Soulful DetroitPlatinum Threads � Marvelettes Pictorial For Katherine Shaffner Previous Next

The overall superior quality of this thread with it's mix of photo's, information and on topic interaction from SD members and artist who the thread is about has qualified it for instant nomination into the "Platinum Thread" page!!

Top of pageBottom of page

CoCo (chicklit)
4-Laureate
Username: chicklit

Post Number: 128
Posted From: 66.131.230.246
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 6:05 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This Marvelous Marvelette pictorial is dedicated to Kat. Thanks Kat, for dewing watcha dewing to keep the Original Marvelette legacy alive !

Katherine Anderson Shaffner sits in the golf cart to the right of Stevie Wonder. c.1962

Katherine behind Wanda, note the Fox Theater in the backround.

Kat far left doing her thang ..Just a lil girl.

Kat at far right. Did you have the wooden shoes too girl !!

Kat at far right.

Rosalind and Annette of The Vandellas on each side of Katherine as she proudly recieves her Gold at Insker High, Oct, 2004

Juicefree20 (juicefree20)
6-Zenith
Username: juicefree20

Post Number: 4213
Posted From: 24.46.184.162
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 6:11 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CoCo:

Good shots there, real good shots! Thanks for sharing!!

LC (larro)
5-Doyen
Username: larro

Post Number: 180
Posted From: 68.39.229.51
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 6:28 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CoCo, View post on R&B Showcase. Katherine will be interviewed tommow night on radio. Hope you can listen to it. This show will also be heard world-wide via internet.

CoCo (chicklit)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 130
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 6:55 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Katherine was the tall one of the group, back center.

Kat. Regal. A beautiful woman. Michigan, 2004.

Gladys Horton performing in California. You can see her without the mask, in the photo below. 2004.

(Message edited by chicklit on February 28, 2005)

CoCo (chicklit)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 131
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 7:08 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gladys Horton in stage costume, yet removed the mask. California, 2004.

CoCo (chicklit)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 133
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 8:26 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kat, Gladys & Wanda................2nd.. Kat is at top right.

lois mc donald (loissteam)
2-Debutant
Username: loissteam

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 68.118.33.239
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 11:21 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Such wonderful photos Co Co. I don't know where you get all of these gems that you so freely share. Thank you, thank you!

Kat is such a wonderful lady. I am so glad to see her group, the legendary Marvelettes, finally getting some much deserved and long overdue recognition. They have given me so much pleasure over the years.

moonbeam (moonbeam)
6-Zenith
Username: moonbeam

Post Number: 884
Posted From: 205.188.116.134
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 12:43 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SOMEONE TELL GLADYS HORTON, THAT I WANT TO BE A PART OF HER GROUP. I CAN DO WANDA ROGERS PART. ON THE SONG DONT MESS WITH BILL. SO GLADYS IF U NEED ME, IN AM MOONBEAM11217@AOL.COM PEACE AND LOVE.

david_meikle (david_meikle)
6-Zenith
Username: david_meikle

Post Number: 839
Posted From: 81.130.211.124
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 6:33 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much for sharing these images CoCo.

David

Randy Russi (randy_russi)
6-Zenith
Username: randy_russi

Post Number: 527
Posted From: 169.139.180.100
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 10:26 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GREAT photos!!!! Thank you so much.

CoCo (chicklit)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 10:52 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Juanita,.... Georgeanna,..Gladys,.... Wanda,... Katherine.
The photo that inspired the Stamps.

CatMarvelettes (kat)
2-Debutant
Username: kat

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 152.163.100.134
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 11:00 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had forgotten about some of these photos, where did you get them, boy oh boy time brings about so many changes. You have a great collection.
love Kat

CatMarvelettes (kat)
2-Debutant

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 11:04 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

co-co, I forgot to tell you YES we did have on wooden shoes, with the outfit. And they hurt your feet when you're not use to them. haha
kat

CoCo (chicklit)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 11:55 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kat
Thanks for dropping in.
I know what yew mean girl, them wooden shoes give a girl some awfull blisters.
Those folded dutch white hats on your heads was copied for that 60s TV Show, The Flying Nun.

Have fun doing the radio show tonite.
I know yew will.
Keep dewing what yer dewing to keep the original Marvelettes legacy alive.
You alright Miss Katherine Marvelette, for who YOU are.

A pleasure gabbin witt ya girlfriend Katherine, Ill run now, gotta go mash some potatas for my man.

Common (common)
3-Pundit
Username: common

Post Number: 56
Posted From: 209.2.55.178
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 11:57 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone,

I was just marvelling at the wonderful Marvelette photos & made an interesting observation. Is it my imagination or could Wanda Rogers & Tammi Terrell could've been sisters?? Except for Tammi's large eyes, they could've passed for twins. They look to have the same petite shape, skin color & facial structure. Just an observation on my part....:-)

Peace!

Soul Sister (soul_sister)
6-Zenith
Username: soul_sister

Post Number: 4051
Posted From: 68.170.200.248
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 12:36 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CoCo;
Great photos, nice collection!!
S.S.

2-Debutant

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 12:42 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kat, I wish you well tonight on the radio! When I watch you and your moves on my video of you ladies at the Apollo 1963, I stand in awe of your vocal abilities and those dance moves. You ladies had it goin' on. To this date, still one of the best performances EVER on video I have ever seen, by anyone!!

CoCo (chicklit)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 12:55 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Katherine (Kat) is posed at left in most of these photos with the exception of the pink gowns & the pic with the TV camera at right, whereas she is center in both photos. Katherine is in each photo, all photos.

Tony Russi (tony_russi)
6-Zenith
Username: tony_russi

Post Number: 629
Posted From: 68.157.10.82
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 12:59 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The above are great rare pix!!

CoCo (chicklit)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 1:09 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gladys Horton, Original Marvelette. 2003

Gary (gary)
6-Zenith
Username: gary

Post Number: 679
Posted From: 66.73.238.5
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 1:24 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CoCo...these pictures are amazing. Thanks for posting these shots of my all-time favorite female vocal group.

Kat...if you are reading this, you ladies look every bit as lovely now as you did back in the day. No jive, just fact.

SDF (handsome)
6-Zenith
Username: handsome

Post Number: 998
Posted From: 170.118.158.14
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 3:04 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice pixs CoCo!

You solved a mystery for me too...in the picture of the Marvelettes in the pink dresses, that's Ann Bogan & not Gladys. In my lp Anthology, I thought it was Gladys.

Where were they & what were they singing? Does anybody know?

That's a hot picture along with the one with the green short dresses on (with Ann).

I always thought Ms. Kat was pretty:-)

Handsome

CoCo (chicklit)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 5:29 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your welcome all. Yall inspirate.
One must make a devine welcoming space when the legend Katherine Marvelette is in da house !

Correct SDF, the girl in the pick dresses photo, as with the green dresses, doing the jerk, is not Gladys. Only those 2 photos, are without Gladys.
All other trio photos, Gladys, Wanda & Kat,.

Lois MacDonald says.
When I watch you and your moves on my video of you ladies at the Apollo 1963, I stand in awe of your vocal abilities and those dance moves. You ladies had it goin' on. To this date, still one of the best performances EVER on video I have ever seen, by anyone!!

CoCo says:
Lois, I know you were talking to Kat, but may I respond & say that performance is ULTIMATE.
I have seen that tape. Did you see when the brother in the front row got the spirit & jump the stage. The girls kept right on doing it.
I learned from a credable source that the Marvelettes, as a group, created their own stage choreography.
Those high kicking, arm weaving, undulating, twistin, shimmy shake down, Marvelette dance moves on that Motown review 1963 is powerful !

