Soulful Detroit SoulfulDetroit Music Forum WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO... Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

Lady Mystique (Maverick) (ladymystique)
6-Zenith
Username: ladymystique

Post Number: 6433
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 10:21 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimmy Briscoe...and the rest of the Beavers
Spoonbread (I think...70s kid group)
The Choice Four
Another child group...something like the kids of Harlem? Can't think of the name right now
PJ (sang TLC)
The Fantastic Four
The Continental Four
The Joneses
Odds and Ends
Chocolate Syrup
First Class

Think that's it. :-)

JSmith (jsmith)
6-Zenith
Username: jsmith

Post Number: 5947
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 2:19 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

4th one down .... do you mean the Voices of East Harlem ??

daddyacey (daddyacey)
6-Zenith
Username: daddyacey

Post Number: 2840
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 3:26 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"the Voices of East Harlem ??"
They were on that "Sunshine" label ,produced by Al Hudson. Had this little ugly girl with a slammin voice on lead ,I got both of their albums ,and I think they were reissued at one time. Check Dusty Groove. Both albums are nice.
Chocolate Syrup , was on AVCO , "Stop Your Crying" and "You've Got a Lot To Give" ,were the big singles of theirs in the tri-state area, the same with Briscoe and The Beavers on Pi Kappa Records and Odd's and Ends on the Today label.
You going wayyy back Lady ,to the Afro Sheen stains on the walls and red lights in the basement :-). I sent you some info on those groups a while back. Search for Sequels "Battle Of The Bands" CD's for Odds And Ends ,(Round One) and Briscoe and Chocolate Syrup ,(Round Four).
Let's not forget Leroy:-). "One".

(Message edited by daddyacey on August 01, 2010)

ColtonThomas (soullegends)
6-Zenith
Username: soullegends

Post Number: 1313
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 3:51 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not sure what happened to The Odd & Ends but here's a photo of them.

6-Zenith

Post Number: 6436
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 3:59 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JSmith and daddyacey Yes that's the group!

daddyacey...that CD with the both albums I saw that at Bleecker St the last time I was in the Village. And yes you did...I have all four of the Battle of the Bands and just rediscovered Jimmy and the Beaver's last single on Salsoul INTO THE MILKY WAY!

6-Zenith

Post Number: 6437
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 3:59 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Colton!

ColtonThomas (soullegends)
6-Zenith
Username: soullegends

Post Number: 1314
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 4:25 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

far as Chocolate Syrup goes you might try getting in touch with L.J via Facebook he might know or might even keep in touch with his former group mates.

TOPDIVA (york)
3-Pundit
Username: york

Post Number: 446
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 6:11 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Voices of East Harlem where a great group of child singers. I believe it was quite a large group. And they toured africa with Ike and Tina Turner, on the Soul to Soul Tour.

6-Zenith

Post Number: 6440
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 9:45 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok Colton cool!

Top Diva yes they could sing! I really have to head to Bleecker St to pick up that CD I saw of them. It had both albums on there.

Heikki (heikki)
6-Zenith
Username: heikki

Post Number: 944
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 9:48 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi!

I already answered on the Fantastic 4 on another thread a while ago.

Best regards
Heikki

6-Zenith

Post Number: 6441
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 10:10 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Heikki I'll go find it :-)

Everyone sorry if many have been answered...:-)

splanky (splanky)
6-Zenith
Username: splanky

Post Number: 3391
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 10:51 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have the Battle of the Bands CD that puts The Odds and Ends against Black Ivory. NO COMPETITION! Black Ivory SMOKES that group. LOL!!!
That aside, The Voices Of East Harlem were the sh*t back in the day. Their music reminds me of a lot of things that are gone, probably lost forever from American, and particularly African American life and culture. They actually had 2 female lead singers, Monica Burress and Gerri Griffin so I'm not sure which one was the "ugly
little girl" daddyacey referred to earlier. Doesn't matter, their melodies and harmonies were as beautiful as it ever got...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ltZ9EclkyM8

Kdubya (paladin)
6-Zenith
Username: paladin

Post Number: 6178
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 10:53 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mav, just scroll down a bit....its in the Whatever Happened to these "Vocal Groups" thread.....quite similar huh.......?????

Welcome Back Kotter !

Marv (marv2)
6-Zenith
Username: marv2

Post Number: 4340
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 11:44 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a group called "Sunday's Child" that was made up of two sisters and a cousin. They made a lot of TV guest appearances on popular variety programs back in the early 70's. I believe the lead singer's name was Ren Woods. What happened to them?

