Soulful DetroitArchives - January 2009 � Just The Way You Are Today...Barbara Lewis Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

kamasu (kamasu)
6-Zenith
Username: kamasu

Post Number: 6590
Posted From: 65.54.97.188
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 10:17 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a fascinating record that came after Barbara Lewis left Atlantic Records.

It was released on Enterprise, a Stax subsidiary. A colleague at the Stax School swears it was recorded in memphis.
I disagree.
It sounds like Detroit. We have a steak dinner riding on this wager, but I know I'm right because the arrangement is complex, very sophisticated like Motown; Not saying Stax couldn't handle complex things too, but it just does not sound like a southern record.

Did Dennis Coffey or Babbitt play on this? Who did the arrangement? and it was done in Detroit, right?

snakepit (snakepit)
6-Zenith
Username: snakepit

Post Number: 1644
Posted From: 213.121.200.9
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 10:20 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd plump for Ollie Mclaughlin out of Detroit.

soulwally (soulwally)
6-Zenith
Username: soulwally

Post Number: 1156
Posted From: 91.105.0.93
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 10:27 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From The Many Grooves of Barbara Lewis, released in the UK on Stax in 1970...and a super album.
Just the way... written by Tony Hester, and the whole album arranged by our late friend Mike Terry, and produced by Ollie McLaughlin (good call Snake). So it's Detroit. The drum fills are pure Motown. Those crescendo-hitting strings are chilling

kamasu (kamasu)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 6591
Posted From: 65.54.97.188
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 10:31 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indeed.

I knew I was right, Snake and Soulwally.
I wonder why this wasn't a bigger hit?

But it's become a cult or underground classic.

Mark Speck (mark_speck)
6-Zenith
Username: mark_speck

Post Number: 5227
Posted From: 75.185.188.241
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 11:49 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you like this one, you need to hear more of her Enterprise product..."The Stars" and "Ask the Lonely" are both fantastic!

Best,

Mark

Tony Russi (tony_russi)
6-Zenith
Username: tony_russi

Post Number: 3261
Posted From: 70.157.206.173
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 11:59 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember ANY of the Enterprise stuff getting airplay In Florida. "You Made Me A Woman" on a Stax Soul Sisters CD in late 80's early 90's was the first time I heard any of the Enterprise stuff and its a quality track.

Phil (phil)
6-Zenith
Username: phil

Post Number: 1315
Posted From: 91.172.101.67
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 12:00 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the liners it was recorded at 8 Track Recording Co., Chicago.

Recording engineer : Stuart P. Walder

Master engineer was Russ Terrana.

lo

kamasu (kamasu)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 6596
Posted From: 65.54.97.189
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 12:03 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicago?

I bet it was probably done in both cities, Chicago and Detroit. Russ Terrana did his mixing in Detroit. So I still win.

:-)

Phil (phil)
6-Zenith
Username: phil

Post Number: 1316
Posted From: 91.172.101.67
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 7:02 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kamasu, from the liners : "RECORDED in Chicago",

"Master engineer : Russ Terrana, Jr., Tera Shirma Sounds Studios, Detroit.

So you're right, it was DONE in both cities.

boba (boba)
6-Zenith
Username: boba

Post Number: 784
Posted From: 208.252.128.18
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 7:24 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A large number of Barbara Lewis sides were detroit productions recorded in Chicago. Obviously people know about the Dells singing on "hello stranger" but one of the Accents (the "new girl" group) told me they backed her on her records immediately following the Dells backup.

Sharon (sharon)
4-Laureate
Username: sharon

Post Number: 145
Posted From: 24.205.68.141
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 2:22 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my songs was covered on that album. Actually Ollie approached Tony, Deon and myself and asked us to try and come up with a few tunes for this album. Deon had already written "Anyway", and the one I wrote,(Do I Deserve It) the track was recorded at Terra Shirma. After that Ollie had me come down to Studio B and record a ruff vocal so Barbara could learn it. Telma and Joyce and Pat and Diane Lewis and myself put the background parts on so they would already be done. Popcorn was up in the control room with Russ and Ollie and he suggested to Ollie that he release it as a single with my vocal the way it was. Popcorn always liked my voice. But Ollie needed it because he only had just enough songs.
I believe the actual vocal done by Barbara on this tune was done at Terra Shirma. As for Tony's song,Just The Way You Are Today, it is still a great song. I have thought of including one or two of his never heard before songs on my next CD. I always loved his songs and his approach to writing. He had true skill as he loved to write like I do.

Sharon

Graham Finch (acooolcat)
6-Zenith
Username: acooolcat

Post Number: 1424
Posted From: 118.161.133.239
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 4:58 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The album is on CD; well worth getting.

kamasu (kamasu)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 6627
Posted From: 65.54.97.152
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 10:17 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW. I appreciated your response Sharon.
I knew Pat and Diane Lewis, Telma Hopkins, Joyce and Pam Vincent were the busiest session singers in Detroit asidefrom the Andantes.
The Andantes were tied up at Motown but Telma, Pam, Pat, Diane and Joyce went everywhere.

Did you do other sessions with them?

Just The Way You Are Today was ahead of it's time. It was too sophisticated for folk back when it was released.

Robb_K (robb_k)
6-Zenith
Username: robb_k

Post Number: 9567
Posted From: 66.81.122.226
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 3:16 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I remember correctly, one of her Enterprise singles was played on WVON. Could it have been "Oh, Be My love"? I think it was a remake of a Miracles hit. or was it a remake of a Deon Jackson hit? I remember one of those too. "The Stars" should have become a hit.

Sharon (sharon)
4-Laureate
Username: sharon

Post Number: 146
Posted From: 24.205.68.141
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 4:22 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kamasu,

Thanks for asking. Yes. We did other sessions together. One was Belita Woods, MAGIC CORNER. Another was I'LL KEEP BELIEVING by Barbara Lewis. We did quite a few together. I was already in place working at the other Tera Shirma studio down the street and sometimes I was called to come down when they need a certain note.

Sharon

michael r. lee shue (mikey)
6-Zenith
Username: mikey

Post Number: 1895
Posted From: 99.243.161.52
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 9:54 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She was also on Reprise with "I'm so thankful".

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.