Soulful DetroitArchives - January 2009 � Choose Your Greatest UNSUNG Ballads Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

Juicefree20 (juicefree20)
6-Zenith
Username: juicefree20

Post Number: 11960
Posted From: 24.47.225.121
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 6:21 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While reading Deborah Lynn's "Greatest Love Songs" thread, I began thinking of ballads, which while great, truly flew under the radar, or whose impact has been dulled by the passage of time.

Please understand that this is not a list of your favorite Top 40 Hits that everyone including my grandmother knows about. This thread is about the ballads that while many of us have known & loved for years, the vast majority of the public simply doesn't speak of them with the reverence that we do.

Though I'd prefer to speak of the non-charters, as many charting songs receive precious little attention, this list isn't limited to obscure or non-charting songs. For example, "My Girl" doesn't apply, "My Baby Loves Me" doesn't apply. On the other hand, a non-charter such as "Ready Made Family" definitely applies, as would charters such as Donnie Elbert's "Can't Get Over Losing You" & Eddie Holman's "This Can't Be True".

Another caveat...this list isn't limited to just love songs, as there were a lot of beautiful ballads that aren't exactly 'love' songs. The only requirement is that you believe that the song is beautiful.

As such, my first few entries are the 3 which I named above, along with the following...

J.R. Bailey - "All Strung Out Over You"
If you don't know why, then you'd better ask somebody! This ballad is from J.R.'s 1974 LP "Just You & Me" & how this song failed to really hit big, is a mystery to me, as is why it's so rarely played or mentioned anywhere.

Think of Marvin Gaye circa 1973/'74 & the Doo-Wop informed harmonies that he employed on those gorgeous ballads or on "The Bells" & you've got this record nailed!

This is a beautiful song & it deserves far more attention than it currently receives.

Another note about J.R. Rarely mentioned is the fact that he was one of the co-writers of "Let Me Prove My Love To You", the music of which received a tremendous second go-round as the foundation of "You Don't Know My Name". Sadly, J.R. had passed away 23 years before Alicia Keys took this song to the top in 2003. I find it fitting that Alicia used Ray, Goodman & Brown as her backing singers for this song. Given their harmonies & nod to the pristine harmonies of the glory days, I take it as a nod to J.R. & his days with The Cadillacs.

Simply said, this is a great song & is a classic, POINT BLANK!

Adding to my list...

J.R. Bailey - "Love, Love, Love"
The Attractions - "Find Me"

And as always...

Donnie Elbert - "Can't Get Over Losing You"

Going down to Memphis, I'll add Otis' protege

Johnny Daye - "Stay, Baby Stay"

Be back with more!

Chi Drummer (chidrummer)
6-Zenith
Username: chidrummer

Post Number: 3067
Posted From: 24.14.52.164
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 8:53 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I Want to Do - Twentynine w/Lenny White (1981)

a great ballad nobody's heard.

The album it was on, Just Like Dreamin' was just released on CD last year. Maybe it might be heard sometime.

...and wouldn't you know it. The song turns up on that great bulletin board on the web, YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =XBaAasDKUdg

listen.

the classic master (the_classic_master)
6-Zenith
Username: the_classic_master

Post Number: 1266
Posted From: 208.255.83.2
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 9:19 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

juice, you're definitely my soul brother from brooklyn. i was just playing jr's song today about 10 times, i just got hip to that song last week.
david ruffin - let somebody love me (brings tears to the eyes
i want you back - don julian & the larks
nothing but promises - chubby & the turnpikes(u may know them as tavares)
the party's over - bobby nunn
the dawn of a new day - the unifics
you never loved me - barabra mason
let me in your life - bill withers
when love is new - billy paul(billy at his best)
in between the heartaches - dionne warwick

bobby gardner (supremeross)
6-Zenith
Username: supremeross

Post Number: 428
Posted From: 24.126.142.250
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:20 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can I - Brenda Holloway

6-Zenith

Post Number: 11968
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:44 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's up C.M.?

Happy New Year Brother!

I knew that I could count on you to come up with a few & yes, that J.R. Bailey is TOUGH!!!

Good stuff there & I'm going to add a few more to the fire...

Ripple - "The Facts Of Life"

This B-Side of the "The Beat Goes On" is slamming!!!

How about these...

