Soulful Detroit SoulfulDetroit Music Forum Detroit Breakdown Soul Revue at New York's Lincoln Center Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

sideburnslim (sideburnslim)
5-Doyen
Username: sideburnslim

Post Number: 239
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 9:04 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just want to make sure that everybody knows about this event. This coming Saturday, July 31st, the Ponderosa Stomp is hosting a Detroit Soul Revue at New York's Lincoln Center. The show starts at 2 pm at the Barclay Grove stage in the Lincoln Center complex. Featured performers are Eddie Kirkland, Spyder Turner, Melvin Davis, Dennis Coffee, and Motown's The Velvelettes. It's going to be a great show. Detroit's The Party Stompers who have recently backed up Gino Washington, Melvin Davis, Nathaniel Mayer and Andre Williams will compose the core of the band. They will also feature the great trombonist/arranger Mckinley Jackson and saxophonist Kinney Brinkley.
More Details in the New York Times:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07 /25/arts/25weekaheadweb.html?s cp=1&sq=ponderosa%20stomp&st=c se

JTF1972 (jtf1972)
6-Zenith
Username: jtf1972

Post Number: 516
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 10:55 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! I have to be at work at 4, but may go at 2 for a while. :-)

DLM (dlm)
2-Debutant
Username: dlm

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 10:39 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Sideburnslim: That's what I call a show!!

5-Doyen

Post Number: 240
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 11:49 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello, DLM. Here's another link with all the info:

http://www.ponderosastomp.com/ lincoln-center_detroit-breakdo wn_2010.php

Spyder Turner (spyder_turner)
6-Zenith
Username: spyder_turner

Post Number: 1379
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 5:20 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those of you coming, you hear songs I recorded before "STAND BY ME"
I PLAN ON HAVING A GREAT TIME. We've been rehearsing and THE PARTY STOMPERS sound great

Marv (marv2)
6-Zenith
Username: marv2

Post Number: 4289
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 6:22 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spyder this is Marv. You GOTS to sing "Stand by Me"too, ok? I will hope to get to say hello to you all and do some nice pictures.

ladyvanaye (ladyvanaye)
6-Zenith
Username: ladyvanaye

Post Number: 7585
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 9:49 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marv - are you on Facebook? We need to finally meet! I am dragging my best friend out for this event too. :-)

Yes Spyder, us SDF folk need to meet you for a change!

Marv (marv2)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 4299
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 10:00 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lady, I'm not but you can email me at mdavis9579@aol.com It would great and a lot of fun!

ladyvanaye (ladyvanaye)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 7586
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 10:36 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok! Lets see if us SDF folk can find each other. Who else is coming? :-)

ladyvanaye (ladyvanaye)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 7587
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 10:55 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marv - check your e-mail! :-)

John Lester (theboyfromxtown)
6-Zenith
Username: theboyfromxtown

Post Number: 4500
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 5:26 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lady...can you and your friend give a real loud New York welcome to the acts please. Make it a night for everyone to remember.

The Velvelettes are real excited about being there...but I can't get to see them. I so wish I could. Please give them a big SDF hello.

There should be quite a few SDF folk there and I think we need to ask Ralph to organise the merchandising of T-shirts!! He can fit that in with writing books, making music and keeping us lot under control.

HAHA

ladyvanaye (ladyvanaye)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 7599
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 10:03 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dont laugh! I suggested that to him 4 years ago! :-) I will make a small sing with the letters SDF on it, hold it up and see who came out.

Zaktrane (zaktrane)
2-Debutant
Username: zaktrane

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 11:30 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be there, and looking for SDF signs :-) Spyder, PLEASE do some stuff off of Music Web! Definitely the show of the year, wouldn't miss it for anything.

Juicefree20 (juicefree20)
6-Zenith
Username: juicefree20

Post Number: 14535
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2010 - 12:32 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spyder is probably sleep, as he'll be flying in to N.Y. tomorrow.

I have a feeling that given the musical demographics of the show that you won't be hearing anything from "Music Web".

The Detroit segment of the show is based on 1960's Detroit Soul, so, I think that it's highly unlikely that you'll be hearing any of his Whitfield music.

Marv (marv2)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 4305
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2010 - 12:43 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lady, I will check it and respond. Thanks!

S.R. (fury13)
5-Doyen
Username: fury13

Post Number: 230
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2010 - 9:41 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that Spyder will be doing more of his earlier stuff, including "Ride In My 225."

JTF1972 (jtf1972)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 518
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2010 - 9:52 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who wants to hear the 60's stuff? (I do!)

This should be a fine afternoon. :-)

Ms. M (ms_m)
6-Zenith
Username: ms_m

Post Number: 10662
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2010 - 10:51 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spykie will rock the house with whatever he sings!

Do your thing bro and don't hurt "nobody"... BTW I think I have a lead on that bear....LOL

Marv (marv2)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 4312
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2010 - 8:18 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dyva, check your email!

