Soulful DetroitArchives - January 2009 � Benny benjamin Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

discolady (boogiefever)
1-Arriviste
Username: boogiefever

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 70.247.242.170
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 6:40 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love motown in the 60's because of hte funk brothers and drummer benny benjamin who is my favorite musician in the world and i want to know all about him at motown and his life can someone help me.

Randy Russi (randy_russi)
6-Zenith
Username: randy_russi

Post Number: 2003
Posted From: 169.139.180.100
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 8:39 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe he was actually from the Caribbean
Islands and had either a terrible drug or
drinking problem or both. He would always
run late for sessions, but they would wait
for him because that's how good he was.
By the late 60s when it looked like he
wasn't going to be able to sustain much
longer they began bringing in other
drummers. I believe he died in '69.
What a shame! Another great talent lost
much too soon due to substance abuse.

Grapevine (grapevine)
6-Zenith
Username: grapevine

Post Number: 3202
Posted From: 212.46.150.66
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 8:50 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...welcome to SDF discolady

...here's Benny's bio from the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame...

...from the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame site...

http://www.rockhall.com/induct ee/benny-benjamin

:-)

John Lester (theboyfromxtown)
6-Zenith
Username: theboyfromxtown

Post Number: 3554
Posted From: 92.234.18.53
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 9:00 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For some reason, it always seemed to be Lamont Dozier who used to tell Benny...watch your timing. Then everyone laughs....now would that be?

We know Benny was one of those guys who would spin out an excuse for being late that was so unbelievable, that you could only be amazed that you were hearing it. Wasn't there one time when he said he got delayed on the freeway by some circus elephants who escaped!!

Ralph Terrana (ralpht)
Username: ralpht

Post Number: 8036
Posted From: 76.126.132.110
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 9:22 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, John. And the story goes that Benny didn't even drive.

discolady (boogiefever)
1-Arriviste

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 9:35 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know who is my favorite benny benjamin or al jackson jr because both of them are so damn good on the drummer and both them went to soon.and i love listening to stax record and motown so you tell me.

midnightman (midnightman)
6-Zenith
Username: midnightman

Post Number: 1304
Posted From: 65.190.181.80
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 9:41 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Benny Benjamin wasn't the only drummer on Motown, lol. They had Richard "Pistol" Allen and Uriel Jones too. Sometimes they use other guys like Steve Reid or Chet Forest. We know Marvin Gaye played drum sessions too.

Thing is Benny Benjamin, "Pistol" Allen and Uriel Jones were the main ones to go to for Motown's back beats. "Pistol" and Uriel said they learned their drumming pattern by watching Benny's drum pattern (as explained on "Standing in the Shadows of Motown").

Benny was an unusual character, then again so were a lot of the musicians and artists who worked with Motown back then. It's when Benny's drug and alcohol problems (addicted to heroin, cocaine and booze) began to overwhelm him by the late 1960s, that drummers like Uriel and "Pistol" were used more frequently though they were always there.

Benny's death in 1969 was real tragic. I think he was 44 when he died.

Hula-Girl (hulagirl)
6-Zenith
Username: hulagirl

Post Number: 2762
Posted From: 199.149.51.135
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 9:54 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All,

Hey discolady. I love Mr. Benjamin. He was one of the best drummers of all time. Only those in Africa that really know how to caress, beat, bang and play one could work it better than him on the continual.

He taught Stevie Wonder the drums.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board /rap-hip-hop-engineering-produ ction/170558-stevie-wonder-dru m-solo.html

Randy Russi (randy_russi)
6-Zenith
Username: randy_russi

Post Number: 2004
Posted From: 169.139.180.100
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 9:57 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, they used other drummers, but Benny was
the main one. But they did use Pistol and
Uriel because the company sent Benny on the
road with Mary Wells.

discolady (boogiefever)
1-Arriviste

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 10:00 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no matter what benny excuse was he was just that good and made the song sound so good they didn't work with out him.