The Philly Devotions - "I'll Never Color Your Rainbow"

Dee Harvey - "Leave Well Enough Alone"
Rhonda Clark - "Stay Here, Stay Near"
Johnny & the Expressions - "Something I Want To Tell You"
The Soul Train Gang - "Searching For Another Love"
Chic - "At Last I Am Free" & "Falling In Love With You"
Lakeside - "Say Yes"
Starpoint - "This Is So Right"
Change - Say You Love Me Again
Vesta - "You Make Me Want To Love Again"

Kev-Lo (7273747576)
6-Zenith
Username: 7273747576

Post Number: 2594
Posted From: 96.232.56.245
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:47 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi this is Kev-Lo

Surrender - Toppiks
Gotta Get Away - Billy And The BloodKnots
One Heart - Emanons
Think About Me - The Flamingos
Seeing Is Believing - George Kerr
Confessing A Feeling - Tony Owens
Say Yes - The Enkays

T.L. Harris (tl_harris)
6-Zenith
Username: tl_harris

Post Number: 457
Posted From: 76.199.123.89
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:51 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Time After Time- Johnnie Taylor

T.L. Harris

daddyacey (daddyacey)
6-Zenith
Username: daddyacey

Post Number: 1912
Posted From: 205.188.116.18
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 12:14 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Three Minutes to Hey Girl-- George Kerr
Dear John---The Dixie Drifter
What's A Matter Is It Hurting You?-LJ Reynolds & Chocolate Syrup

So In Love With You- Leroy Hutson
You're The Reason--D Train
Love Illogical--Skyy
Angel Of Love--Hidden Strength
Can't We Just Sit Down (And Talk It Over)-Donna Summer
I'm Not In Love--Dee Dee Sharp Gamble

ladyvanaye (ladyvanaye)
6-Zenith
Username: ladyvanaye

Post Number: 6343
Posted From: 24.44.235.63
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:08 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baby You Lied - Eloise Laws
Making Love - Herbie Hancock
Private World - Side Effect
Baby Let Me Do It - Unlimited Touch
Funny Guy-Funny Girl - Major Harris / Marjorie Joseph
As Long As Hold You - Ashford and Simpson

More later :-)
Dyva

Walt B (walt_b)
5-Doyen
Username: walt_b

Post Number: 303
Posted From: 76.241.149.13
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:31 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladyvanaye, I was just thinking of Side Effect! Different song though... "Watching Life." Whenever I play this song at work I get bum rushed with "Who is that?"

Walt B (walt_b)
5-Doyen
Username: walt_b

Post Number: 304
Posted From: 76.241.149.13
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:33 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladyvanaye, I was just thinking of Side Effect! Different song though... "Watching Life." Whenever I play this song at work I get bum rushed with "Who is that?" One of best examples I've ever heard of first tenor perfection! It's on Side Effect's Greatest Hits on Fantasy!

daddyacey (daddyacey)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 1916
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 1:49 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladyvanaye,
Creed ,Goldstein ,Page and Ms Laws created a MONSTER lp back in 77. I'd have to say that whole Lp goes on this list. (ELOISE)

also;;;

Stay--- The Aleems w Leroy Burgess

Fall In Love Lady Love--The Dramatics

I'd Rather Be By Myself-- David Ebo

I Worship The Ground Very Ground You Walk On--
Faith ,Hope & Charity

This Little Woman-- First Choice

Let Him GO-- First Choice

I Won't Leave You Honey Never--Archie Bell & Drells

Lets Make A Baby-- Billy Paul

Rising Cost Of Love-- Jean Terrell

more later........

(Message edited by daddyacey on January 17, 2009)

kamasu (kamasu)
6-Zenith
Username: kamasu

Post Number: 6723
Posted From: 65.54.97.188
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 1:50 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm Calling You - Phil Perry & the Montclairs

Vibrations - Erik & the Vikings

Like An Open Door - Fuzz

Let's Stick Together - Tempos

Robb_K (robb_k)
6-Zenith
Username: robb_k

Post Number: 9663
Posted From: 66.81.122.97
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 2:43 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's Get Married-James Conwell
Never Let Me Go-Serenaders
I Miss You So-Orioles
Dear One-Scarlets
I Worry 'Bout You-Arthur Prysock
You-Jive Five
I'm Yours-Flamingos
A House Is Not A Home-Dionne Warwick
What Do I See In The Girl-Freddie Scott
It's Been So Long-Leaping Flame
I Wish You Love-Gloria Lynne

JAI NANCE (rhythm66)
6-Zenith
Username: rhythm66

Post Number: 5661
Posted From: 138.238.41.26
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 2:47 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WHAT IS LIFE-THE SOFTONES..MY LOVE FOR YOU-THE MIRACLES..LET ME IN YOUR LIFE-BILL WITHERS..COTTAGE FOR SALE[JAMES BROWN'S RENDITION]..ANY OLD TIME OF THE DAY-DIONNE WARWICK!

6-Zenith

Post Number: 11973
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 3:19 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And going back to Memphis, I have to acknowledge a few more...

The Mad Lads - "Don't Have To Shop Around" & "I Want A Girl"

The Newcomers - "Too Little In Common To Be Lovers (Too Much Going On To Say Goodbye)"

- This song was so great, that the entire foundation was ripped off & used as the base for Aaliyah's "I Care For You"

I'll also add the message song, "Mannish Boy"

The Temprees - "I'm For you, You For Me"

And coming back east...

