Soulful Detroit Archives - January 2007 Sammy Strain Suing O'Jays Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

SoulLover79 (soullover79)
4-Laureate
Username: soullover79

Post Number: 116
Posted From: 208.208.194.10
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 9:05 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you guys here that Sammy Strain is suing the O'Jays, and Gamble and Huff for unpaid royalties? I always hate to see things like this happen, as I guess we all would to believe in the fantasy that these groups/producers stay close, like the brothers they used to be. I hope it does not get too messy.

Nish (nish)
6-Zenith
Username: nish

Post Number: 2246
Posted From: 216.9.250.6
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 9:18 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did not hear that, that's unfortunate. However, the 'fantasy' is largely one imposed by fans. Grown men and women, business propositions all around. These conflicts should be anticipated.

In any case, I hope it is sorted out in a way that is agreeable to all the litigants.

Florence Thompkins (fjt)
4-Laureate
Username: fjt

Post Number: 145
Posted From: 12.108.97.218
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 9:57 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was in the Philly newspaper yesterday. He's suing the O'Jays and Gamble & Huff for $15 million for royalties he never received for the 15 years he was with the group.

(Message edited by fjt on March 02, 2007)

Marc taylor (mellow_q)
5-Doyen
Username: mellow_q

Post Number: 308
Posted From: 128.59.45.53
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 9:58 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the same thing in this morning's NY Post

Kris Peterson (ribalda)
6-Zenith
Username: ribalda

Post Number: 1316
Posted From: 68.79.119.133
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 10:33 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OOWWWW!!!....a million a year. Ouch!!

Kris

JAI NANCE (rhythm66)
6-Zenith
Username: rhythm66

Post Number: 3692
Posted From: 138.238.41.120
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 10:35 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AS THE O'JAYS THEMSELVES MIGHT SAY...FOR THE LOVE OF MONEY!

Tony Russi (tony_russi)
6-Zenith
Username: tony_russi

Post Number: 2245
Posted From: 74.230.87.201
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 10:59 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Sammy Strain, however, from what I can remember(I am old now), "Use To Be My Girl" was really the only BIG hit he was on.I wonder how his attorneys are calculating this.I wouldn't think he could collect for royalties for hits prior to his joining the group.

Treble Clef (treble_clef)
5-Doyen
Username: treble_clef

Post Number: 271
Posted From: 205.188.116.69
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 11:24 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The article said he was on "Forever Mine" as well. A few others that come to mind are "Loving You" and " Your's Bodies Here With Me (But Your Mind Is On The Other Side of Town) as far as PIR. But then he could also get Eddie and Walt for "Emotionally Yours" and "Let me Touch You"

moonbeam (moonbeam)
6-Zenith
Username: moonbeam

Post Number: 437
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 2:04 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FIRST OF ALL I LOVE SAMMY STRAIN. AND NOT BECAUSE HE IS FROM THE STUY LIKE ME. LOL. BUT I THINK HE SHOULD NOT SUE THE O'JAYS BUT SUE THE POWERS THAT BE. I DONT THINK EDDIE LEVERT AND WALTER WILLIAMS SHOULD BE SUES. AND MR LEVERT SHOULD NOT HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS NOW, CONSIDERING THE LOSS HE JUST SUFFERED.BUT SAMMY I HOPE ALL GOES WELL.

tresjolie (tresjolie)
6-Zenith
Username: tresjolie

Post Number: 3438
Posted From: 65.121.233.122
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 2:06 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read it in the NY Post too.

What i want to know is why he is waiting all these years to finally decide he is entitled to any money? He may not be entitled to any monies depending on the statute of limitations concerning these cases.

mr_june (mr_june)
6-Zenith
Username: mr_june

Post Number: 596
Posted From: 208.49.131.4
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 2:22 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does this have to do with what songs he sang on? If so, didn't he sing on just about all of the O'Jays stuff? I remember him singing on the 'In Philadelphia,' album (my favorite one) on songs such as 'I've Got The Groove," remember his line "In My Back Pocket."

Tony Russi (tony_russi)
6-Zenith
Username: tony_russi

Post Number: 2248
Posted From: 74.230.87.201
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 2:31 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't think the whole groups record royalties as an artist would total 15 million!Sammy did not not join the group until 76 or 77.I had met him in 75 in LA when he was married to singer Yvonne Fair.In 75 he worked at a record distributor.