This was a time before Cholly Atkins stepped in.
Mr Cholly, the creative genius, who was responsible for the Motown jazz, slick stage routines, choreography.
The Marvelettes practiced & created their own routines.
Amazing !

Tony Russi (tony_russi)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 630
Posted From: 68.157.10.82
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 5:43 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, CoCo before '65 all the artists were responsible for their stage presentation...the Marvelettes were always known for their great LIVE appearances and the artists still had in-put after Cholly came on board. I remember Cholly saying that Kat was his anchor in the Marvelettes.

CoCo (chicklit)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 145
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 6:51 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soul Sister (soul_sister)
6-Zenith
Username: soul_sister

Post Number: 4059
Posted From: 68.170.200.248
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 6:53 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome Co Co!!

S.S.

CoCo (chicklit)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 146
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 7:30 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Three legends from that MotorTown Review 1963 tour.
Kat with Rosalind & Annette of The Vandellas. 2004..........Kat & Gladys wig workin the bows!

Cool Ju (cool_ju)
5-Doyen
Username: cool_ju

Post Number: 274
Posted From: 64.12.116.134
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 7:53 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pics!!! Keep 'em coming!!!

2-Debutant

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 9:53 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If only I could find a bow like that for one of my wigs! I LOVE that look and, of course, love the Marvelettes!

stephanie (stephanie)
3-Pundit
Username: stephanie

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 68.49.193.164
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 11:27 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man Katherine looks great. That pic with them looking really chic reminds me of the Supremes with wanda and that flip over her eye..
Steph

Cool Ju (cool_ju)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 276
Posted From: 68.42.77.160
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 3:59 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kat, in those pics you gals are pretty!!!
I'll bet you were stopping traffic on the Boulevard!

Juicefree20 (juicefree20)
6-Zenith
Username: juicefree20

Post Number: 4228
Posted From: 24.46.184.162
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 5:23 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Morning!

Hi Kat!! It's great to see you here. Have you spoken with Tim lately? Congrats again on receiving your Gold record & I hope that you'll continue coming back often.

CoCo: I'm in awe of your collection. You truly have some great vintage photos there. Excellent presentation....EXCELLENT!!!

Those pictures are also further evidence that I was simply born too soon. Ain't nothing like looking at good looking & talented women :-)

Thanks for sharing these!

LC (larro)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 183
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 11:03 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to those e-mailing, making contact and calling radio station supporting Katherine of Marvelettes & Motown Alumni Assoc. Brother also being interveiwed from the south-side of the boarder last night on R&B Showcase radio show. At first I thought we may have had to cancel show due to snow.
We will be replaying Katherine's interview on radio show program soon to help support "Now That I Can Dance", play and life story of The Marvelettes that's going to take place in downtown Detroit in month of May.
We are going to also follow-up on up-dates on The Motown Reveiw Show Tour featuring, Martha Reeves, Miracles, Commodores, Brenda Holloway, Kim Weston, Jr. Walker Band,Velvelettes, Bobby Taylor and more. Motown Alumni Assoc. are looking for additional sponsors, supporters, comments of interest, inquiry or anyone interested input please contact Motown Alumini.com.....It would be NICE to see Gladys Horton of Marvelettes on this show and tour. Your contacts and support can help Gladys be included.
This is strictly a Marvelettes posting. I'll post an additional posting on The Motown Alumi Motown Review Tour.
It's been awhile since Glady Horton has performed on the east-coast.
Again, additional sponsors are welcome.

Nosey (nosey)
6-Zenith
Username: nosey

Post Number: 740
Posted From: 66.153.113.238
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 11:07 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy, my favorite female Motown Group! Gee, the picture with them wearing the collarless suit and Wanda with her flip looks just like me back in the day! I wore that same type suit, same hairstyle with the necklace! Talk about deja vu!

JAI NANCE (rhythm66)
5-Doyen
Username: rhythm66

Post Number: 277
Posted From: 138.238.41.128
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 11:08 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW,I'M BLOWN AWAY BY THESE MAGNIFICENT PHOTOS OF MY FAVORITE GIRL GROUP,FANTASTIC!!

CoCo (chicklit)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 162
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 8:01 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LCLaro says:
We will be replaying Katherine's interview on radio show program soon to help support "Now That I Can Dance", play and life story of The Marvelettes that's going to take place in downtown Detroit in month of May.

CoCo says:
LC, do you have the dates in May for the play.
If this thread is still here, can you keep us posted here, in this Katherine Marvelette tribute thread for updates and follow ups.
If this thread is gone archives, can I ask you give a clear heading titile for a new thread.
I wouldnt want to miss out on insite because I missed on on your post.
I just may attend any play in Detroit based on the Marvellettes. May is good. Please let us know.

Thanks folks for your kind words and feedback on the idea design, of this Katherine Marvelettes thread.
There is a very good chance that Kat will come back and see all these kind and supportive words as she is a very appreciative personality.

LC (larro)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 185
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 9:11 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CoCo, I will give Katherine a call, asking her if she would post the two month of May weekend dates, name of play "Now That I Can Dance", will take place, name of theater and location. Personally, I feel with Kat herself posting this information, it will received much more impact.
She would love to see as many Marvelettes fans, and viewers possible, come out to support this first time play ever displyed on The Marvelettes (original memebrs) 'LIFE STORY'...
I've read the script and think CEO...producer did a marvelous job. I can't wait to see it performed "LIVE" on stage. The Marvelettes were one of my favorite not only Motown female recording groups but, female groups "PEROID". I've seen them perform many, many times.
Katherine is very, very, very excited about this play and I can't blame her.

marv (marv)
5-Doyen
Username: marv

Post Number: 221
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 12:11 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this is may not sound right, but as much as I love Gladys Horton and all the Marvelettes, why didn't Motown pay for dental work when I know they did that for other performers at the company? She rarely smiles in any of the old pics.

CoCo (chicklit)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 12:11 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#1, Kat is at top right...#2, Kat at center. #3 & #4, below, Kat is at left.

LC (larro)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 188
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 12:15 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CoCo, nice pictures....Katherine told me she will try posting information on name of theater,dates, times an location of theater, tomorrow, where play will take place.

hartfordman (hartfordman)
4-Laureate
Username: hartfordman

Post Number: 162
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 12:15 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coco...keep em coming. These pictures are awesome! Some I remember from the past but others are a true surprise. Thanks for sharing.

CoCo (chicklit)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 169
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 12:22 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apollo. This one is for Lois.

CoCo (chicklit)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 171
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 12:29 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LClaro says:
CoCo, nice pictures....Katherine told me she will try posting information on name of theater,dates, times an location of theater, tomorrow, where play will take place.

CoCo says:
LCllaro, Thanks for your time & efforts in supporting a great lady & following up on info. You are very kind. Hi from CoCo.

3-Pundit

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 12:39 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Co Co thank you so much for this picture. The Marvelettes at the Apollo, one of the greatest girl group performances ever captured on film. Those girls could dance AND sing! The first time I witnessed this magic moment my jaw dropped, my eyes bulged, my knees weakened, I dropped my purse and I felt the earth move. Absolutely an incredible performance. It was historic, without a doubt. Thank you Co Co and more importantly, thank you Marvelettes!

LC (larro)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 189
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 12:40 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"WOW", CoCo......How many more great Marvelettes rare pictures do you have? Katherine is very impressed. We talked about how precious your picture collection appears to be. Kat made a comment on the photo with Stevie Wonder. She said she wondered where and how did you get that one. Kat said your photo's bring back lots of memories.

