Soulful DetroitArchives - January 2009 � Sweet Natalie Cole Back on the Road Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

loveblind (loveblind)
6-Zenith
Username: loveblind

Post Number: 736
Posted From: 158.59.229.16
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 8:54 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BACK ON THE ROAD October 30, 2008
Filed under: Entertainment � Ryann Hayman @ 3:46 pm
Tags: Natalie Cole

Natalie Cole has resumed her tour schedule following a break to address problems with her kidney. The singer, however, must undergo dialysis three times a week, for three hours a day while traveling.

�The dialysis is to wash my blood, to keep my kidneys functioning,� she told People magazine. �When they put me in the hospital, [my kidneys were] only about 8 percent [functioning].�

The kidney problem was in addition to her ongoing battle with hepatitis C. She is currently virus negative and says of her return to the road, �It feels great to be back.�

�I feel sturdy and strong,� the 58-year-old Grammy-winner told People Tuesday at a CD signing for her new album, �Still Unforgettable,� in L.A. �And my voice is still here! It�s almost like a miracle because [the treatment] didn�t affect my [singing].�

Cole, who was hospitalized in September after suffering a setback in her treatment, described battling the liver disease as her �biggest challenge� ever.

�I�ve never been through anything like this,� she said. �I�ve never been this ill.� But, she explains, �I love what I do so much. I just keep going. Not much can bring me down.�

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

allenhouse (allenhouse)
4-Laureate
Username: allenhouse

Post Number: 110
Posted From: 159.83.168.253
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 5:37 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't understand this incessant need to perform, in the light of such a medical disability. What is she trying to prove? She needs to just chill.

divalish (divalish)
6-Zenith
Username: divalish

Post Number: 673
Posted From: 71.33.146.34
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 6:42 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think most who are confronted with health issues, or any issues for that matter, would choose to go on with their lives for as long as they were able to do so. i applaud natalie and wish her well!

hartfordman (hartfordman)
6-Zenith
Username: hartfordman

Post Number: 797
Posted From: 64.12.116.18
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 1:26 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like many who have worked all of their adult lives, work makes them happy and keeps them sane. Being on disability and out of the movement of the work force makes many feel life is over. Some can adjust and others choose to do the opposite. With Natalie being on dialysis, my only prayer for her is to keep her health at number one, career second.

Mark Speck (mark_speck)
6-Zenith
Username: mark_speck

Post Number: 5040
Posted From: 75.185.175.45
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 1:57 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoy her music and wish her nothing but the best! :-)

Best,

Mark

jobeterob (jobeterob)
6-Zenith
Username: jobeterob

Post Number: 4606
Posted From: 70.77.46.246
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 2:21 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you guys are right. We've had 4 women at our law firm retire in the last 10 months and all have asked to return. You end up socially isolated when you leave what you are used to. You also lose the mental stimulation of your job. Golfing, going on walks, reading and lying in the sun are very appealing when you don't have lots of time to do them; when you can do them every day, the appeal gets lost pretty quickly.

So I can see why Natalie Cole may want to continue working. Also, when you are ill, you don't want to just give in. That makes it all worse.

That said, Natalie has a very serious illness and she will need to try and balance her desire to keep working with the need to maintain her health.

allenhouse (allenhouse)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 4:34 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There must be a hundred and one other things she could be involved with in the music business, and she is a christian too. She can serve the Lord in other ways.

splanky (splanky)
6-Zenith
Username: splanky

Post Number: 2187
Posted From: 71.167.234.191
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 5:14 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

allenhouse, try to keep in mind not all artists are as filthy rich as the Jay Zs and Master Ps of today. A lot of the artists whose heyday was more than 15 or 20 years ago work because they have limited or no other income sources to maintain their lifestyles and pay bills. Granted Natalie is not broke and is still releasing good material she may want to work for both her financial and mental stability. Some people self destruct when they are idle and we all know she's already been down that road. I say good for her. Maybe one of the reasons I have so much admiration for a number of the earlier jazz singers like Ella, Shirley Horn and Betty Carter is that they worked until they died. Abbey Licoln has had bypass surgery and she ain't quit singing yet!...

allenhouse (allenhouse)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 4:13 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Granted that, Splanky. But we're talkin' kidney dialysis here, chemo'treatments, i.v.'s in the dressin' room. Maybe our priorities sometimes; though however well-meaning, can also be a little misplaced.