4-Laureate

Post Number: 117
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 2:54 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But if he joined in the mid 70s - I have seen clips with him singing with them as early as 1975/76 ("I Love Music" on "Soul Train") so how is it that he was only on a handful of songs? That can't be right.

GEETEE(HPK) (geeteehpk)
6-Zenith
Username: geeteehpk

Post Number: 813
Posted From: 69.209.233.185
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 3:23 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sad to hear this. Sammy should be in better shape (financially wise) rejoining Little Anthony & the Imperials. (wasn't he a original member of that group?)

Marc taylor (mellow_q)
5-Doyen
Username: mellow_q

Post Number: 309
Posted From: 128.59.45.53
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 3:27 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sammy Strain probably came in on the album that had "Message in Our Music" and "Darlin' Darlin' Baby" on it. That was in the fall of '76. To expand on Tony Russi's comment, "Use Ta Be My Girl" was the last O'Jays' song to get any significant crossover success and was their last gold single. The O'Jays continued to sell well in the R&B market.

Songs like "Forever Mine," "Sing a Happy Song" "Lovin' You," and "Have You Had Your Love Today' (I think that's the name of it) did well on the R&B charts, but that was about it. If any of their albums beyond 1976 went gold, it was as a result of sales to the black audiences.

The story in the Post made it seem like he was taken advantage of because he's from the hood and didn't know any better. I have a problem with this. Didn't SS spend many years with Little Anthony / Imperials before he joined the O'Jays? By the time he got to the O'Jays, many veteran artists from his era realized that they had been jerked around and were starting to handle their business a little better. The only problem was that their commercial run, by now, was over. However, the O'Jays were one of few R&B groups from the 70s to attain a good chunk of their popularity into the 1980s and beyond, especially after the formation of Levert.

I agree that $15 million is a bit high. I don't think Eddie Levert and Walter Williams are sitting on that kind of money. They didn't write any of the 70s classics. Gerald Levert studied the situation that his father was in. That's why he got into writing and production. He saw that that's where the $ is at.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

4-Laureate

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 3:46 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Marc. I didn't understand that either ... he was very much a veteran by that time. That was the first thing that went through my brain. And I also wonder why now ... why did he wait so long to go after them.

NY-DELL-1 (nydell)
4-Laureate
Username: nydell

Post Number: 97
Posted From: 38.117.188.10
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 4:39 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most new members to a "Established" group, don't even get a full Share.....YES....SS was a veteran, but there are many more questions that we would need answered to understand WHY at this point in time he's taking the legal route. He may have been promised money for years and just got fed up and decided to take it to the courts....we have no way of knowing. But this type of thing happens in many groups sometimes with the original members finding out that they may have been short changed for years. Eddie and Walter may not have 15 Million but their individual worth and The O'Jay's name shouldn't be far from that figure.

CJGBATWM (cjgbatwm)
3-Pundit
Username: cjgbatwm

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 11:05 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The O'jays are still one of my favorite groups. It's so sad that Sammy has to go this route. However, the business part of show business has taken over the industry. I want to remember the happy times of days long gone. Although he was a replacement member he should be entitled to some compensation. Most replacements only get paid for the live gigs that they do. No royalties on records. Unless they write and produce the new material that they record. For years we've all see acts on stage smiling looking happy. Little do we know what's going on behind the smile.

Charise (mistrivia1)
6-Zenith
Username: mistrivia1

Post Number: 3260
Posted From: 68.123.41.29
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 4:38 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is sad, I hope all goes well and that all parties can go on and grow from this, without malice. William Powell was replaced by Sammy Strain on the road in '76, but he still recorded with the group up until his passing in '77. his last recorded work was on the "Message In The Music" album.

(Message edited by Mistrivia1 on March 04, 2007)

Motown_Fan (motown_fan)
6-Zenith
Username: motown_fan

Post Number: 868
Posted From: 75.66.38.199
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 9:31 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But shouldn't Sammy Strain really be suing the music publishers and record labels? Unless the O'Jays' royalties go into a collective account. I'm afraid I don't understand this suit.

dvdmike (dvdmike)
6-Zenith
Username: dvdmike

Post Number: 1701
Posted From: 75.34.2.243
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 12:08 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sammy was not an original member of Little Anthony & The Imperials. He didn't join the group until 1964, about 8 years after the group was formed.

