Soulful Detroit SoulfulDetroit Music Forum Archives - July 2010 SITTING ON THE DOCK OF THE BAY-THE MISSING VERSES Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

JAI NANCE (rhythm66)
6-Zenith
Username: rhythm66

Post Number: 6276
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 9:48 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HEY GANG HERE I GO AGAIN...IT IS SAID THAT THE REASON OTIS WHISELED THE LAST VERSE IS BECAUSE HE FORGOT THE WORDS,WELL WHAT WERE THE WORDS? DOES ANYONE KNOW???

copley (copley)
6-Zenith
Username: copley

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 10:53 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that's just a shaggy dog story.

Juicefree20 (juicefree20)
6-Zenith
Username: juicefree20

Post Number: 14207
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 11:31 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the biographies that I've read, Otis planned for the song to sound exactly as he recorded it.

In one of those books, Steve Cropper (who did the final mix of it) said that after Otis recuperated from throat surgery, he came to him & excitedly told him that he wasn't going to believe what he was planning for the song. Steve said that he got excited because he thought that Otis was going to do one of those hyped-up ad-libs along the lines of "Try A Little Tenderness". Otis then told him that he was going to be whistling at the fade & Steve told him that he had to be kidding. After laying down the track, Steve just looked at Otis & thought that Otis was really changing, it was just so different from anything that Otis had done.

I forgot the reason that Otis gave Steve for whistling out & my books are put up, but it was Otis' plan from the beginning. I don't know if you have it, but the CD "Remember Me" features the first few takes of DOTB, where he mangles the words & the whistling fade. He even does bird calls on the intro of the song.

The only thing added that Otis didn't hear was the sounds of the waves crashing against the shore & unfortunately, he never got to hear the final mix as released.

Everyone was quite shocked that Otis was recording what some said sounded like a Country song & they never dreamed that DOTB would become the monster hit that it became. But when you think about the melancholy feel & lyric of the song, it somewhat sounded like a goodbye & following the tragedy that took his life, this song really grabbed the hearts of the listeners.

42 years later, I still wonder "What If" & wonder just how Otis would've approached the Funk & Disco eras? They say that he was planning to leave Stax & I wonder how he might've fared had he hooked up with Gamble/Huff for a few songs ala. Wilson Pickett, Lou Rawls & Jerry Butler?

The Monterey Pop Festival exposed Otis to a while new audience & DOTB was an off-shoot of that experience. I believe that Otis was changing & his mind was wide open. I believe that we lost a lot when he died because we never got to see his musical evolution come to fruition. Just as with the death of Sam Cooke, I feel cheated that we didn't get to see Otis in the '70s.

Kevin Goins - KevGo (kevgo)
6-Zenith
Username: kevgo

Post Number: 5994
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 11:46 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Otis Redding & manager Phil Walden stayed in the Monterey area after the festival, it was the press reviews lauding his performance that astounded Otis & Phil. T

To them, it was a "little bitty show" that paid no one except Ravi Shankar because the Monterey Pop Festival was to benefit music programs in public schools, among others.

It was then that Otis decided to stay in the area for some time. He rented a houseboat & started working on what became "Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay".

Who knows what would've happened with Otis had he lived. Hell, I'm bummed that he didn't record the Bee Gees' "To Love Somebody" before he died - and the Brothers Gibb wrote that song for Otis (Barry & Robin Gibb said that he was going to cut the song "after he finished his winter tour" of 1967 - and we all know what happened then....)

And yes, Otis was offered a deal with Atlantic Records after the Monterey Pop Festival blew him up to mainstream proportions. Label executive Jerry Wexler discussed this with Otis in the fall of 1967 (according to sources including a radio interview with Wexler). Had he accepted, Otis would've left Stax when his contract expired.

Kevin Goins - KevGo

splanky (splanky)
6-Zenith
Username: splanky

Post Number: 3238
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 12:04 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've discussed this before here and I'd like to remind folks that in the end they had to scrap Otis's whistling at the end and bring in a professional whistler. Felix Hernandez used to play the entire studio takes on his Rhythm Revue show with everyone laughing and teasing Otis that he'd never make it as a pro whistler...

Kevin Goins - KevGo (kevgo)
6-Zenith
Username: kevgo

Post Number: 5996
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 12:18 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right, Splanky. I remember when Stax/Fantasy released the CD with the out-takes from "Dock Of The Bay". Poor Otis couldn't whistle worth a damn and even he was cracking up during the session.

BTW - the out-takes were released on this collection, courtesy of Stax/Fantasy Records..

http://www.concordmusicgroup.c om/albums/Remember-Me-SCD-8572 -2/

Kevin Goins - KevGo

Juicefree20 (juicefree20)
6-Zenith
Username: juicefree20

Post Number: 14211
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 12:52 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Splanky:

I didn't remember that they hired a pro whistler to finish the song. But the "Remember Me" CD has the studio dialogue where they were teasing Otis about his ummmm..."SKILLS", or should I say lack thereof!

KevGo:

I agree, but only if he had approached it more like Roberta & less like The Bee-Gees & James Carr!

John Lester (theboyfromxtown)
6-Zenith
Username: theboyfromxtown

Post Number: 4250
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 7:01 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Juice

That was an interesting concept to think about...Otis in the 70's. Hmmm.

The one major point in his favour was that he got better each time.