Soulful DetroitArchives - July 2010 � The Famous Flames Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

kamasu (kamasu)
6-Zenith
Username: kamasu

Post Number: 8152
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 8:28 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Flames were an integral part of James Brown's career since its beginning. They appeared on some of his earliest recordings, toured with him and were featured in two legendary films with JB, Ski Party & The TAMI show.

In a lot of people's minds James Brown & the Famous Flames were one.

My question is when did James Brown make a conscious effort to remove The Flames from his billing. By Nineteen Sixty seven, the Flames were no longer part of JB's act?

Did he ever discuss his reason for changing the Flames' illing in his biography?

I know one Flame, Bobby Byrd continued his association with JB for years.

Who were the other Flames?

(Message edited by Kamasu on June 11, 2010)

splanky (splanky)
6-Zenith
Username: splanky

Post Number: 3322
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 8:50 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kam, what a lot of people have never known or like to omit is that it was JB who joined Bobby Byrd's group and not the other way around. What became the Famous Flames was put together by Bobby with Bobby Bennett and Lloyd Stalworth both of whom eventually dropped out. When James's name and vocals began bringing in the bucks and filling the stadiums and concert halls and as he rapidly took over the direction of the
act he dropped And The Famous Flames though his friend Byrd who discovered him while he was still locked down in the joint and gave him a shot, he kept and quite understandably so...

loveblind (loveblind)
6-Zenith
Username: loveblind

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 8:52 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Flames actually stuck around until early 1968.
James let them go probably for the same reason Diana let the Supremes go or Gladys leaving the Pips, he wanted to be a true solo act.

Unlike Ross, Knight, Martha ect, he said negative things about his group. Saying they were bad singers and could only dance.

The flames were actually started by Bobby Byrd, he stayed on with Brown when the Flames were dismissed.

Original Famous Flames Bobby Bennett is still around, most of the others have passed on.

kamasu (kamasu)
6-Zenith
Username: kamasu

Post Number: 8156
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 8:58 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. I was watching he TAMI show the other night and the Flames were there, killing it alongside JB.

I've seen early JB records where the Famous Flames were billed underneath James.
Many people considered James & the Flames to be a group.
But by the late sixties, it was all about james Brown, and perhaps rightly so.

loveblind (loveblind)
6-Zenith
Username: loveblind

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 9:21 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kam,
I am still the worlds biggest JB fan, but I am not in denial. James was a male PriMa donna. He was a sensation on stage, but offstage he wasn't always nice or even fair. He would have musicians meet him in a city and not pay them. He became notorious with the JB's.

The Flames were basically left behind, they were sort of "Un-important" in James eyes.

Randy Russi (randy_russi)
6-Zenith
Username: randy_russi

Post Number: 2571
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 9:24 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw James Brown in the 60s--August '67 in Orlando--billed as James Brown & His Famous
Flames Band, but the band wasn't actually
called the Flames, it was two, Bobby
Byrd and maybe James Crawford.
Again, February '68, this time only billed
as James Brown, but again, Bobby Byrd and
perhaps James Crawford appeared on stage
with him.
I'd say in '68 is when the change came,
but Bobby Byrd remained a male vocalist
with the revue, as he had solo spots
on both dates given above.
He came again in the summer of '68 and
thereafter almost every six months for
about another five years James Brown
& show played Orlando.

Tony Russi (tony_russi)
6-Zenith
Username: tony_russi

Post Number: 4062
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 12:22 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Randy if u recall Baby Lloyd came back & was workin for JB in different capacities when we firt saw & met Lyn Collins in Daytona .Yes, before he started calling the band the JBs they were actually referred to as the Famous Flames, this was after the vocalists Flames were done. The first time JB played a large venue here in Central Fla. "Cold Sweat" was the new thang & the Famous Flames on stage were Bobby Byrd & Bobby Bennett. Byrd told me that not long after "Please Please Please"it was apparent to all that JB was the star of the group & some of the other fellas did get peeved about it.In the Tami Show the Flames are Byrd, Bobby Bennett & Baby lloyd Stallworth. James Crawford was also one of the Flames at some point.

stephanie (stephanie)
6-Zenith
Username: stephanie

Post Number: 2851
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 3:20 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother played on stage with James Brown once and he said that all present had to call him Mr Brown! If you didnt there was hell to pay..LOL

I didnt believe my brother when he told me this but throughout the years I have heard similar stories.
Great talent, but he demanded respect.

ladyvanaye (ladyvanaye)
6-Zenith
Username: ladyvanaye

Post Number: 7481
Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 9:46 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Much like Smokey and the Miracles, The Famous Flames were not inducted into the RRHOF with James. Seems unfair after 10-11 years worth of work during the pinnacle of his career. They made him look good and back then you could not say James Brown, without saying 'and The Famous Flames'.

Add Your Message Here
1-Add your message in the Post Box. 2-Enter a name in the username box. 3-LEAVE PASSWORD BLANK. 4-Email address is OPTIONAL. 5-Click Preview/Post Message button.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: