in West Bloomfield and is now known as Beth Ahm (for Abraham Hillel Moses).
- Joel

Jamie Feldman (Unregistered Guest)
Permitted by Moderator
Posted From: 75.45.69.160
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 11:05 pm

My grandfather was a president of this shul and it was my father who orchestrated the mergers with Evergreen Jewish Congregation and then with Beth Abraham. I had many fond memories related to this shul. I even remember climbing in the crabapple trees across the street.

(Message approved by admin)

Yossel (Unregistered Guest)
Permitted by Moderator
Posted From: 76.112.232.51
Posted on Friday, January 22, 2010 - 6:55 am

Ca. 1960 I and a group of boys rode the bus from our Greenfield Seven Mile neighborhood to the Linwood shul to attend a friend's Bar Mitzvah. This is the only time I was ever in an orthodox shul. The Kiddush included shots of Old Grand Dad bourbon.

(Message approved by admin)