And what was that bit she was quoted saying in the rencent People Magazine spread, about "lookin' so good, better than some of her 40 yr-old friends?" Well, not to be mean but, not quite. She looked good at the Hollywood Bowl a few years ago. Well, more power to her. And God bless her.

RTA5225 (rta5225)
3-Pundit
Username: rta5225

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 75.33.41.5
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 5:46 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure she has medical bills, even though she probably is not poor. When she was using, I'm sure a lot of money was squandered on that. I agree with the person who said some people shouldn't be idle. They say people that have had trouble with addictions should not be. I think the work is cathartic for her.

allenhouse (allenhouse)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 113
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 7:24 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one said she should be idle. I certainly didn't intend to imply that. I am simply saying that maybe her performance days are over. She should take her bow gracefully. And get involved in another less vigorous facet of the music business. She does not look well. She looks frail. God forbid she should have the unfortunate experience of a mishap on stage.

allenhouse (allenhouse)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 114
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 7:32 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The photo in this post is not the one of her in People Magazine.

MsJoys (msjoys)
6-Zenith
Username: msjoys

Post Number: 785
Posted From: 70.252.2.55
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 10:22 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Natalie will appear on the Dr. Phil Show
Wednesday, Nov. 12th.

fayette (msshonuff4u)
6-Zenith
Username: msshonuff4u

Post Number: 721
Posted From: 205.188.116.18
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 6:05 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it shows natalie determination. good for her.
i'm sure some days she still don't feel good.
but natalie loves what she doing and
if singing in front of people and feeling that
love keep her going so be it.

allenhouse (allenhouse)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 120
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 6:06 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one on this post loves Natalie more than me. I've followed her career from a 'teen; I've attended her concerts, I've bought her albums, I've used hers and her father's music in weddings. Obviously, nobody out there is hearing me.

Natalie: if you're out there reading this post, please take good care of yourself. You've already done it all sister! Looking forward to hearing your new cd. Much love.

simplysupreme (simplysupreme)
5-Doyen
Username: simplysupreme

Post Number: 309
Posted From: 68.94.41.132
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 7:41 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Allen, I know exactly what you're saying, and I agree.

MsJoys (msjoys)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 786
Posted From: 70.251.26.58
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 7:23 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember, today's the day - check your local listings!

allenhouse (allenhouse)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 11:57 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Miss Supreme.

allenhouse (allenhouse)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 12:00 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ooops, my bad. simplysupreme.

simplysupreme (simplysupreme)
5-Doyen
Username: simplysupreme

Post Number: 311
Posted From: 68.94.35.117
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 12:25 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no problem, Allen ;-)

divalish (divalish)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 695
Posted From: 71.33.223.179
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 2:07 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry, but i disagree with allenhouse. this decision should be between natalie and her medical advisors. when and if the day comes when she must make another decision; i'm sure she will. in the meantime and always, i will send her only love and support.

allenhouse (allenhouse)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 124
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 5:20 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work in a medical unit. My advice is that she takes time off. (smile)

divalish (divalish)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 698
Posted From: 71.33.223.179
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 5:38 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well see here! divalish will send her love support and your medical unit working advice. lmao

allenhouse (allenhouse)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 5:41 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ha-ha, sounds like a winner.

MsJoys (msjoys)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 788
Posted From: 70.250.172.233
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 7:30 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be watching for Natalie Cole on Tavis Smiley, Saturday, Nov. 22nd (PBS) 12:30 a.m. (Central Time) - convert to your time zone.

MsJoys (msjoys)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 789
Posted From: 70.250.114.104
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 6:56 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bumping this up as a reminder...

kamasu (kamasu)
6-Zenith
Username: kamasu

Post Number: 6505
Posted From: 63.19.9.121
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 6:04 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watched.

It was kind of sad. She still does not look well, but she seems at peace with herself and is optimistic.

The thing I admire about Ms. Cole is that she takes responsibility for the things she's done that led to her health decline.

She doesn't blame anyone else for her problems.

In essence, she said she did some pretty reckless things with her life and her gift. Tavis Smiley asked her if she knew then what she knows now would that haved stopped her.

