Soulful Detroit Archives - January 2009 Soul -vs- Soul Train Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

Kev-Lo (7273747576)
6-Zenith
Username: 7273747576

Post Number: 2699
Posted From: 96.232.54.93
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 8:55 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi this is Kev-Lo

We might have discussed this before, But being that the music show Soul became a big thread on here. I just thought I would ask this.

Which did you like and thought was the best between these two musical T.V. shows

Soul Train Was great but to me but Soul got in to other things besides the music. And I like when various artists would host deferent shows

GEETEE(HPK) (geeteehpk)
6-Zenith
Username: geeteehpk

Post Number: 2924
Posted From: 75.22.204.130
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 12:12 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kev-Lo,

Both shows were great,but they both were different.

One was a dance show and the other was a music/variety show,that offer much more than a dance show.

So I wouldn't compare either show to say one was better than the other.

Even though lip sync performance is not a problem for me to watch,but I prefer live performances and Soul offer just that.

moonbeam (moonbeam)
6-Zenith
Username: moonbeam

Post Number: 1896
Posted From: 71.167.192.72
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 8:02 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

soul was more real than soul train. the interviews on soul felt real as the interviews on soultrain seemed rehearsed. but both were good shows.

mr_june (mr_june)
6-Zenith
Username: mr_june

Post Number: 1227
Posted From: 208.49.131.4
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 11:02 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked both for what they are. Soul Train did have some folks sing live every now and then (James Brown, Isley Brothers, Mandrill etc.) and I like the feel of Soul as it has a whole different feel to it. I'ts more into the black power thing that was going on and host like Nikki Giovanni were heavy into that. I forgot what that environment felt like but Soul made brought it back to mind. Soul Train lasted a lot longer and was on TV so long that by reason of it's tenure it's culturally revelant. It's a time capsule for music, dances and fashion. It's sad to see so many artist from both of those shows that are no longer with us.

daddyacey (daddyacey)
6-Zenith
Username: daddyacey

Post Number: 2035
Posted From: 161.185.151.193
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 2:35 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SOUL ,being on PBS was more of an "artsy" ,type of program in its presentation , while I've always considered SOUL TRAIN to be the mirror image of American Bandstand , in sepia:-), more of a commercial presentation. Just my opinion.

(Message edited by daddyacey on March 02, 2009)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.