Crown Heights Affair - "Picture Show"
Brass Construction - "Sweet As Sugar"
The Whatnauts - "Let Me Be That Special One"
- Beautiful & criminally forgotten ballad. This song is silky-smooth!

Taking a trip to Chi-Town...

The Chi-Lites - "Take A Trip To The Islands" & "Ain't Too Much Of Nothin'"

- "Take A Trip To The Islands" from their "Half-A-Love" LP is one of the rarely mention gems of their catalog. This is one smooth baby right here & the harmonizing of the line "Coooool...cleeeeear...water", is a little slice of bliss. This is a beautiful song & Eugene sings this one so sweetly, that you can close your eyes & imagine clear blue skies & island girls in bathing suits, looking like Jayne Kennedy & Pam Grier, as far as the eye can see & a cool tropical breeze caressing your cheeks...

ALL FOUR OF THEM :-)

This is a beautiful song & the beat reminds me of the intro of "Mercy Mercy Me", with a little taste of a shuffle.

Barbara Acklin - "Come And See Me Baby"
- This is a wonderful ballad, with some great harmonizing by The Chi-Lites in the background.

Otis Leavill - "I Need You"
- This flip side of hit hit "I Love You" is one of my favorite ballads of all-time!. Forlorn as all hell, you can feel Otis' pain, as he flips the script & rather than singing in the tenor that informs his Northern Soul hits, he employs a falsetto which was more associated with Eugene Record. Either way, this is one great performance & the arrangement is heaven!

The Voices Of East Harlem - "Giving Love"
- I don't care how many people know this song, the fact is that not enough people seem to remember this one & that's a damn shame! This song is damn near perfection!

Terry Huff - "The Lonely One" & "Why Doesn't Love Last"
- If you want to know from heartache, then you really need to study at the "Terry Huff School Of Pain"! Terry sings these 2 ballads of lost love as though he's going to go mad! The pain in his voice is evident, as he sounds as though his voice is going to shred itself from his efforts. This is some serious pain happening here & I'd advise you not to listen to this song alone after a few drinks following a break-up.

Bobby hill - "The Children"
-This late '69 ballad sounds like Nickie Lee meets Donny Hathaway. Lord knows that this is one beautifully constructed song. The arrangement is wonderful & that gospelized background harmony would make you wanna slap your mama, in order to hasten your trip to the heavens. This is a beautiful song & if you've been fortunate enough to hear this song, then you know what I mean.

Going up to Detroit, I'll pick...

The Dramatics - "Be My Girl" & "I Can't Get Over You"

-Now these 2 are very personal for me, as these were part of the soundtrack of when i fell in love for the very first time. Though these songs are knopwn, the truth is that they don't receive anywhere near the attention or acclaim that they so richly deserve.

And neither does "Ocean Of Thoughts & Dreams", which is beautiful as well.

Seeing how Valentine's Day approaches, I have to choose...

Michael Henderson - "Valentine Love"
- If this song isn't romantic as hell, then I'll eat my copy of his "Solid" LP! This is a gorgeous song which used to get play around valentine's Day, but these days, not even then. Another song from the year that Juice fell in love for the very first time. 1977...

It was a VERY GOOD YEEEEEEEEEEAR :-)

And since I'm speaking of Michael Henderson (and y'all can dig it!), I have to also choose...

"Let Me Love You" AND
Michael & Phyllis - "We Both Need Each Other"
AND
Michael & Roberta Flack - "At The Concert"

And since I said Phyllis Hyman, there's...
"No One Can Love You More"

A brother like me also has just gotten a flashback to 1979 when Stephanie released her "What'cha Gonna Do" LP, when some over-zealous fans bum-rushed The Wiz on Jamaica Avenue & what was then New York Blvd, necessitating EMS deceiving the crowd & removing Stephanie on a stretcher. I had just met the woman who would become the mother of my son & my wife & we were bugging at the scene. So, I must acknowledge...

"You And I", "Starlight" & what has to be one of the most popular & one of the greatest songs ever relegated to LP cut status...

"Feel The Fire"! Bow those heads! Pay respect dammit!

Ok, you may stop bowing now :-)

Of course, WE ALL (and I emphasize WE ALL, for obvious reasons) know this next song & though this song is HUGE within our community, this song is one of the greatest "lost love" ballads ever! So even though WE know this song, the sad reality is that far too few in the mainstream know this song. Another factor in this is that coming along in the Disco era, it was never even released as a single. Proving how ignorant even I was, it wasn't until a few of you here pointed out that this was a remake of a song that this man made a few years earlier when on Motown. So, if by now I haven't given it away, I submit to you...

Lenny Williams - "Cause I Love You"

And Steve Harvey's special notwithstanding, not enough people know about this song & I'd hate to be caught on a lonely island with Terry Huff, Donny Elbert, Otis Leavill & Lenny Williams singing about lost love!!!

