Soulful Detroit SoulfulDetroit Music Forum ::: Motown Topics ::: Natural Resources Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

kamasu (kamasu)
6-Zenith
Username: kamasu

Post Number: 7944
Posted From: 63.19.27.91
Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 12:13 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The label was active in Motown history in the 1970s. I think i was intended as a rock division. But I'm interested in the ears 1978 to 1979 when Natural Resources was used as a reissue label.

There were several compilations on NR with titles like Great Interpretations and Motown Show Tunes, etc.

Where Did Our Love Go
Merry Christmas
In A Mellow Mood
Silk 'N' Soul
I'll Try Something New
TCB
Reach Out
Soulful Moods of Marvin Gaye
Were just eight of the classic motown LPs to get reissued on Natural Resources from 1978 to 1979.

Were all of the LPs issued in Stereo?

Why was natural Resources turned into a reissue label?

Workshop Jazz (workshop_jazz)
1-Arriviste
Username: workshop_jazz

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 12.144.20.254
Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 4:14 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everything released in the 70s as far as I've seen was stereo. No one was cutting mono records by that time.

Grapevine (grapevine)
6-Zenith
Username: grapevine

Post Number: 4403
Posted From: 86.13.49.163
Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 6:53 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...most of the Natural Resources LPs are featured here...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/motowntreasurespix2/photos/album/487440010/pic/list

...you have to join the main Motown Treasures site first if not already a member...

http://launch.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/motowntreasures/?v=1&t=directory&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=dir&slk=2

...my favourite of the Natural Resources LPs is undoubtably ...From The Vaults...

...one of the first compilation albums of previously unreleased Motown tracks from the classic period...

...the label released some fine crossover albums of original material too ...here's the full list...

http://www.bsnpubs.com/motown/natural.html

:-)

daddyacey (daddyacey)
6-Zenith
Username: daddyacey

Post Number: 2697
Posted From: 205.188.116.18
Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 11:11 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was lucky enough to buy that "FROM THE VAULTS" lp for $2.00 ,USD ,on one of my "adventures" ,here in the Village ,N.Y.C. A nice lp. I haven't had the chance to research if any of those tracks have been released elsewhere ,like on the Cellarfull or other comps or as bonus tracks on any other releases. By chance Grapevine ,have you??

Grapevine (grapevine)
6-Zenith
Username: grapevine

Post Number: 4405
Posted From: 86.13.49.163
Posted on Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 6:06 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...I'm pretty sure over half have come out on official Motown CDs ...and the rest on Marginal boots...

...I was hoping that the good people at Motown ...on either side of the pond ...would have released those vaulted tracks ...together with these ...from the 1986 LP ...Never-Before-Released Masters From Motown's Brightest Stars The '60s...

Break It Up - Jr Walker & The All Stars
Can't Break The Habit - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
Don't You Feel It - Stevie Wonder
I Can't Escape Your Memory - The Four Tops
I'm Stuck On You - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
Knock On My Door - The Marvelettes
Lois - Stevie Wonder
Mind Over Matter - The Temptations
Stay In My Lonely Arms - Diana Ross & The Supremes
Tearstained Letter - The Temptations
The Day Will Come - Mary Wells
The Tears - Diana Ross & The Supremes

...all on the one CD???

:-)

Robb_K (robb_k)
6-Zenith
Username: robb_k

Post Number: 10297
Posted From: 71.106.81.11
Posted on Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 11:41 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Mind Over Matter" by The Temptations HAD been released before (on vinyl)- on Mel-O-Dy 105 (credited to The Pirates (as The Temptations of "Barbara" fame had sued Motown, claiming they had the name first). Berry Gordy also used that slightly limiting situation, to have 2 Temptations' records not "compete" with each other.

Johnny Raven (johnny_raven)
6-Zenith
Username: johnny_raven

Post Number: 646
Posted From: 71.107.86.239
Posted on Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 11:48 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary Wells' "The Day Will Come" was on her 2nd album, so I never understood why it was on this LP.