Soulful DetroitArchives - July 2007 � Otis Redding body recovery pic Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

SoulLover79 (soullover79)
5-Doyen
Username: soullover79

Post Number: 384
Posted From: 208.208.194.10
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 3:17 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad and I had a long discussion about Otis Redding the other day, and he told me when Otis passed, they ran photos of his body being lifted from the water in his seat in Jet and on TV reports. I went out online and actually found one such photo. I was absolutely horrified ... I mean, that seems so insensitive to the family, friends and fans. My mother told me it made her sick to her stomach - literally - when she saw it. And the photo I found was not gruesome or anything, but i just could not believe that.

I had a similar reaction when I went to the Rock Hall a few years back in Cleveland and saw pieces of the plane, the jacket he wore when he died, and the death certificate. It nearly brought me to tears - I had to walk away from the exhibit.

If any of you saw this photo at the time of his death, what was your initial reaction?

JAI NANCE (rhythm66)
6-Zenith
Username: rhythm66

Post Number: 4269
Posted From: 138.238.41.25
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 3:24 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THE PRESS HAS NO SHAME,THEY WILL DO ANYTHING TO SELL THOSE PAPERS OR HAVE THE EXCLUSIVE 6 O'CLOCK COVERAGE,SADLY THAT'S THE WAY IT IS,IF THEY HAD BEEN AROUND YOU WOULD HAVE SEEN FIRST HAND PHOTOS OF CAIN KILLING ABLE!

abfan (abfan)
6-Zenith
Username: abfan

Post Number: 1098
Posted From: 72.91.250.62
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 4:08 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh thank god you didnt post it.My mother told me the same thing,I wouldnt want to see it.I have a weak mind and stomach already .I would never get that image out of my head.I call the media attention seekers,They have no class and grace

Reese (reese)
6-Zenith
Username: reese

Post Number: 1336
Posted From: 204.152.13.201
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 4:33 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was only a baby at the time. But I have since seen the picture of Otis being pulled from the plane. They showed it during the E! True Hollywood Story on him. Its also included in a music book, the title of which escapes me at the moment.

As sad as it was to see such a picture, Otis' photo isn't as gruesome as the photo of Sam Cooke laying dead on the floor in that motel office. A magazine published it when the first book about Sam was released, and I was shocked.

kamasu (kamasu)
6-Zenith
Username: kamasu

Post Number: 4958
Posted From: 65.54.97.150
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 11:35 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The photos were pretty horrifying. I've seen them. Otis was very bloated and still strapped to his seat one of the photos I saw.

(Message edited by kamasu on August 31, 2007)

Kevin Goins - KevGo (kevgo)
6-Zenith
Username: kevgo

Post Number: 1891
Posted From: 64.33.131.123
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 12:15 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jet Magazine published the photos of the searchers recovering Otis' body. I saw the magazine in my uncle's study and almost lost my dinner. From that point on, I understand why families of celebrities try their damndest to keep matters like this away from the media.
Kevin Goins - KevGo

mr_june (mr_june)
6-Zenith
Username: mr_june

Post Number: 811
Posted From: 208.49.131.4
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 10:21 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somebody at least post a link so we can judge for ourselves. I felt bad seeing Sam Cooke sitting on the floor dead with nothing on but a sports jacket. You can find that picture stories and more of other celebrities here http://www.findadeath.com/ Again, it made me sad and melancholy to go through that website.

Just click on "directory" (left side of screen)if you don't automatically get an alphabetic directory.

SoulLover79 (soullover79)
5-Doyen
Username: soullover79

Post Number: 391
Posted From: 208.208.194.10
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 10:28 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the Sam Cooke one during the "Mysteries and Scandals" thing on E! Television. That was bad ... I was surprised such a photo saw the light of day.

Tony Russi (tony_russi)
6-Zenith
Username: tony_russi

Post Number: 2527
Posted From: 70.152.214.206
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 11:04 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vividly remember the photo of Otis strapped in his seat,however, in the newspaper at that time the pix was kinda fuzzy.Newspapers at that time were still really newspapers & not so much like the National Enquier or Globe like they have become.

Soulful Chris (soulful_chris)
5-Doyen
Username: soulful_chris

Post Number: 364
Posted From: 70.62.70.144
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 11:13 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw this at some point (don't remember where) but agree that it was sickening and something I'd rather not encounter in the future.

Not how you want to remember him, that's for sure....

Stu-62 (stu62)
5-Doyen
Username: stu62

Post Number: 360
Posted From: 24.127.174.10
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 3:07 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was privileged to see Otis live in concert several times. So no photo, however gruesome, will ever effect my memories of the man. He was just an amazing, joyful performer. I've got dreams to remember. Stu-62

Charise (mistrivia1)
6-Zenith
Username: mistrivia1

Post Number: 3619
Posted From: 76.204.177.149
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 3:22 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember seeing the picture of the coroner standing over him when I was young, very young and then later on a little older, in the JET magazine my family had and still have. I have looked at it from time to time. I don't think it so much gruesome, but it's the fact that you don't expect to ever see people you love or admire in a state of death, certainly not how they died.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.