Marv

ladyvanaye (ladyvanaye)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 7608
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2010 - 8:27 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marv - And I have replied! :-)

Marv (marv2)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 4313
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2010 - 8:30 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got it! Thanks

JTF1972 (jtf1972)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 519
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 4:50 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fun show!

Unfortunately I had to split just as Dennis was beginning Scorpio.

Can't wait to hear how the rest of the show went...

John Lester (theboyfromxtown)
6-Zenith
Username: theboyfromxtown

Post Number: 4511
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 5:38 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you see the Velvelettes?

JTF1972 (jtf1972)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 520
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 6:42 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope. They were up after Dennis.

I did find pics here:

http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/ shows/36756

Looks like there will be a podcast too!

ladyvanaye (ladyvanaye)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 7611
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 6:45 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jtf - IF YOU ARE READING THIS - I was the woman in the front,white and black dress, red locks standing to the stage right taking pics and a little video. I held up the SDF sign. :-)

The Velvelettes were GREAT. Pink dresses steps and a whole lot of singing. :-) They were so excited and humble, I saw tears in Cal's eyes! They were the featured act and Dennis Coffey and the Stompers played behind them. Dennis ROCKS!!!! He can still pull a lick!!! It was Fun and a good show. SPYDER TURNER IS A HOT MESS!!!!! But he is a great singer and performer. He is 63? I tell you Black don't crack!!!!! Juice was there talking pics, Im sure he will post them later. :-) I GOT A FEW TOO AND CAMERA PHONE VIDEO. :-)

JTF1972 (jtf1972)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 521
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 7:07 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was you? I was wondering what the sign said... I was about 10 ft to your left wearing this:
http://img831.imageshack.us/im g831/2926/picture004s.jpg

As for Spyder... "Wh... wh.. why'd ya step in it then?" LOL!

ladyvanaye (ladyvanaye)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 7613
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 7:23 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The stutter joke was cute. LOL! I saw you actually for a breif second! The tall British guy with the beer breath that was blocking my view because he was 7 feet tall...I went around him and went backstage. The guy with the baseball cap and white shirt and jeans taking pics was Juice, and Marc Taylor was in the blue shirt standing next to me...Also 'Marv' was there. :-) SDF in the house! :-)

Question Mark with out the Mysterians was definitely a '?'. LOL. I took a pic with this dude and...well...phew! ...strange...:/

JTF1972 (jtf1972)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 522
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 7:41 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After you held up the sign that I only saw from the back, I almost went over to you to see if the sign said what I thought it might have. :-)

It was a jammin' show! Too bad I had to head in to work... I sat next to Bertha on a flight to Detroit (neither one of us shut up since neither of us really like flying) but I've never seen them perform!

ladyvanaye (ladyvanaye)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 7614
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 8:16 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never saw the 'V's' perform either...it was a treat. At the end they did Dancing In the Streets' and Spyder cut up dancing with Cal. LOL. He is funny. I tape bits and pieces in video Ill see if it will upload here if not it will be on my face Book. Do you have a FB page?

Bobby Eli and his wife were there too.

Kdubya (paladin)
6-Zenith
Username: paladin

Post Number: 6173
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 8:24 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so jealous I could......

ladyvanaye (ladyvanaye)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 7615
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 8:33 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<<<<hugs>>>> to KDub :-)

Marv (marv2)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 4321
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 9:18 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lady! I just got in. It was a lot of fun! I got homesick for a moment. I was happy to see you and everyone! I was just going to my car as ? & The Mysterians were closing out "96 Tears". He's from Flint! LOL! Anyhow, I'll get my pics loaded and upload here as soon as I can.

ladyvanaye (ladyvanaye)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 7616
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 10:20 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok! Nice to meet you Marv. Sorry about the car thing...:-( That is NYC for you! I look forward to your pics. :-)

Lady Mystique (Maverick) (ladymystique)
6-Zenith
Username: ladymystique

Post Number: 6434
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 10:26 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw some photos on FACEBOOK...hmmmm.. LOL :-)

Sorry I missed it...wish I would've known before...me and Maya would have been there

ladyvanaye (ladyvanaye)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 7617
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 10:31 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Girl, you missed the SHIRT. ...LOL...

Lady Mystique (Maverick) (ladymystique)
6-Zenith
Username: ladymystique

Post Number: 6435
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 10:37 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL @naye I think I can "picture" it :-)

6-Zenith

Post Number: 1380
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2010 - 9:05 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey ya'll I had a ball. It was good to see so many friends I hadn't seen in a while, Hey Juice, you dissapeared and missed the after party. I meant to have all the folks from sdf stand so that I could see you but trying to remember lyrics from songs I haven't sung since I was 17 kinda made me forget, sorry bout that. But for those of you that were there, I hope you enjoyed the show

stephanie (stephanie)
6-Zenith
Username: stephanie

Post Number: 3155
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2010 - 9:09 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Marv,
Did Question Mark ever find a place to live? I remember a few years ago his house burned down or something like that and he lost everything. There were benefits held for him in different venues. Spyder the legend I am glad you had a good time I wish I had been there.

