Soulful DetroitArchives - January 2007 � Soul Train 1970's dancers! Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

SoulDooWopRnBLady (souldoowoprnblady)
2-Debutant
Username: souldoowoprnblady

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 205.188.116.134
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 5:41 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After watching The Best of Soul Train these past months I've been entertained more by an era before my time then my own era which is today's era. I never was a fan of Soul Train of the 1990's and of the new century. The women just shaking their behinds and show off their looks and just on there to be discovered and the men were just hogging the camera. Soul Train became a beauty show instead of a dance show. I see now the dancers lost that wow, energy, and togetherness that the 70's dancers had.

I never seen a Soul Train episode from the 70's until recently so I felt the way black people felt in the 70's seeing their own people with real talent, real dancing, and real style...I was in awe. Soul Train was the first and only national black dance show and I can see it's historic value. Soul Train came at the right time in the 70's, it was a time to celebrate for blacks, the 70's was a time to celebrate their beauty, achievements, power, and finally love themselves and I feel Soul Train featured that beautifully. I look at the blacks on Soul Train and I can relate to them more then I can relate to blacks of my own generation.

I would love to know who some of the dancers were and what became of them, Pat Davis, Diane Brunner, Diana Thompson, Sharon Hill, Vicki Abercrombie, Thelma Davis, Lisa Jones, Fawn Quinones, Lil Joe Chism, Tyrone Swann, Tyrone Proctor, James Phillips? There's hardly no info on them and in my opinion they are legends in their own right. I'm surprised a book or documentary hasn't been written on them. They were true entertainers. If it wasn't for the dancers, the show wouldn't have been such a success. I sometimes wish there was a Soul Train in the 1960's, many black artists didn't get a chance to appear on televison unless they were crossover (Motown). Most of the dance shows of the 60's were usually white, black youth at that time didn't have a dance show to tune in to to see people who looked like them and represented their style, dancing, and music. I would have loved to see how the gang would have danced to the 60's Soul. The Soul Train gang help make 70's Soul exceptional, just to see people dancing to that great music makes the music even greater so just think if there was a Soul Train in the 60's, so many great dance tnes.

(Message edited by souldoowoprnblady on June 17, 2007)

(Message edited by souldoowoprnblady on June 17, 2007)

Motown_Fan (motown_fan)
6-Zenith
Username: motown_fan

Post Number: 1231
Posted From: 75.66.38.199
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 8:09 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This topic comes up often on SDF. There was a Yahoo group devoted to the Soul Train Dancers.

Dancers like Joe Chism, Tyrone Swann and some of the female dancers are deceased...some were casualties of the Aids epidemic.

SoulLover79 (soullover79)
5-Doyen
Username: soullover79

Post Number: 226
Posted From: 208.208.194.10
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 9:13 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember about three years ago I was in a bookstore in Philly, and they had a coffee table book on the beauty of black men in there. Nothing crude or anything, just tasteful shots of the development of black men's style from way back when up through present day. One of the photos was of the Soul Train dancer Randy (the one who danced with Cheryl on the episode with Gloria Gaynor). I just thought that was really interesting and I wonder whatever happened to him. Hopefully he has not passed on too. I think a doc would be good, because there have been a couple of those episodes from the 80s in which I remembered the dancers more than the groups! (Lace anyone? LOL) Plus the dancers were just a big part of the show's appeal and they don't get their due. I didn't watch it much after 89 or 90 because videos realy became dominant for my generation... but the ones from the days when I was little were lots of fun.

moonbeam (moonbeam)
6-Zenith
Username: moonbeam

Post Number: 558
Posted From: 64.12.116.139
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 12:11 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

were lisa jones,thelma davis, and vicky ambercrombie amomg the casualties? i not to long ago saw pat davis and damita jo freeman on a soul train reunion party website. they all looked great.

fayette (msshonuff4u)
6-Zenith
Username: msshonuff4u

Post Number: 530
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 6:22 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

one of the whispers said he was married to a
soul train dancer anybody know which one. i think
it was scotty

caliluv (caliluv)
4-Laureate
Username: caliluv

Post Number: 156
Posted From: 66.54.196.226
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 1:57 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there is a soul train reunion dvd on amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Reunion- Party-Featuring-Former-Dancers /dp/B000M6QR04

moonbeam (moonbeam)
6-Zenith
Username: moonbeam

Post Number: 559
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 6:06 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I THINK IT WAS LEVEIL DEGREE. I KNOW THAT SOUL TRAIN DANCER SHARON HILL HAD A MAD CRUSH ON HIM. THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO HAVE EVEN DATED.

5-Doyen

Post Number: 230
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 8:45 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of dancers, wasn't Dennis Edwards married to the chic on Solid Gold with the long braids, Darcell? I seem to recall my family having a Jet back in the day with them on the cover ....

Motown_Fan (motown_fan)
6-Zenith
Username: motown_fan

Post Number: 1255
Posted From: 75.66.38.199
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 9:42 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darcell was a dancer on Solid Gold. She married Temptation Glenn Leonard.

I believe they are still married.

5-Doyen

Post Number: 231
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 10:48 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Motown, I thought she was married to one of them. Man I used to love that show. Cooley was my favorite - he made me want to breakdance!!!!!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.