TOPDIVA (york)
3-Pundit
Username: york

Post Number: 461
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 12:28 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE TOYS???

6-Zenith

Post Number: 6443
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 12:49 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

splanky I agree...their harmonies were tight!

Thanks kdubya!

Kevin Goins - KevGo (kevgo)
6-Zenith
Username: kevgo

Post Number: 6277
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 1:09 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lady Mystique:
Definitely pick up the Voices of East Harlem CD. You will not be disappointed.

The group were signed to Elektra Records in the early 1970s around the time they appeared in the film "Soul To Soul". After two albums with Elektra, the Voices moved to the Just Sunshine label - which was (and still is) owned by Michael Mann (one of the main founders of the legendary Woodstock festival).

For the two albums released on Just Sunshine, the label recruited Curtis Mayfield & Leroy Huston to write as well as produce the Voices. Smart move - both discs resulted in great performances, especially the classic "Giving Love". In recent years, "Giving Love" was one of the most requested tunes on Felix Hernandez' Rhythm Revue radio program.

The CD you saw on Bleeker Street may have the Just Sunshine recordings on the disc. Do yourself a favor & hightail it to the village before someone else beats you to the punch.

Kevin Goins - KevGo

kamasu (kamasu)
6-Zenith
Username: kamasu

Post Number: 8472
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 1:09 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the Voices of East Harlem Gerri Griffith wore glasses and had an overbite, but she had an incredible voice. Guess Daddyacey thought she was the "ugly one." Monica Burress was in Barry Manilow's Lady Flash and she appeared on Broadway.

splanky (splanky)
6-Zenith
Username: splanky

Post Number: 3394
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 1:32 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sunday's Child folded and Ren went on to a solo career that for some reason never came close to the success she had in her acting career. She was in Car Wash and a number of other films. In fact she's still working. Personally I think the music biz really dropped the ball with both her group and solo career because baby had chops!...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =AWvkAOtwZxY

kamasu (kamasu)
6-Zenith
Username: kamasu

Post Number: 8473
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 1:45 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ren Woods (now known as Renn) was in Roots which was major. She is also in 9 to 5 with Dolly Parton, Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin and she sang Aquarius in Milos Forman's Hair.

Frankly I thought she had a strong voice that never transferred well to wax.
It was one of those voices best heard in live theater.

Her profile on IMDB says she left the business in 2001 for personal reasons, but is supposedly recording a new CD.

(Message edited by kamasu on August 01, 2010)

Marv (marv2)
6-Zenith
Username: marv2

Post Number: 4341
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 2:55 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for the update on Ren Woods and Sunday's Child. I thought they were great during the early 70's.

MoMotown (momotown)
4-Laureate
Username: momotown

Post Number: 188
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 5:15 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Ren Woods, I saw her in the lead role of the stage adaptation of The Wizard of Oz in Los Angeles. That was in the early '70s.
She was great in that production.

fayette (msshonuff4u)
6-Zenith
Username: msshonuff4u

Post Number: 766
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 5:52 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WHAT ABOUT Charles WRIGHT(EXPRESS YOURSELF)

Pshark (pshark)
6-Zenith
Username: pshark

Post Number: 2781
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 7:30 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charles Wright did play LONG BEACH FUNK FESTIVAL last year.
Mr Wright's radio spot from last yr fest>http://tinyurl.com/funkfest

And this coming Sat will be the 2nd annual fest:

Bringing funk to SoCal for 2010 once again,
"Sustaining Our Future Through Funk"
SATURDAY AUGUST 7, 2010 downtown Long Beach, CA
***FREE*** to the public
All ages
Green-driven sustainable festival
Solar powered stages

2010 lineup:
-Ladies of P Funk featuring Brides of Funkenstein and Parlet
-Jimmy Castor and the Bunch
-The Original Stone City Band
-The Big Ol' Nasty Getdown
-Bloco Nove featuring Delta Nove
-Yo Mama's Big Fat Booty Band
-Weapon of Choice
-Orgone
-plus special guests like Patryce 'Choc'let' Banks (Graham Central Station) Michael Ray (Sun Ra Arkestra, Kool and the Gang) Norwood Fisher (Fishbone), and lots more info coming!
-also the Kid's Zone of Funkativity, Lil Big Ups kid's group, dj's, live painting, vendors, funk art exhibit, and lots more!
-with Rickey Vincent as MC (author of "Funk: The Music, the People, and the Rhythm of the One")

http://www.lbfunkfest.com/
http://www.myspace.com/lbfunkf estival
http://twitter.com/lbfunkfest

