Soulful DetroitArchives - January 2009 � WBLS DISGRACE - FIRE VAUGHAN HARPER & CHAMPAGNE Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

Juicefree20 (juicefree20)
6-Zenith
Username: juicefree20

Post Number: 11845
Posted From: 24.47.225.121
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 4:38 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In an assault against one of the champions of Old-School music & its artists, WBLS has fired Quiet Storm legend, DJ Vaughan Harper & pioneering DJ, Champagne.

WBLS announced their decision by stating that they are planning to go into a "new direction", which either means more hip-Hop, or a damn salary dump. Either way, it's a damn disgraceful way to treat 2 of New York's radio legends.

Presently, ideas are being kicked around as to how to reverse this horrible decision, a decision which will adversely impact Classic Soul artists whom are already faced with shrinking airplay & radio outlets who try to help their cause. And the fact that this is occurring in the major radio market, certainly doesn't help them in the least.

I'll keep you informed as this proceeds further. Either way, this is a major slap in the face of ALL Classic Soul artists, as Vaughan Harper has provided a place when many of them could come onto his show & be interviewed LIVE, on air. He has been a huge proponent for helping to keep countless artists in our view & in our minds.

Let's see what we can do to help 2 New York radio legends, whom have always championed the music that we know & love so much.

Ms. M (ms_m)
6-Zenith
Username: ms_m

Post Number: 8274
Posted From: 68.221.98.225
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 4:57 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crap, I'm sorry to hear this Juice. I wish I could be optimistic but I'm afraid keeping them on air will be dayum near impossible unless the station sees an all out assault on the stations sponsors from the babyboomers and folks that love the classic sound and the artists. Sorry, but it won't happen. That's more than cynicism talking but experience. People will talk a good game in the beginning but will not follow through and let's face it, if their sponsors were getting the results from the listening audience, it would not not be an issue. This is one of the few times I take the defeatist attitude. I think the best they can do is, their own thing through the net or take a job spinning BS forced on them from snot nose kid PD'S.

Crap, crap, crap, this really makes me angry on many different levels and fronts.!!!!!

daddyacey (daddyacey)
6-Zenith
Username: daddyacey

Post Number: 1755
Posted From: 161.185.151.193
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 6:05 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has been a long time in coming. The other so called leading "Classic Soul" station has been leading in the "stats" with its gimmicks and pre programmed playlists for years and as such , the post baby boomer and generation X audience that it "serves" has been brainwashed into thinking that whats being served up hourly , day in day out, with little tid-bits of real music such as Felix and The Revue and Hal Jackson , squeezed between hours and hours of digitized loop de loop "party mixes from da club" , on the weekend ,is acceptable as "Classic Soul".
Radio as we 45+ year olds know it has been dead for some time. The "radio personality" ,a key part of the medium was killed off by automation. The "DJ" ,the programming creative force behind classic radio as we old heads know it was killed off by the radio personality ,and so on and so on.
The assault on Old-School music, its artists and it's history ,I dare say will continue. The sponsors are just as much in the dark about this music as the demographics and indivduals that they gear their products and services towards.
"WBLS has fired Quiet Storm legend, DJ Vaughan Harper & pioneering DJ, Champagne" , I tell you I nver would have thought I'd see that day ,and the more I think on it , the more frustrated and pissed the ---- off I get!!!!!! I got a new direction for who evers idea this was.

Collectively among the members right here on SDF with our collections and knowledge ,could run the baddest Soul/R+B/Funk station on this planet.

6-Zenith

Post Number: 11846
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 6:17 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ms M

This was attempted once before & believe it or not, people protested & actually got the decision reversed.

I've found that when enough people actually stand up & demand that their concerns be addressed, if the powers-that-be understand that the hit to their bottom line is going to be substantial, they often have a change of mind & hold a press conference detailing how they're proud to be "protectors" of whatever.

We, as consumers, give up too much of our power. As you so accurately stated, too often people bitch, then do absolutely nothing. But in this case, artists are involved & these artists have been greatly aided by Vaughan & Champagne over the years. They know exactly what's at stake & if they can reach out to their fans & get them revved up, something can be done.

