Soulful Detroit Archives - January 2009 THE BEST DEAL YOU EVER DID? Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

TAMLA617 (tamla617)
4-Laureate
Username: tamla617

Post Number: 161
Posted From: 86.169.56.221
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 5:37 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 years ago i was visiting blackpool and just wondering around and passed a second hand record shop/music collectables type place. so i went in on the off chance i might find something.i had 25 quid in notes and some shrapnel.i was looking thru the soul/motown bit and the owner called over and said he had some more i went over and my heart jumped. he had meet the supremes on stateside,here comes the judge and irresistible by tammi both on uk tm. all 3 were mint.and all 3 had only 1 spindle witness mark on the b side.i told him all i had was 25 and some bits.he must have been having a rough time'cos after about 5 minutes of i can get more on e bay etc he said ok.at this point i thought i was only getting 1 of the albums,instead he put all 3 in a carrier bag and i gave him 28.45.i couldn't get outta there quick enough my feet were smokin' and i must have had the biggest grin walking back to the hotel

Chi Drummer (chidrummer)
6-Zenith
Username: chidrummer

Post Number: 3128
Posted From: 24.14.52.164
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 7:58 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got one for ya, Tamla. While in college I paid a fellow student 8 dollars for a second state butcher cover of The Beatles' Yesterday and Today LP. I still have that album, current value in the neighborhood of $900 dollars. I was grinnin' like a Cheshire Cat when I made that deal. I even told him how valuable the LP was (about $150 at the time) and he didn't believe me. Ha!!!

daddyacey (daddyacey)
6-Zenith
Username: daddyacey

Post Number: 2017
Posted From: 205.188.116.18
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 2:15 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gentlemen , that is what is called IMO ,the thrill of the hunt!!:-)

Grapevine (grapevine)
6-Zenith
Username: grapevine

Post Number: 3314
Posted From: 212.46.150.66
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 4:07 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...I went into a local second-hand junk shop about 20 years ago ...they had a box of assorted ...mainly UK budget ...albums ...in the middle was a mint copy of Stevie's 1963 US Tamla LP 'With A Song In My Heart' ...I immediatel bought it ...for the princely sum of ...50p !!!

:-)

Timmy Funk (timmyfunk)
6-Zenith
Username: timmyfunk

Post Number: 2026
Posted From: 24.187.171.68
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 6:28 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which is how much in US Dollar note?

Bought a mint+ condition copy of "Motor Booty Affair" by Parliament for $1.99, and this was in the eighties, a time when those albums were hard to find and extremely pricey.

Motown_Fan (motown_fan)
6-Zenith
Username: motown_fan

Post Number: 3267
Posted From: 65.54.97.191
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 9:50 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fifty Pounds in the UK is approximately $99.00-$100.00 American dollars ... depending on the daily exchange rate.

The UK sum of 28.45 pounds is around $55-$57 in US dollars, I think.

(Message edited by motown_fan on February 20, 2009)

stephanie (stephanie)
6-Zenith
Username: stephanie

Post Number: 824
Posted From: 68.166.148.82
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 9:54 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got Lou Christies Rhapsody in the Rain for 5.00 and it was the one that had the original lyrics and its worth 30.00 now. I also got the original Heartaches Away my Boy by Christine Cooper in the 60s for what 45 cents and now Northern Soul Buffs are paying 300-400 for it and I STILL have it. We played it to death though and now its on the Cameo Parkway boxed set so you can get it now where as before you couldnt

Steve K (ltlftc)
5-Doyen
Username: ltlftc

Post Number: 213
Posted From: 24.11.217.163
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 12:15 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably the best deal I ever had was picking up a couple Howlin Wolf and Elmore James 78's for a nickel apiece, as well as a mint 78 of Bill Doggett's Honky Tonk. Also , Buddy Holly's first lp for a buck (scratchy in spots but very playable). 2 or 3 copies of Parliament's Osmium for 77 Cents at Woolco in 1976, I think. I never even knew it existed before that, though I immediately remembered hearing "Pussycat" on the radio a couple times.
Also, a stereo copy of the Ronettes album for 5 bucks or so (more rare than the mono).

