Soulful Detroit » Archives - January 2009 » UK does Motown « Previous Next »

Top of pageBottom of page

Ms. M (ms_m)
6-Zenith
Username: ms_m

Post Number: 8643
Posted From: 70.144.151.246
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My apologies if this has been posted.

Congrats to all involved. Sounds like a grand success. You guys really know how to throw a party:-)

Memories Of MotownThe Estrel, BerlinSunday 11th January 2009 Part tribute, part original artists and part narrative were the essential ingredients of a most memorable show celebrating Motown’s 50th Anniversary. Hosted at the vast Estrel hotel, convention and entertainment complex in the eastern part of Berlin, the glitzy revue-styled extravaganza was well orchestrated and superbly executed. MC / translator Carmen Franke ensured smooth continuity throughout and the nine-piece ban d with up to four back-up singers ably led by musical director Glen Raby did a fine job in recreating the famed Motown Sound.Strangely, the audience, although warmly appreciative, were rather restrained. It took a spirited ‘Dancing In The Street’ finale with Martha Reeves leading the ensemble off stage and around the wine tables to get people clapping and stomping their feet.Blue-suited Bobby Brooks Hamilton has the quiffed hair, gyrations and voice of his father Jackie Wilson. It was as if we were witnessing a performance by Mr Entertainment himself as Bobby glided into ‘Lonely Teardrops’ and ‘Reet Petite’ - most uncanny. This was just the right start to the evening’s proceedings as label bos s Berry Gordy wrote for Wilson before he formed Motown.Bobby Rogers, original member of The Miracles, was unable to appear due to illness, Charles Davis being an excellent replacement. Together with Dave Finley, Tee Turner and Stirge Moreland, their smooth harmon ies punctuated ‘Shop Around’, ‘You’ve Really Got A Hold Of Me’, ‘Mickey’s Monkey’ and ‘The Tracks Of My Tears’.Martha Reeves (without her Vandellas) graced the stage with the first of two appearances, shaking her tambourine to the strains of ‘(Love Is Like A) Heat Wave’, ‘Nowhere To Run’ and ‘Jimmy Mack’. Roz Thomas, stunning in a blue clinging dress, showed the nuances and savvy of Diana Ross with a voice to match, and presented a Supremes segment of hits as well as Ross’ ‘I8 0m Coming Out’ and ‘Reach Out And Touch (Somebody’s Hand)’.Miracle Tee Turner doubled up as Marvin Gaye. Resplendent in a white tailed suit, Turner certainly looked the part but lacked the charisma associated with the Motown chart-maker on E2Pride And Joy’, ‘How Sweet It Is’, ‘It Takes Two’ (with Rachael Hiew) and a sparkling rendition of ‘I Heard It Through The Grapevine’.The Contours, led by Sylvester Potts who was in the group at the time ‘Do You Love Me’ was recorded back in 1962, were simply exhilarating with lead vocals being swopped amidst precise choreography. Wearing shimmering red jackets and white slacks, Potts, Tony Womack (no relation to Bobby), Darell Nunlee and Kim Green stormed into The Temptations’ ‘Get Ready’ and Jackie Wilson’s ‘Higher & Higher’ before maintaining the momentum with their own ‘First I Look At The Purse’, ‘Just A Little Misunderstanding’ and, inevitably, ‘Do You Love Me’. In between, they slowed the tempo down with a s ublime take on The Five Satins’ ‘In The Still Of The Night’.Melanie Burke, daughter of Solomon, performed a beautiful duet with Justin Holley on ‘It’s So Hard To S ay Goodbye’ before Martha’s ‘Dancing In The Street’ brought the show to a rousing climax.Co-writers Al Abrams (the first Motown employee and PR Director) and William ‘Mickey’ Stevenson (Motown’s A&R Director and prolific producer / song-writer) were on hand to relate some fascinating stories of the early years of Motown although the humorous element was sometimes lost on the audience (maybe through translation). Stevenson introduced a new typically driving care-free Motown song he had written especially for the show with protégé Justin Holley, appropriately titled ‘The Motown Song’.An added dimension were the two large screens high u p on either side of the arena showing original black and white footage (including clips from Ready Steady Go!) which was synchronised (well, mostly) to the performance on stage – a most effective technique.A lot of planning and much thought went into this wonderful revue. Congratulations to producer Bernhard Kutz and to everyone involved. It deserves to go on tour and be appreciated bya wider audience.

copley (copley)
6-Zenith
Username: copley

Post Number: 656
Posted From: 86.166.26.186
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shouldn't the thread have been called 'Germany does Motown'!

Ms. M (ms_m)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 8648
Posted From: 70.144.151.246
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point....my apologies to Germany:-)

Ms. M (ms_m)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 8663
Posted From: 68.221.20.149
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately I am not able to go back into the original post to ad the authors byline so please note this was written by :
Ray Ellis for Juke Blues Magazine.

My apologies to Mr. Ellis for the initial omission.

Keith Rylatt (keith_rylatt)
5-Doyen
Username: keith_rylatt

Post Number: 394
Posted From: 84.68.25.32
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fot those interested, UK Tamla Motown intend to issue a series of vinyl 45s over the course of the year, starting in February with six, from Barrett Strong, Mary Wells, Brenda Holloway, Supremes, Velvelettes, Four Tops, Contours, C Crawford, Marvelettes & Temps. Many of these are back to back. I think that further info can be obtained from www.motown50.co.uk Sorry if this info is already available on the Motown Topics section.

Grapevine (grapevine)
6-Zenith
Username: grapevine

Post Number: 3265
Posted From: 82.30.126.101
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 4:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...it's also mentioned on the new UK Motown site Keith...

http://www.motown50.co.uk/wiki /News/LimitedEdition7VinylRele asesSetForFebruary2009

:-)

Keith Rylatt (keith_rylatt)
5-Doyen
Username: keith_rylatt

Post Number: 400
Posted From: 84.68.25.32
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Grapevine, there is a good article about Motown at 50 in the February issue of Manifesto, where it gives an informative calander of events. Looking at the titles of the singles however - I won't buy any, they are all hit tunes.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.