Soulful Detroit SoulfulDetroit Music Forum The Wanted - In The Midnight Hour Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

JSmith (jsmith)
6-Zenith
Username: jsmith

Post Number: 4327
Posted From: 195.93.21.9
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 9:18 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This frantic garage version of the Wicked one's big hit did well in Detroit in 1967 !!!
Their 45 sounds like a 'live take' on the song (it has a Mitch Ryder & Detroit Wheels feel to it). Its probably exactly as they performed the song on live gigs back then.
It was released on The Detroit Sound label and got quite a push back in the day (they appeared on the Swingin' Time TV show with Robin Seymour by all accounts).
Who were the (white) guys in the group & did they go on to cut any soul flavoured stuff ??
The 45 was popular enough to be pressed up twice on Det Snd (with different label designs) and (as you can see from the ad), it was picked up by A&M for nation distribution.
I also know it has garnered some plays on the UK mod club scene.

carl_p (carl_p)
5-Doyen
Username: carl_p

Post Number: 379
Posted From: 65.29.116.112
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 10:50 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The above would comprise all their singles. if i'm not mistaken it was chip steiner's father that owned the Detroit Sound label. Teen World is a nice uptempo dance record with a live feel. the last two are highly sought garage records. all their records are classics.

Twirl Records (brianyoung)
5-Doyen
Username: brianyoung

Post Number: 293
Posted From: 76.28.222.13
Posted on Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 1:57 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fantastic line up! Thanks for posting all those labels! Too bad "East Side Story" doesn't list Bob Seger as the songwriter.

Doug Brown from the Omens was involved in The Wanted productions, and had a Mickey Stevenson connection. I think that's how they got picked up on A & M somehow.

Doug Brown eventually became "Dugg Brown" and moved to California to start up Mickey Stevenson's Venture Records. Brown produced the group "Southwind" which included Moon Martin and Jim Pulte, eventually becoming a member of the group himself and then moving to Blue Thumb Records.

As Dugg Brown, in 1968 he produced Del Shannon's psychedic album "The Further Adventures of Charles Westover" on Liberty, and produced a single for Brian Hyland on Dot Records called "Come With Me" (a Hyland-Brown co-write) b/w "Delilah" (Shannon-Hyland).

Brown also produced The Caretakers doing a cover of Seger's "East Side Story" on Rip'Off Records, and later Brown became known as Fontaine Brown, forming the group Fast Fontaine in the late 70's.

When Del Shannon did his comeback in 1981 with the Tom Petty produced album "Drop Down And Get Me," Brown contributed his organ player Gary Johnson into Del's touring band, which included Steve Hufsteter from the L.A. Band The Quick, and Howie Epstein, later jumping over to Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers.

5-Doyen

Post Number: 294
Posted on Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 2:00 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here's my interview with Doug Brown I did about 10 years ago:

http://www.delshannon.com/dugg brown.html

Mark Speck (mark_speck)
6-Zenith
Username: mark_speck

Post Number: 6185
Posted From: 66.61.60.79
Posted on Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 2:54 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love how the Detroit Sound 45 label has all the group members listed on it!

Best,

Mark

douglasm (douglasm)
6-Zenith
Username: douglasm

Post Number: 3044
Posted From: 75.139.166.139
Posted on Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 3:25 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Wanted "Midnight Hour"....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =LYBqnvKdHqI

Gawd, let the memories flow......

Mark Speck (mark_speck)
6-Zenith
Username: mark_speck

Post Number: 6188
Posted From: 66.61.60.79
Posted on Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 10:11 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you look at that scan for "Midnight Hour", it lists the writers as 'S. COOPER' and 'W.Pickett'...wonder how Steve CROPPER would feel if he saw that?

Also, their version of "Knock On Wood" credits Pickett as the writer...I don't think he was!

Best,

Mark

5-Doyen

Post Number: 298
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 2:25 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doug Brown / Dugg Brown must have smelled a hit in "East Side Story" because he produced the record at least three times: For Bob Seger, for The Wanted, and finally for The Caretakers. Dugg should have whispered in Del Shannon's ear: "Del, you should cut this record." I wonder what would have happened??

stephanie (stephanie)
6-Zenith
Username: stephanie

Post Number: 1740
Posted From: 68.166.148.82
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 10:17 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bow down to Doug. The Further Adventures of Charles Westover is one of the best early psych produced records for someone who was a rocker like Del wanting to go into another arena. Its not on the level of an Electric Prunes or Iron Butterfly but it is certainly listenable and Del doesnt sound foolish he sounds great. Gemini and Colour Flashing Hair are great cuts. Ive Been Thinking it Over could have been a hit off the bat I dont know why the public didnt respond its much better than his remakes on his Liberty album.