The Lost Synagogues of Detroit » BETH EMMANUEL [TAYLOR SHUL]

Lowell (admin)
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 109
Posted From: 66.167.211.77
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 12:07 am

Tell us about this site! The following memories were previously contributed by email. To add your memories simply scroll to the bottom where you will find the "Add Your Message Here" posting box. Write your message, put any name you wish in the username box and click Preview/Post Message. [No password needed]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++

quote:

My father spoke of the Taylor Shul often, telling me that he had taken me to High Holiday services in this building when I was just a toddler. He also described how his mother--my grandmother--would "open it up and close it down" on those days, meaning that she attended services from beginning to end--even on the all-day Yom Kippur service. His father--my grandfather--arrived later and left earlier, I'm told.
This synagogue later merged with another and has been known as Beth Tefilo Emmanuel Tikvah. It moved from Taylor to a storefront on the west side of Wyoming on the corner of Thatcher, just north of Mumford High School, and moved once again to its present hom on the west side of Greenfield between 9 and 10 Mile. For many years Rabbi Leizer Levin, of blessed memory, officiated and I remember hearing his sermons in Yiddish.
- Morrison Z

I am quite certain that this shul was not named "Beth Emmanuel". My grandfather was one of its founding members, but I can't remember the name. I do recall that Chazen Boyarsky was the Cantor in the 30's.I do agree that the shul was known as the Taylor St. Shul.
- Aaron-Florida

If this was known as the Taylor Shul, my Husband and I were married there in l949. I believe the Rabbi was Vogellanter. There are other names as witnesses on our Kutubah if you would wish. Search-ingly yours,
- Nancy

This synagogue was better known as the Taylor Street Shul. It was an Orthodox congregation and served many families who lived in the neighborhood.
- Ruthe

How long ago was this synagogue converted into a church? I ask this because the funeral of Paul Williams of The Temptations was at the Tried Stone Baptist Church in August 1973.
-- AP

Rob Schwartzberg (Unregistered Guest)
Permitted by Moderator
Posted From: 66.167.211.148
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 3:52 pm

I am told that my Great Grandfather was the Rabbi here at the Taylor Street Shul. His name was Joseph Eisenman. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,

Rob Schwartzberg

(Message approved by admin)

steve (Unregistered Guest)
Permitted by Moderator
Posted From: 85.65.134.155
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 10:30 am

It's true. I'm married to a cousin of yours, another descendant of Rabbi Eisenman. If you see this, contact me at jakealter@hotmail.com

inksmudge (Unregistered Guest)
Permitted by Moderator
Posted From: 69.245.65.67
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 2:03 pm

I have very fond memories of the Taylor Shul. My Bar Mitzvah was held there on September 7, 1946. Rabbi Max Volglanter and Cantor Shulsinger were my teachers. It was an orthodox congregation with the women sitting in the balcony and the men on the main floor. The Hebrew school was in the basement and I attended classe there.

Chava (Unregistered Guest)
Permitted by Moderator
Posted From: 64.152.49.244
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 7:22 pm

The name of the Rabbi was Rabbi Max J. Wohlgelernter. He also served as Executive Director of Yeshivath Beth Yehudah for many years until he and his family moved to Israel.