Soulful Detroit » Archives - January 2009 » Shirley Wahls « Previous Next »

Top of pageBottom of page

JSmith (jsmith)
6-Zenith
Username: jsmith

Post Number: 3347
Posted From: 195.93.21.9
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know Shirley was based out of Chicago (though not born there), but how did she come to have “Because I love you” leased to Calla (45 #141) late in 1967 -- a Bill Sheppard production.
She later had 45’s out on Smash, Blue Rock, Giant, Blue Candle & King (not in that order).
"Because I Love You" seems to be her most in demand outing though I much prefer more gentle cuts like "Why Am I Crying" & "Prove It Everyday".

I know she started out singing (& recording) gospel before progressing to singing demos for Chicago based producers.
Via Giant Productions she was signed by Mercury and had a number of 45's released between 1968 & the early 70's. She briefly became a member of Rotary Connection but then quit the world of secular music in 1972.
Has she made a return to recording gospel at all in the last 10 / 20 years ??

Robb_K (robb_k)
6-Zenith
Username: robb_k

Post Number: 9624
Posted From: 66.81.122.50
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 4:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill Sheppard placed records where he could. Shirley Wahls with Calla and King, Mill Evans (Edwards) with King and a Southern label (Sansu?), The Sheppards with Mirwood (L.A. label). Did he have previous connections with all these labels all over USA? Or was he just shopping them in a lot of places, and took deals he could get.

JSmith (jsmith)
6-Zenith
Username: jsmith

Post Number: 3348
Posted From: 82.21.222.71
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know he had a long term deal with Scepter / Wand for the Esquires stuff.
It would surely have been more logical for him to place Shirley with Wand rather than Calla.

boba (boba)
6-Zenith
Username: boba

Post Number: 808
Posted From: 99.140.186.131
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

robb, the southern label you're thinking of is tou-sea

Robb_K (robb_k)
6-Zenith
Username: robb_k

Post Number: 9626
Posted From: 66.81.122.149
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think the Calla deal was in force while Bunky had his Scepter-Wand deal. If it was, Wand would still have to want Shirley Wahls. Maybe they felt her sound was "too Rough"Bluesy, for their market. It's all about getting the most exposure, so the most money can be earned (best gigs for the artist, and most royalties for written songs). Bunky probably released a lot of his Sheppards and Esquires cuts on his own bunky Records, only because he couldn't get enough coverage for his songs on major labels (e.g. his deals with majors would only put out so many records over a period).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.