3-Pundit

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 12:46 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know how many more photos Co Co might share, but I do know we need to have a scrapbook party! Whatcha' say Co Co?

stephanie (stephanie)
3-Pundit
Username: stephanie

Post Number: 67
Posted From: 68.49.193.164
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 3:01 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man the Marvelettes had the best dance steps of any girl group at Motown ..
Stephanie

Cool Ju (cool_ju)
5-Doyen

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 10:44 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CoCo, are they on Belle Isle in the pic you posted in the lower right corner of your post on March 1 at 11:11 p.m? Backdrop seems like Belle Isle. Also, clothes are similar to ones worn on cd insert of 80's reissue of the "pink album."

(Message edited by Cool Ju on March 02, 2005)

CatMarvelettes (kat)
2-Debutant

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 1:18 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

coco, who ever you are????????? I love those pictures, and the placards, that you used to put on telephone poles, where did you get those, I have seen some of those things in YEARS. You have more pictures of me than I do, hahaha boy this is great, seeing those pix. I'd love to see your collection, it's great!!!!!!!!

CoCo (chicklit)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 1:30 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awwwww shucks !..it was nuthin.
Katherine, I am glad you like it, I am not looking to be singled out for recognition but thank you...cause this is all for you dear.
Its about you.
Cause you is admired and respected as you have just personally just witnessed in what these fine folks had to say bout cha on this thread.

Katherine darling, As Kojack used ta say, Who loves ya baby...CoCo does.

CatMarvelettes (kat)
2-Debutant

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 1:30 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Gary, thank you baby.
to handsome, you're going to make me get an ego, and the place was the 20 Grand, here in detroit. I don't know what we were singing?
To all thank s for your kind words, it blows my mind...........Kat

Randy Russi (randy_russi)
6-Zenith
Username: randy_russi

Post Number: 535
Posted From: 169.139.180.100
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 1:32 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great collection! Again, thanks for sharing.
I love to see the old posters as I remember
them all over the town on telephone poles,
in store windows, etc.
Globe Posters did those and at one time were
going to have a website archive. Anyone
have any info on this?

CoCo (chicklit)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 179
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 1:37 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P.S. Kat, In looking at the collection of photos, you were stylish, most elegant and you always seem to know just what wig to wear.
Yes, you always did.

CoCo (chicklit)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 181
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 2:58 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony Russi (tony_russi)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 634
Posted From: 68.157.29.88
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 3:13 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey CoCo, I have both of those LPS ,my Tamla 229 cover is different and is called "The Marvelettes Sing" The record label is solid white.

CoCo (chicklit)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 183
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 3:31 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a long shot of The Marvelettes.
You can see Katherine was indeed the tallest of the girls.
I love the spotlight truely captivaling the essence of the girls.

SDF (handsome)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 3:53 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ms. Kat!

Just telling it like it is. The Marveletes always exuded a different/unique type of beauty from the other Motown girl groups..I also include Ms. Ann Bogan in my statement:-)

Coco, Do you have a picture of the Sophisticated Soul lp (back & front)? I LOVE THAT LP COVER! I personally appreciate your pictures...Keep'em Coming!

Handsome

CoCo (chicklit)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 185
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 5:11 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chiffon !!!!

SDF (handsome)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 6:41 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Coco:-)

Handsome

CoCo (chicklit)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 187
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 6:46 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

4-Laureate

Post Number: 166
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 11:11 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Marvelettes are a KNOCKOUT!!! Though I hardly seen the girls on TV in the 60s their music was played constantly on AM radio in the day. One of my favorite songs by the girls is "Young and In Love". The Spring of 1967 this kid at the time fell deeply in love with that song. Another is "When the Hunter Gets Captured." My favorite line is "what's this whole world coming to, things just aint the same..." A salute to Katherine and the ladies of song. Thank you for the music and mostly the memories for your music played a big role in my growing up years.

4-Laureate

Post Number: 167
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 11:12 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To add, I found Wanda to be the sexiest, but I found Katherine to always be the prettiest.

CatMarvelettes (kat)
2-Debutant

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 8:07 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Everyone, there was so many people that listened to the radio show I did the other day that ask about the play. So I 'm going to give the infomation to you now that way L.C. won't have to .........
The internationally-acclaimed MOSAIC YOUTH THEATRE OF DETROIT presents the WORLD premiere of NOW THAT I CAN DANCE-MOTOWN,1962, an original play spotlighting the early days of Motown Record and Motown's first girl group, the MARVELETTES.
Created with support from the Motown Historical Museuemand the University of Mich. arts of Citzenship program the play is based on oral histories shared by MARVELETTE KATHERINE ANDERSON-SCHAFFNERand many other Motown pioneers.
the play will run 2 cosecutive week-ends, MAY 13th-15th and MAY 20th-22nd, Friday & Saturday performances at 8pm and Sunday matinees begin at 3p.m. For further info you may call Kimberly at (248) 307-0503 or Margaret at(313)872-6910, ext 4004
I'm really excited about the play, especially because it's young people, and anyone that knows me, know how much I love young people. Plus the kids can SANG.....Hahahaha..........kat

CoCo (chicklit)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 211
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 9:32 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Kat

Gary (gary)
6-Zenith
Username: gary

Post Number: 689
Posted From: 67.38.4.248
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 9:41 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've already marked those dates on my calendar.

mel(andthensome) (mel)
6-Zenith
Username: mel

Post Number: 1277
Posted From: 81.154.133.47
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 10:45 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ABSOLUTLEY BRILLIANT THREAD........
MANY THANKS............

mel

Tony Russi (tony_russi)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 641
Posted From: 68.210.25.4
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 9:22 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kat. Randy & I would love to be there.You never know.I'm tryin to save my pennies.

Nosey (nosey)
6-Zenith
Username: nosey

Post Number: 754
Posted From: 66.153.113.238
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 11:34 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kat, I was a teenager dancing to your music. One of the cutest songs imo was "Beechwood 45789" and I absolutely loved "Strange I know" We use to add some naughty lyrics to Beechwood; I won't disrespect this thread but one day when I meet you I'll tell them to you. (They're really innocent when you compare them to what's being said today.)

You brought me so much joy, fun and trouble as my parents would catch me singing and dancing and not doing my chores. LOL!

CoCo (chicklit)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 219
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 1:20 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CoCo (chicklit)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 223
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 2:23 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony Russi (tony_russi)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 644
Posted From: 68.210.25.4
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 2:33 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know Kats arm will be sore after signing that stack of LPs...I have 'em all too.

SDF (handsome)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 5:24 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gone Coco with the pictures! :-)

This is a great thread!

God Bless You Ms. Kat!

Handsome

stone love (stone_love)
4-Laureate
Username: stone_love

Post Number: 113
Posted From: 24.127.87.111
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 8:48 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THESE ARE SOME GREAT PHOTO'S OF THE MARVELETTES. I JUST PRAY FOR WONDER ROGERS. LONG LIVE THE MUSIC OF THE MARVELETTES. KATHERINE AND GLADY KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

Blue Magic/Tammi Terrell (byron_woods)
3-Pundit
Username: byron_woods

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 10:46 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CoCo, You laid it out!! Nice Pics on The Marvelettes!! Kat, I know this was a wonderful trip down memory lane...In Da Mix Baby!
Peace,
Byron J. Woods

roddee (rod_rick)
4-Laureate
Username: rod_rick

Post Number: 116
Posted From: 198.81.26.46
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 9:21 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After looking at these pics, it confirmed what I always felt. "The tall one is the pretty one in the group". Kat you have it going on. I know they always said Wanda was the pretty one but these pic dispute that big time.
Thanks for great shots

Jimmy Mack (luke)
6-Zenith
Username: luke

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 9:59 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I have said before-the two most beautiful women at Motown-Katherine Anderson and Mary Wilson.

