Soulful Detroit Archives - January 2009 Zavvi calls in the administrators! Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

AlanH (alanh)
5-Doyen
Username: alanh

Post Number: 315
Posted From: 82.44.61.85
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 7:43 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sadly the UK music and DVD chain Zavvi (was Virgin) has called in the administrators!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/bus iness/7798973.stm

I really hope a buyer can be found, otherwise the only major music chain we'll have left in the UK will be HMV.

Not cheery news for Christmas!

motownmorph (motownmorph)
5-Doyen
Username: motownmorph

Post Number: 206
Posted From: 86.128.18.237
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 9:38 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Zavvi has close links or part owned by Woolworths, who will have also ceased trading by the beginning of January.

sad time though for all the staff involved.

morph

roger (roger)
6-Zenith
Username: roger

Post Number: 2210
Posted From: 217.40.169.129
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 9:49 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all ..

My understanding is that Zavvi were using one of Woolworths subsidiaries as their main supplier and therefore when Woolworths went into administration last month they found they were having difficulties getting new stock and missed out on the pre-Christmas shopping spree as a lot of new releases just were not in stock.

I would imagine that the chain itself is quite viable, once new suppliers and owners are found .. but then I do tend to be optimistic in such matters.

Meanwhile, my local Woolworths is now virtually devoid of anything apart from "Two size" toasters, Glass Teapots and Leyton Orient 2009 calendars!! And they have even started to sell the fixtures and fittings.

Sad times indeed.

Roger

The Valley (thevalley)
2-Debutant
Username: thevalley

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 84.55.214.173
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 12:56 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's truly a disgrace. I hated the name but it's a bad sign that they might close in the end. How long with HMV last? My favorite past time in London was spending nights browsing everything :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.