Soulful Detroit Archives - January 2007 Another Sad Business Deal-Toni Braxton Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

inandoutoflove (inandoutoflove)
4-Laureate
Username: inandoutoflove

Post Number: 97
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 2:17 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just read that Toni Braxton is suing her record label and ex-manager, Barry Hankerson for 10 million. Barry Hankerson used to be married to Gladys Knight, and seems like his name is in the news a lot for these kinds of transactions, i.e. lawsuits. Pulling here for Toni. She's been through a lot, and especially now that her son has been diagnosed with autism. The record company and Mr. Hankerson claim no-fault and think Toni should abandon this lawsuit and get to work on a new album for them that could revive her recording career. Her last two albums for them sold only moderately. Good luck Toni in your suit!

abfan (abfan)
6-Zenith
Username: abfan

Post Number: 824
Posted From: 216.141.228.112
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 6:12 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my opinion Toni did this to herself trying to cater to 15- 25 yr olds,Her last cd had one good hit as far as I see (Shadowless).The rest was moaning and groaning.I said she was doing a bad Anita Baker impersonation dragging her words and slurring,she did not do it well

Motown_Fan (motown_fan)
6-Zenith
Username: motown_fan

Post Number: 784
Posted From: 75.66.38.199
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 7:38 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still feel for her. It is not easy being a single parent and having to raise a child with a disability. I'm sure her thoughts are not always organized because she has her child and surviving on her mind.
Toni Braxton was on The View recently discussing her autistic child. She was so emotional that I couldn't help but feel for her. She's going through a very difficult time.

(Message edited by motown_fan on February 05, 2007)

Nosey (nosey)
6-Zenith
Username: nosey

Post Number: 1593
Posted From: 72.11.216.18
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 8:13 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met Barry Hankerson @ 1971-72 before he married Ms. Knight. I won't put out what I know but if I had had Ms. Knight's number I would have called her. (Like she would have listened. People in love never do.) He later married Chip Fields......

He needs some correction and that's all I'll say on the matter.

Motown_Fan (motown_fan)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 786
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 8:43 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barry Hankerson does have a bad reputation in general.

motownking (motownking)
5-Doyen
Username: motownking

Post Number: 408
Posted From: 68.163.68.50
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 9:42 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few years ago, Entertainment Weekly had an article when Toni was having financial problems. Barry Hankerson said in the article that Toni had a Motown contract. He said that Toni's label billed her for everything.

kamasu (kamasu)
6-Zenith
Username: kamasu

Post Number: 4144
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 10:03 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did hear something like that about Toni Braxton's contract with LaFace/Arista.
She did demand the best, but she paid for it.
It's a common practice in the record business. An artist demands a stretch limo, a driver, a stylist, makeup, hair and personal trainers to accompany them to the corner store...The record label delivers these things and people, but the artist pays for it.

Some artists think they get all of those things for free. But the money to pay for it all has to come from someone. And it's usually the artist who pays.

tresjolie (tresjolie)
6-Zenith
Username: tresjolie

Post Number: 3368
Posted From: 65.121.233.122
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 10:14 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is Toni signing these so-called bad deals? After the LaFace incident, figured she'd be a little wiser. Maybe she wanted to see if they/Blackground could do for her what they did for Aaliyah.

Since her husband is also in the industry, you'd think they'd know a little better.

Like Kam said- WHATEVER you ask the label to "pay" for you-even if it is a bottle of Coke-you WILL be "billed" for it.

kamasu (kamasu)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 4147
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 10:19 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Toni Braxton still married to the guy from Mint Condition?

SoulLover79 (soullover79)
4-Laureate
Username: soullover79

Post Number: 76
Posted From: 208.208.194.10
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 10:29 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But Toni has extremely LAVISH spending habits. In an article some years back called 'A Star is Broke" (I think that was in EW too, this was around '98) they talked about the stuff she was buying for her home. Crap she just didn't need and could not afford, like Gucci teddy bears for her kid, designer plates, and all other kinds of foolishness you don't need to buy when you are spending money you aren't making back. Since she's not a songwriter I am sure she's not pulling it in like that.

Marc taylor (mellow_q)
5-Doyen
Username: mellow_q

Post Number: 288
Posted From: 128.59.45.53
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 10:41 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SL 79, I agree.

Back around the time she was going broke, other artists talked about how Toni's spending habits were excessive, even by Hollywood standards.

tresjolie (tresjolie)
6-Zenith
Username: tresjolie

Post Number: 3369
Posted From: 65.121.233.122
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 11:18 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kam- yup. they are still together.

SL 79 and Marc - Yup. She is not writing hits were she could get that extra income and keep her "standard of living".

After the drama with LaFace and then getting dropped by her label, that should've been the wake up call to chill on the spending. Even when they showed the wedding and baby shower on TV, the stuff she had was crazy. If you do not have the funds to maintain that lifestyle, then you can't keep it.

I remember when Blackground was desperately looking to keep afloat after Aaliyah died. They were not in a great financial position then.

kamasu (kamasu)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 4148
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 11:18 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, some female celebs do shop. And Toni Braxton's spending was legendary. Gucci teddy bears. Give me a break. A child doesn't know a Gucci Bear from one purchased at walmart.