Lady Mystique (ladymystique)
6-Zenith
Username: ladymystique

Post Number: 1635
Posted From: 24.238.79.85
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 10:04 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh wow! LOVE the pictures! Wow check out the wigs with the bow! :-)

I have posted another link on this group...I have the ultimate collection CD and I love the songs! :-)

CoCo (chicklit)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 236
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 11:38 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kat up front.

Lady Mystique (ladymystique)
6-Zenith
Username: ladymystique

Post Number: 1640
Posted From: 24.238.79.85
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 1:49 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out those dresses...wow! :-)

CoCo (chicklit)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 247
Posted From: 66.131.250.28
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 8:20 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CoCo (chicklit)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 248
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 8:32 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

motownking (motownking)
5-Doyen
Username: motownking

Post Number: 186
Posted From: 66.107.109.254
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 8:42 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Were the above pictures taken at Belle Isle? Thanks Coco.

CatMarvelettes (kat)
2-Debutant

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 205.188.116.138
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 12:03 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, they were taken at BelleIsle, boy o boy you are very aware of your city..........kat

motownking (motownking)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 187
Posted From: 65.170.144.49
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 1:13 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kat. Thanks. when I purchased that albumn in 69,& saw the publicity shots, I said this looks like Belle Isle. Love ya.

roger (roger)
5-Doyen
Username: roger

Post Number: 314
Posted From: 217.35.87.17
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 1:41 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone.

Firstly I must say how WONDERFUL it is to have an original member of THE MARVELETTES posting here. "Hunter Gets Captured by the Game" is my personal favourite by THE MARVELETTES .. closely followed by "Don't Mess With Bill" ( and many others!! ) and being able to communicate with someone who actually recorded such fantastic recordings is one of the things that makes this forum so tremendous.

And, of course, the pictures are great too!!

The top left photo posted by CoCo on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 12:20 pm is very obviously ( to me at least ) taken in Trafalgar Square in London, with The National Gallery at the back left, and St Martins in the Fields church at the back right. The scene is almost exactly identical today, except that the road in front of The National Gallery was pedestrianised last year.

Judging from the cars it would have been taken in the late 60's.

The top right photo looks like it could be somewhere on the river Thames, but I can't place the exact location. Am I right Kat?

Roger

5-Doyen

Post Number: 193
Posted From: 206.213.209.31
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 3:25 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi Kat. I want to say its great hearing from you on this site. I have the Marvelettes Anthology album I bought back in 1975. I was so glad Motown had released one on you ladies. I still play it (now that I bought a turntable not too long ago). I had my mom listen to "FOREVER" for she use to play that song back in the day. I was a youngster at the time but I remember the house parties my mom gave and my auntie was a teen at the time and loved that song when she would visit us from NY.

On Motown 1998 special I was impressed with how you ladies got down to business performing. I never seen you ladies perform on Ed Sullivan and I might have missed your hullabaloo performances and Shingding peformances. But when I saw clips of you ladies moving and grooving, especially the Apollo tour and the one where you ladies were stepping in your black slacks singing "Don't Mess With Bill" I was impressed. Man, you girls moved in style. I would love to have these clippings of your LIVE performances so I'll just keep looking out as to when and where I can purchase a DVD. Thanks for responding to us on this site. You're the best!

CoCo (chicklit)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 256
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 1:45 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Lester (theboyfromxtown)
5-Doyen
Username: theboyfromxtown

Post Number: 276
Posted From: 81.154.167.26
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 6:44 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roger

I chose those pics for the US Millennium Collection. As a Brit, I was biased in choosing that pic of Trafalgar Square! The picture on the boat also seems to be from Europe, however, bunched with other pictures, it appears to be Amsterdam

Cool Ju (cool_ju)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 306
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 3:07 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Kat & Motownking, if you go back on the thread, I peeped that they were taken at Belle Isle, too! I recoginzed the trees (lol).

Dinelle (dinelle_watson)
6-Zenith
Username: dinelle_watson

Post Number: 956
Posted From: 68.222.12.101
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 3:15 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool pictures, Coco.

CoCo (chicklit)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 262
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 3:19 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

K, W & G.

P.J. (pj1)
4-Laureate
Username: pj1

Post Number: 91
Posted From: 69.72.15.161
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 5:13 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CoCo,
How did you achieve the photographic negative effect of the above picture?

Clay (cmm)
2-Debutant
Username: cmm

Post Number: 21
Posted From: 68.61.196.238
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 11:20 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow....These are some great memory photos......I
recently saw Katherine at Edward Pattons services in Detroit and she looks great. I hug her every chance I get since I've had a secret CRUSH on her for 30yrs
.....LOL and I think she knows........Great Pictures

CoCo (chicklit)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 263
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 5:20 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

K, W & G.

CatMarvelettes (kat)
2-Debutant

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 10:39 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CoolJu-I really laughed at comment, thanks for the laughter--
Roger, I think the one with me in orange, was taken in the UK, the other was taken in Amsterdam, we used to take so many pictures during that time, especially overseas. Who knew that we would still be talked about over 40+ years later. WHO KNEW...........KAT

SDF (handsome)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 2:39 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ms. Kat, we love you!

You deserve so many accolades! What was Motown without the Marvelettes? You will live on, in the hearts of many!

Never forget that:-)

Handsome

Cool Ju (cool_ju)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 307
Posted From: 205.188.116.138
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 2:56 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank YOU, Kat. The things you and the others did probably will be talked about for a long, long, long time!

CoCo (chicklit)
5-Doyen

Posted From: 66.131.250.249
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 6:46 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kat

SDF (handsome)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 6:58 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CoCo, keep going with the pictures:-)

Thanks a lot!

I'm really enjoying this thread!

Handsome

CoCo (chicklit)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 278
Posted From: 66.131.250.249
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 7:02 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LC (larro)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 213
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 8:08 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CoCo, anymore pictures? Just when I thought you've run out, you keep coming back with more impressive photo's.
You've really made this thread very remarkable.

3-Pundit

Post Number: 56
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 1:00 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so glad I found this thread. I thought it had disappeared forever and was just sick about it. Then I saw the new Platinum Thread section and poked in here. There it was, this Marvelette thread that is just priceless. Thank you Co Co for this Marvelette tribute. And the photos, remarkable!

CoCo (chicklit)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 287
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 11:21 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Wilson, President of Motown Historic Alumni A, chats up with Kat. 2004.

CoCo (chicklit)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 289
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 12:14 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CoCo (chicklit)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 290
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 12:42 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gold! L.C. a kind soul.

CoCo (chicklit)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 291
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 1:50 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G & K.

CoCo (chicklit)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 295
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 2:25 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like millions of folks today, Gladys prefers not to utilize commerical airlines. A fear of flying. Yet many moons ago, Gladys braves a forced smile as she & Kat board Pan American.

CoCo (chicklit)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 296
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 2:28 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G.H.Rehearsal.

CoCo (chicklit)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 297
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 2:41 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 420
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 1:39 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 424
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 10:09 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DRIVINGWHEEL (drivingwheel)
4-Laureate
Username: drivingwheel

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 12:28 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the Great alternate shots, CoCo!!
Very Nice!

LC (larro)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 240
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 1:03 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really nice pictures CoCo. I am hoping that you will be attending the Marvelettes play and take more pictures to post on this thread. CoCo you've by all means have made this joyous very successful thread what it is. Things would not have been the same without your imput.

LC (larro)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 256
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 4:18 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CoCo, view Marvelettes under upcoming performances on Forum.

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 466
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 11:00 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi LC.
Thanks.
I will go check out that forum.
I do hope that you take some pics.
Its comforting to know that on Soulful, there is a great & heartwarming demand for info on the Motown's first girl group, The Marvelous Marvelettes !!!

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 483
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 5:08 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

4-Laureate

Post Number: 123
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 5:12 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lead Singer??..........Did Motown label the girls this way, or was this something Gladys put together?

