Soulful Detroit Archives - January 2009 Need help...looking for smooth jazz artists/relaxing music recommendations Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

Carlo (carlo)
6-Zenith
Username: carlo

Post Number: 566
Posted From: 67.68.37.165
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 10:08 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey everybody,

Over the last couple of years I've really been getting into smooth jazz music, as I discovered a local smooth jazz radio station that I enjoy listening to, but it doesn't come in so clear at times.

I'm wondering if anybody could recommend some good relaxing and mellow smooth jazz music/artists for me? I'm looking for a Vanessa Williams type style, as I really like "Save the Best For Last" (I guess that isn't REALLY smooth jazz, but she has some other stuff that sounds like it with a 90's sound to it). I discovered some artists like Grover Washington Jr. and Eric Darius, but they're more upbeat and I need some good relaxing stuff too (don't say Kenny G, lol).

You could even maybe suggest some mellow and soulful 90's ballads/artists for me as well. I also like the Pointer Sisters' "Tell It To My Heart". Maybe someone can catch my vibe? :-)

abfan (abfan)
6-Zenith
Username: abfan

Post Number: 2627
Posted From: 173.78.20.168
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 10:18 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uhmmm Let's see My Diva AB comes to mind.. very relaxing
here is a example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =_3K97Ebl2mI

Carlo (carlo)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 567
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 10:18 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm thinking I should try looking into Anita Baker too.

Carlo (carlo)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 568
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 10:20 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol. That's so crazy...we posted at the same time about Anita Baker! :-) Thanks abfan! I've seen your screen name on this board before, but it never occurred to me you call yourself "abfan" for Anita Baker. I will definitely have to pick up one of her hits CD's. I've been wanting to get one for years and never got around to it.

(Message edited by Carlo on January 25, 2009)

Carlo (carlo)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 569
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 10:38 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While looking up Anita Baker, under a similar artists category I found "Angela Bofill". I'll have to look into her music as well. I've heard/read about her before, as I remember the Soul Music store reissued a couple of her albums and she has been recovering from some strokes. Does anyone know how she's doing?

Carlo (carlo)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 570
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 10:52 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...I should get some Luther Vandross too.

DTURNER@GRUDETROIT.USCG. (peanut757)
6-Zenith
Username: peanut757

Post Number: 1288
Posted From: 68.10.127.155
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 10:54 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just purchased a Jazz CD by Sam Cooke today from Barnes & Nobles. Its Called Sam Cooke: The Rhythm and The Blues. It aint nothin but the TRUTH!!!!! TRUST ME!!!!! its a whole new side to Sam Cooke that I've never seen before..All i ever knew was his Soul and Gospel..but I HIGHLY recommend it.

Carlo (carlo)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 571
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 11:07 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mr. Turner. I will have to look into Sam Cooke as well. The closest I've ever come to his music is The Supremes' LP "We Remember Sam Cooke". There are so many great artists out there, but not enough $$$ for them all, lol. I dream of having a complete music collection someday, but I've learned that there's no such thing :-).

1wicked (1wicked)
6-Zenith
Username: 1wicked

Post Number: 2069
Posted From: 70.1.96.21
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 11:08 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would also recommend the very under-appreciated Marilyn Scott. There are several websites where you can take a listen to various songs of hers.

Dianne Reeves and Dee Dee Bridgewater would also fit the bill in terms of vocalists.

If you'd also like to check out some instrumentalists, I'd recommend Bob James, Dave Grusin, Hiroshima, Kevin Toney, Wilbert Longmire (Tappan Zee label), Ahmad Jamal, Joe Sample, and any of several "albums" by The Crusaders.

jillfoster (jillfoster)
6-Zenith
Username: jillfoster

Post Number: 1241
Posted From: 65.54.154.42
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 2:14 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honey....
Nancy Wilson
Della Reese
Lena Horne

Ms. M (ms_m)
6-Zenith
Username: ms_m

Post Number: 8622
Posted From: 70.144.158.206
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 3:22 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.smoothjazz.com for all you smooth jazz needs. Enjoy

BTW Carlo and I hate to be nit picky but Vanessa and Luther and all that stuff that has been thrown in over the years really isn't legit smooth jazz. Back in the day, instrumentals were the corner stone of smooth jazz but things changed and they needed to try and compete with other stations.

A lot of people see the genre as a bastard child but I embraced it from day one. To me it was a natural extension of fusion. Sadly many stations have closed up shop.

