Soulful DetroitArchives - July 2007 � Ex Drifter dies in Oxford, UK Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

JSmith (jsmith)
6-Zenith
Username: jsmith

Post Number: 759
Posted From: 195.93.21.138
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 12:32 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The obituary of Clarence 'Tex' Walker appeared in today's Oxford Mail. By all accounts he died in the local Radcliffe Hospital after suffering a heart attack at the Kings Arms Hotel in Woodstock.
The obit says he was born in Winston-Salem, Nth Carolina where he was lead vocalist in his home town's top gospel choir.
He was drafted & sent to Vietnam in the 60's but on his discharge returned to the US and joined Bill Pinkney's Drifters as lead vocalist. In this capacity he recorded with the group and 2 singles were released on the Game label.
He then joined the Coasters (maybe one of the 'other' sets of Coasters) and in 1990 came to the UK as lead singer for Big Joe Turners Band (to support BB King at the Royal Albert Hall). He was lead vocalist on 2 BJT albums; 'Big Joe Turner's Memphis Blues Caravan' & 'French Connection'.
By all accounts he had lived in Jericho, Oxford for many years (an old terrace house area of the city where many episodes of the top UK TV series "Inspector Morse" were filmed). There he became an active member of the local community and was a regular performer at Oxford Blues nights. In fact he had performed at a blues night in Woodstock on the Friday before his death.
In my role as an civil engineer for Oxford City Council, I spent quite a lot of time working in the Jericho area, but was never aware that an old soul singer lived there. SHAME, I would have loved to have spent time chatting with him about his music career experiences.
........Anyone here know more about his music biz experiences.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.