The Lost Synagogues of Detroit » AVAS ACHIM [DELMAR SHUL]

Lowell (admin)
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 98
Posted From: 66.167.211.77
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 3:45 pm

Tell us about this site! The following memories were previously contributed by email. To add your memories simply scroll to the bottom where you will find the "Add Your Message Here" posting box. Write your message, put any name you wish in the username box and click Tell us about this site! To add your memories simply scroll to the bottom where you will find the "Add Your Message Here" posting box. Write your message, put any name you wish in the username box and click Preview/Post Message. [No password needed]
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

quote:

I didn't see the Delmar Shul (Delmar near Westminister) in your database. Did I miss it (or did you?)? The United Hebrew school building was across the street. I have many memories of both.
- Morris N.

Thanks for the suggestion. The UHS Delmar school has now been added to the site. Click HERE to go there.

Viance (Unregistered Guest)
Permitted by Moderator
Posted From: 76.112.180.83
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 8:59 pm

I am not of the Jewish-American ethnic group, however, I too share wonderful memories about this building. This building is now my place of worship, where I have been a member for the last 36 years. As a child, I often wonder about the "Star of David" that's affixed in the wall behind what is currently known as the "pulpit". I was told by elderly neighbors that the church had at one time been a synagogue and that Jewish-Amercians had lived in the neighborhood. When I joined the church, the building had not been extended. Through the years, the perimeters were enlarged and a school was attached. Ten years ago a newer building was erected directly behind it. The members have always considered it a blessing to have this building as a house of prayer for all people. I am currently enrolled in a multiculture class at Wayne State University which required me to do some research on Jewish-Americans. This is what lead me to this site. To see my church listed as one of the "Lost Syngogues of Detroit" is totally awsome! Who know? As I skimmed through the website I noticed so many other buildings near or within the neighborhood. What a find!!!

Vanessa

(Message approved by admin)

Viance (Unregistered Guest)
Permitted by Moderator
Posted From: 76.112.180.83
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 9:50 pm

I am not of the Jewish-American ethnic group, but I too share wonderful memories of this building. I became a member of this church nearly 36 years ago. At that time the building had not extended it's perimeters. As a child, I would look at the "Star of David" that's embedded in the wall behind what is currently called the "pulpit". On that wall was a mural depicting Christ surrounded by children. I spent many days just looking at that mural. Although it is no longer there, it remains in my memory. I knew just by looking at that wall that the building had a story to tell. The elderly neighbors in the area told me that the building was once a synagogue to the Jewish-Americans living in the neighborhood years ago. To read the memories of those who once called the building a place of worship brings tears to my eyes. It is amazing to see how a building, though years later, could serve the same purpose for a group of African-Americans. Through the years, the building was enlarged and in 1986 a school was attached. 10 years ago the members erected an even larger building directly behind it. The members have always conidered the church a blessing.

I am currently enrolled in a multiculture class at Wayne State University that required me to do research on Jewish-American History. That is what lead me to this website. To see that my church is listed as one of the "Lost Synagogues of Detroit" is awsome! Who know? What a find!!!

Vanessa

EstherIng (Unregistered Guest)
Permitted by Moderator
Posted From: 71.238.72.241
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 2:29 pm

Irwin Cohen calls this synagogue "Ahavas Achim" in his book "Echoes of Jewish Detroit" and older Jews have also sia dit that way -- Ahavas