Soulful DetroitMowtown Topics - Archives II � Barbara McNair: Ultimate Collection Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

AlwaysInMyHeart (alwaysinmyheart)
4-Laureate
Username: alwaysinmyheart

Post Number: 82
Posted From: 91.163.153.105
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 11:45 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had mixed feelings about the design of the Universal UK releases ("designed by BOLD"), but I just received the Barbara McNair set and now my mind has changed : is it really a see-thru blouse on the back cover?

oh and, incidentally, the set includes some good music :-)

Lady Mystique (Maverick) (ladymystique)
6-Zenith
Username: ladymystique

Post Number: 4054
Posted From: 192.108.124.40
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 12:17 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Always, I have sampled her cuts on this UK Motown site recently ...I had added it to my Wish List! :-)

Reese (reese)
6-Zenith
Username: reese

Post Number: 1012
Posted From: 204.152.13.163
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 12:17 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That photo was from a Playboy magazine shoot.

Per (swingin_per)
4-Laureate
Username: swingin_per

Post Number: 119
Posted From: 81.233.248.228
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 12:19 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why are you having mixed feelings about Bold's/Universal UK's designs? Personally I think they're gorgeous. Especially the front cover design of Tommy Good's, Bobby Taylor's, Chuck Jackson's and (no. 1) Kim Weston's Anthologies appeals to me.

About the blouse on the back cover I've asked myself the same question. The liner notes mentions that some photos from her photo sessions with Playboy are included in booklet. I'm not an expert on Playboy but they don't seem to be ashamed of letting their girls let one or two nipples make it to the press. So, I guess the nipple(s) supposed to be there =). Universal UK/Paul Nixon on the naughty side of the music industry.

I've got to agree on the music as well. Although the set didn't reach my expectations built-up by "You're Gonna Love Me Baby", "Baby A Go-Go", "Forget You Ever Met Me Baby" and "It Happens Every Time", there's some great tracks and performances (by both Barbara and the musicians), especially Barbara's interpretations of Smokey's, with some of them even outdoing the originals in my opinion!

Per (swingin_per)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 120
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 12:21 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LadyMystique: Is that you running the site and doing all the reviews?

4-Laureate

Post Number: 83
Posted From: 91.163.137.124
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 12:27 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LadyMystique,
thanks for the link: nice selection of unreleased tracks! Upon first listening, CD2 sounds like the better one.

Reese,
!!!!!!!!!!

6-Zenith

Post Number: 4057
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 12:31 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Per...no that's not me, but I do reviews on Amazon.com:

My Profile on Amazon.com

Always...you're welcome!

4-Laureate

Post Number: 84
Posted From: 91.163.137.124
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 1:00 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Per,

You named the better ones! The double-cd sets are usually good, and the Tommy Good set indicates that things are probably changing for the better even for the single sets.
In an earlier thread (I can't find it now!), I mentioned the frustrating designs of the Valerie Simpson and Tammi Terrell cds (no "real" picture shot or original cover art), and to a lesser extent, the Barbara Randolph set (nice design but more variety in the booklet would have been welcome).

clearfromhere (clearfromhere)
5-Doyen
Username: clearfromhere

Post Number: 177
Posted From: 199.97.121.99
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 1:14 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barbara McNair was in Playboy around the time she was getting a lot of attention for her nude scene in IF HE HOLLERS LET HIM GO and a leading role in a sexy Jess Franco film, VENUS IN FURS, after playing a nun in A CHANGE OF HABIT!

I have the Playboy mag someplace. I'll have to go look for it.

Motown_Fan (motown_fan)
4-Laureate
Username: motown_fan

Post Number: 139
Posted From: 71.67.172.14
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 1:23 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have that Playboy issue too. The nudity was pretty tame n those days.

Per (swingin_per)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 1:38 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AlwaysInMyHeart: Oh. I see what Universal UK releases you're refering to. "The Essential Collection" and such. I gotta agree with you on those. They're not much to shout about actually. But the CD's named "Motown Anthology", "Motown Collection" etc is great! Speaking of that, why is some called "Motown Anthology", some "Motown Collection" and others (like McNair's) "Ultimate Motown Collection"?

I gotta agree with you on the Barbara Randolph as well. They didn't have more than one photo of Barbara so they used it over and over and over and over again in the booklet. At least you got used to that one. Great set of music though! Hehe.

Motown_Fan: Better these days? :-)

Motown_Fan (motown_fan)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 140
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 1:59 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Per, there's nothing left to the imagination these days. You see it all in some mags (which I'm not allowed to read anymore). LOL
The nudity in Playboy was always softened, retouched and glamourized.

Barbara McNair was a good, looking woman. Her layout in Playboy was modest compared to what you might see today.

:-)

4-Laureate

Post Number: 85
Posted From: 91.163.157.216
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 2:04 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Within a couple of hours I learned that Barbara McNair did a Playboy shoot and that she starred in "Venus In Furs", a film I clearly remember: a friend had introduced it as a possible inspiration for David Lynch's "Lost Highway". I remember James Darren (known to me through the Brill Building connection) and Manfred Mann, but I had not suspected that the girlfriend was THE Barbara McNair!

Lady Mystique,
If I understand well, you live in the city made famous by Bacharach, David & Thomas?

6-Zenith

Post Number: 4064
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 2:04 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please! Just turn on the TV!

Reese (reese)
6-Zenith
Username: reese

Post Number: 1013
Posted From: 204.152.12.182
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 2:11 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

VENUS IN FURS is available on dvd. I bought it a while back because Barbara was in it, and also because I figured I'd never see it again. I still haven't watched it.

The last time I remember seeing Barbara was when she guest starred on THE JEFFERSONS. She played an down-on-her-luck old girlfriend of George who decided to kidnap him when she realized how rich he was.

Motown_Fan (motown_fan)
4-Laureate

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 2:14 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reese, I remember that episode with Ms. McNair. She was good and totally believable. It aired on TVLand during a Jeffersons marathon.

6-Zenith

Post Number: 4065
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 2:17 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Always...I just saw your post...if this is the city where I am currently, then it is! :-)

4-Laureate

Post Number: 86
Posted From: 91.163.144.137
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 2:54 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lady,
"made famous" was not necessarily the right term (I'm not certain that the song was a hit), nevertheless the name of your city is a keyword for Bacharach freaks (I am one).

6-Zenith

Post Number: 4069
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 3:13 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh ok! LOL I was starting to wonder! Ok...I am not up on his songs although I know the hits! :-)

Soulie007 aka Watford Ch (soulie007)
1-Arriviste
Username: soulie007

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 62.136.35.144
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 4:56 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not seen her on TV. Her songs motown released and did not but turned up on acetates did go big on the Northern Soul Scene around the Millenium. First heard Baby a Go Go at Scenesville Soul Club, London in 99/00.

Can see her on my pc tho...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It8ORePNyt8

Huge floor filler in the Uk.

(Message edited by Soulie007 on October 13, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.