Soulful Detroit Archives - July 2007 Edwin Starr "25 Miles" Drums Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

Shane (shane)
1-Arriviste
Username: shane

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 75.37.66.224
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 1:46 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was a child 20 years ago, my parents had the 45 of "25 Miles" around the house. I listened to it often, and it got absorbed into my brain at a very young age.
Recently I found the LP, and I got to hear the stereo version of this tune with things a little more separated. The drum track to this song is just amazing. It is extremely syncopated, funky as heck, and it totally works.
I'm wondering if anyone might know who played drums on this track? My thought would be Pistol Allen, but that's a wild guess on my part. I'm also not sure if there may have been two drummers on this track. Are there any sources out there where one could look up who played what on Motown tunes?

Garo (gary_james)
6-Zenith
Username: gary_james

Post Number: 676
Posted From: 151.199.248.226
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 9:27 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shane, it's Uriel Jones. I agree with you, it's some of the best drumming on a Motown record. I think it's just him, the rest is percussion and footsteps. I suggest getting the Singing Machine Original Artist Karaoke CD with 25 Miles, it blew me away. You can hear the track without the vocal, it's a very clear re-master and his fine drumming is very clear. He really cooks on the middle part, Jack Ashford's tambourine is terrific too!
There is a thread in the archives where Uriel lists it among his favorites.

Chi Drummer (chidrummer)
6-Zenith
Username: chidrummer

Post Number: 2279
Posted From: 64.27.145.82
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 9:42 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's just the grand Mr. Jones all by himself. The track had tremendous forward momentum. The fills at the break are just perfect.

And take Jack Ashford's tambourine playing out of any Motown tune and the song would not be the same. It's that important.

boba (boba)
6-Zenith
Username: boba

Post Number: 421
Posted From: 208.252.128.18
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 6:49 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The drums on "struggling man" from the same LP are also awesome.

Shane (shane)
1-Arriviste

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 7:10 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks you guys! I had a friend who was telling me about some sort of a karaoke CDs that had the original recordings on it, but I never was able to find them... I'm going to pick that up now that I've found them online. Thanks again!

King Curtis (king_curtis)
4-Laureate
Username: king_curtis

Post Number: 137
Posted From: 24.131.185.93
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 7:21 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't listened to this song in over a decade...thanks for the reminder!

stubass (stubass)
6-Zenith
Username: stubass

Post Number: 5776
Posted From: 64.60.76.35
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 8:40 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of Jack Ashford's greatest Motown tambo performances was on another Edwin Starr track..."War"!!!...

STUBASS

Shane (shane)
1-Arriviste

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 10:57 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got that karaoke CD in the mail today. The 25 Miles instrumental track is worth the price of admission alone. Great great stuff.

Garo (gary_james)
6-Zenith
Username: gary_james

Post Number: 684
Posted From: 151.201.157.20
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 11:17 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew you'd like it, Shane! I have almost the whole series, a great listening experience. Jack Ashford said that in the old days, his tambourine was picked up by the crash symbol mike. Imagine him standing next to Uriel on 25 Miles!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.