JAI NANCE (rhythm66)
6-Zenith
Username: rhythm66

Post Number: 5792
Posted From: 138.238.41.88
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 3:42 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAAAAAAA,YA'LL PAID TOO MUCH,I HAVE A VINTAGE COPY OF THE BEATLES[LET IT BE]ON THE ORIGINAL LABLE THAT SOMEONE GAVE TO ME...MAKE ME AN OFFER I DARE YA!

Chi Drummer (chidrummer)
6-Zenith
Username: chidrummer

Post Number: 3129
Posted From: 24.14.52.164
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 5:06 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jai,unless you have the boxed version of Let It Be with the booklet in excellent condition, what you have is pretty common.

chess1458 (chess1458)
5-Doyen
Username: chess1458

Post Number: 175
Posted From: 216.221.203.84
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 8:22 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I Was 15 Years Old Living In My Hometown Of Baltimore Maryland,Everyday On My Way Home From School I Would Pass This Old Billiards Hall That Had Been Closed Down For Years.One Day I Asked My Father About It,And He Said It Closed Around 1960,He Used To Hang In Their As A Teenager.Dad And I Rode Up There,And When He Gave Me A Boost To Look Through The Tall Window,In The Back Along The Wall Were About 200 Record Company Boxes,Chess,King,Rpm,Dootone,e tc,etc.Well Needless To Say I Went Crazy,And My Father Said That He Knew The Guy Who Owned The Building,That Was If He Was Still Alive.A Few Day Had Passed,and My Dad Told Me He Contacted The Guy,And In Fact,He Was Still Around.We Had To Meet Him Saturday At 10.00am At The Old Billiard Hall.As Soon As The Old Man Unlocked The Door,I Felt Like I Stepped Back In Time.The Calendar On The Wall Was Still Flipped Open To,October 1960.I Went Right To The Back Wall And Grabbed The First Company Box I Saw,Chess Records,It Was Filled With Nothing But Mint Moonglows,Muddy Waters,Howlin Wolf,and It Was All Multple Copies Of The Same Records.I Didn't Even Have Too Look In The Other Boxes,I Pretty Much Knew What Was In There.When We Looked In The Backroom,"Jackpot",It Was The Same Kind Of Company Record Boxes,Only These Were 45 rpm's.We Spent Half The Afternoon There,And Dad Being The Goodhearted Person He Was,Bought Every Record Box That Was In There.Dad's Been Gone For 3 Years Now,But Ill Never Forget The Day He And I Discovered That Little Treasure.

TAMLA617 (tamla617)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 168
Posted From: 195.93.21.9
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 11:38 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

now thats what i'm talking about

great story chess i felt the excitement over here!

MUCH MORE THAN THAT THO'GREAT MEMORIES OF YOUR DAD

chess1458 (chess1458)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 178
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 11:53 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tamla!!!!,I Still Wonder What Happened To The Rest Of The Stuff That Was In That Building,Because Other Than The Records,There Were A Few Old Jukeboxes,Pinball Machines,Candy Machines,Etc,Etc,and A Ton Of Old Advertisment Signs.Pic Of Me And Dad When I Was About 2

Steve K (ltlftc)
5-Doyen
Username: ltlftc

Post Number: 214
Posted From: 24.11.217.163
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 1:38 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool story, Chess. I've fantasized about stumbling across a record store that closed in, say, 1971 and finding it just as it was when it closed; fully stocked, with then-current posters on the wall etc.

Robb_K (robb_k)
6-Zenith
Username: robb_k

Post Number: 9798
Posted From: 66.81.120.231
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 3:18 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 1965, I found a M- 45 of "Dreams of You" by The Royals on Okeh Records from 1952, behind a bookcase in a thrift shop. I paid 5 for it, among a boxful of cut-out DJ Soul 45s. In 1969, I traded it for $550 worth of R&B 45s.

I paid 5 and 10 apiece for many R&B, Blues, Jazz Soul and gospel 45s in the '60s, including many very valuable records. Too many to mention.