We'll see how things turn out.

6-Zenith

Post Number: 11847
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 6:28 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Daddy

You've got that right!

The funny thing is that recent data has been given, which shows that much of the music being purchased has been by people 40+. who while not purchasing from "brick & mortar" stores, but rather over the internet.

There is a lot that we CAN do to prevent this, but unfortunately, we just don't use our power to its greatest advantage & that's our sin & our greatest failing overall.

Either way, we have to begin to exercise our power, which despite what many of us believe, is considerable if used correctly.

And yes, if we had the wherewithal, we could create one monster of a musical conglomerate.

Kevin Goins - KevGo (kevgo)
6-Zenith
Username: kevgo

Post Number: 3995
Posted From: 64.33.177.134
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 6:32 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez...here we go again...

This isn't the first time WBLS fired or let Vaughn Harper walk out of the door. The first time they did this was when he was ill (Vaughn wound up on WBGO-FM as a result). After some hell-raising, he returned to WBLS-FM.

Like Ms. M said, the chances of Vaughn and Champagne coming back to the House That Frankie & Hal Built are probably slim to none. Commercial broadcast stations are not run by the program directors - the sales/marketing departments control radio & TV programming. If the ad revenues aren't up or have hit a plateau, guess who's gonna feel the heat - the on-air talent.

Also, broadcasters want the younger listeners because of that good ol' disposable income which advertisers (and their clients) lust for like Mr. Krabs from Spongebob Squarepants drools over the sight of a penny or dollar bill. The older folks (like many of us, present company included) are careful with our dollar and won't be suckered into buying whatever a radio commercial is hawking. Vaughn & Champagne attract that older demographic.

The best thing for Vaughn & Champagne to do? Head over to WBGO-FM, WBAI-FM, WCBS-FM (where they could do a killer classic soul show!), satellite radio (which with their name recognition the two-some may be able to score a radio show) or internet radio. Hell, maybe WRKS-FM can finally carve WBLS' tombstone by hiring Vaughn & Champagne and bury Percy Sutton's flagship station once and for all, thus finishing what Kiss-FM started in 1981.

Kevin Goins - KevGo

(Message edited by kevgo on December 02, 2008)

Ms. M (ms_m)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 8279
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 6:44 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Juice I would love to be proven wrong on this and I hope you guys can pull it through again but I'm with Kev Go on this one. I suggest they get in where they can fit in and be happy they had as many years as they did.

I've accepted the fact that radio or even the music industry will never be what it use to be. We have to create what we want. It can't be the same but that doesn't mean it will be bad...just different. Good luck! If I can help, let me know. In spite of my lack of optimism I'm always down for the challenge of a lost cause:-)

Kev-Lo (7273747576)
6-Zenith
Username: 7273747576

Post Number: 2476
Posted From: 71.190.84.41
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 8:02 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi this is Kev-Lo

I read about this today myself in the New York daily news. It's sad that they let these two WBLS DJ legends go like that. And when they say that they did it to change toward a new direction unfortunately that's just what it is to make it more Hip Hop. If it was'nt for Felix Hernandez and Hal Jackson there would be no Classic Soul and R&B played on New York radio at all. Althought I'm born and raised here in New York I have to say that New York socks when it comes to music. They took all of our great music that we once loved and cherished away from us and it makes me sick.

Soulful Detriot (mike_nyc)
6-Zenith
Username: mike_nyc

Post Number: 425
Posted From: 69.38.137.2
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 8:10 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just saw Vaughn Harper at the Whispers/O'Jays show which both groups performed great.

Stranger56 (stranger56)
5-Doyen
Username: stranger56

Post Number: 232
Posted From: 72.89.123.146
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 11:18 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike, I wish you had let me know you were going to be there (I assume you meant at Westbury).
I worked there, and it would've been great to meet another SDFer,

My understanding, from talking to people backstage that night, is that it was a budgetary decision. Vaughn seems ok about it, though. I get the impression, talking to him, that he might have been thinking about hanging it up soon anyway.

Who knows? One thing's for sure. A legend like that should be able to walk away on HIS own terms, when HE'S ready.