I'd have to slit my wrists or overdose on coconut milk in order to escape the pain!!!

Be back with more later!

6-Zenith

Post Number: 1269
Posted From: 173.68.46.164
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 8:47 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when i find you love - jean carne
is that loving in your heart - the lovelites
each day i cry a little - eddie kendricks
i'd give my life for you - marvin gaye
when will my time come - the vibrations
i'm the one/ a singer of songs/ it's a great day - the whispers (i can list about 10 more from this group)
try me - the whatnauts
at the crossroads - the notations
we belong together - the webs

Mark Speck (mark_speck)
6-Zenith
Username: mark_speck

Post Number: 5403
Posted From: 75.185.188.241
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 9:09 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Here's a Heart"--Diplomats
"The Echo"--Epsilons
"I Need You"--Chuck Jackson
"I Really Love You"--Ambassadors
"Can't Get Over You"--Gap Band

Best,

Mark

vjg (vjg)
3-Pundit
Username: vjg

Post Number: 45
Posted From: 71.59.93.107
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 11:58 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Juice, great thread!

Soul Train Gang/"If It Takes All Night"

Passion/"The Spell is Gone" A very rare 45 on York Label.

Blue Magic/"Guess Who" This cut was the first single for Blue Magic.

The Gentlemen From NYC/"You're My Lady"

Keith Barrows/"Teach Me" A remake of Blue Magic's cut.

Tomorrows Promise/"You're Sweet You're Fine You're Everything" and "He Don't Love You Like I do"

Klas/"I Destroyed Your Love"

6-Zenith

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 1:07 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

give it up - top shelf
talk to me sometime - the village soul choir
that's how strong my love is - candi staton

splanky (splanky)
6-Zenith
Username: splanky

Post Number: 2374
Posted From: 72.89.117.233
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 6:18 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dang, I'm going to have to look up quite a few of those tunes. I see cuts I've never heard before. I have to add:
Oh My Angel- Bertha Tilman
As In I Love You -Bootsy's Rubber Band and
A Goodbye- Cameo.

No Place Like Motown (no_place_like_motown)
6-Zenith
Username: no_place_like_motown

Post Number: 640
Posted From: 64.12.116.18
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 7:23 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love Had Come To Stay/Barbara Acklin
I've always had a soft spot for Barbara's ballads. She wrote many great songs with Eugene Record. A talent who gave us much more than "Love Makes A Woman".

You Never Loved Me (At All)/Barbara Mason
No one cuts ballads like the sultry Barbara Mason!

There'll Come A Time/Betty Everett
Popular but still an underrated gem by the late Ms. Everett.

I'm In Love (Oh Yes I Am)/Billy Stewart
One of his last singles and one of his best.

The Touch Of You & That's The Price You Have To Pay/Brenda & The Tabulations
Two great slow jams; the majority of Brenda's recordings were top notch.

I've Fallen In Love With You/Carla Thomas
The Memphis Queen in top form backed with some great harmonies

Let's Prove Them Wrong/Debbie Taylor
Another belter who's grossly underrated

Somebody Loves You/Delfonics
Philly soul ballad by the masters of the slow jam!

When Tomorrow Comes/The Emotions
They cut some of their best work at the legendary Stax label; this song being one of many

By The Time I Get To Phoenix & I Just Don't Need You At All/Erma Franklin
BTTIGTP was covered by a slew of male artists but there aren't many female versions out there making this a standout for me. Erma IMO had just as much vocal talent as her sister!

Sad, Sad Story; Not Enough Love; Farwell/The Ethics.
Great ballads with the talented lead voice of Ron Tyson.

Baby Make Me Feel So Good/Five Stairsteps
Love these guys!

Jealous Kind Of Fellow/Garland Green
Another popular but underrated classic

No One Else/Holly Maxwell
Excellent ballad Curtis Mayfield style by the Chicago songstress

I'll Be There/Honey & The Bees
Great Philly ballad recorded at Sigma Sound Studios

That's All Over Baby/Jones Brothers
Some of the best sweet soul topped with some swirling strings

This Love (That I'm Giving)/Love Potion
Female harmony at it's best. A beaut!

It's Gonna Take A Lot (To Bring Me Back)/Manhattans
Great slow jam. This one reminds me of the O'Jays and Linda Jones.

You're The Best Thing Since Candy/O'Jays
These guys can do no wrong in my book!

The Love That A Woman Should Give To A Man/Patti Drew
No doubt one of her best

I Guess I'll Never Understand/Ronnie Walker
Another early Philly ballad recorded at Sigma

The Sweeter He Is/Soul Children.
One of my favorite Southern Soul ballads

Let's Play House/Tony Drake
This guy should have been huge; great, great slow jam

It's A Great Day/Whispers
One of many great tunes they did at Soul Clock

Girls/Younghearts
Another underrated group with a great catalog of songs.

vjg (vjg)
3-Pundit

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:11 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You Guys are Good! Great Picks!