6-Zenith

Post Number: 1381
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2010 - 10:47 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Juice, there are pics of you taking pics on and many more on my Facebook page that my cousin took. it was great to see Harry, Marv, Ladyvanaye and all the rest of the sdf family that were in attendance

JSmith (jsmith)
6-Zenith
Username: jsmith

Post Number: 5949
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2010 - 2:29 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melvin should learn to look up more .....

Marv (marv2)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 4363
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2010 - 6:43 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are a few of my pics from Saturdays "Detroit Stomp" in Manhattan and boy did we STOMP!LOL!

Cal and Spyder
Cal and Spyder

Marv and Spyder
Marv and Spyder

Spyder Turner and a fan
Spyder Turner and a fan

Dennis Coffey
Dennis Coffey

Dennis on stage
Dennis whipping the crowd into a frenzy!

Baby Gretchen
Baby Gretchen, she turns up at all the shows!

Rudy Martinez and Marv
Rudy Martinez(Question Mark of the Mysterians) and Marv

Spyder, Rudy Martinez and Marv
Spyder, Rudy Martinez and Marv

Melvin Davis, Velvelettes, Spyder, Dennis
Melvin Davis, Velvelettes, Spyder, Dennis and the BIG Finale!

(Message edited by Marv2 on August 02, 2010)

Marv (marv2)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 4365
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2010 - 7:35 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Spyder you all were spectacular.....wooo PARTY TIME! Detroit was in the house! I hope we can do it again in Detroit! All the people loved you guys and I was as proud as ever about Detroit!

Marv

Marv (marv2)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 4366
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2010 - 7:39 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stephanie, Rudy (Question Mark)was in real good spirits. We talked a little about Flint (my cousins still live there too), but not about his home burning down or anything. Ronnie Spector showed up and even joined them onstage later.

Kdubya (paladin)
6-Zenith
Username: paladin

Post Number: 6189
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2010 - 9:47 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Spyder can we talk about the shoes ? Ok, ok, I'll hit you up on facebook....lol...

6-Zenith

Post Number: 1382
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 9:34 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Kdub, dem shoes were'nt made for walking, Damn did my feet hurt at the end of the night. Like some women, pretty but will hurt your ass

Noah (noah)
4-Laureate
Username: noah

Post Number: 153
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 10:07 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A great day of music. Besides Ronnie Spector ? and the Mysterians were also joined by Louise Murray of the Jaynettes for "Sally Go Round the Roses" which both groups recorded.

Ms. M (ms_m)
6-Zenith
Username: ms_m

Post Number: 10671
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 11:38 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SDF has a boatload of talent. Let's not forget to give a shout out to our very own Four Tops drummer extraordinaire, Drew Schultz, sitting in on ....drums (duh) LOL

6-Zenith

Post Number: 1386
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 2:32 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My name is Spyder Turner and I'll get down on my knees and say, DARLIN, DON'T GO, YOU KNOW THAT I NEED YOUR LOVE SO DOG GONE BAD

DrewSchultz88 (drewschultz88)
4-Laureate
Username: drewschultz88

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 6:21 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the shout Ms. M!
Spyder, it was a BLAST playing with all of you guys (and girls!). I'd love to catch up when I'm back in Detroit.

5-Doyen

Post Number: 243
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 8:23 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drew sat in and did an amazing job on percussion. Mike Audia played drums on the gig.

6-Zenith

Post Number: 14547
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 8:38 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aww Ms. M:

You ruined my surprise :-)

It was really nice seeing Drew. He's a very unaffected young man. And I'm glad to know that he's taken the drum seat for The Tops.

Drew's a great musician & even greater as a person.

Milli Vanilli (millie)
6-Zenith
Username: millie

Post Number: 448
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 9:29 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Juice!
It was great finally meeting you...I'm glad you introduced yourself to me!! We all got extremely lucky with the gorgeous weather on Saturday which made the Stomp that much more exciting! I've contacted Kim Weston about the possibility of her performing at next year's Stomp. I'm thinking it'll be back in New Orleans then. The Velvelettes were incredible, weren't they? I'm working on getting them on the Concert of Colors here in Detroit for next year.

Marv (marv2)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 4381
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 9:43 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I asked and looked for you Milli! I did get Dennis to sign my book, thanks.

6-Zenith

Post Number: 14548
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 10:05 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milli:

it was nice meeting you after so many years here on SDF. You are exactly as advertized & a fun person to be around.

It was truly nice to have met you!

ladyvanaye (ladyvanaye)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 7629
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 11:19 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milli - I did not get a chance to meet you - but bring it back here next year! :-) With Kim Weston, no less? Oh please!!!!! :-):-):-)