Soulful DetroitArchives - January 2008 � CON FUNK SHUN Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

Caribou Lou (cariboulou)
1-Arriviste
Username: cariboulou

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 24.99.167.67
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 2:50 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was directed to this site by a MySpace member. I was married to Con Funk Shun's founder and drummer, Louis A. McCall, for over 20 years. (He was murdered in a home invasion robbery in 1997 (http://www.theloosebook.com). In his honor, I put up a page for him on MySpace (http://www.myspace.com/adrummersdrummer) and also one for the original members of the band - the musicians responsible for the hits.

Soulful Detroit's archives has some very interesting and enlightening information about the group and some great pictures by "ChiDrummer". As the band's tour manager for their 1977 to 1979 tours, I was at the shows mentioned here and it really took me back in time.

Just wanted to say that the correct spelling of the band's name is "Con Funk Shun", not "Confunkshun". I'm kinda sensitive about that because I am the one who "tweaked" the original pushed together letters to make the name more dynamic for the album covers and their neon sign used during their live performances.

If anyone is interested in learning more about the band, especially the original seven members, not the "old school revue" which performs occasionally, please go to http://www.myspace.com/confunkshunlegacy. The dynamic Michael Cooper and Felton Pilate, along with Karl Fuller, still lead up a group of sidemen, and perform under the name "Confunkshun". They have been doing clubs and nostalgia shows since 1994. Their show consists of most of the band's hits like "Ffun", "Straight From The Heart", "Chase Me", etc. And, of course, no one can do "Love's Train" like Mike Cooper can, which is always a show stopper. The reconstituted group is very good but they lack the tight "lock" of the original rhythm section (Cedric Martin, Danny Thomas, and the late Louis McCall). Fortunately, they retained the original arrangements and dance steps, if not the charisma and trim, athletic bodies, of the "DEFINITIVE CON FUNK SHUN"!

It's been over 20 year since the entire band performed together. Many people have sent us emails requesting a "Con Funk Shun Reunion Tour". Well, that is not going to happen. Michael Cooper, for reasons known only to himself, refused to even assist me in putting together a benefit anniversary show in memory of Louis and creating a scholarship fund for college-bound students. (After I gave him the idea, he put together a "35th Anniversary Cruise", but purposely left out the guys who were with him 35 years ago! His "Ffun Cruise" should be labeled the "13th Anniversary".)

We also wanted to get the guys together to promote a comprehensive Violence Intervention Program ("VIP") since Louis was gunned down in cold-blood allegedly by a teenaged suspect. It took me 10 years of fighting the law enforcement community in Dekalb County, GA to keep the case from going cold. I finally got an indictment in January 2007. Michael Cooper had the nerve to announce the indictment in a mass email and gave a newspaper interview about the loss of his "good friend"). Yet, in the 10 years since Louis' death, Cooper never called me or Louis' children one time to see how we were doing or to offer his support in my efforts to get an arrest! This, in spite of Louis' unparalleled contribution to Con Funk Shun as band leader, negotiating the group's most lucrative performances and tours. He (and the other members) are not even mentioned in any web sites or bios created by Cooper. But, as the the band's publicist since 1974 and primary biographer, I created the "definitive" MySpace page for the founding members, including information about ALL seven of the guys who are responsible for the music, sound, image, and legacy of Con Funk Shun. I have photos, backstage passes, ticket stubs, press clippings, along with every LP and 45 that the band released. Cedric Martin (bass guitar), Danny Thomas (keyboards), Paul Harrell (sax/flute) and Karl Fuller (trumpet) helped me "fill in the blanks", making their MySpace page the definitive place for the group's history. The aforementioned guys also supported me emotionally during the years after Louis' death. I really appreciate and love them for their help. While Cooper couldn't pick up the phone, in spite of all that both Louis and I did for him, personally and professionally (he knows what I'm talking about), I bear him no ill-will. I just wanted my husband to be remembered for the superior drummer that he was and show that his contribution could NOT be erased by Michael Cooper or anyone else. At least, not as long as Cooper and his "merry band of musicians" rely on my husband's music in order to do their little shows now.

Again, it was quite an experience to come here and see the comments and photos from gigs "back in the day". Thanks for your support.