BLS blew this one.

Soulful Detriot (mike_nyc)
6-Zenith
Username: mike_nyc

Post Number: 427
Posted From: 205.188.116.18
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 12:56 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes,I do mean Westbury.The show was great.There was another legend there also Mr. Hal Jackson He turned 93? I think that's what they said.It would have been great to meet you too.

tallone (tallone)
6-Zenith
Username: tallone

Post Number: 563
Posted From: 65.244.172.10
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 1:05 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW!!
I'm shocked that this would happen to two of the "Elders of the Village". They deserve much better than this.
Although I've been out of the New York scene for the past 25 years, I still hate to see this happen.
I agree with Juice, something should be done.

Honest Opinions (honest_opinions)
4-Laureate
Username: honest_opinions

Post Number: 120
Posted From: 24.46.252.150
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 12:44 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The WBLS firings started on the Wendy Williams show. Co-Host Charlamagne and two segment producers were let go. THAT WAS THE FIRST SHOT.

Rarely does a station let go of people on one their TWO top rated shows first, but WBLS did.

I only mention this to those who may be led to believe that Champaigne & Vaughn are being used to bear the economic burden...THEY WERE, but they were not first.

What is KILLING WBLS and will kill other stations all around the country is the Arbitron PPM results. The new measurements are showing some SERIOUS downward trending of some formerly top-rated shows. Advertisers are responding to the data. The data is probably flawed- but Arbitron data always has been. The talent is paying the price.
Then there is the ECONOMY. Advertisers are looking for reasons to pull out.

WBLS is panicking right now. As Kevin Goins and Juicefree have alluded to- this is NOT the first time the "management" at WBLS has done this.
They are flailing right now. But yeah...it broke my heart (and Wendy Williams too....who has talked about it on air, even though you know DAMN WELL management does NOT want her to).

daddyacey (daddyacey)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 1764
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 6:56 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

H.O. , I totally agree with your post. I have had a problem in understanding the complete dependence on and the method of compilation of Arbitron data since 1981.
As for Charlamagne , there is no love lost there for me, and Wendy, who chews food ,belches and gives so called expert advice on the air and who's musical segments leaves much to be desired, is dodging that axe too. In the long run the listener is ......Not "Doooennn" To Well.

Ms. M (ms_m)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 8337
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 7:16 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Honest Opinion I was pretty sure this was related to ad dollars but it really sucks if their info is based on bogus ratings. On the flip, it could also be a way to reverse the decision if someone could prove the Arbitron data is indeed flawed. A tough nut to crack because it has power and has had power for years but it could not only set a precedent for WBLS but other stations around the country.

6-Zenith

Post Number: 4010
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 3:07 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Honest Opinions....we've been down this road before with WBLS-FM and it looks like the Arbitron Portable People Meter ain't gonna go away anytime soon....

http://www.medialifemagazine.c om/artman2/publish/Research_25 /Media_buyers_We_re_behind_Arb itron.asp

BTW - Here's some info regarding the Arbitron Portable People Meter...

http://www.arbitron.com/portab le_people_meters/home.htm

Kevin Goins - KevGo

Bob Olhsson (bob_olhsson)
6-Zenith
Username: bob_olhsson

Post Number: 718
Posted From: 74.179.25.92
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 4:07 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW! I just looked at the Arbitron figures. PPM is a whole new ballgame.

On the whole, music radio is looking like it's in a whole lot better shape than it did before. This could turn into good news but a bunch of folks are probably going to be getting canned for the moment because nobody is buying radio spots in this economy and the big advertisers are going to be rethinking everything they thought they knew about radio.

splanky (splanky)
6-Zenith
Username: splanky

Post Number: 2262
Posted From: 71.167.236.74
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 5:07 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have never understood the appeal of Wendy Williams. I have never understood how she became so big a media personality in New York, how her books sell or why BLS hired her in the first place. I only here her stupid show because that's what my co-workers listen to on the job, though I myself have thought this woman ridiculous since the early 90's when she was known for stirring up trouble like the beef between fans of Q-Tip of A Tribe Called Quest and
Afrika Bambatta's Zulu Nation. But I think that radio has been dumbing down it's staff and listeners for the past 20 years or so. We went from Frankie Crocker,though he talked a lot of shit, dropping much science and encouraging unity of the people to Miss Jones attacking Asians on her live show. We went from DJ's on BLS, WWRL and WLIB giving us histories of the music as well as keeping us abreast of the political atmosphere to Star threatening people's children. We went from Gary Byrd's GBE to the Wendy Williams Experience. This is why I really don't listen to a lot of "R&B" radio these days though there a number of the new singers I like. I don't get the appeal of a black female version of Howard Stern....