TAMLA617 (tamla617)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 172
Posted From: 92.0.152.51
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 4:32 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you aint changed abit chess!

LOVE THESE STORES. THESE ARE THE THINGS I HOPE FOR ON EVERY VISIT TO A CHARITY SHOP (sorry shouting again!)
btw if i do see something special i always pay 'em more 'cos it is for charity and am
getting it "cheap"
STEVE I'VE HAD THOSE DREAMS WOKE UP AND SEARCHED MY BED SIDE FOR A STACK OF records i was convinced were mine!
i keep shouting cos every time i post i gotta keep registering it's a right pain

(Message edited by TAMLA617 on February 21, 2009)

Grapevine (grapevine)
6-Zenith
Username: grapevine

Post Number: 3318
Posted From: 82.30.126.101
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 6:28 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Timmyfunk ...and Motown fan ...50 is fifty pounds ...50p (fifty pence) ...is half of 1 (one pound) ...so 50p is approximately 70 cents in today's money

:-)

chess1458 (chess1458)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 179
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 6:47 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your Right Tamla,I Just Picked Up Some Extra Pounds Over The Years lol,Those Places Are Out There,Just Gotta Keep Your Eyes Open And Pray You Are The First One To Hit It.

Wonder B (wonder_b)
6-Zenith
Username: wonder_b

Post Number: 1880
Posted From: 86.215.162.196
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 7:04 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found a mint copy of Don Blackman's LP on Arista for 50 in Oakland in the late 80's and a sealed (original of course) copy of the Rayfield Reid LP for $2 in San Diego last year.

But the best day in my life happened in Feb 1989 when I went to a record store in the suburbs of Chicago because I had seen the address in the yellow pages. Why did I chose that particular store I don't know because it was still far from my downtown hotel and the taxi fare was pretty expensive. Call it a hunch...!

WHen I got off the cab all I could see in the store was toys and stuff far away from what a record store would put on display.
I went in, and only in the back did I see a few (like 10) records loosely spread on a record rack which could hold 100's...
Needless to say I was pretty disappointed... I went to the cashier with a couple of records (because I didn't want to come out empty handed) and the owner came by the lady at the cashier, took a look at what I was buying and said 'You're interested in that kind of stuff?' I said 'Well yes but it seems you were dealing records a long time ago because there aren't that many here...'
The guy said 'come with me son and let's go downstairs'... it was all dark and dusty but when he opened the door at the bottom, and switched on the light, the room was cleaned as a whistle, and it was huge beyond huge. There were metal racks (floor to ceiling, wall to wall) full (and I mean full like in so tight you had to pull a dozen to be able to see the others on the same rack) of sealed LP, all in alphabetical order and by genre (jazz-soul-rock-soundtracks ...)
I went nuts in a second but the store was closing!

I promised to be there at the opening the next morning and had a very bad sleep (thinking they might be gone in the morning or maybe I had dreamt all of this)!

I came back and stayed without eating or drinking from 9am to 7pm, going mad in there just me and a guy from the store who helped me box the stuff I wanted!

Then at the time of going back up to the main floor, I almost had a heart attack because I had forgotten to ask how much were the records (no price on them) and what kind of payment he accepted! It had already been hard to choose from all the stuff I wanted to buy and I couldn't even see myself taking one record of the huge pile!!!

I ended up paying between $2 & $6 depending on his appreciation for it (!) but he wanted cash. I had to go to several ATM machines and take out the max of what my card was allowed.

I called my cab back and loaded the trunk, gave a good bonus to the guy who had helped me down there (without his boss seeing it because he treated him like dirt) and went back to the hotel with 420 LP's all sealed in perfect condition!

I had a little trouble moving them around in my bedroom (LOL) and getting them registered on the plane back home!
The year after I planned on going back there and get some of the records I hadn't been able to buy the first time but unfortunately the store was gone... don't know where the remaining thousands of records went to...

Had I been a record dealer I wouldn't have taken any chances and I would have bought the whole stock!!!