6-Zenith

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:23 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Randy, that's what I meant, lol. He was the main drummer tho of its sound.

discolady (boogiefever)
1-Arriviste

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 75.44.174.180
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 1:30 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can someone tell me if benny benjamin have any kids.

Kris Peterson (ribalda)
6-Zenith
Username: ribalda

Post Number: 2086
Posted From: 99.13.15.201
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 5:49 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked with Benny a number of times with the Funk Bros. at The Chit Chat Lounge on 12th St.(Martin Luther King Blvd.) in Detroit in the late 60's. Benny was a quiet man and mostly kept to himself. I believe that the most we ever said to each other was "hello".

Kris

6-Zenith

Post Number: 1313
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 5:52 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can believe it. Most of the musicians were very polite, quiet people, lol. They actually didn't even care about the spotlight as much as people thought, they just wanted recognition. Which is why it was heartwrenching when I heard that Robert White had went to a restaurant with a friend and "My Girl" played and he almost didn't wanna stand up and say "hey that's me playing on that song" because he thought people think he was insane.

discolady (boogiefever)
1-Arriviste

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 75.40.201.160
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 9:29 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what was it like working with benny did he have a wife or kids.i think motown should have done more for the funk brothers;because if it wasn't for them (Funk Brother)there wouldn't be a Motown.

dennis_coffey (dennis_coffey)
Username: dennis_coffey

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 76.226.3.204
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 4:31 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked on a late night session with Benny at Golden World studios. He was leaning against the back wall as he played. He seemed tired but never missed a beat. It was a very emotional moment for all of us when we all took a break from a session at Hitsville and went next store to Cole's Funeral home to pay our respects to a fantastic drummer and nice guy.

discolady (boogiefever)
1-Arriviste

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 75.48.252.39
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 6:03 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coffey when did you come to motown? and what session did you do.

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 6:32 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Discolady. I came to Motown and did the wah wah guitar part on Cloud Nine by the Temptations. After that I was there everyday. I did the intro to Ball of Confusion, Just my Imagination, etc. I played for all the Motown artists including Mowest in LA. I worked for Motown from 1968-1976. I have been at the Motown Museum all week talking to the tour groups. I also played the fuzz guitar line on Boogie Fever.

discolady (boogiefever)
1-Arriviste

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 71.143.188.212
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 8:27 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Mr Coffey, I would like to thank you for responding back to the questions that I ask.How did you get hook up with Motown and The Funk Brothers? where you just studio player or did you also go out an play on the road and in the clubs with them. Who turn you on to them?

Post Number: 70
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 9:23 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Disco Lady. James Jamerson, bass player of the Funk Brothers, first called me to be a part of his band at a Motown Producer's Workshop. This workshop was started so the producers could try out new ideas. Producer Norman Whitfield brought a song in for the Tempts called Cloud Nine. I had a wah wah pedal for my guitar with me and when Norman heard that he called me for the session. After that first session on the Temptations, I was there on sessions everyday. I played with everyone and worked for Motown from 1968-1976. I was one of the few musicians that also went to LA. I also was an artist/writer producer for Sussex records where I had hits like Scorpio. When Allen Slutsky called me to be a part of the Funk Brothers to tour before the movie Standing in the Shadows of Motown, I had other commitments and couldn't do it. I also couldn't go to Europe on tour with them because of scheduling conflicts. I did go to Philly with them and got a Funk Brother Pioneer Award from the R&B Foundation.

discolady (boogiefever)
1-Arriviste

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:15 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Mr. Coffey for responding to my question. Do you have any children? Are you married? I want to know about your family. Are you still making music?I have all the Temptations songs and my favorite was Cloud Nine.

count (the_count)
6-Zenith
Username: the_count

Post Number: 732
Posted From: 67.149.237.89
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 11:16 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DISCOLADY, pick up on this Dennis Coffey now available CD, it's great and you'll hear the great guitar sounds of Dennis Coffey. This is just a few of the song's Dennis played on, there has to be 100's of the ROCK and ROLL kid that have been rekorded, but this will get you going and give you a evening enjoyment of Dennis Coffey entertainment.
I'am diggin on mine right now.
"COUNT"
1053570.jpg