Nifty Item!!

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 492
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 8:58 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drivingwheel says:
Lead Singer??.......Did Motown label the girls this way, or was this something Gladys put together?
Nifty Item!!

CoCo says...
Driving Wheel..Excuse me, If I may reach over & switch gears.
Hello, May I refer you to Motown archives or the commonly known, 'yahoo messageboards' ?
I hope you may find answers to your questions.
Take care. All the best.

Now, In an effort to express sentiment & not to sound cheesy..
Thanks so much to all involved here, this specific thread, seems to have maintained great harmony in the perspective, of the purpose, or theme:
Paying respect to The Marvelettes.

We know Katherine was touched by ALL our attributes.
As she has said so, here, personally.

If I may say, for ALL OF US who participated, it certainly is a refresher that on a social, humanistic level we have said some very kind thoughts, maintained the obvious words of 'love' in this tribute.
Maintained a very classy thread.

Acknowledging these ladies, their accomplishments & having Katherine, personally respond, to express her gratitued....well..
Its all very gratifying & rather quite moving...yes??

From all of us to you, Katherine, and the girls, in hopes you have a terrific turnout for the play in May.
I will do my part, my best, to be there.
You deserve the best in everything !!

In continuation, with love & admiration, to Katherine Shaffner & all The remaining Original Marvelettes.

Sending all, good thoughts, good health in life..today and forever.

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 493
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 10:11 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Katherine (far left) joins her rightful along side original legenday ladies of Rock & Roll at a party following the "STAMP" unveiling ceremony in Cleveland Ohio.

Its really quite amazing when YOU/WE at home stop, think & internalize 'who' is actually in this room !
Yes, In the photo are ORIGINAL members of:

The Cookies
The Ronnettes
The Supremes
The Dixie Cups
M & The Vandellas
The Marvelettes
All Three members of The Angels
The Chantels
The Crystals
The Velvelettes
The Shirelles
of course, Motown's first girl group....
The Marvelettes.

LC (larro)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 274
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 10:16 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

View Marvelettes thread post on upcoming performances.

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 539
Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 6:00 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now That I Can Dance.
A great play loosely based on Motown's first girl group, The Fabulous Marvelettes, opened last night.

The play was sensational !
All 1500 seats sold out !
Lots of press Motown alumni & legendary
artists.
The children on stage really did outshine
themselves.
Some 'Funny' moments, such as the girls 'swooning' as they meet Marvin Gaye for the first time, at Hitsville.

There is a narrator throughout the play.

I won't get into the detailed script of the play, just to say it is... heartwarming.

Everyone seemed to love it, thought it was
fabulous & expressed compliments in the isles & during the photo shoot that took place in the lobby at the end of the play, where people were gathered & constantly expressing the 'thrill' of it all.

All those flashes popping off !

Each original individual Supreme, Vandella, Marvelette were portrayed by an actress !

There was an entire section blocked off for
the great original Motown legends.

Of course, Marvelettes Georgia (who cowrote Mr
Postman) & Katherine Anderson Shaffner were in attendance.
They were obviously so proud. I am sure.
Bless those ladies. Thank you for touching our hearts with your legacy, your imagine, your song.

Of course, original Vandellas, Annette & Rosalind were in attendance, as they too were very active during pre post production.

Martha was there.
One of the Contors showed up.
Bobby Rogers of The Miracles was in the house, Bobby, as we know, was once the husband of
Wanda, of the Marvelettes.
Miss Powell was in attendence.
Ester Gordy was there.

I know, I know it was somthang !

The blessed children did a wonderful job of unfolding some famed music history, of the magical Motown era....

Congrats to all involved in your fine work.
hugs to Kat.

This is a great opportunity to support, attend and open your heart to this wonderful journey down memory lane.

Tony Russi (tony_russi)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 792
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 1:57 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was there any mention of Mary Wells in the play?Just wondering. Wish I could have been there. Great that it was a sell out!Thanks CoCo.

motownking (motownking)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 206
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 8:25 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CoCo - Do you have a cast list? Thanks

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 542
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 12:58 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Motown King, yes I do have the cast list.

Tony
Yes oh yes there was a mention of Mary Wells, of course there was. All the Motown acts were mentioned. All of them !

With all those bright, sweet, eager kids up there sangin', it was a emotional rollercoaster for even any modest Motown fan with the slightest interest.
It would take a sour man to resist this irrisitable production.

Oh yes, the impact of it all, made me cry, laugh, cry, laugh.
I had to slap maself out of it, as Kat was in the seat directly in front of me with her family, watching significant moments in her life, uifold, right in front of her, on that stage. Please oh please.

Vandellas, Annette & Roz were there too !

The costumes were adorable...and the rendition of the MotowrTown review had us gaping with open mouth 'gasp" !

I mean how does one simply 'maintain' with all this happening.

LC (larro)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 286
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 11:33 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an invitation reception upstairs before showtime. Maxine Power was also in attendance.
Yes, "Now That I Can Dance" was really something to see. Excellent job well done.

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 547
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 10:10 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi LC
I didnt know what to expect when I took my seat.
Then I got a glimps of the legendary Motown people in the front section.
I thought, OK, somethang is gonna happen here.

It was indeed a great show.

The boy portraying Stevie Wonder, touching boobs, all clever playing around with the girls.
The girl playing Wanda, doing the hoochie strutt across the stage.
The girl that played Diane, yelling at Berry for a hit record, she did the buggy eyed really good.
Oh yes she did.

All them carrying on on the Motortown Review bus..fabulous...please oh please.

I tell you that "Apollo '62' " revival was the highlight.
All those Motown acts coming together on one stage and dewing it !
Those kids could sang..and dance.

I noticed Kat was crying at the end, when that girl who portrayed her, was telling how her mama wanted her to finish High School..and Kat did eventually get her diploma later in life.
I cried too.

It all really touched my soul way down deep.

moonbeam (moonbeam)
6-Zenith
Username: moonbeam

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 8:00 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TO ME KAT WAS THE SEXY LOOKING ONE. WANDA WAS SENSUAL, AND GLADYS WITH THOSE DIMPLES WAS THE ALLURING ONE.

LC (larro)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 288
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 2:17 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was happy to hear that Wanda Rodgers finally showed up, coming out to see and support "Now That I Can Dance". It was conveyed to me on the second night of first weekend performance Wanda attended along with her two sisters and the audience exploded with glee when she was announced being out in the audience making her feel some kind of wonderful and truly appreciated, unforgotten and respected .
Attendance wise for both weekends did very well. Opening night was completley sold-out. Some people went to see it more than once.
For those who did not get to see this excellent play in Detroit to my understanding "Now That I Can Dance" maybe appearing at other theaters. It's one you must see.

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 556
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 7:00 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bless dear Wanda.

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 562
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 1:14 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

K.W.

Yes it was great these ladies were in attendance. Fabulous. Historical !

I really do hope that the play is transformed into an American mainstream industry.

I am not speaking from a bias perception when I say I believe this play has all the makings for a successful business enterprise...yes, I am sure we can agree that its time for the so called 'backup singers' (I dont like that term) to take the spot light...to take the glory limelight.. again !

LC (larro)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 322
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 2:25 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now, we can look forward to seeing our original Marvelettes being inducted into Vocal Group Hall Of Fame, July 5,6, and 7, in Wildwood New Jersey.
Another good year for our girls. Gladys Horton is scheduled to sing and perform.
Yes, let's keep this spread "ALIVE".

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 566
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 9:06 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goody Goody. Hail Marvelettes.
Enjoy every waking precious moment in Wildwood.
Victory !!

The beauty of it all,
Marvelettes Live On Stage
& will be Live "On Stage' again in 2005 !