(Message edited by dvdmike on March 04, 2007)

supreme3 (supreme3)
6-Zenith
Username: supreme3

Post Number: 700
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 12:13 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't believe The O'Jays, Gamble & Huff collectively have 15-million dollars, didn't each of them at one time file for "bankruptcy"?, but then so did Donald Trump.

(Message edited by supreme3 on March 04, 2007)

atiba48 (atiba48)
1-Arriviste
Username: atiba48

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 151.197.54.199
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 10:49 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sammy joined the Imperials after after a stint with the Fantastics (There goes my love),before that he was a member of the Chips (Rubber Biscuit) in which he wrote. He gets royalties from that as well as I Know for ( Pookie Hudson of the Spaniels). Sammy was a replacement for Little Anthony in the Imperials when he first left the group for a solo career.Shimmy Shimmy
Ko Ko Bop was the last song little Anthony sang before he left the group. Under Sammy's lead the group recorded the( Letter.) Little Anthony returned to the group, Sammy stayed and along Clarence and Ernest they had their Classic all time hits ( I'm on the outside looking in, Hurt so bad,Going out of my head, and Take me back.The early songs recorded by the Stylistics, written by Thom Bell were earmarked for the Imperials. There for an Original member. He joined the O'jays with Message in the music, Billy Powell recorded Sammy toured and promoted it. Just like Eldridge Bryant did with the Temptations (The way you do the things you do) he recorded it David Ruffin toured and promoted it.

ladyvanaye (ladyvanaye)
6-Zenith
Username: ladyvanaye

Post Number: 4394
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 5:50 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sammy needs to get back with the group and earn that money through a hustle like Eddie and Walter is doing and that new fine guy they have...when Sammy left the group it left a visual void for me - but I hate to see the OJays name dragged out like this.

Nosey (nosey)
6-Zenith
Username: nosey

Post Number: 1630
Posted From: 72.11.216.18
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 7:41 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supreme3, Kenny Gamble may have 15 million and more. He has a charter school and has rebuilt a whole neighborhood in South Philly with his Universal Homes corporation. That area is right off of the Avenue of the Arts in what is considered a prime real estate area. Kenny Gamble is quite well off. (Weldon probably knows more than I about Mr. Gamble's wealth.)

roddee (rod_rick)
6-Zenith
Username: rod_rick

Post Number: 475
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 9:29 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what prompted Sammy to sue the Ojays? Also, why did he leave the group?(Ojays)

atiba48 (atiba48)
1-Arriviste

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 70.20.164.69
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:33 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the love of money!!!!!

To regroup with the Imperials.

Kevin Goins - KevGo (kevgo)
6-Zenith
Username: kevgo

Post Number: 1228
Posted From: 208.157.165.26
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 1:36 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep in mind that after the O'Jays' run of R&B hits slowed down after the early 1990s, Sammy returned to Little Anthony & the Imperials, who were (and still are) doing quite well with their touring schedule (they play Las Vegas and New York City's Waldorf-Astoria every year and have been for quite some time).
Kevin Goins - KevGo

atiba48 (atiba48)
1-Arriviste

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 70.20.164.69
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 3:37 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sammy and the rest of Imperials regrouped for one show only at Madison Square Garden during the winter of 1991. Right after that they appeared on Dick Clark's 40th Band Stand Anniversary Show.

From there he appeared the same night at a Televised Award Show in L.A. where both the O'jays and Little Anthony and the Imperials were honored.

At the time I called him (BO Strain) for being the only Entertainer being a member of two working Groups at the same time.

In 1993 because of an increased of demand, Little Anthony and The Imperials decided to go for the "Gusto" with Sammy departing the O'jays being replaced at first by Nate Best formally a Keyboardist with the group Levert( Gerald, Sean, and Marc).

He was still with the Imperials when he was Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with Ed and Walt.

