Soulful Detroit Mowtown Topics - Archives II Other "Supremes" groups before Motown Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

Supremes (supremes)
1-Arriviste
Username: supremes

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 69.140.136.240
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 3:11 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello. I think Mary (and even Diana) should be a bit concerned over this. One day when surfing for Supremes on Google I hit this page where there is another singing group called the Supremes.
They For more on this group from Columbus, Ohio please defer to:
http://www.columbusmusichistory.com/html/supremes-1.html
Late 1954, more than six years before Motown's Supremes! In addition, since they said they reunited in 1977 briefly on the Grog label, they also have the distinction of recording the LAST Supremes record ever! (Remember, the Motown Supremes last album was released in October 1976!). I refer to this group as the '57 Supremes since that is when their first (of only two) singles were released. This has Motown's girls boxed in, and that Diana, Flo, Mary, Barbara aren't the REAL Supremes!! They should be called the '61 Supremes!

Even the '57 Supremes got some promotion

There was another group called "The Supremes" who signed to New York's Old Town records sometime in the mid-1950s. They released their first single in 1956, so I refer to this group as the '56 Supremes. I myself have this original record in my collection:

The oldest Supremes record I own!

Old Town was also home to acts like the Royaltones and the Solitaires. Shortly therafter, the group changed their name to this:

Just kidding, it was a special guest.

There were TWO additional Supremes groups who released a single in '58!. The first group released a single on Mark 129. I even have a recording of the b-side, Snap, Crackle, and Pop. Yes, their is a female singer, but the Supremes here are a MALE group!

Also in '58, Billy the Kid joined these "fantasy Supremes" on Bernice 202.

Not another name change!

Finally, the male members of Ruby & the Romantics changed their name from the Supremes sometime around 1961 or 62, so Motown's Supremes were only locally known at that point. Thank god for the name change, or Mary would of had a fit on her "Our Day Will Come" recording when finally released a few years ago on the "There's A Place For Us" album. It would have been strange for ODWC to be billed as "Ruby and the Supremes!"

Remember, these Supremes groups all formed BEFORE Motown's! If Mary is in trouble with the rights for the name, she needs to realize that there have been even older groups signed as the Supremes!

Bruce Huston (brucehto)
6-Zenith
Username: brucehto

Post Number: 412
Posted From: 99.244.185.213
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 3:19 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Supremes didn't change their name to Ruth McFadden & the Supremes. Ruth McFadden was essentially a soloist who sometimes used a male doo wop group for vocal backing.

Bruce Huston (brucehto)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 413
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 3:26 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cross-reference other Old Town singles by:

Ruth McFadden & the Harptones
Ruth McFadden & the Royaltones

The Supremes, Harptones and Royaltones were all male vocal groups who had recording careers in their own right.

bradsupremes (bradsupremes)
6-Zenith
Username: bradsupremes

Post Number: 696
Posted From: 76.241.118.243
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 5:14 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was also another group called The Temptations too.

midnightman (midnightman)
5-Doyen
Username: midnightman

Post Number: 237
Posted From: 71.51.231.72
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 6:38 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there another group called the Miracles too?

Bruce Huston (brucehto)
6-Zenith

Post Number: 414
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 7:32 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On RCA back in the mid-fifties, there was even a white rockabilly artist named Shorty Long. He played piano on some of Elvis Presley's early RCA sessions and also had some releases of his own -- one of his best, I think, was called, "Burnt Toast And Black Coffee."

The Temptations (a white vocal group from New York) enjoyed quite a hit in the spring of 1960 with a tune entitled "Barbara" (on the Goldisc label).

If these Temptations were to reunite for a rock 'n' roll revival show, I don't suppose Motown could do a thing about it. THEIR Temptations were still the Primes back then, weren't they?

Perhaps another Forum member could confirm the existence of an earlier group called the Miracles. (I've even seen a listing for an early group called the Beachboys on the Kapp label, but apparently nothing to do with the Wilson family!)

Davie Gordon (davie_gordon)
6-Zenith
Username: davie_gordon

Post Number: 1213
Posted From: 77.102.1.194
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 7:33 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two other groups called The Elgins and another
Monitors. There were are at least three other
groups called The Temptations. Two , maybe three
other Miracles. All of them predating the Motown groups. If you do enough digging you'll find that there are are very few sixties groups whose names were unique and that's only groups who actually
left some evidence in the form a record that they existed - nobody's ever tried to systematically list groups who didn't get to record but I think you can take it there were many more cases of any given name being used by more than one group than is generally known.

Robb_K (robb_k)
6-Zenith
Username: robb_k

Post Number: 8598
Posted From: 66.81.27.165
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 11:14 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's The Supremes' Ace record:

Supremes

Robb_K (robb_k)
6-Zenith
Username: robb_k

Post Number: 8599
Posted From: 66.81.27.165
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 11:22 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were also other Originals, Velveletts, Spinners, Creations,Dualtones, Ecuadors (sp. diff.)Downbeats, Contours and many of the other Motown group names. There was probably another Satintones, too. I seem to remember even another Four Tops. As Davie stated, very few names were NOT duplicated (probably only family names with a special adjective-such as The Isley Brothers).

NaturalWoman (naturalwoman)
6-Zenith
Username: naturalwoman

Post Number: 553
Posted From: 64.12.116.18
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 11:30 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe there were also a few groups named "The Lollipops".

Supremes (supremes)
2-Debutant

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 6:07 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've discovered yet another Supremes record from 1956. That makes SIX known Supremes groups prior to "the girls". This group was from Lawrence, MA.

Mary's latest enemy

Looks familiar in design to Old Town... the same group?

Supremes (supremes)
2-Debutant

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 6:56 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yet another pre-Motown Supremes group. Apt Records was a sub-label from ABC-Paramount Records. I think this title would be very appropriate given the news that the Las Vegas Review has sent out today:

Hear it!

Hear both songs through this link and tell me what you think!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Supremes-on-Apt-Bargain-basement-Doo-Wop-45-HEAR-IT_W0QQitemZ270201619210QQihZ017QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Supremes (supremes)
2-Debutant

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 6:58 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the Ace Supremes as described above, you can hear both sides through this link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Supremes-o n-Ace-male-gp-Doo-Wop-Just-4-U -I-HEAR_W0QQitemZ270201618019Q QihZ017QQcategoryZ306QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#e bayphotohosting

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.