Timmy Funk (timmyfunk)
6-Zenith
Username: timmyfunk

Post Number: 1788
Posted From: 24.187.171.68
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 6:30 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least you can still find Gary Byrd on...you guessed it, WBAI 99.5 FM on Wednesdays and Fridays. I dig Michael Baisden on some days, but for the most part my personal political views lead me to gravitate towards WBAI.

I also have never understood the appeal of Wendy Williams. What a waste of air space!

Marv (marv2)
1-Arriviste
Username: marv2

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 6:57 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is why I hardly listen to WBLS anymore! When they brought Frankie Crocker back in the mid 90's , they got me back as a listener full time. After Frankie was gone, I still listened to Hal Jackson's Sunday Classics. Vaugh Harper did an excellent job with the "Quiet Storm" format. For you fellow Detroiters it reminded me a bit of our "Electrifying Mojo" and his program on WGPR in the early 80's.

Why they would mess with something that was working that well, I'll never know. They basically destroyed WBLS's identity with these moves.

daddyacey (daddyacey)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 1769
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 3:19 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To add to this insult ,BLS still plays the Quiet Storm theme at 7:00 ,and just plays music straight through with no host. Its like they put the system on random play. How is it that you treat the creator of "The Quiet Storm" format,(VAUGHN) ,that way?

T.F.U.!!

michael r. lee shue (mikey)
6-Zenith
Username: mikey

Post Number: 1884
Posted From: 99.243.161.52
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 7:04 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't the creator of the quiet storm format from DC?

daddyacey (daddyacey)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 1770
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 2:14 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean Melvin Lindsey? He coined the phrase "Quiet Storm", and WHUR in D.C. owns the rights to the name , but prior to that, the concept of playing mellow "urban tracks" after 8:00 was started on BLS around 74-75. Harper used to follow Crocker at one time from 8:00 to 12:00. What else could you do after Frankie signed off:-)?.

1wicked (1wicked)
6-Zenith
Username: 1wicked

Post Number: 2008
Posted From: 173.117.101.44
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 3:28 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh...but Cathy Hughes "claims" to have originated the "Quiet Storm" format....LOL

6-Zenith

Post Number: 4013
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 5:45 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Daddyacey is right - the Quiet Storm was launched at WHUR-FM back in the 1970s, even though many R&B stations on the FM dial were already playing mellow "slow jams" after dark.

Also gotta give credit to a certain Motown poet named William "Smokey" Robinson for coming up with the song that said it all!

Kevin Goins - KevGo

Honest Opinions (honest_opinions)
4-Laureate
Username: honest_opinions

Post Number: 121
Posted From: 24.46.252.150
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 5:47 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

{Viacom to Release 850, Legendary Chicago Personality Exits WJMK, WTLZ-Saginaw PD Exits, Joe Scarborough Launches Radio Show}

This was the headline greeting me today as I opened my email from NewRadioHits.
Media companies are taking it as hard as Wall Street.

Daddyacey. The QS FORMAT is still viable. You can pay a board-op 15 dollars an hour. Harper made 15 dollars an hour back when he was a doorman. You can play the MUSIC- you just cant pay the personality. Not as things currently are. Remember, the Suttons are NOT going to take any pay cuts or any lower stock options or bonuses. Family owned business is like any other. Those on top try their level BEST to keep the gravy train runnin'.....