In addition to the link above, you can also investigate 365 Radio, they have some nice stations for what you're interested in although the better ones are the premium stations. (you pay for premium)

(Message edited by Ms._M on January 26, 2009)

mike s (mike_s)
6-Zenith
Username: mike_s

Post Number: 1411
Posted From: 195.93.21.9
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 6:21 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're looking for something away from what I would call the blander side of smooth jazz, try Norman Brown, Doc Powell, Everett harp, Art Porter, Ronnie Laws, Gerald Albright and Alex Bugnon.

No Place Like Motown (no_place_like_motown)
6-Zenith
Username: no_place_like_motown

Post Number: 679
Posted From: 66.65.70.195
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 7:38 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carlo:

Also check out Jon Lucien, Lonnie Liston-Smith, Bob James, Norman Connors, Dee Dee Bridgewater, Hubert Laws, Dianne Reeves, Sarah Vaughan (check out her 80's LP, "Brazilian Romance"), Diane Schurr, Pete Belasco, and Trish Hatley (smooth jazz artist; CD released in 2007).

tresjolie (tresjolie)
6-Zenith
Username: tresjolie

Post Number: 4396
Posted From: 64.61.70.130
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 11:42 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carlo - You can try some Stanley Jordan.

sg (thelastsupreme)
4-Laureate
Username: thelastsupreme

Post Number: 99
Posted From: 207.200.116.68
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 1:39 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thejazznetwork.ning.com/

Kevin Goins - KevGo (kevgo)
6-Zenith
Username: kevgo

Post Number: 4390
Posted From: 205.213.240.8
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 2:18 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carlo:
If you can track down any CD released by GRP Records between 1986 and 1998, that would be my recommendation. Dave Grusin & Larry Rosen had several acts & they released so many discs that are considered smooth jazz, the label damn near became the format's poster child. Tom Scott, Lee Ritenour, Phil Perry, David Benoit, the New York Voices (my college buddies!) and Dave Valentin all recorded for GRP.

Grusin & Rosen also produced Jon Lucien's albums "Rashida" & "Song For My Lady" - tracks from these albums have been reissued on a CD anthology years ago.

Good luck & happy listening.

Kevin Goins - KevGo

Nish (nish)
6-Zenith
Username: nish

Post Number: 2490
Posted From: 199.43.48.131
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 2:52 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for hipping everyone to Jaijai's Jazz Network, Susaye!! Jaijai is creating quite a tight-knit eclectic community of true school jazz musicians and aficionados.

sg (thelastsupreme)
4-Laureate
Username: thelastsupreme

Post Number: 100
Posted From: 207.200.116.68
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 8:15 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Nish, and it's my pleasure; It's a pretty amazing place for musicians to both showcase and network. Much respect is given to JaiJai for seeing the need.
I've met and heard so many fantastic artists recently and I've only been there a few days.
All the best to you, Nish!

Carlo (carlo)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 573
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 9:02 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you everybody for your help. :-) There are so many artists for me to explore from the lists you provided, I'm sure I'll be able to find some really great music, more than I can handle, lol. Thank you Susaye for the link to the Jazz Network. I hope you're doing well.

Now I have a question for abfan. I was looking up Anita Baker on You Tube and I found this beautiful cover she does of "Somewhere" with Dave Koz...is this version available on any of her albums? I think the only thing I came across was a special CD-single promo.

Carlo (carlo)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 574
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 9:12 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nevermind, I found it. It's from his album, "David Koz at the Movies":

http://rateyourmusic.com/relea se/album/dave_koz/at_the_movie s/

abfan (abfan)
6-Zenith
Username: abfan

Post Number: 2633
Posted From: 173.78.20.168
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 9:33 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No that is on Dave Koz CD you have listed above, here is a promo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =0v0W7EbvNsM

Nish (nish)
6-Zenith
Username: nish

Post Number: 2491
Posted From: 199.43.48.131
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 10:37 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hugs to you, Ms. SG!!! Thanks, I should probably shoot you a line soon!

mike s (mike_s)
6-Zenith
Username: mike_s

Post Number: 1416
Posted From: 195.93.21.9
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 7:01 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Place's posting reminded me of Norman Connors. Just played his This Is Your Life with the splendid Jean Carn.
Wow...what a song and beautifully realised. Pure class.

No Place Like Motown (no_place_like_motown)
6-Zenith
Username: no_place_like_motown

Post Number: 687
Posted From: 66.65.70.195
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 7:33 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike S:

"This Is Your Life" features Eleanore Mills on lead vocal. It's a stunning ballad. Jean sang lead on "Stella", another one of the tracks from Norman's "This Is Your Life" LP.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.