4-Laureate

Post Number: 112
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 9:38 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations Marvelettes! And a special thank you to Kat who has worked so hard in keeping the legacy and memories alive!

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 576
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 6:24 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

K.A.S. An inspiration to me....to all who come to know her.

Tony Russi (tony_russi)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 886
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 12:35 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful pix of "our" Ms. Katherine.

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 599
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 12:07 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kat at the Play, May, 05. Wanda Rogers is partically in view at left.

5-Doyen

Post Number: 201
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 7:35 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks very much for this photo, CoCo! Katherine has been riding a nice wave of publicity since the Girl Group Stamp Ceremony. Is the photo of Wanda available?

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 600
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 7:15 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your welcome.

Hey Tony, How are you ? I agree with you & Lois, it sure is a great pic of Kat.
Kat photographs well. Today a handsome, attractive woman.
Happily, In terms of The Marvelette legacy, with recent ceremonies, the play, etc, its comforting to know she is having a good year !

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 603
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 9:04 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats to the Marvelettes on recieving the Vocal Group Hall Of fame award this week in Wildwood, New Jersey.

Gladys and Katherine were indeed in attendance to except the very presigious award as presented by Martha Reeves.

You girls so very much deserve all the good things that come your way.
xo

LC (larro)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 337
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 8:13 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was nicer than nice seeing both Gladys and Katherine up on stage receiving their well deserved Vocal Group Hall Of Fame, Induction Award. I was sitting at same table near front of stage with Gladys, Martha and Gladys Horton son Sammy. Gladys let me hold and read the printed engravings on her award when she returned to table.
I really do like the way Mary Wilson on stage publically, spoke about The Marvelettes with respect telling the audience the Marvelettes were the very first Motown girl group to pave the way at Motown and at one time wish she was a Vandella and Marvelette before she introduced Martha Reeves to introduce The Marvelettes. All of these Motown ladies together again on the same stage at the same time, supporting, honoring and proudly greeting one another. What a rear and beautiful sight it was to see.
Martha Reeves did an excellent job introducing The Marvelettes up on stage. She announced how before Charlie Atkins and Ms. Maxine Power came to Motown, Gladys Horton and each original Marvelettes memeber made up their very own dance steps to perform on stage and at one time could out dance The Temptations.
Both Katherine and Gladys looked nice on stage accepting their award and making their speech.It would have been more touching if Juanita and Wanda were there also in attendance as well.At table Gladys was asking, looking for and expecting to see Juantia at this induction.
Good to see Gladys Horton beginning to come out and attend some of these events.

CoCo, you are doing a fantastic job keeping this Marvelettes thread together and steady moving currently along. The pictures say so much and the fan fare articles show and tell how much this group was appreciated, loved and still loved, respected and remembered. I hope some Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame committee members are viewing this very historic and most knowledgable spread.

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 610
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 11:40 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since Wanda lives a private life out of the public eye, in respect for her privacy I asked a VERY close friend of hers if I could post this photo as there are many fans & friends who care and respect her.
I have recieved permission, the green light to do so.

Drivingwheel, with credibility, it has been brought to my attention, well, if you could please respect the rights of the members of Soulfull Detroit and PLEASE refrain from cropping & posting my SD captions on other messageboards boards.
Its safe to say, if they on other common messageboards want to read what we post here, they can tune in, visit and find out for themselves..

Also, Since you kindly asked for me to post this picture, I have made the effort for you and the many others who love Wanda for her very important role in Marvelette legacy.

Thanks LC. Sounds like you had quite a memorable time!
Knowing your love and respect for the Marvelettes and the legacy, thats a event you wont EVER forget !!
We ALL could be proud that this classy thread dedicated to Kat, all who contributed, with all the ingrediants of kind, respect and courteousness, has been chosen 'Platinum'.

4-Laureate

Post Number: 119
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 11:59 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Co Co, thank you for the awesome picture of Wanda. I haven't seen any pictures of her for years and there she is, sitting right next to darling Katherine. Two legends sitting together, what a lovely photo.

I hate when people cut and paste stuff from this board and then you see it elsewhere. Usually over at them Yahoo shark tanks or worse. In my humble opinion, (and I'm just a simple girl who takes nerve pills) if you want to share the news here in any of your little clubs, then post a link.

Again Co Co thank you, you are the BEST! So are them Marvelettes!!!!

5-Doyen

Post Number: 209
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 1:13 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will do, Coco......and thanx again for the historic picture! Katherine sent me a photo of her and Wanda taken in the '70s. I will e-mail Katherine and ask if I can post it here. May need your help! :-)

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 613
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 3:19 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DrivingWheel, No Thank you.
Sorry I wont be able to help you but thanks for your offer.

Yet I will keep an eye open, looking for your new thread On Soulful Detroit, to see your Marvelette pic, should it get posted. In terms of the Marvelettes, The more threads the better !!! I guess. I dunno.
Ill say again, "Your welcome" for the recent pic of Kat and Wanda.
It was my pleasure to do so for you, for all who tune in. Glad you appreciated it.
As a courtesay, I did get permission from a close friend of Wanda's, to post my personal photograph.
As I have said, Please respect the privacy of Wanda. Unlike Kat and Gladys, Wanda has not chosen to be in the public eye and of course we all respect that fact.

Lois, I agree, its GREAT to see a very 'recent' picture of Kat with Wanda. Two legends together watching the play.
You know & betcha there was an extra thrill in the air that night, with 2 Marvelettes in da house !
Lois, You may have something there, when you say it has been quite some years since most folks seen a updated pic of Wanda.

Lets hope this is not their year for recognition, but the next 5 YEARS will be their years, that more recognition and good things comes their way !

(Message edited by chicklit on July 09, 2005)

4-Laureate

Post Number: 120
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 3:20 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Co Co, I so agree. Question for you dear, did I spot you in the audience at this play at the Detroit Institue of Art? I swore I saw you, down front with the most gorgeous gold Kaftan surrounded by hot men. I leaned over and whispered to my husband, "That's gotta be that Co Co from over at Soulful Detorit!" Was that you?

CatMarvelettes (kat)
2-Debutant

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 4:58 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

iT'S SO NICE TO SEE THAT THIS THREAD IS STILL GOING,THANKS TO CO-CO FOR THE MANY PICTURES. BUT I DON'T LIKE THE IDEA OF SOMEONE CUTTING AND PASTING ANY PICTURE ON THIS SIGHT AND PUTTING THE OTHER SIGHTS, YES I KNOW THAT WE HAVE FANS ON MANY OTHER SIGHTS BUT IF THEY WANT TO SEE THE PICTURES ON THIS SIGHT THEY HAVE TO COME TO THE SIGHT ITSELF. ALSO PLEASE RESPECT THE PRIVACY OF WANDA. I THOUGHT THAT PEOPLE WANTED TO SEE HER NOW, SO I GAVE THE OK FOR IT TO BE PUT HERE. BUT NOT UNTIL I WAS ASK WAS IT PUT HERE

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 743
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 1:17 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kat.
Go on girl, tell it !
With admiration, dicipline & respect.
I just live & learn & now I know more than I did yesterday.
Kat, Hope all is swell with you & your loved ones.

Hi Everyone,
I know a few many of us have been checking out & purchasing the recent sale of the Teen Town & Motortown Review DVD/video.
Well, I just did purchase TeenTown & Motortown Review Apollo 63, from the seller, on the internet.
We gotta hope that someday Motown will digitalize Motortown 63 & put it on the market.
There is an audience for this classic.

This is my feedback.

THE MOTORTOWN REVIEW 63 Apollo Theater, that was video recorded...IS THE BEST PIECE OF ROCK & ROLL VIDEO !..I said it before..aint nothing like it before, since, will there ever be another in that league?
Doubt it.