Her reply was candid:
"I don't know. I was in the moment," she said, not thinking about consequences.

I'm pulling for her because she seems so determined.

fayette (msshonuff4u)
6-Zenith
Username: msshonuff4u

Post Number: 726
Posted From: 64.12.116.18
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 8:44 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YES I READ NATALIE'S BOOK SHE IS VERY OPEN
ABOUT HER DRUG ABUSE.I THINK SHE'LL BE OK.
SHE HAS A DETERMINATION THAT WILL CARRY HER.
I HAVEN'T SEEN ANY INTERVIEWS FROM HER LATELY.
IS SHE STILL TAKING HER TREATMENT.

kamasu (kamasu)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 6514
Posted From: 65.54.97.191
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 8:11 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe Natalie Cole said she is no longer undergoing chemotherapy but does have to have a kidney transplant.

(Message edited by kamasu on November 24, 2008)

Juicefree20 (juicefree20)
6-Zenith
Username: juicefree20

Post Number: 11797
Posted From: 24.47.225.121
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 5:02 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that the question that Tavis asked her was the type of ridiculous questions that folks tend to ask. Hindsight like that is 20/20 & usually pretty self-explanatory.

It's like asking a promiscuous person that if they knew that they were going to contract HIV, if they still would've had that late-night tryst back in 1981.

"HUH?!?!?!?"

When they ask such ridiculous questions, are they truly expecting for the person to say, "Yeah man, that stuff was so good, I'd die to get me some more"?

Ironically, as i mentioned in the "Whitney" thread, many young people tend to believe that they're bullet-proof & will take chances that those of us knock & knock from the perspectives of folks aged 40 to 50 plus. Perhaps we weren't reckless with drugs, but fellas, how many of us were 18 or so during the Disco days of the mid-to-late 70s, who didn't get overly acquainted with ladies whom we barely knew? And if you weren't trying to get busy in those pre-HIV/AIDS days, you know that your boys got all into your butt about it.

My point is that even if we didn't choose drugs, at one time of another, most of us did some things which could've jeopardized our health, if not our futures. And rather than borne of any great design or skill of ours, it was purely the Grace of God that got us through those days unscathed.

I won't judge Natalie or anyone who finds trouble, or worse, ill health because of their bad decisions. They're paying a high price as it is, without me trying to play sidewalk-psychoanalyst & lambasting them for making bad decisions, as if it's any of my business to begin with.

I feel bad for Natalie, Whitney, Bobby, Amy for the damage that they've done to themselves, just as I feel bad about the losses of Billie, Janis, Jimi, Frankie, due to the same type of indiscretions. Do we speak as ill about them, as we do Natalie, Whitney, or anyone else? Do we mock & disparage folks like Jackie Wilson, Ray Charles, Etta James, Big Maybelle or Esther Phillips for their use of substances, or do we still love them for the talents that they were & for the music that they made?

I also feel badly for for those whom have stained reputations & legacies, such as Gil Scott-Heron & Tony Hester, who fell victim to the very drugs that they sang profound songs of warning to us about. Likewise with James, whom found himself the butt of jokes due to his ingesting of substances at such a late stage in life. Am I to mock them & disrespect them, as so many disrespect the Natalies, the Whitneys, or anyone else of recent vintage?

If a hardcore disciplinarian such as James, who absolutely HATED drug use in his peak years & would kick any one out of his group who was indulging, could fall victim to drugs, then there's got to be something more to this drug thing, than us "normal" people can rationally understand.

A better question that Tavis might have asked is why does it seem that some artists DESPITE their bad habits & drug use, get a pass that others whom were EQUALLY self-destructive do not?

Now, THAT, is an answer that I really love to hear a logical & FAIR answer to. It's said that a druggie, is a druggie, is a druggie & if that's true, than how can we justify the kindness & respect shown one set of talented drug abusers, while reviling another group of talented drug abusers?

I forgot...it's called HYPOCRISY & for my part, I wish each & every one of them success in conquering their demons. And should their choices lead to ill health, I really need not pile on with the other detractors.

These folks are paying a high enough price as it, without some big-mouthed guy from Brooklyn on a moral high-horse, judging them & wagging a scornful & very belated finger at them.

