Soulful Detroit Archives - January 2009 Brit Girls Storm the Grammy's Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

JSmith (jsmith)
6-Zenith
Username: jsmith

Post Number: 3499
Posted From: 195.93.21.9
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 2:48 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems at least one UK female singer should win a Grammy this weekend -- hope its Duffy, she deserves the honour (btw, what did your typical US MTV viewer make of the NS dancers in her "Mercy" video ??).

Will us Brits get to see the ceremony on TV here I guess so (after the event rather than live), but does anyone have the details of the channel / day & time it will go out ??

the three degrees (harry)
3-Pundit
Username: harry

Post Number: 55
Posted From: 92.254.17.199
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 5:11 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hear,hear
Duffy it is for me!

BankHouseDave (bankhousedave)
6-Zenith
Username: bankhousedave

Post Number: 4713
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 5:09 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was amazed when I first saw Duffy's Mercy video. Partly because of her and the band's performance, but mainly because - at my great age - I had just been to my first soul weekender. That video got the Pontin's atmosphere dead right.

JSmith (jsmith)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 3506
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 5:20 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I checked the UK TV listings on line & it seems that ITV2 will be screening an edited version of the Grammy's at 9pm Monday night (the show lasts over an hour).
So I guess, these edited highlights will focus on the top awards & the British winners.

kamasu (kamasu)
6-Zenith
Username: kamasu

Post Number: 6773
Posted From: 65.54.97.152
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 9:03 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't seen the Duffy video here in America. It's possible they made a different one for the US.

I have a hunch that after most of America is still on an Obama election high, British acts aren't going to do all that well at the Grammys ... even though they do dominate in some of the major categories.

How'd that happen?

And do American acts dominate categories at the British equivalent of the Grammys?

(Message edited by kamasu on February 08, 2009)

WANDAful (wandaful)
4-Laureate
Username: wandaful

Post Number: 99
Posted From: 82.42.128.103
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 9:17 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kamasu this is for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =KE2orthS3TQ

JSmith (jsmith)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 3510
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 10:12 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those guys dance great; I especially like the section about 2 minutes into the video.

If I wasn't 59 years old and in possession of 2 left feet, I could dance like that.

moonbeam (moonbeam)
6-Zenith
Username: moonbeam

Post Number: 1875
Posted From: 72.89.215.2
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:36 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i like duffy song. i also like adele singing with sugarland last night. l really was feeling that song.

Brother Love (brother_love)
6-Zenith
Username: brother_love

Post Number: 678
Posted From: 76.219.224.111
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 4:35 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank God for Britt girls such as Adele and Duffy they bring a little hope to the music industry. They were the only two new artists that I was feeling in the past year. They both brought something fresh to the game and deserve their Grammy Awards. All the rest can not sing their way out of a wet paper bag.

karralyn (karralyn)
2-Debutant
Username: karralyn

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 24.3.237.153
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:15 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all,
I really don't listen to most music of today, as I am a Motown freak, and soul music , of course.
At work, since the Xmas music disappeared, they have this music on, that I have NEVER heard before, and most of my co-workers agree. Anyhow, everyday, I was hearing this song, and it kind of caught my attention, so I looked it up on youtube. It turned out to be "Chasing Pavement", by Adele. Imagine my surprise when I found out she was up for a Grammy. So my question is, is this cd good, or just that song.......does anyone know? I really thought she was a soul singer, so that was another surprise.
karralyn

Chi Drummer (chidrummer)
6-Zenith
Username: chidrummer

Post Number: 3106
Posted From: 24.14.52.164
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 12:20 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Corrine Bailey Rae, Duffy, Adele and even Joss Stone. What's going on across the water? A Soul Revival?

Adrian (adrian)
6-Zenith
Username: adrian

Post Number: 418
Posted From: 86.21.66.149
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 3:46 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

US video was totally different:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =hjfdTrElE-Y&feature=related

Nowhere near as good as the UK version.

JSmith (jsmith)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 3542
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 4:52 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So did Duffy's record company think US fans couldn't take the sight of NS dancers ....
... or more likely did they think MTV bosses wouldn't get the dancers in the video & so wouldn't play it ??

moonbeam (moonbeam)
6-Zenith
Username: moonbeam

Post Number: 1879
Posted From: 72.89.211.158
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 9:43 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is this the new british invasion?

john (johnjeb)
6-Zenith
Username: johnjeb

Post Number: 416
Posted From: 173.48.113.9
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 10:16 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to know about the Adele CD, as well.

I saw her on Saturday Night Live a couple of months ago and loved her song "Cold Shoulder".

JSmith (jsmith)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 3543
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 1:19 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

moonbeam,
... the last British invasion came on the back of our recycling R&B sounds & selling them back to you Yanks.
Guess what, at present our best singers are recycling 60's / 70's style soul sounds & selling em back to the Yanks ..... ... SO IT COULD HAPPEN.
.... The obvious difference between current UK & US acts is .......
Brit acts have listened to old soul singers & are using what they've heard to influence the sounds they're making BUT without just nicking (sampling) all the best old riffs.
US acts are so wrapped up in bling whilst they plunder (sample) old tracks without acknowledging thats what they're doing, that I doubt Yank singers (who mostly talk [rap] rather than sing) will follow a similar positive path.

The Valley (thevalley)
5-Doyen
Username: thevalley

Post Number: 384
Posted From: 85.0.39.33
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 2:26 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NS dancers?

JSmith (jsmith)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 3544
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 2:39 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Northern Soul dancers ....
... its a whole different way to do it ....

Adrian (adrian)
6-Zenith
Username: adrian

Post Number: 421
Posted From: 213.106.210.252
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 7:19 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So did Duffy's record company think US fans couldn't take the sight of NS dancers ....
... or more likely did they think MTV bosses wouldn't get the dancers in the video & so wouldn't play it ??

Maybe they considered Northern Soul to be too "British" for the US market?

(Message edited by adrian on February 11, 2009)

JSmith (jsmith)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 3545
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 1:47 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YEA, like Monty Python & 'the Office' were too British for you simple Yanks to get.

I think the record company just underestimates the US MTV audience.
It was the UK video that first got a buzz going, this led to more TV plays for it & wham, the track went to the top of the charts.
If it worked here, in Europe, Australia, etc ... why wouldn't it work in the US ??

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.