The 'TAMMI That Was Rock' movie is up there close...but the Motortown Review Apollo 63 show. Amen.

In terms of the DVD, They hyped it up when adverstising & I was excitedingly anticpating its arrival in the mail.
Well, It finally arrived.

The visual quality of Apollo 63, is crap..but viewable.
In estimate, its as though it may have been copied over 10 times.
Yet, overall, I was happy to get the chance to see it in its entireity, despite the poor quality of the film.
Over the years, I have seen bits here & there ..it was good to see it all in one piece.

The moves, the soul, the voices, the style, the clothes, the audience jumping & responding with whales, screams, estatic pleas as if they all can't handle being entrapped in the state of 'ozmoses'....

Today, where on this universe would one witness such an landmark event of that caliber ?

Mary Wells had the audience in her back pocket.
She was a star ! The Star !...she had the credibilty.
She walked the walk and did her thang. Mercy.
Yea, hard to believe she was only 19 !
They were all so young.

The Miracles, with Claudette, rocked.
They was hot !
When Smokey slowly took of his suit jacket,
it was sending a message to the audience to 'brace oneself'

The Vandellas were eager, dancing & dewing it and in the meantime backing up handsome Marvin Gaye, who took his thang into next week !

In my opinion...The Marvelettes blew the roof of da sucka !
I was stunned when I saw it all happening, with my very own eyes, it took me somewhere to a different level, a level I never knew existed, in my love for musical entertainment.

I hit 'replay' more than once, cause I wanted to see each, individual member of The Marvelettes addin' their unique blend of 'spice'.....and perhaps as to gain insite, as to why them girls were giving the crowd a fever, knockin em in the isles with the mad zappo..
Puttin' them paying customers in a 'state'.

I came to the conclusion, that each girl was holding an individual prized personality ingrediant, of a super duper recipe !

Them Marvelous Marvelettes, It was all fast packed..zooming about the stage..
Highkickin, twirling, joltin', boltin', meeting precise marks, undulating, weaving & singing..
Yet they did it with what appeared as such, ease.
We all know it aint easy, its a very rare, blessed gift! ..and they got it !

As if the performance dynamics were, 'natural'.
They did it with such fineese, all the while in high heels !

I am sure once they left the stage ..it left one bewildered.."What just happened"?

The Great Cholly wasnt really in the picture during that early era.
Gladys & Kat have mentioned, that the members of The Marvelettes, created, learned & practiced their own routines.
Its their magical stuff !

Warning ! Dont try this at home ! Alone !

When watching the articulate moves from the DVD, should you play the FOOL & try to copy the precise, original, classic, speed weaving undulates, be sure someone is there of some medical knowledge, who has the ability to pick one off the floor, who lies helpless, out of breath, in a pitaful twisted heap !

Take it from me, I outta know ! Ouch !

Thanks Kat, thats one small, but great piece of The Marvelette legacy, a piece of your legacy !

xoxo
CoCo

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 754
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 1:27 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Juanita....... Gladys....... Kat....Georgeanna....Wanda

Katherine (Kat) Anderson Shaffner xo

LC (larro)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 352
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 10:16 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "PLAYBOY" Lp was one of my favorite Marvelettes albums. I think it was Gladys Horton and the girls behind her at their very best. Such a full sound and when ever I listen to "I'm Hook" and hear that hip, crisp, slick finger pop part, even today, it makes me think and takes me way back, to when I use to see the Marvelous (foursome) ones come to my hometown and "Mix It Up" and doing their very own, real down pack work-out thing on stage.
Lord knows these girls could really hold their own and would really work the stage like no other, any where, any place and any time, once upon a time. "Goddess Of Love" and "Forever" I play on the radio air still today. Wanda Rodgers, what a voice, what a piece of talent and show stopper, what a beautiful and pretty thing to look at "YET", so much full of life and filled with such electrifying energy "LIVE", in the theater on stage and in concert. Those were the days and some of the best and greatest stage shows coming from town to town, city to city, back in the 60"s. It's so nice to see good things and great things are starting to happen again for The Marvelettes finally, finallya and I do mean finally today for the Marvelous ones.

LC (larro)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 353
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 10:26 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CoCo,
You are doing such a superb job on this Marvelettes thread. It keeps getting, better and better.
I have something for you, I beleive you are really going to appreciate and enjoy. My e-mail address is cotlarro@comcast.net
Look forward to hearing from you soon. Many thanks for such wonderous pictures and good memories of The Marvelettes my favorite Motown recording group.
LC

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 765
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 11:55 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

' THEE GATHERING '

To look at each & everyones 'smiles' at the piano.
Heartwarming..Enchanting...
As the girls 'tap' the piano top, to the beat of the music.

To 'name drop' a few (as if we didnt know) ...
From left of photo...Mr. Berry Gordy on piano,
Dearest KAT is holding the cup & wearing a sweet 'n lovely smile.
GEORGEANNA, being precious, is left of KATHERINE.
Mary, Flo & Di.
Stevie & Bobby.

GLADYS HORTON wears the head band &
WANDA tappin' to the groove, in what appears to be an 'off the shoulder' beautiful ruffled sleeved dress.

Yes, an exquisite, rare peek into the Motorcity 'Magical Queendom' !!!!

(Message edited by chicklit on July 27, 2005)

Tony Russi (tony_russi)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 955
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 12:25 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CoCo, thats Mr. Gordy on the piano and Brenda Holloway to his left and Kim Weston to his right.That must have been a party to be at!!I think thats Iris Gordy with the big necklace on Gladys' right.

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 792
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 7:47 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RSVD
Miss 'Kat'

Tony Russi (tony_russi)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 960
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 8:39 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pix of the vivacious Katherine!She has that charisma for sure.

LC (larro)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 359
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 12:08 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Katherine really looks sexy on this picture. Everytime and everywhere I see Kat out in public representing The Marvelettes, she always look attentive.
I would sure love to see original Marvelettes re-unite and all perform again for just one night. There are still four original members living. If no other than "Please Mr. Postman" and "Don't Mess With Bill", since both original lead singers were very successful recording together and both received certified "GOLD" records.
Who knows? Recently, so many wonderful things are just starting to finally happen for original Marvelettes group members.
Although "Please Mr. Postman" and "Don't Mess With Bill" both went "GOLD", just to name a few, here are some of my favorites:
a-sides
"Locking Up My Heart"
"Beechwood 45789"
"Danger Heartbreak Dead Ahead"
"Your My Remedy"
"The Hunter"
b-sides
"Forever"
"Someday Someway"
"Godess Of Love"
"Tie A String Around Your Finger"
"Too Strong To Be Strung Along"

Does anyone else has any favorites by them to add to this thread?

CatMarvelettes (kat)
2-Debutant

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 1:28 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My, my, my this thread still going, I'm thrilled that it is still going. I could never THANK YOU,to all for all the nice things that you've said. I'm humbled and feel loved by so many. May GOD continue to bless each of you.

Tony Russi (tony_russi)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 993
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 3:36 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We love you too, Kat!I feel like I've known you since '62 when me & Randy briefly met the whole "Revue" at Sir Johns Knightbeat in Miami on that first Motortown Revue.Ya'll were all just teenagers & were so cool..we were skinny little kids.

4-Laureate

Post Number: 158
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 9:56 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Kat I agree, we all love you too. Thank you for all that you have done and for all that you continue to do. I continue to stand in awe of your accomplishments!

laceysox (laceysox)
1-Arriviste
Username: laceysox

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 1:30 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kat,

I am new to the boards - I have been a Marvelettes fan forever. The book that was written recently with all of your information was great. There are lots of us out here who will never forget what you and the girls did for the music.

