Soulful Detroit Archives - January 2009 Look In My Eyes Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

caliluv (caliluv)
5-Doyen
Username: caliluv

Post Number: 240
Posted From: 38.104.128.234
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 8:25 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just re-discovered this classic by the 3 Degrees and can't get enough of it. I remember it from back when but never knew who sang it. I've had their cd Gee Baby, I'm Sorry CD and it popped up in my iPod. What a fantastic group!!

Kevin Goins - KevGo (kevgo)
6-Zenith
Username: kevgo

Post Number: 4021
Posted From: 64.33.177.134
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 8:48 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a remake of the Chantels' hit. If you like the Three Degrees' version, you'll dig the original!
Kevin Goins - KevGo

dvdmike (dvdmike)
6-Zenith
Username: dvdmike

Post Number: 2007
Posted From: 75.31.248.103
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 10:46 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobby Eli played on it. The producer was Richard Barrett and the arranger was Hutch Davie. It was recorded at A&R Studios in NYC.

Treble Clef (treble_clef)
5-Doyen
Username: treble_clef

Post Number: 410
Posted From: 205.188.116.18
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 11:16 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look In My Eyes was when The Three Degrees were on Swan Records and it was the original line-up consisting of Fayette Pinkney, Janet Harmon, and Helen Scott (who is still with the group to this day). Helen did the lead to "Look In My Eyes" and it was recorded sometime between 1964 and 1966.
The Three Degrees

Randy Russi (randy_russi)
6-Zenith
Username: randy_russi

Post Number: 1967
Posted From: 169.139.180.100
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 7:42 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Crystals also did a version of Look In My
Eyes in 1963 with Phil Spector for an lp,
The Crystals Sing the Greatest Hits.
The Chantels' original was done after Arlene
Smith had left although Arlene does do the
song sometimes in her own shows.

Randy Russi (randy_russi)
6-Zenith
Username: randy_russi

Post Number: 1969
Posted From: 169.139.180.100
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 7:46 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Crystals also did a version of Look In My
Eyes in 1963 with Phil Spector for an lp,
The Crystals Sing the Greatest Hits.
The Chantels' original was done after Arlene
Smith had left although Arlene does do the
song sometimes in her own shows.

jayjay (jayjay)
6-Zenith
Username: jayjay

Post Number: 502
Posted From: 81.106.70.8
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 7:23 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not quite the original Three Degrees, who were the lovely Fayette Pinkney, Shirley Porter and the late Linda Turner. Shirley and Linda left pretty quickly are were replaced by Helen and eventually the late Janet Jones. It was this line-up that recorded Look In My Eyes and also their first re-recording of the Chantels "Maybe", which later became a huge hit for the Girls' in 1970 with the classic line-up of Fayette, Sheila Ferguson , who also sang backing on many of their Swan recordings before joining the group herself in 1966 and the wonderful Valerie Holiday, who still remains in the Group today. Fayette has recently joined the Ladies at various awards ceremonies and shows in Philly - and all the Ladies are still going strong!

Jeremy x

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.