Have you seen Patti Labelle's show on TVOne? Patti can't enter into anyone's store without buying something.
You understand why Patti is always on he road to pay for that lifestyle. Patti is generous. If she's buying diamonds and you are her friend, you get some diamonds too.

Why do some people spend or throw away money like it's tap water?

I can see treating yourself and living well, but within a budget.

abfan (abfan)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 825
Posted From: 216.141.228.112
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 11:30 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toni isnt single Motown_Fan
shes still married to the guy Terri something from Mint Condition

Motown_Fan (motown_fan)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 790
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 6:25 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toni Braxton's husband is a better man than I gave him credit for.
I had heard rumors that they'd split up and I surely thought that with her sagging record sales and her child being diagnosed as autistic - I assumed that this guy had bailed on her.

gkwgwa (gkwgwa)
3-Pundit
Username: gkwgwa

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 4.236.18.37
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 6:41 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't she supposed to be doing some long term gig in Vegas like what Gladys Knight did a year or two ago? If so, how did that turn out?

I've lost a lot of respect for Toni Braxton about 10 years ago when she and her people really began to sell her hard as a sex object and moved her away from her classy chanteusse image of her first album. It seemed with each CD release she became freakier and freakier yet her sales continued to slip. Didn't she do some interviews prior to the release of her most recent album complaining about the image and songs LaFace gave her for the first album? She seems like a very messed up and lost woman. I remember her appearance on the finale of last season's American Idol in which she sang In the Ghetto with Taylor Hicks--she was slurring her words and it seemed she was trying to get Taylor to put his hand on her crotch. I know on other boards people were speculating if she was now a crack addict. I hope this latest fiasco of hers will set her head straight and get her back to what she does best--singing smoky adult r and b/jazz flavoured ballads.

couscous (couscous)
5-Doyen
Username: couscous

Post Number: 219
Posted From: 76.213.158.120
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 7:02 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she need to act and dress like a mature woman and not like a 20 year old and at the end of the day we all resposible for paying our own way. i think toni needa reality check.

abfan (abfan)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 826
Posted From: 72.40.165.141
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 7:29 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motown_Fan nah he's a good dude,and that's his kid too, I doubt he'd just bail on her,He's the one with no music career not her

1wicked (1wicked)
6-Zenith
Username: 1wicked

Post Number: 1373
Posted From: 12.102.44.68
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 8:40 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

abfan: Contrary to your last post...Terry left Mint Condition voluntarily & could probably return. He also has the talent to be a solo act. Though he may not be active musically right now, to say he doesn't have a music career (as if he failed or is living off of Toni) is quite untrue. (I won't even mention the nasty undertone.....)

Kris Peterson (ribalda)
6-Zenith
Username: ribalda

Post Number: 1211
Posted From: 68.79.102.32
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:38 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read some years back that she was trying to get out of her contracts with Babyface....and that he was totally ripping her off. I later read that she had filed for bankruptcy. But, a little while later she made another album with him. I took this to mean that her attempt had failed and that she had taken the path of least resistance. The big mistake that artists make is to be impatient....they just can't wait to get that record out there. Consequently, they make business decisions in haste, and to their detriment.

Kris

abfan (abfan)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 828
Posted From: 72.40.165.141
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 4:00 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wicked, ok what undertone, didnt u see I said he's a good dude and im responding to Motown_Fan who thought he wasnt such a good man
I mean he may be a musican and can make a few bucks but hes not Toni Braxton shes the one who makes the money

Lady Mystique (Maverick) (ladymystique)
6-Zenith
Username: ladymystique

Post Number: 5671
Posted From: 192.108.124.40
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 8:31 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a little late here, but what is up with Toni and these "deals"? That's crazy!

I wish the best for her...and I am happy that she has a supportive man around her. That is something you don't hear often, in and out of Hollywood.

Some of the things she was doing as far as her sexed up image I thought were in bad taste as she has a hell of a voice. I didn't feel like she needed to show skin to sell albums, like many in her position who has a great sellable voice who, either their own decision or through the record company, NEED to have them disrobe (remember the ROLLING STONE cover?)

I fell in love with her voice as I did with Anita Baker's and others who sing in that range because to me they represented females (such as myself) with a low voice, who some think isn't cool to possess.

As for Barry Hankerton, all I heard is things about him that puts a question in my mind. However, I still can't judge him.

inandoutoflove (inandoutoflove)
4-Laureate
Username: inandoutoflove

Post Number: 102
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 12:55 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was said by Toni that Barry Hankerson did a lot of double talk-saying that Arista didn't want her anymore-while also telling Arista that she didn't want to be on Arista anymore, among other charges. Toni filed her lawsuit, withdrew it, and re-filed it. Only time will tell who shall be the winner.

loveblind (loveblind)
5-Doyen
Username: loveblind

Post Number: 234
Posted From: 158.59.196.112
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 12:25 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toni's career lacks the super promotion she once got at Arista.

Her relationship with Arista turned sour when she got pregnant during the release of her last CD with the label. Because she couldn't tour the LP..they refused to put more money into the project. It was a very stressful time for the then pregnant singer.

Lady Mystique (Maverick) (ladymystique)
6-Zenith
Username: ladymystique

Post Number: 5696
Posted From: 192.108.124.40
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 12:57 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah...because they wanted to sell her sexy image and they couldn't. That's sad...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.