Soulful DetroitArchives - January 2009 � The Cool Gent @ Afriware Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

Chi Drummer (chidrummer)
6-Zenith
Username: chidrummer

Post Number: 3163
Posted From: 24.14.52.164
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 8:03 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got back from a wonderful book signing by one of Chicago's most legendary DJ's, Herb Kent. Known to one and all as the Cool Gent, Herb is appearing at various book stores promote his autobiography: The Cool Gent-The nine lives of radio legend, Herb Kent.

k1

The festivities started off with a brief speech by Afriware's owner, Nzingha Nommo.

The crowd was then treated to a jazzy version of Rocket Love. The band played the song in Herb's honor and his love of Stevie Wonder's music.

k2

Chi Drummer (chidrummer)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 3164
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 8:11 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Next, the mighty Mr. Kent took to the podium. He spoke for almost an hour and a half. Herb answered a wide variety of questions from the book and his very colorful life as a DJ.

k3

Herb revealed the identity/origin of the Wah Who Man. Kent gave us some interesting details about the original Temptations and some hilarious tidbits concerning Chess Records and Leonard's death.

k4

Ah, the stories this man could tell. And he does in the book. He mentioned he didn't leave much out. I have my copy and am looking forward to learning more about this great broadcaster's journey.

GEETEE(HPK) (geeteehpk)
6-Zenith
Username: geeteehpk

Post Number: 3030
Posted From: 75.22.226.78
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 9:47 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right on,Chi ! :-) (nice photos)

I'm glad you had a chance to attend his book signing.

Chi Drummer (chidrummer)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 3167
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 12:43 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, the funny thing was, I have seen him in almost 20 years. While Nzingha was doing her thing, we talked together like we'd known each other for years. Then while the band was playing Herb asked me what the name of the tune they were playing. I couldn't come up with it. No one around us remembered it. We only remembered the melody and some of the words. We finally had to ask the band. When they said, Rocket Love we all fell over, "yeah, that's it!" That was fun. I've been to plenty of book signings, but this one was a party.

Kdubya (paladin)
6-Zenith
Username: paladin

Post Number: 4676
Posted From: 71.57.98.64
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 8:43 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great "revue" and nice photos Chi, glad you enjoyed yourself, the man is really "Kool"......lol

GEETEE(HPK) (geeteehpk)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 3043
Posted From: 155.181.152.1
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 10:08 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chi,
The woman playing the sax,was that D'rania? (sp)

Chi Drummer (chidrummer)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 3172
Posted From: 68.20.201.244
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 11:02 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why, yes it was. Good call, Geetee.
BTW, what's the name of the band?
I can't remember.

(Message edited by chidrummer on March 16, 2009)

catwoman55 (catwoman55)
6-Zenith
Username: catwoman55

Post Number: 631
Posted From: 98.212.122.131
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 12:33 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chi Drummer,

I'm glad that you were able to go to that book signing. Thanks for the commentary and the photos :-)

Cat

GEETEE(HPK) (geeteehpk)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 3045
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 7:48 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure what the name of her band,but I have a CD she recorded a few years ago.
(I'll have to find the name of the CD)

I'm glad to see she's still making music. :-)

GEETEE(HPK) (geeteehpk)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 3049
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 8:16 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me correct myself for misspelling her name.

It's D-Erania,and she has a website. (even though the info needs to be updated,but it's a start)

The name of her CD is "Offerings of Love",and it's available at various locations.

www.d-erania.com

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.