Soulful Detroit Archives - Club House Cornell Blakely ?? Info ?? Fulton Records ?? Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

Soulaholic (soulaholic)
6-Zenith
Username: soulaholic

Post Number: 992
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 4:55 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello All:

Picked up an interesting soul tune by Cornell Blakely - Don't touch the moon / Promise to be true on Fulton Records 2453 A & B

Sounds like an early transitional piece doo wop to soul on the a side. a bit of a swing/boogie woogie feel to the b side. Really a solid groove.

Does anybody have any info on artist and the lable Fulton ??

I have seen a little bit of info on him Bouncing Cornell Blakely the tune was made in 1958. But don't really come up with much more.

Count, Rob or any one else, any imput on this artist?

Robb_K (robb_k)
6-Zenith
Username: robb_k

Post Number: 2898
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 5:44 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cornell Blakely was a singer in a gospel choir. He wanted to change to a secular solo career. In early 1958, at the Central Baptist Church on Buchanan Street, in Detroit, he met James Hendrix- who was selling choir songs he'd written, but was also looking for secular artists to sing his R&B songs. He teamed up with Blakely, writing new songs for him. Hendrix, acting as Blakely's manager, placed a couple of songs with the local Detroit Fulton label (owned by Cornell's friend, Charles Fulton) in late 1958. Fulton had previously released several records on The Five Johnson Brothers. The latter group sang backgrounds on Blakely's Fulton recordings.

C. Blakely

Ron Murphy (ron_murphy)
5-Doyen
Username: ron_murphy

Post Number: 274
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 5:44 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the Fulton label was co-owned by Charles Fulton and James Hendrix, Mr. Hendrix also owned Carrie Records.

the back-up group on the recordings were The Johnson Brothers, as far as I know Cornell Blakelyu is still alive living in California.

Robb_K (robb_k)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 2899
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 5:45 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was the follow-up release in early 1959:

C. Blakely2

Soulaholic (soulaholic)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 994
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 5:46 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank-you gent's Very sweet tunes!

Robb_K (robb_k)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 2900
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 5:52 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

James Hendrix released Blakely's next record, in early 1960, on his own Carrie Records. I believe Ted Fowler and his band provided the music. Fowler, a long time Detroit piano-organ player, and friend of Blakely's, was later a producer at Motown for a short while.

C. Blakely3

Soulaholic (soulaholic)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 995
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 5:56 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Robb:

I see that "Waiting for my love" shows up on Shenta records and some of his tunes are out on Rich records. What is the connection there?

Robb_K (robb_k)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 2901
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 6:00 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 1961, Hendrix made a production/recording deal with Berry Gordy of Motown Records. The fact that Gordy and Hendrix had a partnership with Blakely and Hendrix had no participation in Motown, as well as the fact that Blakely's bluesy style fit in more with Tamla's 1959-60 style, rather than the smoother, more poppish "crossover style" Motown was tending towards in 1961-62, made them look to a different label. So, the Gordy/Hendrix partnership placed Blakely on independent label, Rich Records. Rich was distributed by New Orleans' Ace records in 1961.

C. Blakely4

(Message edited by Robb_K on April 23, 2005)

Robb_K (robb_k)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 2902
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 6:02 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In later 1961, Rich switched its distribution to Mercury. But, like the "Ace" Rich record, Blakely was still produced and recorded at Motown.

C. Blakely5

Robb_K (robb_k)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 2903
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 6:06 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is an early 1962 gem, produced by Mickey Stevenson:

C. Blakely6

Robb_K (robb_k)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 2904
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 6:13 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In late 1962 or very early 1963, Gordy finally brought Blakely into Motown proper. He got a recording/pressing/distribution deal with Rich Records, to press and release Blakely's records. I would say that this Rich is a Motown label, in the same sense as "Ain't That Lovin' You" by The Volumes was (Harry Balk was in partnership with Gordy on those Inferno Records, as James Hendrix was with Gordy on Blakely's product). Note Jobete Music, and the Motown DM-(Duplicate Master) number. One side was produced by Clarence Paul, the other by Mickey Stevenson. So, you see that Cornell Blakely was the "Motown artist" that few people know was a Motown artist. I didn't see any unreleased master tapes or acetates on him, when I was at Motown, but I suspect there ARE some still left "in the can". I hope an anthology CD of his work will be released, eventually.

C. Blakely7

(Message edited by Robb_K on April 24, 2005)

Robb_K (robb_k)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 2905
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 6:20 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soulaholic: I have never seen the Shenita records. I assume this was a local Detroit label owned by James Hendrix, but not sure. I've only seen the first Rich Record "You Ain't Gonna Find" listed on Shenita. I never saw any reference to his 2nd Fulton record being on Shenita (or "Shenta" -as you spelt it). I've had Cornell Blakely on Shenita on my wants list since 1968, and NO ONE HAS EVER BEEN ABLE TO SHOW ME THE RECORD, OR A PHOTOCOPY OF THE LABEL, OR PROVIDE ME INFORMATION OFF THE LABEL. I've never seen any reference to it in bios of Cornell Blakely or James Hendrix. To me, it's just a rumour at this point (just like The secular song by The Chimes on HOB and The Brian Van Holland on HOB).

Soulaholic (soulaholic)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 996
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 7:06 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robb:

Thanks once again for the additional info.

also thanks on the polite correction on the spelling.

On Gemm there is a Shenita 45 by Blakely for sale. It states thet have to order it????

Robb_K (robb_k)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 2911
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 7:21 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is Gemm? Can you direct me to it? I'd like to get that Shenita Record. Thanks.

Soulaholic (soulaholic)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 998
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 7:52 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.gemm.com/

there you go.

oldiesmusicfan (oldiesmusicfan)
6-Zenith
Username: oldiesmusicfan

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 8:35 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robb, Just out of curiosity I checked Gemm also. There are two listing for a Shenita record, one at $20.00 which they say is in stock and one at $75.00 which has to be special ordered. You can see more information by clicking on the info button at the end of each listing which then opens to more details. Notice also the 1-5 star customer service rating of the sellers. This site has a lot of different dealers, so maybe ask around here for references?

Oldies

Robb_K (robb_k)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 2915
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 8:53 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The seller is Craig Moerer-whom I used to buy records from in the early 1970s. I stopped buying in the mid '70s to today. I know he's very honest and reputable,- unless he's gone bonkers since I knew him! Thanks for the tip.

Robb_K (robb_k)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 2916
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 9:03 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The guy who has the poor reputation (One star) -who DOESN'T have it in stock, wants $75.00 for it on special order. Moerer has it on set sale M- for $20.00, and he has a five star rating! Maybe Rockhouse will buy it from Moerer if I order it from him! As we say in Nederland: "Wat en durf! - Foei!!!"

Soulaholic (soulaholic)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 9:03 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robb:

I purchase records from Craig. E-mail him and he will give you the scoop on the record. Good seller

Robb_K (robb_k)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 2917
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 9:05 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Soulaholic. I knew Craig well in the '70s, and he was the best. I'm sure he's still a great guy, now.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.