Soulful DetroitArchives - July 2007 � I NEED HELP ABOUT THE MODULATIONS. Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

moonbeam (moonbeam)
6-Zenith
Username: moonbeam

Post Number: 743
Posted From: 64.12.116.18
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 9:07 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I MAY HAVE ASKED THIS BEFORE, BUT I WAS DOING RESEARCH ON THE MODULATIONS RECENTLY,AND I FOUND OUT THAT THERE ARE 2 DIFFERENT GLEN JONES. THE GLEN JONES I THOUGHT WAS THE LEADER OF THE SONG "CANT FIGHT YOUR LOVE' IS NOT WHO I THOUGHT WAS THE LEAD. THE GLEN JONES I THOUGHT WAS THE LEAD IS ACTUALLY A GOSPEL SINGER WHO FORMED HIS OWN MODULATIONS AT AGE 14. IS THIS TRUE? CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IS THIS IS TRUE?

Juicefree20 (juicefree20)
6-Zenith
Username: juicefree20

Post Number: 9148
Posted From: 24.47.225.121
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 10:01 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Moonbeam,

That Glen Jones was the one who became famous though his '80s hits "Show Me", "Bring Back Your Love" & "Finesse".

JSmith (jsmith)
6-Zenith
Username: jsmith

Post Number: 809
Posted From: 195.93.21.138
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 12:56 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I guess the track included on the Numero CD 'Good God! A Gospel Funk Hymnal' --
...This Old World Is Going D... by the Modulations -- features THE Glen Jones on lead vocals ??

No Place Like Motown (no_place_like_motown)
5-Doyen
Username: no_place_like_motown

Post Number: 279
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 4:54 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moonbeam,

There were two groups who went by the name the Modulations, one was a gospel group, which Glenn Jones was a member of, and the other was the 70's R&B group who sang "I Can't Fight Your Love" (one of the greatest 70's R&B songs ever recorded IMO).

The members of the R&B group were: Larry Allen, Hoyal Saunders, Henry Channelle and Larry Duncan.

roger (roger)
6-Zenith
Username: roger

Post Number: 1687
Posted From: 217.40.169.129
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 5:18 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello folks ..

This is one of those oft asked questions on SDF!!

Interestingly "Its Rough Out Here" by THE MODULATIONS ( i.e. the '70s R&B vocal group ) is on the latest compilation issued by Soul Brother records in their "Wants List" series .... "The Wants List Volume 3". The booklet notes make the classic mistake of stating that GLENN JONES was in the group!!

I bought a copy of "The Wants List Volume 3" last week in their shop in Putney, South West London .. if I'd known about this error at the time maybe I could have had a good old moan and have got it at a discount!! LOL!!

Here is the link to the Soul-Brother website

http://www.soulbrother.co.uk/

"The Wants List Volume 3" is in the latest releases section.

Incidentally, the arrangement for the track No_Place_Like_Motown mentions .. "I Can't Fight Your Love" was later used by producer VINCE MONTANA on "Dance A Little Bit Closer" by CHARO, which was released on Salsoul around 1977.

Roger

tom_moulton (tom_moulton)
6-Zenith
Username: tom_moulton

Post Number: 778
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 11:02 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Modulations were a Philly group that Bob Curington produced and Vince Montana arranged. I was doing a lot of work for Bob back then and I had the opportunity to mix most of the album back then and I never could understand why that group wasn't bigger then they were. I can't Fight Your Love is still one of my favorites. Vince later used the basic arrangement for his Charo version of Dance A Little Bit Closer.

moonbeam (moonbeam)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 745
Posted From: 205.188.116.18
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 12:54 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TOM COULD YOU TELL ME WHO WAS THE GRAVELED VOICE MEMBER IN THE GROUP ON I CANT FIGHT YOUR LOVE?

moonbeam (moonbeam)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 746
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 12:55 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THANX EVERYONE FOR THE INFORMATION,BECAUSE IVE BEEN WONDERING ABOUT THIS FOR A WHILE.

Phil (phil)
6-Zenith
Username: phil

Post Number: 837
Posted From: 83.157.121.156
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 2:00 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The LP has been reissued, you can get it at $8.99 from Dusty Groove .

ki

How is it possible that such a talented group had only one LP ?

What did they become ?

moonbeam (moonbeam)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 748
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 2:44 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THE SAME THING I SAY ABOUT THE FUTURES TO ME THEY SHOULD HAVE GONE FURTHER.

tom_moulton (tom_moulton)
6-Zenith
Username: tom_moulton

Post Number: 781
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 4:04 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never got to meet the guys. I always wanted to because of that gravel voiced singer. I always imagined what he looked like. They left off some of the songs on the CD. I am sure I have them somewhere. I usually keep a copy of everything I was involved with. Still can't figure out why Hopelessly In Love, I Can't Fight Your Love and Your Love Has Me Locked Up are in mono on that CD? I check my copies and they are all stereo mixes. The Futures I got to meet once. I worked on their Buddah single. They were on so many different labels. Another group I thought would be a big Philly group. I should ask Bob Curington about them as well. He was involved with them for a while.

moonbeam (moonbeam)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 750
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 10:39 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes TOM. THE FUTURES SHOULD HAVE BEEN BIG.I LOVE THEIR SONG PART TIME PARTY MAN, AND LOVE ON A WINDY HILL

No Place Like Motown (no_place_like_motown)
5-Doyen
Username: no_place_like_motown

Post Number: 285
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 6:17 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's another chapter in the Modulations story.

On a recent compilation I bought there was a track by the Modulations called "Never Too Late". I knew the song wasn't from their 1975 Buddah LP since I own the CD.

I did a search on Amazon and found the song was from an out-of-print CD released in Japan in 2001 called "Moving In The Right Direction". "Never Too Late" sounds as if it were recorded in the late 70's. Also of interest is that on the Amazon page it states..."features Willie Lester & Rodney Brown." I'm familiar with Willie & Rodney as producers for Gayle Adams, Sharon Redd, Bobby Thurston on Prelude Records and Evelyn 'Champagne' King' in the early 80's. More than likely they probably produced this LP, but then again there's also the possibility that Willie & Lester could have even been members of this grouping of Modulations.

Tom or someone in the know, do you know anything about this release, who was involved in the production and if this was the same group that recorded for Buddah? It's a shame that it's out of print, I'd love to get my hands on this CD if I can find it!

Here's the link for the Amazon page:

http://www.amazon.com/Moving-R ight-Direction-Modulations/dp/ B00000JX6H/ref=sr_1_5/103-1181 228-7202217?ie=UTF8&s=music&qi d=1188037748&sr=1-5

(Message edited by No Place Like Motown on August 25, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.