Soulful Detroit SoulfulDetroit Music Forum ::: Motown Topics ::: All That Glitters: Ola's review. Archive through July 12, 2010 Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

Ola Mae (olamaebarto)
4-Laureate
Username: olamaebarto

Post Number: 164
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 9:41 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I finished reading Tony Turner's book about the Supremes about a week ago and I found it very enjoyable. I was going to write something last week, but my son and his boyfriend Zack (who bought me the book) visited and Zack and I had our own little "Book Club" about it.

First off. I HOWLED when I read the story about Florence Ballard taking the wheel of the Supremes limo when they were on their way to JFK! I laughed so loud on the deck, my husband came out to the deck and thought that coyotes were running around outside.

Second. Why does Mr. Turner in the opening of the book keep referring to "The Ed Sullivan Theater" over and over in 1964. The theater was NOT named after Ed until around 1967.

Third. If Mr. Turner was so close to Florence Ballard, why are there NO pictures of he and Miss Ballard? I found that very strange.

Overall the book was very fun to read, if you have a shovel to get through the manure.

When my son and Zack arrived, Zack was so excited to talk about the book. His mother was a very big fan of The Supremes and he grew up listening to their records. Even though he was born 12 years after Diana Ross left the group, he just loves them. He told me about Mary Wilson's book, which I will read at some point. Zack pointed out that Turner's book was full of odd things that contrast to that of Mary Wilson's book.

In Turner's book, he keeps "quoting" Florence as refering to Ross as "Diana". While it seems very well known that her old friends that knew her in the day, called her "Diane". I found that strange when Zack pointed that out.

Turner spoke of a lavish pent-house (as he says Florence called it) apartment in NYC that Florence rented. Mary Wilson does not mention that. Considering Ballard's financial situation after she was fired from The Supremes, I found that hard to swallow.

I found the story of Florence's down fall so very, very sad. I can't say that I can point a finger at the villian in this case. But I do think that "Miss Ross" was too self centered aka clawying her way to stardom to care and Mary Wilson was too scared to cause trouble.

One thing that I just screamed at was how Turner again "quoted" Florence and she always refered to herself in the third person: "Flo is not putting up with this" "Flo is going to do some cooking" "Flo needs her medicine"

Flo sounds like she was a lovely person. I wish things had turned out better for her.

Well, Ola needs to go. Because Ola has Maggie Griffin's new book to read next. Ola is out of here! Bring Ola her cocktail!

I'll stand back and watch the cat fights from my deck.

(Message edited by olamaebarto on July 10, 2010)

TOPDIVA (york)
3-Pundit
Username: york

Post Number: 251
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 10:31 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ola - very interesting review - let me answer some of the questions you had on Mr. Turner's ALL THAT GLITTERED MY LIFE WITH THE SUPREMES.

Although the Ed Sullivan Theater was not named for Mr. Ed Sullivan until the late 60's - most native New Yorkers always called it that for years prior to the name being changed.

I heard Mr. Turner state on a talk show - that the publisher could not use his old prints of photos of himself and Flo, taken by his brownie camera - because they where in too bad condition and did not print well. Of this fact he then stated - I believe on the Joan Rivers show - that he was pissed.

Turner's writing is not only in contrast to Mary Wilson's book, but at times in direct conflict. It appears Mary Wilson wrote her story as a "BLAP", meaning a Black American Princess, as she often refers to herself and The Supremes - where as the Tony Turner bio on The Supremes is much more - unvarnished and streetwise.

If you reread the parts about Florence Ballard's New York City Penthouse - Turner states that it was rented soon after she was evicted from The Supremes. Remember, Ola - according to all sources she received a great amount of money from Motown, and had signed a new recording contract that paid her even more money with ABC records - So at that time she would have been able to continue to live as a Supreme.

Ola, I hope this has answered some of your questions. I have loved this book for years, and standing on the sidelines have always defended it. However - when you look at the Wilson book, the Ross book - plus - the Turner book - they all really tell the same stories just slanted to the writers personal point of view.

Miss Ross is a Diva - with millions of followers and has always been careful of the calculated public image she serves us.

Miss Wilson - has always placed herself in her writings as the eternal victim and ingenue of The Supremes.

Finally, Mr. Turner, with no image to protect - but still in his mind an ingenue, apparently just did'nt give a damn and wrote what he felt from his perspective.

Gossip like diamonds are forever!!!!

Ola Mae (olamaebarto)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 165
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 11:07 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for clearing up my questions about your book.