God Speed to them all!

kamasu (kamasu)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 6535
Posted From: 65.54.97.187
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 5:28 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Tavis' question was fair and Natalie's answer was honest and candid.

She's not asking anyone for sympathy. She knows she may not get a pass from everyone for her past indiscretions. This is what I admired. She did some bad things and is not asking anyone to pity her. She's owning up or taking responsibility for her wrongs before she leaves planet.

I don't give her a pass, but I do respect her for taking some responsibility for the things she did to herself. Some other esteemed artists, who did a whole lot of wrong to themselves and others, never achieved such insight.

Natalie Cole is not blaming a poor childhood, the loss of her dad or any other kind of problem on her current situation.

She clearly said she must have been in search of something to fill a void and turned to the wrong thing.

(Message edited by kamasu on November 24, 2008)

Juicefree20 (juicefree20)
6-Zenith
Username: juicefree20

Post Number: 11801
Posted From: 24.47.225.121
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 6:25 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kamasu

And I give her plenty of respect for saying that. Truthfully, I'm referring more to the fans whom tend to pile on the Natalies' & the Whitneys'.

Many of them speak so ill & with such disgust about folks like Natalie, Whitney or an Amy, while turning around & waxing poetic about other artists who are almost as known for their substance abuse, as they are for the great music that they helped to create.

I find a lot of what I've seen written on internet blogs & the like to be extremely hypocritical about cases such as this. And should you point out the disparity in treatment or the discrepancy in their thinking, the answer usually boils down to "Well, they made great music" or "They were great singers", or some such hypocritical crap.

That's why I won't knock any of them & why I don't care to see any of them knocked period. If I'm going to knock one of them, then to be fair, I'd have to knock all of them.

And as my life isn't over just yet, that would still be a pretty hypocritical for me to do, as I have no idea what tomorrow holds for me. I don't use drugs & don't like drugs. But can I say beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I won't end up with some type of painful injury which requires me to take pills & that if so, I couldn't end up hooked on them?

Maybe that's a bit extreme, but none of us knows what this life has in store for us, much less how we'll react to it.

I guess that aside from saying that some of us are a bit hypocritical about all of this, that we're also being a bit judgemental, as well. I'm pretty sure that a whole lot of winos & homeless folks used to think that it could never happen to them either.

Sometimes, life can really kick you in the ass & I think that too many people forget that & give themselves way more credit than they should. Maybe, just maybe, they haven't reached their own personal breaking point & from what I've seen, sometimes that breaking point isn't some huge calamity, but often something relatively miniscule that happened along at the wrong time for that person to have to deal with.

Though we're all human, sometimes many of us forget to be humane. And though just one letter separates the two words, there's a world of difference between the two.

Charise (mistrivia1)
6-Zenith
Username: mistrivia1

Post Number: 4230
Posted From: 76.204.176.206
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 3:18 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Juice, say all of that, one more time!!
AMEN!

loveblind (loveblind)
6-Zenith
Username: loveblind

Post Number: 756
Posted From: 158.59.229.16
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 9:22 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i finally caught the Tavist interview. Natalie is a brave woman and she is very real. She doesn't sugar coat or make excuses. I love that about her.

She says people have from all over have offered her a kidney. She will pull through this with God's help. But what a lady!

hotstuff (floreen)
5-Doyen
Username: floreen

Post Number: 195
Posted From: 166.68.134.175
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 10:41 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any friend of Star Jones and Viveca ..well you know she must be real sweet!

Nosey (nosey)
6-Zenith
Username: nosey

Post Number: 2260
Posted From: 66.227.68.234
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 10:06 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's on the cover of this week's Jet and she looks great but really, really, painfully thin. I wish her the best and can't help but be grateful and thankful from the news that I got yesterday about the results of my colonoscopy.

MsJoys (msjoys)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 798
Posted From: 70.250.173.72
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 6:40 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tuesday, Dec. 16th on "MyTV" at 7 p.m. (Central Time) - Natalie will be singing! It's a Christmas special. Enjoy!

MsJoys (msjoys)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 800
Posted From: 75.11.61.121
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 10:03 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reminder - tomorrow night - "Spirit of Christmas" Tradition & history of soul (2 hr.)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.