Soulful Detroit Archives - July 2008 Isaac Hayes and Dionne Warwick on "Rockford Files" Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

Soulful Chris (soulful_chris)
6-Zenith
Username: soulful_chris

Post Number: 1256
Posted From: 70.60.223.222
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 11:19 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was watching disc 1 of season 4 of one of my favorite TV shows, "The Rockford Files", last night. (That's what I do; I never watch new prime time shows anymore....sports, documentaries, movies and old TV shows.)

The fourth episode, "The Second Chance", features Isaac as recurring character "Gandy" and his lady friend, Dionne as a prospective singer.

I gotta tell you, Isaac and Dionne were incredible in this episode. Isaac was a damn good actor!!! Dionne was too! Isaac had me cracking up at times....he and James Garner were great together, as they always were in this show. They really have some funny interchanges and you can tell those two great artists/actors really respected each other and had fun with it.

Garner and Hayes would've been great as a regular detective team.....I wonder if they ever considered spinning these characters off into a regular TV show? That would've been something.

Where did Isaac and Dionne learn to act like that? They were very convincing. If I had never heard of them, I would've thought that acting was their first profession....

tresjolie (tresjolie)
6-Zenith
Username: tresjolie

Post Number: 4300
Posted From: 64.61.70.130
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 11:54 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soulful Chris- i loved the Rockford Files!!!

Glad you are enjoying the DVD set. I just got the first three Sanford and Sons DVD set.

How's the comic book coming along?!

6-Zenith

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 12:18 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got a plot I'm working on now.....need to do some breakdowns and get the layouts going.....

And yes, I've got all the Sanfords and those are great, too!

tresjolie (tresjolie)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 4301
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 12:58 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AWESOME!! I can't wait to dig in some more episodes of Sanford and Son :-)

Question- do you have a copy of the Storm series by Eric Jerome Dickey? It is a 6 part series chronicling her birth to her marriage to Black Panther.

PS_ Don Cheadle has taken over Terrence Howard's role in Iron Man 2!

Kevin Goins - KevGo (kevgo)
6-Zenith
Username: kevgo

Post Number: 3665
Posted From: 67.209.94.167
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 2:29 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chris:
Isaac had starred in two movies prior to his recurring role on the Rockford Files. The films were "Three Tough Guys" and "Truck Turner" (he played a detective in each film). Dionne was in the film "Slaves" in the late 1960s.

I recall seeing both Isaac and Dionne in the Rockford Files during the show's run on NBC-TV (Friday nights at 9pm EST, followed by "Police Woman" with Angie Dickinson!). One episode even featured Isaac's music. James Garner has said in a couple of past interviews that his favorite Rockford Files episodes were the ones he did with Isaac and Dionne.

Tresjolie:
Don Cheadle is gonna play James Rhodes in Iron Man 2?!? Did Terrence bow out of the series?

Kevin Goins - KevGo

6-Zenith

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 3:06 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kev:

I couldn't remember if those two films were before The Rockford Files or not. I have still not seen either and really want to track them down. In fact, the soundtracks make up one of the few key Isaac CDs I'm still missing.....

Isaac cracks me up calling Rockford "Rockfish." Finally at the end of the episode Isaac gets serious in a crisis and calls him "Rockford." Then Garner is like, "Rockford?" And Isaac says...."yeah...ROCKFORD." And then they get down to business. LOL.

I can definitely believe Garner said that...you can tell they are having fun and trying not to break up on camera.

Tres:

I have not seen the Storm series....of course, I only buy new comics very rarely these days (I still prefer the old stuff). I had forgotten they had Storm marry T'Challa.

I know one thing: I am anxious for Marvel to get a Black Panther Masterworks together and reprint those old Jungle Actions. "Panther's Rage" enthralled me when I was a kid, watching the Panther battle Killmonger, White Gorillas, King Cadaver and the rest.....That was one of my favorite comics when I was a kid. (And what a great movie that would make!).

I didn't realize the Rhodey role was changing hands. Surprising since "War Machine" is supposed to appear in the next IM film....

tresjolie (tresjolie)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 4302
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 3:14 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kev- TH was let go over $$$ issues. Now Don is taking over. Should be interesting since Don is a good actor.

SFC-Yeah, i hear you. I want to check it out to see how much of Storm's history they tell. Is she living in Africa with T'Challa?

Is Marvel working on a Masterworks for Black Panther?

6-Zenith

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 4:14 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supposedly.....at least it's being planned. It may be a couple of years down the road, but who knows? They've surprised me with some things so far. After all, they already have a Warlock volume out, The Defenders and a few others from the 70s.

I am certain the Panther will eventually be done......It appears they are trying to Masterwork everything which is great. Another one from the 70s I'd like to see done is Ghost Rider.

BTW....also wanted to mention that Isaac was great a few years ago in an episode of Stargate SG-1 where he played the leader of an alien race. He had really slimmed down and looked great in the part. He sure is missed....

Mark Speck (mark_speck)
6-Zenith
Username: mark_speck

Post Number: 4962
Posted From: 75.185.173.211
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 8:08 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Rockford episode with Isaac and Louis Gossett (as Marcus Haynes, Rockford's jive-turkey probation officer) was intended as a pilot for a series about their characters.

Best,

Mark

Kevin Goins - KevGo (kevgo)
6-Zenith
Username: kevgo

Post Number: 3685
Posted From: 67.209.94.167
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 5:05 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soulful Chris:
The Isaac films were made a couple of years before the Rockford Files debuted on TV in 1974. Therefore, Mr. Hayes had some decent acting experience under his belt by the time he did his turn with James Garner.

Tres:
Thanks for the 411 regarding Don Cheadle taking over the role of Jim Rhodes. Too bad Terrence couldn't work out the money issues with the studio - he was great in the first Iron Man film.

Kevin Goins - KevGo

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.