"Heaven Only Knows" (Sweet cut)and "Salin"/Soul Generation

"Make it last"/The Vibrations

"Risin"/Smoke

"I Love You Secretly" and "You Need A Miracle"/The Miracles

MzO (mzo)
2-Debutant
Username: mzo

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 64.12.116.18
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:47 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Extremely Great Picks!

Ice Melts Into Rain - D-Train
Mirage - Tag Along
Soul Generation - Yesterday's Memories
Magnum Force - Say I Do
Blue Magic - Guess Who

Mark Speck (mark_speck)
6-Zenith
Username: mark_speck

Post Number: 5419
Posted From: 75.185.188.241
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 3:58 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When You Look At Me"--Barbara Mason

Best,

Mark

WANDAful (wandaful)
3-Pundit
Username: wandaful

Post Number: 55
Posted From: 82.42.128.103
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 4:23 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How Can I Get Over a Fox Like You - The Icemen

My Babys Loving My Best Friend - Betty Everett

I Betcha Didn't Know That - Frederick Knight

Nish (nish)
6-Zenith
Username: nish

Post Number: 2488
Posted From: 216.153.184.239
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 4:44 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The entire J.R. Bailey "Just Me N' You" album can set a love scene.

I delight in ballads -

The Same Thing In Mind - Natural Four
Why Should We Stop Now - N4
Heaven Right Here On Earth - N4
Great Day - Whispers
Much Better Off - Miracles
Jealous Over Love - James Dee
So In Love With You - Brief Encounter
How Can I Get Over A Fox Like You - The Icemen
I Can't Tell A Lie - The Gaslight
Better Not Live Outside Your Heart - Energy
This Must Be Love - Solid Solution
How Can I Put Out The Flame - Candi Staton

6-Zenith

Post Number: 11984
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 7:58 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice picks folks. More than a few of your selections are songs which I've never heard before.

NPLM:

Thanks a lot for taking "When Tomorrow Comes". I've always loved that B-side!

Now, I have to add the following...

The Younghearts: "Do You Have The Time"
- I caught on to this jam in late '73/early '74 & I've always loved this song. This was one of those message songs of the era & I've always loved it. I'm happy to know that this song has also caught on with the Hip-Hop generation & they've embraced it, going so far as to reissue an edited version of it, extending the intro. Which leads directly to...

The Younghearts - "Wildfire" & "I Said To Myself"
-"Wildfire" features some great harmonizing, especially on the lyrics which lead into the chorus. This is a smooth song, for sure! Even better than "Wildfire" is the melancholy "I Said To Myself". This song is about a man who's just as lonely as Lenny Williams & Terry Huff were in their classic tear-jerkers. The primary difference being that a softer, less intense touch is used in this song. If you haven't heard the "Do you Have The Time" LP, please do yourself a favor & check it out. If I'm not mistaken, it's been re-issued. And for my money, it's a bit better than "A Taste Of The "Younghearts".

These guys made some classic ballads & I wish that they'd release their Minit LPs, because i damn sure am not going to pay the type of grip that is being asked for, that is, when you can find either LP.

Juice ain't rich!

6-Zenith

Post Number: 11985
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 8:10 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And by the way, since folks want to be talking about 'D-Train' up in here, then I'm going to get rough & go nuclear & add...

'D-Train' & Audrey Wheeler - "Oh How I Love You Girl'
-I don't even have to qualify this one at all. If you don't know, now you know.

Now I'm going to play be mean & play very unfair with this next choice. A few years ago, i met a gentleman from New Jersey who gave me his CD. I don't know if it's been widely released. When I last spoke with him a year or 2 ago, he mentioned that it was being re-edited for a new release. Nevertheless, the song that I'm about to mention is a BAD AZZ BALLAD.

The gentleman's name is Wayne Parham & the song is named "I Can Feel It". I loved this song from the first time that I played it & I still love it today. I really need to figure out a way to become an internet radio DJ or something, because songs such as this one really deserve to be heard. I suggest that you go to CD baby & see if by some chance the CD is there & try to hear a snippet of it. Again, the song is "I Can Feel It", the artist is Wayne Parham & the name of the CD is "Heart To Heart". The CD also contains another pretty nice ballad named "Airborne" which was written by Ted Mills.

6-Zenith

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 8:54 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we can make it baby - the originals(don't let some sweet talking guy with his bread turn your head)one of my all time favorite lines
thank you for your love - the dramatics
have a little mercy - the fantastic 4
something's missing - bloodstone
take the time to tell her - jerry butler
just because i really love you- jerry butler(one of my top 5 favorite b sides)
i love u more than words can say - otis redding
then i met you -the supremes(ok supremes fans, u actually have one unsung gem)LOL.
you can tell - eddie holman
(they long to be) close to you - bobby womack(the poet really spit the truth on this joint)but you're not commercial, commercial.
to be a lover - gene chandler (need i say more?)
love is missing from our lives - the dells & the dramatics(how can u put 2 of the most underrated groups together and still can't get a hit?)
the shadow of your smile - the delfonics(who does it better than the kings of sexy soul and the thank u at the end is priceless!)

