Soulful DetroitArchives - July 2006 � Great Southern Soul Radio station online Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

DavidDesper (daviddesper)
4-Laureate
Username: daviddesper

Post Number: 86
Posted From: 69.168.57.246
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 12:43 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is probably old news to some of you, but I don't recall seeing it mentioned on here. So for those of you who don't know, maybe you will be as excited to learn about this as I was recently. There is a great Southern soul radio station that broadcasts non-stop at www.SouthernSoulRadio.com (I am not sure if the caps are necessary but that is the way they have it listed.) So if your tastes run to guys like Johnnie Taylor, Bobby Blue Bland, Little Milton, etc. or (in my case) ladies like Denise LaSalle, Shirley Brown, and Dorothy Moore, you will love this station. Check it out!

Mr Soul (mr_soul)
3-Pundit
Username: mr_soul

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 62.252.224.12
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 11:49 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks DavidDesper,I've added it to my favourites,anyone know anymore Soul/R&B stations I can tune into.

Vonnie (vonnie)
6-Zenith
Username: vonnie

Post Number: 1162
Posted From: 152.163.101.14
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 12:13 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

David,

"I Second The Emotion" of Mr Soul. I've also added this to my favorites. Thank You!
angel with stars

oldiesmusicfan (oldiesmusicfan)
6-Zenith
Username: oldiesmusicfan

Post Number: 3343
Posted From: 71.65.21.119
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 8:02 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a coincidence! I just discovered this station yesterday and I'm hooked. I found the link on a post here somewhere on SDF, but can't find which thread now. The link below was put on here by Nikki I think, it's her baby. Scroll to the bottom part of the page for a long list of internet stations.

Anyway, on Southern Soul Radio (link posted above by David) I've already found out about a CD I HAVE to buy. They were playing a song called "Don't Make Me Creep" by Stan Mosley from the CD "The Soul Singer". I can just imagine how much more "new" music I'll discover. Southern soul is really my favorite kind of soul.

Tune in, I'm sure you'll all love it.

Oldies

http://www.group-harmony.com/r adio.htm

Redstripe (redstripe)
6-Zenith
Username: redstripe

Post Number: 2524
Posted From: 69.199.179.238
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 6:32 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks DavidDesper

They are playing some real nice tracks.

Z.Z Hill playing now.
Help Me, I'm In Need
www.SouthernSoulRadio.com

michael r. lee shue (mikey)
6-Zenith
Username: mikey

Post Number: 1397
Posted From: 72.141.13.181
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 7:10 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great site for the real stuff.

I agree with OldiesMusician's endorsement of Stan Mosley. I heard his track "Makes me wanna cry". This is real soul music. He reminds one of Bobby Womack.

Southern Soul never goes stale. Infinite shelf life.

michael r. lee shue (mikey)
6-Zenith
Username: mikey

Post Number: 1399
Posted From: 72.141.13.181
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 10:03 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fabulous current soul Southern style is just a click away. You won't hear this type of stuff on the big city stations that cater to the younger demographics.

Redstripe (redstripe)
6-Zenith
Username: redstripe

Post Number: 2526
Posted From: 69.199.179.238
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 10:15 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Mikey, they are playing some HOT tracks. More like my kind of music.

www.SouthernSoulRadio.com

Ms. M (ms_m)
6-Zenith
Username: ms_m

Post Number: 1294
Posted From: 70.144.143.250
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 1:12 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One way in, one way out jook joints with pickled egss and pickled pig feet siting in jars on the bar. Shirley Brown on the juke box singing "Stuck on Stupid"....LOL

Nitty gritty, unrefined SOUL......ya got a love it!!!....thanks for the tip DavidDesper

(Message edited by Ms._M on April 24, 2006)

(Message edited by Ms._M on April 24, 2006)

oldiesmusicfan (oldiesmusicfan)
6-Zenith
Username: oldiesmusicfan

Post Number: 3362
Posted From: 71.65.21.119
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 7:23 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe you all have heard this before, but anyway, here's another place to hear some good music.

http://www.soul-patrol.com/

Oldies

4-Laureate

Post Number: 96
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 1:06 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am happy that some of the rest of you found this news (about Southern Soul Radio) to be exciting. As for me personally, I feel like I have died and gone to heaven!!! For most of the time since I posted my initial message, I had only managed to listen a few minutes here and there. But tonight has been my big night, as I have the house all to myself, and have the volume cranked up. I have been listening for the last couple of hours while e-mailing, etc. and I have heard some great stuff. Since I am a fan of Southern Soul Ladies for the most part, I have especially enjoyed hearing Dorothy Moore's rousing "Do Ya", (not that anybody could go wrong with that song!) as well as Jean Knight's "Mr. Big Stuff." They also played one of Denise LaSalle's more sensitive songs "Write This One Off (As a Loss)". Bobby Blue Bland is snorting through one of his hits as I am typing this, so the fellows are getting their airplay as well. In fact, I heard a great tune that I did not previously know that I will now most definitely want. Chuck Strong's "Southern Girl." It has a great driving beat and some snappy lyrics.

So to summarize, this is GREAT RADIO STATION!!! Check it out if you haven't already.

Mr Soul (mr_soul)
4-Laureate
Username: mr_soul

Post Number: 92
Posted From: 62.252.224.12
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 8:39 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi DavidDesper
A couple of UK releases on Dome records (licenced from Malaco records) are Southern Soul Cellar Vol 1 & 2 both are double CD's feat Shirley Brown,Dorothy Moore,Bobby Bland,Lou Rawls,Johnnie Taylor & Denise Lasalle & then some. Worth checking out unless you already have them.

4-Laureate

Post Number: 97
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 12:36 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since I was the one who started this thread (about SouthernSoulRadio.com), I wanted to express a little frustration over it and ask if any of you feel the same way or have had the same experiences. But first let me say that I am still very happy to have discovered it and have every intention of continuing to listen.

But now that I have devoted more than a few hours of listening time, I do have two complaints. First of all, they seem to have a few pet songs that they repeat endlessly. The best example I can give is that one about "Rock That Man in the Boat." It is not that good a song in the first place, but yet they seem to play it at least hourly. (I know they don't, but it sure seems like it.) So I have gotten completely sick of hearing it.

My second complaint, and the one I want to ask you folks about, is their e-mail request feature. Have any of you tried to send in a request, and if so, what results have you received?

I have sent in at least four or five e-mails over the past few weeks with requests, and have yet to receive an answer, nor hear my songs played. I have tried to explain in my e-mails that I didn't know whether you were supposed to send in your request well in advance and ask for them at a certain prescribed time, or are you supposed to send an e-mail while you are actually listening, in hopes that they will play it then. That is of course the way you traditionally make a request when there is a live dj, but on this station there is usually not one.

So anyway, they have not responded to answer my questions at all, so I still have no idea how to make requests or if it even does any good to try. Still, just being able to listen to this kind of music while online is heaven, and I am happy for that. Anyone have anything to report?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.