Soulful DetroitArchives - July 2007 � Isaac Hayes' Background Singers Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

nativegirl (nativegirl)
3-Pundit
Username: nativegirl

Post Number: 58
Posted From: 136.1.1.154
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 8:56 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone identify the ladies from the PBS Stax special that were singing background for Ike on the "Walk On By" live version and also the ladies in the studio singing "Hypo.....?" (y'all know the rest of the song! LOL.

kamasu (kamasu)
6-Zenith
Username: kamasu

Post Number: 4777
Posted From: 75.66.38.199
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 10:05 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What up Hula Girl? That bit of film had me rolling.

The ladies were rounded up for that promotioal film on that day only, according to Isaac. They were lip-synching or moving their mouths to vocals that had been recorded by Pat Lewis and others.

The ladies backing Isaac on the live version of Walk On By were Pat, Diane and I believe a singer named Rose. They did sing on the studio recording.

(Message edited by kamasu on August 03, 2007)

TexasSoul (texassoul)
4-Laureate
Username: texassoul

Post Number: 112
Posted From: 98.195.27.7
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 5:31 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the background singers were Pat Lewis, her sister Diane and Rose Williams, AKA Hot Buttered Soul. Here is some info I found on Pat Lewis' website:

In 1969, Don Davis owner of United Sound Recording Studio (writer/producer for Stax Records) called �The Group� for yet another session which was for Isaac Hayes� album �Hot Buttered Soul.� Pat was hired to arrange and record background vocals. When the album was released it was a hit. Isaac called �The Group� and asked if they wanted to travel with him. Pat gave Aretha Franklin her notice and �The Group� became �Hot Buttered Soul.� While working with Don Davis and Isaac Hayes, �Hot Buttered Soul� recorded background vocals for many of Stax artists. �Hot Buttered Soul� remained with Isaac Hayes from 1969 to 1982 as his opening act and his studio group. They went on world tours and appeared on TV shows nationally and abroad. Pat continued to arrange all background vocals but was not given credit until a later date. During Isaac�s off time, �Hot Buttered Soul� traveled with Aretha Franklin and Rick Dees �Disco Duck.�

In 1972, �Hot Buttered Soul� moved to Memphis. In 1974 they added a fourth group member, Barbara McCoy, a former member of the �Chantels.� They then became �Hot Buttered Soul Unlimited.� Pat also worked for Shoe Productions where she did commercials for several products. Singing became scarce due to Isaac�s career difficulties, so Pat and Diane moved back to Detroit, but still worked with Isaac off and on.

Weldon A. Mc Dougal III (weldon)
6-Zenith
Username: weldon

Post Number: 1077
Posted From: 68.80.35.53
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 6:57 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when I was at a PBS taping Pat told me she worked with Isaac,......here she is still getting down,

Pshark (pshark)
5-Doyen
Username: pshark

Post Number: 196
Posted From: 76.201.168.73
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 1:18 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hot Buttered Soul also sang on Funkadelic's America Eats Its Young lp.

Davie Gordon (davie_gordon)
6-Zenith
Username: davie_gordon

Post Number: 1038
Posted From: 80.195.135.54
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 2:06 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another George Clinton connection - Rose Williams did a version of "Whatever Makes My Baby Feel Good' on a one-shot label called Funkadelic. If I remember rightly he used a copy of the single in the court hearings to prove that he'd originated the name Funkadelic. I hadn't made the connection to Hot Buttered Soul before reading this thread.
Rose Williams' single's from '67, probably a good
eighteen months before the first Funkadelic (the band)release.

Texassoul, the group Barbara MCcoy was in before
HBS is almost definitely The Charmels not The
Chantels. The Charmels had a few singles on Volt.
"The Chantels" was probably a typo somewhere along the line.

Davie

Pshark (pshark)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 207
Posted From: 76.204.26.80
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 7:21 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bass player Billy Bass Nelson actually came up with the name Funkadelic. Here's the Rose Williams George Clinton & The Funkedelics single:

Notice the original spelling of Funkadelic.
Here's Pat Lewis in the studio w/G. Clinton,Sandra Feva, Gary Shider & Robert Peanut Johnson :http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u7/Sharkadelic/StuffsnThangs008.jpg

Jimmy Mack (luke)
6-Zenith
Username: luke

Post Number: 3204
Posted From: 64.12.116.18
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 8:00 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pat is now lead singer of the Original Vandellas.

Davie Gordon (davie_gordon)
6-Zenith
Username: davie_gordon

Post Number: 1054
Posted From: 80.195.135.54
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 8:02 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Pshank, thanks for the correction - I bow to your superior knowledge of things Funkedelic.
I'd never really noticed the spelling of the label
name until you pointed it out.

Davie

Pshark (pshark)
5-Doyen

Post Number: 210
Posted From: 76.204.26.80
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 9:25 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still learning new P-Funk stuff all the time Davie. Some of the stuff I learned is from this very site. I think that George did try to take credit for the Funkadelic name, which has gotten Billy P'd off.

Spyder Turner (spyder_turner)
6-Zenith
Username: spyder_turner

Post Number: 1033
Posted From: 76.232.148.119
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:08 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PAT ALSO HAS A INTERNET RADIO SHOW ALONG WITH THE VANDELLAS
WWW.HITSVILLERADIO.COM

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.