(Message edited by the classic master on January 18, 2009)

(Message edited by the classic master on January 19, 2009)

GEETEE(HPK) (geeteehpk)
6-Zenith
Username: geeteehpk

Post Number: 2697
Posted From: 155.181.152.2
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:55 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How Does It Feel - Bloodstone
Make Me Twice The Man - The Notations
Little Boy Blue - The Five Stairsteps
Make A Smile For Me -Billy Withers
I'm The One That You Need - The Lovelites
I'm So Happy - Jackson 5
Together Forever - Syl Johnson
Who Do You Love - Keni Burke
I Keep Coming Back - Tyrone Davis
I Still Love You - Windy City
Can You Love A Poor Boy - Smokey & the Miracles

vjg (vjg)
3-Pundit

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 12:34 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone has great picks!

I have to do some homework, because a couple of you taking me to school with your picks!

The Moments/"So This Is Our Goodbye"

Th Moments/"When I Get There"

The Chi-Lites/"Stone Out Of My Mind"

The Ethics/"That's The Way Love Goes"

Black Ivory/"Will We Ever Come Together Love"

The Continental IV/"I Don't Have You"

Chocolate Syrup/"All I Ever Do Is Dream About You"

Masterpiece/"The Girls Alright With Me"

Kevin Goins - KevGo (kevgo)
6-Zenith
Username: kevgo

Post Number: 4369
Posted From: 69.4.123.31
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 1:20 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hoookay, Juice....I should send you the photo I have of the Chi-Lites' master tape boxes for their "Half A Love" & "Toby" albums just to see if you salivate!!!

Now...for my list...

CHOCOLATE SYRUP - STOP YOUR CRYIN' (Okay...so not exactly the most romantic ballad on the plate but if & when I'm dealing with one of those dates who loves drama a bit too much, this is for them!!!)

THE ETHICS - THINK ABOUT TOMORROW (Early Ron Tyson & company...dang, don't it sound nice!)

BLACK IVORY - YOU & I, DON'T TURN AROUND, SHE SAID SHE'S LEAVIN', I'LL FIND A WAY (hell...ANY ballad from their DON'T TURN AROUND album!)

MAIN INGREDIENT - SPINNING AROUND (I MUST BE FALLING IN LOVE) The late Donald McPherson at his best on lead vocal as well as his songwriting skills

BEN E. KING - WHERE'S THE GIRL (Felix Hernandez would play this on the Rhythm Revue...should've been a hit..)

DEE DEE SHARP - I REALLY LOVE YOU (apologies to the Ambassadors but let's face it, Dee Dee's original had it goin' on)

FIVE STAIRSTEPS - WORLD OF FANTASY (This record had the words TOP TEN written all over it - peaked at #12 R&B/#59 pop....)

THE COURTSHIP - IT'S THE SAME OLD LOVE (Philly soul floater arranged by Thom Bell from Jerry Ross' production company. I'm sorry but this should have been released on Atlantic or Philadelphia International, where it would've had a better chance at success - IMHO)

WALTER JACKSON - SPEAK HER NAME(Hell, gimmie any ballad by Walter Jackson & I'm good....He really deserved better promotion from Okeh/Epic in the 1960s...At least he had bigger hits when he recorded for Carl Davis' Chi-Sound Records)

MAGNIFICENT MEN - PEACE OF MIND (These dudes scared the dickens out of a young Daryl Hall & his group the Temptones in Philly's Battle of the Bands....People didn't believe the Mag Men were white but who cares!!! This should've been a bigger smash....If only Capitol Records launched their R&B music division in 1966 instead of 1973!!!)

TAVARES - CHECK IT OUT (Dang...doesn't this get any airplay anymore?!? These brothers did make you dance but c'mon now...their ballads were no joke!)

JACKSON 5 - SHE'S GOOD/I'M SO HAPPY/I FOUND THAT GIRL (See a pattern here? Jermaine sang lead on some fierce slow jams in the early 1970s...At least Motown put these tunes on the b-sides of the singles...which leads to....)

JACKSON 5 - MAYBE TOMORROW (the J-5's nod to Philly soul...as close to Thom Bell as they were gonna get outside of covering a Delfonics tune...all the way down to the drum roll & the sitar at the intro)

JACKSON 5 - CAN YOU REMEMBER (Again, the J-5's love affair with Philly soul from their first album...to think, they covered a Delfonics album track....the Jackson boys were listening very closely!!!)

