Soulful DetroitArchives - January 2007 � Jimmy outler of the soul stirrers? Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

the classic master (the_classic_master)
5-Doyen
Username: the_classic_master

Post Number: 331
Posted From: 71.249.68.110
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 4:24 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i need some info on the former lead singer of the soul stirrers, did he record any solo soul or gospel sides, i heard he was killed in 1967. can anyone elaborate on this subject? thank u very much!

sunset traveler (sunset_traveler)
3-Pundit
Username: sunset_traveler

Post Number: 43
Posted From: 81.131.10.206
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 3:01 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimmy Outler made just one solo secular recording - "It's All Over" (Duke 396) - a pleasing midtempo piece that's worth looking out for.

He joined the Brooklyn All Stars for a short spell around 1967 working under the name Jimmy Lee. He recorded a few things with the group for the Nashboro label including the beautiful "How Long Has It Been" where his lead vocal is immediately recognisable.

Outler was reputedly something of a loose cannon and finally met his end in a knife fight. Can't tell you the date of his demise, but I've always assumed it was around 1967/68.

5-Doyen

Post Number: 335
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 3:45 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sunset traveler, didn't his brother kill him? i tried to google info on him but i couldn't find anything on him.

3-Pundit

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 213.122.46.44
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 7:44 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only information I have on Jimmy's death was that he was killed in a knife fight. I've not seen any mention of his brother being involved, although I'm sure it's entirely possible.

Tony Heilbut has this to say on the subject -

"An ex-fruit picker, Outler couldn't adjust to the two-bit glamour and back room temptations. He kept getting in trouble over women, and in 1967 was accidentally killed in a fight."

5-Doyen

Post Number: 339
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 8:17 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok. i hope somebody here can give more details, this is very interesting! thanks sunset traveler!

5-Doyen

Post Number: 341
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 9:11 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sunset traveler, thanks for the info! do u know if any of his stuff is available on cd?

3-Pundit

Post Number: 45
Posted From: 213.122.33.245
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 8:55 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Classic master, I don't think his Duke 45 has ever appeared on CD, unless UK Goldmine put it out on one of their NS compilations, however a couple of his tracks with the Brooklyn All Stars have. Check out "The Best Of The Brooklyn All Stars" CD on AVI, which includes the excellent "How Long Has It Been" and "I Need The Lord". Many of the other Nashboro tracks have Hardie Clifton on lead and he has a fine voice too.

As you're probably aware, many of Jimmy Outler's Sar recordings with the Soul Stirrers appeared on the Sar Records Story box set a while back. Copies are still circulating if you don't have it.

5-Doyen

Post Number: 342
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:17 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks sunset, i do own the sar cd box set!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.