The Lost Synagogues of Detroit » BETH ABRAHAM [7 MILE]

Lowell (admin)
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 103
Posted From: 66.167.211.77
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 4:03 pm

Tell us about this site! The following memories were previously contributed by email. To add your memories simply scroll to the bottom where you will find the "Add Your Message Here" posting box. Write your message, put any name you wish in the username box and click Preview/Post Message. [No password needed]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++

quote:

I attended (believe it or not) pre-school in this building for a year. It would have been my second year of pre-school, so I must have been 4 years old...about 1965. We lived at Rosemary and Marlow and Oak Park, not far from 9 mile and Coolidge. Even though we were members at Temple Israel on Manderson Road, Beth Abraham must have been a far more convenient alternative for my stay at home mom.AZA, boys youth group of the BBYO, B'nai B'rith Youth Organization met here. I was a member of the Alexander B. Goode Chapter, AZA. We met here in the late 1950s, when the building was quite new. The boys were mostly from Mumford High School, but some of us were from other schools such as Cass Tech., MacKenzie, etc.
NN
As I recall, we were allowed to smoke in our classroom and the meetings were very cloudy. Having asthma, I sat by a window, and even in freezing winter, sucked in cold air to breathe. Al Fink was our adult leader. It was a good time being there. This was way before the flight to the suburbs so everybody lived in Detroit's NW side.
- Arnie P

ronald b. kopelman (Unregistered Guest)
Permitted by Moderator
Posted From: 66.167.210.91
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 1:40 pm

I grew up in this building. It had a magnificent bimah with a
hidden choir loft upstairs & behind the ark. The clergy, Rabbi Israel
Halprin, Cantor Shabbatai Ackerman, and our Ba'al Kriyah Cantor
Israel Fuchs were wonderful folks. The "shamas," Mr. Mermalstein, is
still with the temple, though it is now part of Beth Ahm. The 2nd
floor was mainly classrooms and one decent sized hall where we United
Hebrew School students would have singing once a week. In that
singing room was a big plaque dedicated to the "Galician Society."
Though there was no instrumental music on Shabbat (it was Orthodox
after all) there was a boy's choir which taught many of us how to pray.

When the temple left this location for its current location in
W. Bloomfield, there was a big ceremony of taking out the Torah
scrolls. My family was there & it was both a happy & a bittersweet
occasion at the same time. Just seeing this building makes me yearn
for the good old days, only this time around without being tossed out
of Hebrew School class!

-shalom uvrakha-
ronald b. kopelman

(Message approved by admin)

Marv Wagner (Unregistered Guest)
Permitted by Moderator
Posted From: 68.40.178.209
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 10:59 pm

I spent my youth from age 7-13, singing in the choir with my friends and the adults here and had my bar mitzvah at this building. We used to spend a lot of time in and around the building and neighborhood. I was fortunate to be the youth group president and rode the motorcade in convertibles to West Bloomfield when BA moved. I remember the onegs, and the great times here.
Cantor Fuchs taught me the Bar Mitzvah portion as well as lead the choir.

Shirley User Cetner (Unregistered Guest)
Permitted by Moderator
Posted From: 71.205.82.186
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 9:38 pm

My parents were married here by Rabbi Halpern in 1968. They were new immigrants from Romania and had been turned away by several other synagogues because they were not synagogue members. They have extremely fond memories of Rabbi Halpern and kept in touch with him for many years. They later moved to West Bloomfield, and I grew up attending the new BAHM location(pre and post-fire)with my family.

shelley schulist (Unregistered Guest)
Permitted by Moderator
Posted From: 74.138.229.99
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 3:24 pm

My grandfather was one of the founding fathers of the shule when it was the "glicianor" shule. I remember being a member of the youth group, which was sponsored by the yeshiva youth Iember the youth of the synagogue as I was active as a representative of the youth group. I remember Rabbi Halprin and Cantor Ackerman helping me with the many problems I had growing up. I was confirmed and had my bas mitzvah in the shule. It was part of my life when I grew up and when I wanted to get away from home I went to shule.
My mother, was president of the sisterhood and I remember many of the members.
I had my elementary hebrew education in that building.
I was married in the shule.

When the shule moved to West Bloomfield, my father and my husband held the torah and the ceremony was so beautiful, I remember it well.
I made many friends in the synagogue and remember them as well.
I remember....

Shelley Schulist (Unregistered Guest)
Permitted by Moderator
Posted From: 74.138.229.99
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 3:26 pm

if anyone I know is reading this my maiden was Bank.

sarah (Unregistered Guest)
Permitted by Moderator
Posted From: 69.123.69.234
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 12:55 am

I am trying to get in touch with Rabbi Halpern's daughter whose name is Rella. Does anyone know where she might be right now. I would appreciate an e-mail if you have any information. Thank you

Chava (Unregistered Guest)
Permitted by Moderator
Posted From: 64.152.49.242
Posted on Monday, August 17, 2009 - 7:56 pm

I don't know how to reach Rabbi Halpern's daughter Rella. However, her first cousin, Rella Kaplan who is now Rella Pessin lives in Monsey, New York, 10952

Larry Charness (Unregistered Guest)
Permitted by Moderator
Posted From: 75.219.205.164
Posted on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 8:07 pm

I sang in the choir in the early 60's. During that time, Cantor Ackerman made an album of songs. Since Beth Abraham was significant to my life in those years, I would love to find a copy of that album. I can't find it online. Any suggestions?