(Message edited by PShark on August 01, 2010)

Kev-Lo (7273747576)
6-Zenith
Username: 7273747576

Post Number: 3728
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 9:26 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi this is Kev-Lo

fayette, Charles Wright is on Facebook

Juicefree20 (juicefree20)
6-Zenith
Username: juicefree20

Post Number: 14542
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2010 - 12:54 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Around 2 years ago, I ran into a young lady who said that she was a member of Voices Of East Harlem at a Melba Moore appearance in Brooklyn. I'll look for her number & check again. A few years ago, their classic 1973 ballad "Giving Love" was voted as being one of the top 100 ballads of all time by an internet radio show, I forget which. But, it was a great song, as was the flip "New Vibrations". "Giving Love" is so beautiful as to nearly bring tears to my eyes just thinking back to those days.

Aside from "Giving Love" (their only charter at an unbelievably low #57), "Cashing In", Can You Feel It" were also quite popular. Here's a link to a 1970 Time Magazine profile of them:

http://www.time.com/time/magaz ine/article/0,9171,943149,00.h tml

Barbara Harris of The toys is still out there doing gigs. June Montiero of The Toys lives in the N.Y./N.J. area & can be seen whenever ladies such as Martha & The Vandellas are performing.

Ren Woods' 1979 LP "Out Of The Woods" was produced by Al McKay of EWF & one would've expected it to have been successful. Unfortunately, it wasn't. I loved "Everybody Get Up". 3 years later, she released an LP, "Azz Izz", but there was more buzz about a controversy with Prince when he wanted one of his tracks pulled from the LP.

Original member Anthony Burke has reformed The Continental IV. Lead singer Freddie Kelly passed away some time ago. Bobby Martin did some of their productions. By the way, I have a Soulville CD comp, which has a few of their cuts, as well as some other interesting music from the Jay-Walking/Soulville label, which was compiled by Bobby Fulton.

One of the McGregor Brothers, Ronnie, as well as a sister have posted on Flea Market Funk. Here's the link to the site, where you may read their comments:

http://fleamarketfunk.com/2007 /04/25/the-continental-four-es cape-from-planet-earth/

Here's a link to the myspace page of the reformed Continental IV Fea. Anthony Burke:

http://www.myspace.com/thecont inentalfour

daddyacey (daddyacey)
6-Zenith
Username: daddyacey

Post Number: 2845
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2010 - 1:06 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being that I am no Billy Dee looker my self ,I should apologize for that statement ,and I do. Gerri Griffith did have an incredible voice.

6-Zenith

Post Number: 6445
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 9:29 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Y'all are awesome!

anm0552 (anm0552)
1-Arriviste
Username: anm0552

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 12:12 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed my name a while back in the "Whatever Happened To" pages. First of all, I'm honored and humbled that anyone actually remembered me. There was a fair amount of erroneous information in the various posts, so I'll provide the answers here.

What ever happened to Rockin' Robbie D? I'm alive and well, living in Charlotte, NC. And my real name is (It can finally be told) J. Paul Henderson. You can see me at jpaulhenderson.com. That should put all the "Dombrosky" stuff to rest.

I was actually at WCHB for two years, and while Telma and I had a tough time making a marriage, we've remained good friends. I last saw her back in November. She's a great lady and will always have special place in my heart.

"Precious Memories" Wasn't recorded at Golden World. It was recorded at United Sound and produced by the incredibly talented Don Davis. I was fortunate to have worked with him. I learned a lot from watching him mix. He was a perfectionist.

I also learned much from all the talented people I worked with at WCHB: Bill Williams, Jay Butler, Ray Henderson (No relation!), Martha Jean, Nat Keller, Jim Reese, Bill Curtis and others. Other than Motown, it was the greatest assemblage of talent I've ever seen in one place.

And yeah, the Magnificent Men were my homeboys.

My times at WCHB, the Twenty Grand, the Rooster Tail, the Webb Wood, the Fox Theater, the Pumpkin -- and the streets -- were the best days of my life. I'll never forget Detroit and all the wonderful people I had the honor of knowing and working with. Detroit's fallen on hard times, which saddens me greatly. But its people are resilient and the city will come back. Bigger and badder than ever.