One question, can you clarify, when you say that the Andantes sang the backgrounds - but did you guys also sing and was their voices just brought up louder? Did it bother you that they were on the records and their voices were louder?

All of us Marvelettes fans want to know anything that you can tell us from those days.

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 855
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 7:10 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Katherine.

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 859
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 8:14 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phillip S. Howell (philco53nyc)
3-Pundit
Username: philco53nyc

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 12:32 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

COCO THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE MARVELETTES PHOTOS. YOU REALLY TOOK ME DOWN MEMORY LANE. KATHERINE WILL BE VERY PROUD!. THANK GOD, FOR THE 1966 VIDEO CLIP OF: DMWB ON THE HULLABALOO DVD. I HOPE HIP-OSELECT WILL RELEASED THE COMPLETE MARVELETTES COLLECTON 1961-65 CDs SOON?!. THANKS COCO FOR SHARING YOUR DYNAMITE COLLECTION. WITH ALL WE MARVELETTES FANS.

RICHARD M. BOWYER (jakaa)
2-Debutant
Username: jakaa

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 5:47 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WHAT A WONDERFUL TRIBUTE!!! GOD BLESS YOU COCO AND YOU KAT AND THE REST OF THE MAVELETTES TO INCLUDE MS. DOBBINS. IS THERE ANY CHANCE THAT THE PLAY WILL BE TOURING ANY OTHER CITIES? BEING A NATIVE DETROITER NOW LIVING IN DC, I KNOW IT WOULD BE A HIT ALL OVER THE COUNTRY!!!

LC (larro)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 373
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 8:00 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope the play go on tour. It would be magnanimous for Marvelettes fans around the globe to get a chance to see this marvelous play. Such a uplifting, heart touching and super play to see.

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 926
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 9:36 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Phillip, Kat, Lois, Richard & LC.
Bless you all too.
Your kind words sure are motivating.

LC (larro)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 374
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 10:43 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't wait for the next Marvelettes cd released in early 2006. I hope there will be some unrealesed material included.
Phil have you heard anything in the line of never before been released material titles being released?
Anyone?

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 941
Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 10:44 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do hope the play goes Mainstream.
The play is fabulous !
The fans should see this play world wide.
Well written, well directed and welllll acted !

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 959
Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 10:42 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 965
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 12:14 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LC (larro)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 379
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 4:52 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice pictures Co,Co, I see you keep them coming. I wonder if any s/d memebers attend Vocal Group Hall Of Fame, Induction Ceromony Event held in Wild Wood, New Jersey in July took pictures? Both Gladys and Katherine appeared to receive their induction award.
I remained seated at front table with Sammy, Gladys Horton son, while the ladies were called up on stage to be presented and receive their award. I did not go backstage to take pictures along with other media/press people due to so.
Those would really be nice pictures to see and exspose.
Hopefully, some different and unseen before pictures of The Marvelettes will appear on inside cd jackets of reissue album cd's being released later this year and never released lp's on cd.
I still can't wait for next years "Lost And Found" new release. That should really be very interesting to hear. Especially for die-hard Marvelettes music fans.
It was post somewhere names of some of the tracks being listed on "Lost And Found" up and coming cd being released next year. I'd sure like to see that list of titles again. None of the song listings rang a bell. They sure wasn't cuts from any of the albums or cds ever released.

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 967
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 8:30 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 1828
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 2:44 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news that the play, NOW THAT I CAN DANCE, will be back in Detroit !!
As we know, it's about the Marvelettes experiences on the road and when they first went to Motown.
The Mosaic group had such a great public & critical response, when they did it in May, so they're bringing back all the Marvelette glory, at their facility, in November and December.

The dates :
Nov 11, 12, 13th at the facility, the show times are 7 p.m. and 3 p.m on Sunday.

The December gig is a fundraiser for the Inkster High School, for their scholarship.
The date, Dec. 10th, at Insker High School Auditorium..6 p.m.

If you havent seen it the first time, I have a strong hunch,
if you attend this play, you will 'get the spirit' upside the head.
Yes, check it out, its WORTH the effort !

P.S. Please stay tuned to this 'Platinum' thread for any updates.

Tony Russi (tony_russi)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 3:59 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow CoCo, those posters thats the tour I saw them on.Did you live in Knoxville?Here it was at Orlando Municipal Auditorium. Our tickets were 2.50 advance $3.00 at the door, we got them in advance at Southern Music record shop. Seems like yesterday.

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 2212
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 7:42 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Katherine looks ever so lovely, better than ever !...here with another lovely, Louvain D. (Adante)
November, 2005, during the second run of the fabulous play, 'Now That I Can Dance.'
Please respect Copyright ownership.

Lovain cuddles up with talented cast members of 'Now That I Can Dance'

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 2224
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 10:11 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Job well done 'this morning', in reference to the televised segment on N.B.C. THE TODAY SHOW.

Televised from New York, with taped segments incorporated from Studio A, Hitsville U.S.A, West Grand Blvd, Detroit.... in attendance with Bobby Rogers, Katherine Anderson, Rosalind Ashford, Annette Beard,.. was organizers & enthusiastic cast members of the 'Now That I Can Dance' play, which originated at the Mosaic Theater.

To see the support of The Mosaic Youth Theater of Detroit, on nationwide television..was wonderful !

...and yall look great !

Wonder B (wonder_b)
6-Zenith
Username: wonder_b

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 1:17 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey I gotta bring a little from my own collection although very little compared to what has already been posted...
Sorry for the poor and small scans...my scanner is out of order at the moment and these were done when I was trying to archive all the stuff I got...

M1
M2
M3

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 2356
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 9:42 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WonderB, it is not nessasary to post photos.
You may observe, that the photos you have just posted, have already been posted, as shown above on this thread. WonderB, in terms of photos, It has been taken care of, covered, on this here specific, strategically organized platinum thread.
Yet, Thank you so very much for your very good intentions.
I would be sure to visit, should you decide to start a new thread, for your Marvelettes photos.

Marvelettes rule !

Just a reminder, NOW THAT I CAN DANCE.

There will be a presentation 'charity' performance, of this fantastic play, to benefit The Inkster High School Scholarship Fund at....
Inkster High School.
3250 Middlebelt.
Day: Decmeber 10, 2005.
Time: 6: 00 PM.
Tickets: 20.00
An extra special honor it must be for Miss Katherine to go back to Inkster High and watch it all unfold, on the actual stage, whereas the dream, had originated.

Happy Holiday Katherine !

Natural High (naturalhigh)
1-Arriviste
Username: naturalhigh

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 9:36 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey everyone. I am so proud to post in this thread. My name is Glenda Washington. I played Gladys Horton in Mosaic youth Theatre's production of Now That I Can Dance. I have been honored to meet Kat on many occasion and I have grown to love her. I totally appreciate all of the contribution you all made so that aspiring artists like myself are able to do things we couldn't before.

Flo(Supremes) has a few words with Gladys before going into the studio to record "Please Mr. Postman" The other Marvelettes are in the background. Gladys and Florence

Natural High (naturalhigh)
1-Arriviste
Username: naturalhigh

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 9:40 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a publicity photo from the play...

Marvelettes actors

CoCo (chicklit)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 2793
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 2:19 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Dearest Natural High.
Thank you for your performance in the play.
All of you involved were fantastic and quite inspiring.
I so enjoyed it so very much.
Your obvious enthusiasim on stage was very worthy, just wonderful.
I hope you continued success in your future personal & professional endevours.

This week also marks a special acknowledgment :
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Katherine Anderson Shaffner !!
You are loved, admired & respected for what you have accomplished in the entertainment
industry and for WHO YOU ARE !

CoCo.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: