Soulful Detroit Archives - January 2009 Labelle Review -Back to Now Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

Jimmy Mack (luke)
6-Zenith
Username: luke

Post Number: 3927
Posted From: 205.188.116.18
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 10:26 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had heard mixed things but I tell you I was knocked over when I heard their CD today.
Dear Rosa-beautiful and moving;--perhaps Nona's most mainstream song; magnificent harmonies.
How Long-the best "dance" track Ive heard in ages.Infectious, especially the backgrounds.
The System-each lady sings lead and its so refreshing to hear some music with a message.
It should also be noted that Sarah, Nona and Patti all were involved in writing most of the songs, with Nona writing two exclusively. BRAVO!!
It's quite amazing-Patti's voice is still as good as it ever was-as well as Nona's and Sarah's. Roll On has just grabbed me after repeated listenings. It should be a number one-IMO. And Miss Otis Regrets boggles the mind. Who would have thought Labelle could do Cole Porter. Patti is just magnificent on it--and Nona and Sarah give stellar support.

CAPTAIN (captainjames)
4-Laureate
Username: captainjames

Post Number: 159
Posted From: 64.12.116.18
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 12:05 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimmy Mack as I have stated before when I first heard this CD it is well worth a listen and play from everyone. I am not sure which song I like the best anymore since I keep going back and forth. I think "Tears" is getting the best of me with its infectious cry. Someone remarked today that it must be an early CD since they look so young on the cover. LOL.

Jimmy Mack (luke)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 3928
Posted From: 205.188.116.18
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 10:18 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL

Shawn1 (shawn1b)
6-Zenith
Username: shawn1b

Post Number: 1612
Posted From: 4.245.46.129
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 10:58 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some people have said the backgrounds aren't as good .I haven' heard the cd but would have liked to have seen Cindy Birdsong included in this reunion .Shawn

inandoutoflove (inandoutoflove)
5-Doyen
Username: inandoutoflove

Post Number: 220
Posted From: 207.200.116.68
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 12:42 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't got the cd yet, but I think Santa is bringing it to me for Christmas. I'd love to see Cindy return too, but she wasn't with them when they were Labelle. I really want her to be in that never-gonna-happen-it-seems reunion of the Supremes before it's too late. That Labelle (Sarah, Nona, and Patti) were able to come together at this point in their lives and careers and record (and tour) is a blessing. Others should take something from their example. I hate I am going to get to see Labelle perform LIVE. But I'm happy that the show(s) sold out so well. Is this cd really about Labelle-the group, or is it really just another Patti solo album. Nona can sing her butt off, and Sarah Dash too, but it seems from what I've heard that again, Patti is doing all the leads.

Reese (reese)
6-Zenith
Username: reese

Post Number: 1950
Posted From: 204.152.13.243
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 9:57 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patti does most of the leads, as she always did. But the cd is definitely a Labelle cd. The group harmonies are still the dominant element.

Jimmy Mack (luke)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 3979
Posted From: 64.12.116.18
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 10:51 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was surprised Nona gets one complete solo song and part of another(I love Nona's funky voice) while Sarah with the angelic voice gets a little bit of one song-but their harmonies are as strong as ever(listen to the track Candlelight). And they plan at least 3 more cds so Im sure we will hear more of each of them. And one week from tonight I will be watching them at the Apollo!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.