Soulful DetroitArchives - January 2008 � FRIENDS OF DISTINCTION ON ED SULLIVAN Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

Kevin Goins - KevGo (kevgo)
6-Zenith
Username: kevgo

Post Number: 2200
Posted From: 64.33.131.87
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 3:29 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Performing Grazing In The Grass (live vocals to track). Check out Jessica Cleaves rocking the mic on this one. Please view this before the lawyers find out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =PptsY2pK-yE

Kevin Goins - KevGo

Timmy Funk (timmyfunk)
6-Zenith
Username: timmyfunk

Post Number: 584
Posted From: 67.85.133.86
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 1:10 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now let's see how long it takes before Ed Sullivan's lawyers find that clip and serve the person that put that clip up with a cease and desist order.

Garo (gary_james)
6-Zenith
Username: gary_james

Post Number: 778
Posted From: 141.158.238.68
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 1:42 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed she says "sugar" at the end at the scat while he's singing "it's real, so real...". Can't hear THAT on the record!

splanky (splanky)
6-Zenith
Username: splanky

Post Number: 1424
Posted From: 71.167.225.175
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 1:52 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen that before but it was nice to see it again. I wish someone had footage of them doing other songs besides Grazin'. I'd love to see Jess doing I Really Hope You Do. She kills on that song! Hell, I'll settle for a lip-synced
version at this point...

SDF (handsome)
6-Zenith
Username: handsome

Post Number: 1923
Posted From: 76.193.187.194
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 8:33 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Y'all!

Is the other female Barbara Love (in the clip-blue dress), who sings Love Me or Let Me Be Lonely?

Handsome

Marc taylor (mellow_q)
5-Doyen
Username: mellow_q

Post Number: 380
Posted From: 64.236.245.243
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 8:56 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SDF, That is Barbara in the blue dress.

Charlene Gibson sang lead on "Lonely." The Friends of Distinction have a myspace page where you can see a performance of that song.

http://profile.myspace.com/ind ex.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewpro file&friendID=88708336

Motown_Fan (motown_fan)
6-Zenith
Username: motown_fan

Post Number: 2009
Posted From: 65.6.217.112
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 2:54 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever happened tp Charlene Gibson and Jessica Cleaves?

splanky (splanky)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 1446
Posted From: 72.89.114.16
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 4:57 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motown, Charlene was at first only a stand-in for
Barbara Love who was having a baby and decided to leave the business. Charlene was also a...how should I say this...handful...and Harry and Floyd decided to replace her. Jessica walked away from the group after a performance one day and re-surfaced in EWF, replacing Sherry Scott.
Then after several years with Maurice she walked away again, some say because she being ignored as a vocalist while Phillip Bailey was being moved to the position of being EWF's main lead,besides Maurice himself. She showed up again
as a backing vocalist in P-Funk, first appearing on their Tales of Kidd Funkadelic album. It's with George that she stayed the longest, backing a large amount of the main groups and spin off material. GC also had planned to record her as a
solo artist calling her one of the most beautiful voices he'd ever heard and in fact several tracks were recorded unfortunately he got locked in various fights and lawsuits and most of them didn't see the light of day until they were put on later compilations. After 93 Jess had some issues and left P-Funk and is now "away" from the business altogether...I wish the best for her. She's one of my favorite singers in any genre of all time......

SDF (handsome)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 1925
Posted From: 66.2.70.126
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 8:42 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Marc...thanks for the confirmation.

Splanky, thank you for the info. I had always wanted to know which group Jessica was in first, and the relation between her, Sherry Scott & EWF.

Thanks so much.

Handsome

Robbert (robbert)
6-Zenith
Username: robbert

Post Number: 675
Posted From: 145.53.28.52
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 9:22 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOVED the instrumental version of trumpet player Hugh Masekela's GITG, though... was a disco-hit "avant la lettre" in Holland in the sixties.

splanky (splanky)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 1454
Posted From: 71.167.232.12
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 8:34 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robbert, Hugh's was the original and he was not especially happy that the Friends had a bigger hit with it. Nowadays you have to get permission to add lyrics to a previously recorded composition if you want to release it but I'm not sure if that was true in 1968 when Harry Elston put words to the melody. Either way Hugh almost never acknowledges the cover to this day...

Motown_Fan (motown_fan)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 2013
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 8:41 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Splanky, thanks for the information on Jessica Cleaves.

Though I'm not as much a fan of Cleaves' vocal on I Really Hope You Do as I am of Crazy Mary.