Legendary Detroit musician Dennis Coffey was the featured guitarist on literally hundreds of hit records. As a session guitarist at Motown and Invictus, and a deft hand with the wah wah pedal, you can hear him behind the Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Chairme.
Track Listing.
1. Some Like It Hot
2. Wings Of Fire
3. Live Wire
4. Wild Child
5. If You Can't Dance To This
6. Sweet Taste Of Sin
7. Someone Special (7' Version)
8. Our Love Goes On Forever
9. Back Home
10. Free Spirit
11. Finger Lickin' Good (7" Version)
12. Boogie Magic
13. Gimme That Funk (7" Version)
14. Calling Planet Earth (12"Version)
15. High On Love

WANDAful (wandaful)
3-Pundit
Username: wandaful

Post Number: 54
Posted From: 82.42.128.103
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 11:45 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

discolady
May I recommend "STANDING IN THE SHADOWS OF MOTOWN",both the DVD and the book are excellent, and the the book contains a couple of really good cd's.Also JACK ASHFORDS "THE VIEW FROM THE BOTTOM". JACK ASHFORD was the percussionist of the FUNKS and his book gives a really good insight into the musicians lifestyle and tells in detail what happened when Motown moved to LA and left the Funks, along with many others, high and dry. Very sad in parts but another excellent read.

Phil (phil)
6-Zenith
Username: phil

Post Number: 1393
Posted From: 91.172.101.67
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 12:44 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Discolady, you'll learn a lot reading Dennis Coffey's book, "Guitars, Bars and Motown Superstars".

lo

discolady (boogiefever)
1-Arriviste

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 12:54 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I already ordered Jack's book. I'm looking forward to reading it and many more. I also want to purchase Mr. Coffey's CD. So tell me how much you know about my favorite Funk Brother Benny Benjamin.

Kevin Goins - KevGo (kevgo)
6-Zenith
Username: kevgo

Post Number: 4356
Posted From: 69.4.123.31
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 3:43 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Discolady:
Everything you wanted to know about Dennis Coffey is right in his book and of course he's more than happy to share with you his years as one of music's funkiest guitarists.

BTW - He does have children (all grown) and is married to Millie - who posts here on the forum under the name Milli Vanilli.

Kevin Goins - KevGo

JSmith (jsmith)
6-Zenith
Username: jsmith

Post Number: 3400
Posted From: 195.93.21.9
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 3:48 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RE: "STANDING IN THE SHADOWS OF MOTOWN" .... the
book.
I havn't bought this as I've been told that if you can't read music, the book will be hard to follow.
IS THIS CORRECT ??

discolady (boogiefever)
2-Debutant

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 75.12.144.131
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 6:17 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I already have that book STANDING IN THE SHADOWS OF Motown.and it's a good book it tell a lot.I love Motown; but I don't like the way they did the Funk Brothers when they move to L.A.Have a good evening and may God Bless you and your family.

BankHouseDave (bankhousedave)
6-Zenith
Username: bankhousedave

Post Number: 4612
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 8:03 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JS:

Only the second section is music. Allan did a good job in telling the story of Jamerson and the Funks in the early part - and there are some great CDs of music and interviews.

DAVE

discolady (boogiefever)
2-Debutant

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 70.235.19.6
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 6:05 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YES he did, i want to know how close BENNY & JAMES where.

BankHouseDave (bankhousedave)
6-Zenith
Username: bankhousedave

Post Number: 4614
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 4:24 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No two people are closer in any (together) band than the bass player and the drummer, Lady. When you hear the Motown tracks, you know that Jamerson was watching and listening to Benny, and the other way round. Those cats were playing together all day and every day. They both liked the odd drink too, so assuredly spent time together outside the Snakepit, but their closeness would have been that closeness that only exists between creative musicians.

discolady (boogiefever)
2-Debutant

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 70.247.243.239
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 6:21 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for that message about BENNY & JAMES.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.