DELFONICS - OVER & OVER, BABY I LOVE YOU (from their self-titled album....nice tunes that complimented the rest of the disc...should've been hits but at least the latter was the b-side to "Trying To Make A Fool Of Me")

TEDDY PENDERGRASS - YOU'RE MY LATEST, MY GREATEST INSPIRATION (And one of the Teddy Bear's finest ballads.....Lovely tune that I can put on repeat)

CHI-LITES - YOU GOT TO BE THE ONE (You got yours, Juice - I got mine!!! Give me their entire "Toby" album for a hot date and....well, let me not say - this is a family website!!)

FRIENDS OF DISTINCTION - LADY MAE (From their "Real Friends" disc. Nice slow tune that got lots of spins in the family household thanks to my brother Jim. Hell, he was even nice to let me have the album on an extended borrowing period....Hope he doesn't want it back...)

MANDRILL - LOVE SONG (Updated doo-wop ballad 1970s style from the masters of bone-crushing funk...Makes me wanna put together a mix tape of love songs....)

I'll stop here for now!

Kevin Goins - KevGo

No Place Like Motown (no_place_like_motown)
6-Zenith
Username: no_place_like_motown

Post Number: 641
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 8:09 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some more:

Just Like In The Movies/Ace Spectrum
Nice falsetto lead on this slammin' slow jam! Bloodstone and an unknown group called Caress also did fine versions of this song.

Let Me Be The One/Aquarian Dream
A nice version by AD; I don't think I've heard a bad version of this song

They Long To Be Close To You/B.T. Express
A bada** SJ version of the Carpenters classic

I Had A Love/Ben E. King
Great ballad from his Philly LP

If I Ever Do Wrong/Betty Wright
Another underrated classic

Tag Tag/Bill Brandon
Bill was best remembered for the disco cut, "You Got What It Takes." Here he demonstrates more of his vocal talent on this nice slow jam

Blind Over You/Black Ice
Mid-70's sweet soul

This Is It/Bloodstone
A lost hit for Bloodstone

Grateful/Blue Magic
Another great Philly ballad by BM

Never Gonna Give You Up/Bonnie Bramlett
Great Blue Eyed Soul version of the Jerry Butler/Shirelles song

Home To Myself/Brenda & The Tabulations
I love Brenda Payton. No Tabulations here - she's backed by the Sweethearts of Sigma on this Melissa Manchester cover. A heartfelt ballad!

Somebody Loves You/Bunny Sigler
I'm a Philly nut what can I say!

I Stand Alone/California Malibus
Love lead falsetto vocals. Stunning slow jam

Family Man/Caress
Another mid-70's sweet soul treat. Patrick Adams produced this giving it an early 70's Black Ivory flavor

Be Tender With My Love/Carl Graves
Real nice ballad from Graves' A&M LP

Just Feel (The Moment Is Real)/Carol Williams
*Gorgeous ballad cut at Sigma; Vince Montana production

I Can't Help Feeling Blue/Carolyn Franklin
*Nice ballad from her last RCA album. I'm sure this one made Aretha proud

Let Me Down Easy/Chapter One
More sweet soul with great harmonies

Happy Being Lonely/Chi-Lites
A lost hit! This should have been big for them

This Time It's For Real/Choice Four
My favorite ballad by the CF!

I'll Make Your Dreams Come True/The Chosen Few
Another great lead falsetto with beautiful harmonies

I'd Find You Anywhere/Creative Source
CS cut some great slow jams; nice female lead

Pick Me/Double Exposure
Another wonderful Philly ballad from their 1976 LP

I Get Carried Away/Dramatics
Another great ballad by the Dramatics

Try Some Love/Dynamic Superiors
*Nice LP ballad led by Tony Washington. Sylvester must have picked up some inspiration here since this one sounds similar to the ballads Sylvester cut shortly afterwards

Never Gonna Leave You/Eddie Kendricks
Yet, one more beautiful ballad cut at Philly by EK

Once You Fall In Love/Eddie McLoyd
Nice vocal with heavy orchestration. Another lost hit

Sunshine/Enchantment
Great sj by this Detroit group

Don't Fake It/First Choice
There's a recent thread on First Choice and the fine ballads they've done. This one deserves a mention as well

I Wasn't There; I'm Coming Back To You/First Class
Two lost sj's cut at Sylvia & Joe Robinson's All Platinum label.

Every Little Beat Of My Heart/Flashlight
Another Philly ballad!

You're Blowin' My Mind/Free Form Experience
Rare sweet soul from a little known R&B group

Sho' Nuff Must Be Love/Heatwave
Breathtaking ballad off their LP

Man And Woman/Impact
More Philly; I love Damon Harris' voice!