I remember when Charlene Gibson left the Friends, they carried on as a trio for a time. They appeared on the Andy Williams show & performed Time Waits For No One. Funny the things you remember.

splanky (splanky)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 1455
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 9:05 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crazy Mary is lead by Barbara Jean Love, Motown.
They were a trio with Jessica handling the female lead on the Friends and People album...

Motown_Fan (motown_fan)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 2014
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 9:17 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crazy Mary is Barbara Love?

They should have held on to her.

splanky (splanky)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 9:43 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I understand they tried. The funny thing is Barbara is listed in some places as a member of Chapter 8, the group that Anita Baker started out in and that Carolyn Crawford spent some time in. I, myself am not entirely convinced that it's the same Barbara. I wish someone here could clear that up for me. Harry and Floyd had a talent for finding those women who could sing in that coloratura style that reminds me so much of Sarah Vaughan...

Motown_Fan (motown_fan)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 2015
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 9:54 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly. I don't know why I thought Crazy Mary was a lead by Jessica Cleaves. I had the Real Friends LP in storage. That was the LP where it listed who led which track on the back.

splanky (splanky)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 1457
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 10:02 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's an easy mistake to make. I confused the voices myself over the years as have hundreds of others over the years. I've mistaken Charlene for Barbara and for years I believed the error a lot of journalist were repeating that it was Jessica Cleaves singing EWF's I Think About Loving You. They do sound so similar...

SDF (handsome)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 1927
Posted From: 70.232.12.222
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 7:45 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Jessica the soprano & barbara is the alto?

Jessica is doing the high part of Keep your head to the sky at the end with Philip Bailey, right?

Handsome

6-Zenith

Post Number: 2206
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 12:43 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lady Mae is my favorite FOD track - from their Real Friends album.
Kevin Goins - KevGo

6-Zenith

Post Number: 2207
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 12:47 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, let me get this straight....

Barbara Love was on the first and second FOD albums (Grazin & Highly Distinct)....went on maternity leave...Charlene Gibson replaced her on the Real Friends album and then Barbara came back in time for the Ed Sullivan performance which aired on December 27, 1970 only to leave again around the time the Whatever album was released (early 1971)....whew!
Kevin Goins - KevGo

splanky (splanky)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 1467
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 1:28 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, but what's wild to me Kev is that Barbara winds up singing her last recordings in the group with her substitute! Then is gone again, this time for good. She did turn in a great performance on Didn't We. Actually, now that I think about it, the song very much describes not only her AND all of the other girls (including Diane and Dani's )tenure's with the group but the group's overall success at the time. The media often portrayed them as Fifth Dimension knock-offs. Ironic, since the guys had previously been in a group, the Hi-Fis with Marilyn McCoo.....

6-Zenith

Post Number: 2211
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:58 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Splanky:
Thanks for the 411. The FOD/5D debate has been dealt with here in the Forum as well, even though they came from the same family tree.
Kevin Goins - KevGo

Destruction (destruction)
6-Zenith
Username: destruction

Post Number: 3116
Posted From: 68.55.77.192
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 9:00 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TFunk,

Didn't take too long for the "CnD" order.....It's Gone...... We looked for it today, because the girls were singing "Going In Circles" and my youngest didn't think they were the same group that did "Grass"....which she's been loving since we first saw this clip.

zebop (zebop)
6-Zenith
Username: zebop

Post Number: 962
Posted From: 72.45.6.76
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 10:28 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gone already...

6-Zenith

Post Number: 2275
Posted From: 208.157.165.1
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 3:48 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's back, folks....enjoy before the lawmen find this again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =rys25KHJ30E

Kevin Goins - KevGo

6-Zenith

Post Number: 2278
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 1:44 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump

Kevin Goins - KevGo

Truth B. Told (truth_b_told)
2-Debutant
Username: truth_b_told

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 63.110.225.2
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 4:50 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jessica Cleaves is an alto with an incredibly full vocal range. She can hit notes like a soprano if necessary. I Really Hope You Do (one of my favorite female vocal performances ever) showcases mainly the lower parts of her range. It finally ends with some higher bits. On Earth Wind And Fire's I'd Rather Have You, Jessica starts in with her patented alto voice and by the end she soars vocally into the stratosphere. What an underrated talent!! A true vocal pioneer in that she was one of the first altos featured in straight pop/r&b music. She sounded like a woman...not a little girl. Jessica please record again!!!!!

TexasSoul (texassoul)
4-Laureate
Username: texassoul

Post Number: 122
Posted From: 98.195.27.7
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 7:05 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Timmy Funk, you were right. The vid has already been removed! @#!*#

6-Zenith

Post Number: 2280
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 11:43 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Texas Soul:
I just clicked onto the latest URL I posted - it's still there.
Kevin Goins - KevGo

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.