Soulful Detroit Archives - January 2009 VETS WALK OUT ON G CLINTON INAUGURAL CONCERT Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

Pshark (pshark)
6-Zenith
Username: pshark

Post Number: 1517
Posted From: 99.191.73.216
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 12:44 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Theres been a misunderstanding, the sign was meant for Clinton not Bush. Sir Nose has been waving that sign ever since the 90's, before Bush took office. This reporter has no clue. Read on:

Wounded vets walk out during inaugural ball concert

Inauguration Blog (View Blog)

POSTED January 21 2009 2:32 PM BY CARRIE SHEFFIELD

Print
Listen
Font Size
Ask a Question
You Report

An inaugural ball honoring U.S. military veterans ended in a kerfluffle as several veterans walked out when a musical act's attempt at humor backfired.

During the Heroes Red, White & Blue Inaugural Ball honoring the nation's veterans, a vocalist with George Clinton and the P. Funk All-Stars held up a white towel with large block letters saying "[Expletive] GEORGE," perturbing many audience members who walked out after the display, interpreting it as a jab at the outgoing commander-in-chief, George W. Bush.

A spokeswoman for the ball's organizers said the sign was inappropriate.

"Obviously we and the Heroes Ball coordinators were unaware that the sign existed and did not support their actions, especially considering our non-partisan mission and treasured military audience," said ball spokeswoman Carrie Foster.

But a spokesman for the band, the final act to perform, said the sign was intended to poke fun at their leader, who shares the same first name as Bush.

"George's guys always have always had a thing about the four-letter-word," said band spokesman Sandy Friedman. "It was directed to George Clinton. There was no last name, it was to George, the leader of the band."

Friedman said people had been walking out on various acts throughout the evening and that there was no noticeable mass exodus after the sign was unveiled. However, one fellow band member seemed to notice people walking out and quickly ripped the sign down.

The audience at the Warner Theater in downtown D.C. included wounded young veterans wearing slings, walking with canes and nursing other visible wounds. Some 300 military service men and women from Walter Reed Hospital and their families were invited. The sweat-pants and bandana sporting members of the funk band were in sharp contrast with the sparkling ball gowns, tuxedos and sharp military uniforms.

The towel incident was a hiccup in an otherwise smooth and glamorous evening. Guests on hand to thank the veterans included Larry King, Joint Chiefs of Staff Admiral Mike Mullen, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and USO President Elaine Rodgers.

-- Carrie Sheffield, Politics 101 blogger

http://washingtontimes.com/web logs/inauguration-blog/2009/Ja n/21/InauguralVets/

Pshark (pshark)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 1:51 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Charise (mistrivia1)
6-Zenith
Username: mistrivia1

Post Number: 4277
Posted From: 75.37.10.17
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 3:38 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whether it was meant for Clinton or Bush, it was very inappropriate. This was a ball for the Veterans, not a Parliameant-Funkadelic concert.

S.R. (fury13)
5-Doyen
Username: fury13

Post Number: 226
Posted From: 69.14.124.77
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 7:28 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And what in the hell is a "kerfluffle"? What language is that?

catwoman55 (catwoman55)
6-Zenith
Username: catwoman55

Post Number: 570
Posted From: 98.212.122.131
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 11:05 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Charise - this was inappropriate. Were they or were they not briefed on protocol in advance?

Cat

marybrewster (marybrewster)
6-Zenith
Username: marybrewster

Post Number: 1348
Posted From: 76.164.9.234
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 11:22 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Charise.

Timmy Funk (timmyfunk)
6-Zenith
Username: timmyfunk

Post Number: 1931
Posted From: 24.187.171.68
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 4:31 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Protocol? Were they briefed about how a P-Funk show runs? Obviously not. I think both parties needed a little schooling. Anyone familiar with a contemporary P-Funk knows that they aren't dissing Bush(not that it's a bad thing). I think that people are getting bent out of shape over basically nothing.

Kevin Goins - KevGo (kevgo)
6-Zenith
Username: kevgo

Post Number: 4379
Posted From: 205.213.240.8
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 4:36 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hooo-boy...talk about one nation NOT being under a groove....

I do agree with both points - the expletive wasn't necessary but at the same time there is freedom of speech here in the USA (kinda reminds me of what the P-Funkers once said, "THINK! THINK! - IT AIN'T ILLEGAL YET!").

Ah,well.....time to get back on the good foot...

Kevin Goins - KevGo

Pshark (pshark)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 1520
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 5:29 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK so that word might not be appropriate. But this reporter is a bonehead. Do your homework before making false accusations. The vets been through hell in wars, so why would that word bother them? Why didn't this reporter mention this: "This is an honor," Peanut of George Clinton's entourage said. "We don't say it enough. We don't say 'thank you' enough.""?
Its OK for Ted Nugent to tell Obama & Hillary
to suck his machine gun in his concert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPMslg98r9M&eurl=http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=ted%20nugent%20suck%20my%20machine&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL
Would a Black artist get away with this if the subject was Bush? And for Bush to make a joke about the weapons of mass destruction: http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=bush+jokes+about+weapons+of+mass&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS261US262&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv&oi=property_suggestions&resnum=0&ct=property-revision&cd=1#
And the above pic was taken at the ball. Does this look like they were dressed like bums.

Wonder B (wonder_b)
6-Zenith
Username: wonder_b

Post Number: 1873
Posted From: 86.192.8.229
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 10:26 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find this hilarious. What were they doing at a P-Funk concert anyway if they don't know that this happens to EVERY show they've done for the past 18 years!!!!!
That journalist is an ***hole (pardon my french - which is justified since I am in baguette-land LOL) - period!
People get too easily offended these days.
Talk about real problems...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.