Let Me Down Easy/Isley Brothers
A gem by the Isleys

Good Times/Jacksons
Another dreamy ballad cut at Philly

You're My Love, My Life, My Soul/Jimmy Briscoe & The Beavers
Another underrated group who had some fine harmonies

Holiday/Leon Ware
This sounds like an Earth, Wind & Fire ballad

I Do, I Do (Wanna Make Love To You)/Leroy Hutson
This guy is so criminally underrated. His catalog of tunes is worth seeking out.

Never, Never Say Goodbye/Love Unlimited
Nice ballad off their Unlimited Gold LP

Let Me Prove My Love To You/Main Ingredient
Cuba Gooding sounds incredible on this ballad

It's Got To Be Magic/Major Harris
This one would have made a good follow-up to "Love Won't Let Me Wait"

It's Worth A Whippin'/Margie Alexander
Strong vocals by the little known Margie Alexander. This was released on Chi Sound and produced by two Chicago greats: Major Lance and Otis Leaville.

You And Me/Marlena Shaw
A beautiful ballad

I Want To Be With You (For The Rest Of My Life)/Martha Reeves
A great ballad from a great LP!

From Her Arms To Mine & I Can't Say Goodbye/Millie Jackson
I love me some ballads by Millie!

With You/Moments
Harry Ray and that beautiful voice he had. Enough said

He Who Laughs Last, Laughs The Best/Monday After
A Spinners styled ballad released on Buddah

How Have You Been/Natural Four
Nice ballad released on Curtom. Another underrated group

You Are The Spice Of My Life/Nia Johnson
Unknown female vocalist who reminds me of Margie Joseph. This was released on Mainstream Records

Love Jones/Norma Jenkins
Love Norma's voice. This is a blues styled ballad. The piano led introduction on this song is almost 3:00 long and just superb.

It Ain't Nothin' But A Love Thing/Peace, Love & Happiness
Not the same group known as Love, Peace & Happiness. No nothing about this group other than the lead vocalist sounds like David Peaston

I Need Love/Persuaders
Stunning. This song should have been a big hit

Isn't It A Dream Come True/Philly Devotions
Can't help it man but those Philly ballads are all that!

Just Look Into His Eyes/Retta Young
Beautiful LP ballad released on the All Platinum subsidiary, Stang.

I Can Testify That Good Things Come To Those Who Wait/Richmond Extension
Great Van McCoy-penned ballad

Bless My Soul/Skip Mahoney & The Casuals
This got a little airply on radio. I still can't believe this didn't become a hit.

Can't Hold Back No Longer/Sly, Slick & Wicked
Wonderful slow jam released on the Motown distributed Ju-par Records. There was some connection with Eddie Levert & Walter Williams; they wrote and produced a couple of songs on this LP.

We Gotta Get Our Thing Together/Soul Children
*Nice cover of the Dells' song. This was off their Epic LP.

Don't You Want To Fall In Love/Steptones
More sweet soul. This one was released on the Mainstream subsidiary, IX Chains.

Flipping A Coin/Street People
Philly-styled ballad

Just When Things Are Getting Good/Tata Vega
Another Philly-styled ballad off her first Motown/Tamla LP.

Wonderful/Tavares
It was wonderful indeed!

Don't Make Me Pay (For Another Girl's Mistake)/Thelma Houston
*Off her "Anyway You Like It" LP. I always thought it would've made a better follow-up to "Don't Leave Me This Way" instead of "If It's The Last Thing I Do."

Love Is Lovelier/Walter Jackson
This guy was one of a kind. One of many great ballads he's done

Living Together (In Sin)/Whispers
Last but not least, another Philly ballad by the great Whispers

(Message edited by No Place Like Motown on January 19, 2009)

daddyacey (daddyacey)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 1923
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 11:11 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I Have Come To Stay- The Smith Connection

I Am You Man-- Edwin Starr

The Second Time Around-- Luther Vandross
< The FIRST version ,taken from the Cotillion lp,
titled LUTHER. IMO the better of both versions>

Taking Away Your Space-- Two Tons Of Fun
<Martha and Izora tear up this Sylvester/Fuqua penned tune. Damn, them women can throw down.

Promise Me-- The Tramps
<The song ,The mix (both) and the vocals ....classic!!!!!

Closer Than Just Friends-- Surface

Friends No More-- The Intruders

Nightfall-- Stratavarious

Take A Little Time To Love--Voices Of East Harlem

I'm Needing You ,Wanting You-- Chuck Jackson

Since I Fell For You-- Laura Lee

Maybe -- The Three Degrees

Minutes Away--BBQ Band

If It Takes All Night-- Soul Train Gang

In Bed--- SOLO

(Message edited by daddyacey on January 19, 2009)

Destruction (destruction)
6-Zenith
Username: destruction

Post Number: 3644
Posted From: 68.55.77.192
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 10:11 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"In My Opinion" - Vandals

"Too Much Pride" and "Your Love" - Persians

"Anystreet" and "I'm Gonna Prove It" - Soft Tones

"You'd Better Go" - Derek Martin

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.