Jimmy Mack (luke)
6-Zenith
Username: luke

Post Number: 4560
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 11:22 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always wondered how Tony Turner had such a god memory to remember so many direct quotes and conversations from 30 some years before. But the book is a hoot. If anyone reads Dreamgirls and the reviews and Marys own comments she presents herself as a strong survivor, not afraid now to stand up and tell the truth and yet in my opinion goes overboard almost to praise Diana to this day. At BB Kings in 2000 when the crowd was cheering her and some yelling "Diana who" she stopped it and praised Diana and Flo-and this at the height of RTL.

TOPDIVA (york)
3-Pundit

Post Number: 252
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 11:24 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your welcome Ola Mae - but ALL THAT GLITTERED IS certainly NOT MY BOOK!!! - really I wish it was my book and my life - I am so bored with those of you on SDMF that say I am Tony Turner- like many I remain a devoted and informed fan of all things Motown.

I do know someone in NYC that used to post here a lot, that knows Mr. Turner well. I asked him to ask Tony Turner - if I could interview him for this forum.

If my request is granted - my intention was to post this on the forum, and ask all you fans interested to help me by submitting questions for Tony Turner.

TOPDIVA (york)
3-Pundit

Post Number: 253
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 11:33 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimmy Mack, in looking back - don't you remember your own early days well - if you had the supreme life that Tony had, in the throws of Motown's glory days - would you not have remembered every moment and detail as well.

Elegant Soul (elegant_soul)
6-Zenith
Username: elegant_soul

Post Number: 2290
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 12:24 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep whipping their asses into shape, TopDiva!!
The whiners DO get tiresome, don't they?

John Lester (theboyfromxtown)
6-Zenith
Username: theboyfromxtown

Post Number: 4442
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 10:17 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elegant

Put those leathers on again for me dear and you'll see some whipping...and I can assure you that being tiresome will not be an issue anymore!

*blows kiss"

6-Zenith

Post Number: 4443
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 10:28 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ola Mae

Excuse me for that slight digression...I sometimes get these urges which I have to deal with!

I personally saw Tony Turner with the Cindy Supremes in London in January 1969. So I know he's been around the ladies. I think your prespective is how most of us see it. It's a viewpoint. Mrs Edwards said exactly the same thing about Mary Wilson's book....although she did add...it was not always how others saw it. But that is why it's good that so many are telling their side of the story.

It's like when your kids play up and someone complains, you listen to the complainer first and then the kids. Some it is good stuff and some of it is not. The reader is the judge.

However, we all know that you really read that book cos Zack bought it...I find that much more exciting. I want you to tell Zack that us oldies would have been over the moon to be accepted like you have accepted him. He's blessed and you tell him I said so!! *smile*

xx

Paul Nixon (paul_nixon)
6-Zenith
Username: paul_nixon

Post Number: 503
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 10:48 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We all know about you and your urges John

TOPDIVA (york)
3-Pundit

Post Number: 257
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 3:25 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks again ELEGANT SOUL!!! While I agree, that the whiners do get tiresome - the whiners should be well aware of that saying of old - "THEY SHOOT HORSES, DON'T THEY?.

Ola Mae (olamaebarto)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 166
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 7:56 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Very classy.

TOPDIVA (york)
3-Pundit

Post Number: 261
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 8:14 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"THEY SHOOT HORSES, DON'T THEY" - WAS THE TITLE OF A MOVIE WITH JANE FONDA.

JUST A QUOTE - NOT A POLICY!!!

'

'

6-Zenith

Post Number: 2291
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 11:04 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say "shoot 'em"!
LOL!
And thanx once again to the legendary John Lester...aka "Boy From Crosstown"....aka "Xtown"....aka "Sex Pistol"...
who has acknowledged that Mr. Turner exists and has a right to be respected! Tony is SO MUCH MORE interesting than his forgetful detractors.

Now Tony, what were those famous drinks "reciped" from?! "Diana's Delight....Mary's Mystique....Cindy's Sin"
?????

6-Zenith

Post Number: 2292
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 11:06 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Heavens!!
Lest I forget "Jean's Jubilee" and "Berry's Beer"!

6-Zenith

Post Number: 4455
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 12:37 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or Elegant's Euphoria! Now I can recommend that one!

Elegant...when I saw Tony, he was wearing these classy shades but what struck me was that he was really thin, like a beanpole. When I was sent some US TV show that he appeared in, he was...well, let's say...he was a great deal bigger.

You must know Jim Saphin. He was there so he can confirm all this. This is him a few years later..still looking lovely..pity about the singing voice! (Sorry Jim xxxx)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =zz7E41ZO48E

Randy Russi (randy_russi)
6-Zenith
Username: randy_russi

Post Number: 2591
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 12:50 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony Turner definitely spent time with the Supremes and does have the photos to
prove it. Still, I believe, he took a
lot of liberty for granted to write his
book. He wasn't with them THAT much considering
he was a kid in school and they were a top
touring attraction. A lot of his stories are
stories that are common among anyone who knew
Motowners. I do think he applauded himself
a little too much.
I think the last I had heard he lives over
in Tampa, Florida, but that's been many
years ago.