Linda Lou McCall, on behalf of:
Cedric Martin
Danny Thomas
Paul Harrell
Rev. Karl Fuller (who provides my family spiritual support)
and the late Louis A. McCall (1951 - 1997)

"Renaissance comes by the name Seven-the rebirth of life, love, liberty, and the legacy of hope. We rejoice as Seven, bringing you the music of our hearts Seven times. But it is as One that we give you our love." �

Peace and Unity

CON FUNK SHUN

Pshark (pshark)
6-Zenith
Username: pshark

Post Number: 792
Posted From: 75.36.155.51
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 5:55 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Linda,
I'm sorry of the tragic death of your husband. I first heard about it last yr. He's at peace now.My first time seeing Con Funk Shun was at the Funk Fest in 79 @ the Oakland Coliseum. Saw them again in the 90's @ Kimball's East in Emeryville
and last summer @ the Alameda County Fair. They were good but the vibe wasn't the same without all the original members. Its really sad that M Cooper has refused to help you out.I'm hoping that one day the killer(s) will be caught. We had a discussion about this at the onenationboardroom. If you care to register to share your thoughts please do so
http://www.yabbers.com/phpbb/p rofile.php?mode=register&mforu m=pfunkboardroom

Link to CON FUNK SHUN thread: http://www.yabbers.com/phpbb/v iewtopic.php?mforum=pfunkboard room&t=2827&postdays=0&postord er=asc&start=0&sid=ee58af28e8e 7aece8fb3f76d9ba947ae&mforum=p funkboardroom

For those who don't know, that was PROJECT SOUL, later CON FUNK SHUN who backed Rufus Thomas @ Wattstax. LOUIS ANTHONY McCALL on drums. RIP http://www.imeem.com/groovysho e/video/SjWwSl3o/rufus_thomas_ at_wattstax_music_video/

oli67 (ollie)
6-Zenith
Username: ollie

Post Number: 690
Posted From: 86.92.117.241
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 1:25 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda thank you, & welcome to the forum.
I'm sorry to hear about the unnecessary loss of your husband. The original Con Funk Shun albums are all in my collection, and i still enjoy everyone of them. Many people love the band & the magic they had back then. I'll check the honor page. Peace & Strength

splanky (splanky)
6-Zenith
Username: splanky

Post Number: 1767
Posted From: 72.89.116.206
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 2:39 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for posting your comments and info here, Linda. There are a lot of fans of your
husband's music on this site.

Chi Drummer (chidrummer)
6-Zenith
Username: chidrummer

Post Number: 2531
Posted From: 24.14.54.153
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 2:50 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum Linda. Stick around and join in the lively art of conversation. You'll find this forum is fascinating, friendly, frustrating, freaky and habit forming.

I met your husband and the rest of the band back in 1977 when they played the University of Cincinnati right after Ffun was released. Louis was very generous with his time and we talked drums for a bit. For the little time I spoke with him he seemed to be a very kind man with a good sense of humor.

I have additional pics of the group shot on that day that I haven't posted. If you'd like copies I'd be honored to send them to you. Just email me at chidrummer79@hotmail.com

Soulful Chris (soulful_chris)
6-Zenith
Username: soulful_chris

Post Number: 790
Posted From: 70.62.70.144
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 10:10 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum......I'm so very sorry about the loss of your talented husband and what you've been through.

I've stated elsewhere that I have become a bigger and bigger fan of Con Funk Shun with each passing year......I am consistently discovering something new and am so happy some of their LPs are finally on CD.

I'm sorry a reunion isn't working out. I will be requesting the site as a friend on my myspace page...

I sure do appreciate you posting here. All my best!!

Truth B. Told (truth_b_told)
4-Laureate
Username: truth_b_told

Post Number: 85
Posted From: 75.84.142.104
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:30 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda- Con Funk Shun is one of my all time favorite bands. The drum/bass groove of "Ffun" is one of the tunes that is responsible for me being a musician today. Your husband was brilliant and my belated condolences.

Caribou Lou (cariboulou)
1-Arriviste
Username: cariboulou

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 24.30.50.79
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 4:59 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Truth", we really appreciate your giving Louis some credit in your career. And thank you for your kinds words of support. I'd really appreciate it if you would register with MySpace.com and go to his page (www.myspace.com/adrummersdrumm er) and post your kudos in his Comments section.

Thanks again.

Linda Lou
cariboulou@comcast.net

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.