6-Zenith

Post Number: 4018
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 6:29 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You got that right regarding Percy & company, H.O.
Kevin Goins - KevGo

daddyacey (daddyacey)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 1772
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 3:11 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Cathy Hughes "claims" to have originated the "Quiet Storm" format....LOL"

Yes she does make that claim, but I have a friend that went to Howard in 71, the same year that this origin of the format was supposed to have happend, and he was from N.Y.(a WWRL/BLS weaned listener) and turned out to be just as big in the industry as Ms.Hughes. I'm not dissing Ms Hughes on that claim but....Columbus claimed to discover America ,and we all know what happened to that story.
My problem is that I miss the creativity and quality of radio that I had the pleasure of growing up with. Back in the day when the DJ was semi- running the show. When you had the DJ playing records for you and talking to and with you, for your entertainment. When the DJ knew what he was talking about in regards to the artists instead of reading off a sheet of paper ,and was creative. I feel sorry that the younger generations not old enough to have heard Frankie Crocker talk his shizit on the air or Eddie O'Jay rap will not have that expierience. Murray The K would spend 2 mins setting up a record with a story that would have you listening and glued to the radio. Cousin Bruce ,Wolfman Jack just to name a few others. It was so cool to hear...."This is Roscoe"!!!
But I guess this is just the ravings of a old music lover, from the little am radio under the pillow and pause button record era. The old farts on the board know what I mean:-):-):-)

ladyvanaye (ladyvanaye)
6-Zenith
Username: ladyvanaye

Post Number: 6299
Posted From: 216.27.137.28
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 4:18 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DaddyAcey - I have tapes of Frankie and Vaughn....back in the day. Eddie O'Jay too. My trusty Panasonic radio with the red button for record that I got as a 'high school graduation gift'. LOL. That was a big deal then. :-)

I havent really commented on this subject because it goes along with my feelings of 'how NY is killing all of its institutions...especially Harlem'..so why should a good DJ with great music be excused from the execution/elimination?
It is a shame of course, but it is sign of the times.

Well I would hope KISS could pick him up, but they got Lenny Green. So maybe one of those other stations can create a format for him. He should go to NPR. 'FREEDOM'. I believe Ken 'Spider' Webb is on internet radio now too.

daddyacey (daddyacey)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 1774
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 5:15 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dyva--Did you get that Zoom MP3 I sent you???
Lenny played that cut last night. He has come a long way as far as whoever is doing his music programming ,I don't think he is doing that all by himself. That's just M.O. Voice and personality wise he is very close to V.H.,I must admit.
You mean that black Panasonic radio/cassette comb
with the red button and that speaker in da front:-):-). You need to copy those tapes onto CD for safe keeping.

daddyacey (daddyacey)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 1780
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 2:01 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump , Homette!!!!

Richard Felstead (felstead2001)
6-Zenith
Username: felstead2001

Post Number: 3340
Posted From: 128.40.211.146
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 7:29 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am exceptionally saddened to hear this news.

In my late teens, I had a friend of the family send over tapes of "The Quiet Storm" with Vaughan Harper, so I spent a great deal of my impressionable years growing up being influenced by his musical taste and wonderful voice.

He turned me on to many a fine artist or group.

Radio sadly, has never been more influenced by audience figures which leaves no room for any emotion or loyalty in fact.

Most FM based stations on either side of the pond are but sad reflections on what they used to be or stand for.

ladyvanaye (ladyvanaye)
6-Zenith
Username: ladyvanaye

Post Number: 6302
Posted From: 24.44.235.63
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 8:55 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No! Which email did you send it to? Well send again and I will give you all of the ways to contact me when one fails. LOL. My AOL account so full it wasnt taking mail. I cleared it. :-) Im going to write you from that one right now.

stephanie (stephanie)
6-Zenith
Username: stephanie

Post Number: 574
Posted From: 68.166.148.82
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 12:56 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can guarantee you if they let the DJ's run the radio again and stop this preprogrammed stuff and YES keep hip hop but keep the number of oldies shows the same you would have advertisers knocking down doors. I think its the older people with the disposable income not the younger ones. What these programmers dont know is that a lot of younger people are discovering the oldies.
When I saw Peter Noone and Procol Harum and Lesley Gore I was astounded at the 10-20 year olds who knew all of the words to the songs.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.