Nosey (nosey)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 1645
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 10:36 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also heard as an OJay, he only made "replacement" money while with Little Anthony, he can get more pay as an "original" although he really wasn't.

atiba48 (atiba48)
1-Arriviste

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 70.20.177.136
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 1:13 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nosey,

Sammy is an Original Imperial. The group was billed as Little Anthony and the "Original Imperials" when they regrouped in 1993. before that Clarence Collins had worked with two different units one being Bobby Wade and the Imperials , Clarence being the only original.

The second being CC and the Imperials a group he formed after a discord with Wade's group of Imperials.

After he sued to gain full control of the name in which he lost to Wade he settled to receive a percentage of Wade's earnings. Wade was favored by Anthony, Ernest,and Sammy to have rights to The Imperial name.

In 1993 when Anthony, Sammy, Ernest, and Clarence decided to regroup as the original group Wade had to relinquish the name and become Bobby Wade and the Emperors in order to continue their lounge act in Vegas where they were based with a 7 figure income which all the Imperials were entitled to a percentage if sort after, Clarence was the only one getting a percentage as a settlement until the name change and the regroup.

Nosey (nosey)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 1651
Posted From: 72.11.216.18
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 3:01 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

atiba48, thanks for the correction. It's still all confusing to me.

atiba48 (atiba48)
2-Debutant

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 70.20.165.212
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 9:49 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nosey,
Here's some thing else to add to your confusion.

Right now there's a guy by the name of Harold that replaced Sammy for the first time in the Imperials in the 70's and is his replacement as I write this. Harold was also a member of Bobby Wade and the Imperials, Bobby Wade and the Emperors before replacing Sammy for a second time in 2006.

Harold and Bobby Wade were replacements for Sammy and Ernest in the Imperial lineup. Harold before stepping up to the front, he was the bandleader and choreographer for the group.

roddee (rod_rick)
6-Zenith
Username: rod_rick

Post Number: 484
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 1:52 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why did Sammy leave the Imperials in 2006?

atiba48 (atiba48)
2-Debutant

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 70.20.165.212
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 12:02 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He said he was going to retire.

1939 to 2006 = 67years
He was the oldest in both groups ("The Imperials and The O'jays")

tsull (tsull)
6-Zenith
Username: tsull

Post Number: 715
Posted From: 132.178.135.128
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 5:08 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like Sammy might want to target PIR instead of The O'Jays. Here's an interesting story on the William Powell estate and how people didn't get their money for years:

http://72.14.253.104/search?q= cache:L4TFve0WSpIJ:www.clevesc ene.com/2006-05-17/news/back-s tabbers/+%22William+Powell%22+ O%27Jays&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl =us&client=firefox-a

I'm interested in the life of William Powell. Could anyone tell me more about the man who died too young?

Charise (mistrivia1)
6-Zenith
Username: mistrivia1

Post Number: 3335
Posted From: 76.203.50.108
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 12:29 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tsull.... that was a truly sad story RIGHT THERE:-(!! I was thinking the same thing, why in the heck would you write a letter to relatives of the deceased and then silently torture them in that manner??? It does open old wounds and causes undo STRESS!!!:-( There is nothing right about it at all. I don't know what is happening with this situation right or wrong(so I can't judge and wouldn't do it , anyway), but I pray that all is well or going well for these family members. If this story is true, and it doesn't seem to be made up, then the individuals involved in this situation, should be doing the right thing and honor this man's legacy and work. His family should not have to endure such burdensome load. I pray that God will make this right!

Treat people how YOU want to be treated, no more no LESS!!

P.S. I too, have often wondered about the life of Wiliam Powell, his personality and if he was married and had children.

Florence Thompkins (fjt)
4-Laureate
Username: fjt

Post Number: 156
Posted From: 68.80.208.161
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 12:07 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all said, Sammy's gonna get paid. He got screwed by the O'Jays and PIR. No matter how you look at it he was done wrong as were many other artists on PIR. How do you think Gamble got the money to re-build South Philly.

moonbeam (moonbeam)
6-Zenith
Username: moonbeam

Post Number: 456
Posted From: 152.163.100.78
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 10:47 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THANX FLORENCE.I NOW UNDERSTAND.I ALWAYS LOVED SAMMY IN THE O JAYS.HE IS FROM THE SAME NEIGHBORHOODI AM FROM.AND I DO AGREE HE WAS A TRUE ASSET TO THE O JAYS.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.