Antceleb12 (antceleb12)
6-Zenith
Username: antceleb12

Post Number: 1692
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 1:00 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I find interesting, and this is just an observation, is that I have not read or heard many of these stories about Flo (stealing a wheel, her "medicine," urinating in the city, etc.) in anywhere or from anyone else except Tony Turner. I mean, its been said by one and all that Flo and Berry and Diana had disagreements which led to her dismissal, that she had problems with alcohol, that she missed shows, etc. However, I find it interesting how some occurences appear only in certain books, be it Tony's, Mary's, Diana's, Maxine's, Peter Benjaminson's, etc.

marybrewster (marybrewster)
6-Zenith
Username: marybrewster

Post Number: 1925
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 3:17 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last I heard, TT was in Florida doing some cable access television show, like "Good Mourning, Miami". It's been years, so that's probably old news. But I wonder if Delcina was his sidekick a la Ed McMahon?

iluvmj4eternity (iluvmj4eternity)
1-Arriviste
Username: iluvmj4eternity

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 7:20 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How does Tony Turner look these days? I remember he was a sexy looking man with lots of style! (Smile!)

Is Tony Turner going to write another book? He should write a book about Michael Jackson. I think he could write a POSITIVE book about Michael Jackson and a book that will expose the people who made Michael's life hell on earth. Someone needs to write that book.

TOPDIVA (york)
3-Pundit

Post Number: 262
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 8:04 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear Everybody - Friends and Foes alike LOL

HERE'S THE SKINNY!!!!

My friend in NYC who knows Tony, and is usually very tight lipped about him did finally tell me "....Tony has been very happily involved with his partner a 32 year old VISCOUNT for the last 13 years. They live mostly at The Viscount's family villa in Barcelona, but do maintain homes in Palm Beach, and New York. Tony is also friends with Josh Flagg star of Bravo TV's MILLION DOLLAR LISTING. My friend last saw Tony, at the Pierre Hotel in NYC where they maintain a condo apartment in Oct 2009, and he was with Josh Flagg and Josh's grandmother Mrs. Edith Flagg. It seems Josh Flagg and his grandmother had stopped in NYC, flying from Spain, and heading home to Beverly Hills to promote Josh's book, "STORIES MY GRANDMOTHER TOLD ME", and they spent time with Tony Turner and company. And my friend got to met Josh Flagg through Tony. He also said that Tony has been at Mary Wilson's show both times she appeared at The Colony Hotel in Palm Beach - as they live there, mostly during the winter season. He also said that occasionally - Tony will go out on the road with The Temptations Revue Starring Dennis Edwards, as well as with The Three Degrees, if and when he feels like it. He also stated that Tony Turner has no interest in writing another Motown book, and has a completely different life now.

He is going down to a party in Florida for Tony this weekend, and will ask about an interview and current pictures.

There you have it!!!!

Ola Mae (olamaebarto)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 167
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 8:54 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Topdiva - I am well aware of the film with Jane Fonda, thank you very much.

jonc (jonc)
5-Doyen
Username: jonc

Post Number: 739
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 9:02 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Viscountess Turner of Barcelona. LMFAO

Do Tony and the Viscount see much of Baroness Delcina Wilson of Philadelphia these days.

TOPDIVA (york)
3-Pundit

Post Number: 265
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 9:05 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are welcome very much - Ola Mae, Ola Mae.

jonc (jonc)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 740
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 9:05 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I wonder if Delcina was his sidekick a la Ed McMahon?"

Viscountess Turner of Barcelona doesn't have sidekicks Mary Brewster. Viscountess Turner has ladies in waiting.

6-Zenith

Post Number: 1928
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 9:16 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TT has been with his 32 year old partner for 13 years? Honey, he should be charged!

I do wonder though if TT has worked his act to include the VISCOUNT and Josh Flagg. I hear BG was rather impressed with his rendition of "Buttered Popcorn".

jonc (jonc)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 741
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 9:19 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More like Jane Hudson's pianist Edwin Flagg.

Boynextdoor (boynextdoor)
6-Zenith
Username: boynextdoor

Post Number: 1730
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 9:26 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More like Jane Hudson's pianist Edwin Flagg.

Dear God....I may never be the same.

Ola Mae (olamaebarto)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 168
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 9:27 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh dear Mary. So Mr. Turner hooked up with a 19 year old at ..... 40 something?

Ewww!

6-Zenith

Post Number: 1929
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 9:35 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh huh. Girrrrrl.