ColtonThomas (soullegends)
6-Zenith
Username: soullegends

Post Number: 479
Posted From: 68.118.72.44
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 7:59 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a couple weeks ago I picked up Little Willie John's Fever LP for $1 not a bad deal at all. lol

chess1458 (chess1458)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 181
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 2:23 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I Tell Ya SteveK,That Old Building Is A Dream I Have Over And Over Again lol

Phil (phil)
6-Zenith
Username: phil

Post Number: 1426
Posted From: 91.172.103.129
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 2:46 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great story, Wonder !

ColtonThomas (soullegends)
6-Zenith
Username: soullegends

Post Number: 487
Posted From: 68.118.72.44
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 8:51 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

about 10 minutes ago I went to a yard sale around the corner from my house the lady had a 45 rack full and the first 45 i picked up was Little Walter on Checker with My Babe. I asked the lady how much she wanted for the whole rack she said $25 so I bought them. When I got home I started to look at them and found out that all of them are rare Doo Wop & R&B 45's!! Richard Berry & The Dreamers 'At Last" and a bunch of other Richard Berry 45's and many many other 45's on various labels.

Robb_K (robb_k)
6-Zenith
Username: robb_k

Post Number: 9804
Posted From: 66.81.122.243
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 9:53 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great find, Colton. I thought those times were long over. I stopped looking in 1972.

daddyacey (daddyacey)
6-Zenith
Username: daddyacey

Post Number: 2018
Posted From: 205.188.116.18
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 2:24 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About two years ago ,a friends mother had called me and said that "there were a bunch of records down in the basement ,that someone through away and I know you collect music." We live in high rise buildings ,so I said let me hurry on over there. You never know what you find in these sort of situations ,so something told my to bring my shopping cart. I got there , two blocks away ,and found 600 R&B/Jazz lp's stacked in piles.All from say 73 to 85. Most of them still had shrink wrap and the few I pulled to check the vinyl were shiny like new. Like one of those guys that made a cassette of the record and stored the record away. I mean shiny black ,crispy stiff inner sleeve, Mint-!!!!!!
I went blank...I had my first ever colon exam that morning , and I was sure that the drugs was still kicking in and I was dreaming. (That's true!) I just started shoving what I could in that shopping cart. As luck would have it ,my brother also lived in the building ,and I was able to shuttle records up to his house to store until I could get them home ,two blocks away. It took me 4 full shopping carts ,4 back and forth trips, to get all of those records. I was tired the Fxxk out by the time I finished ,but happy as pig in mud! I couldn't do nothing but go to sleep after I got them all ,and I dream't about going through them the next day. I found about 200 duplicates of things I have ,and they are M- ,about 160 things I didn't have ,some I wanted and some I just didn't mind having if had the money. The rest I have on the side to catalog and sell or trade ,along with my own doubles and triples. Space for the personal collection is now very tight and it's time for this obsession of mine to pull it's weight.
But I digress. Even though I have found lp's and 45's thrown away before and have had older people that have albums and don't play them or pass away ,(I've got some nice vintage jazz in great condition), this was the motherlode find.
True story . Ended up being a hell of a day.:-)
Now ,I don't feel no guilt about having these albums ,because........for whatever reason they were down in that basement in the trash , they have thru fate , wound up in the hands of someone who can continue to care for them in the same manner as the previous owner.

Timmy Funk (timmyfunk)
6-Zenith
Username: timmyfunk

Post Number: 2053
Posted From: 24.187.171.68
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 9:50 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, I knew there were more stories in my past. In 1987, when I worked as a foot messenger, I stumbled across a sidewalk sale somewhere around 77th street on the east side of Manhattan. The guy was selling 45's for $1.00. While browsing through, I found a copy of "Talking Loud And Saying Nothing" by James Brown, but it was on the King label instead of the Polydor label. I just figured that it was the regular version that was initially released by King. Low and behold it was a earlier version of the song with a rock oriented arrangement. I nearly lost my mind. I sold it on eBay back in 2006, which was years after it popped up on one of the "James Brown's Funky People" compilations.

TAMLA617 (tamla617)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 178
Posted From: 86.168.99.211
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:27 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey timmy funk
do you ever get down st marks place in east village?
went there in 05 got some great stuff

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.