Soulful DetroitArchives - July 2006 � Rockin' Robbie D on WCHB Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

Popcorn (popcorn)
1-Arriviste
Username: popcorn

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 70.57.173.170
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 11:20 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone here remember this flow:
Hey! Baby! This is me! Rockin' Robbie D! I'm so bad I make flowers die I make babies cry I take candy from babies and give dogs rabies and if that ain't bad the rain don't fall and that ain't all�biscuits ain't bread!

It's a line from the blue eyed soul DJ Rockin' Robbie D on Detroit's WCHB radio from the mid sixties. Does anyone know what happened to him?

Gary (gary)
6-Zenith
Username: gary

Post Number: 1050
Posted From: 66.73.238.5
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 11:35 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dang, that's a name I haven't heard in years...Robbie D. The only white DJ on Detroit's premier all soul radio station, "Soul Radio 1440 WCHB AM on your radio dial".. I remember him well, but I don't know whatever happened to him, I'm sure somebody around here will know..

Graham Finch (acooolcat)
6-Zenith
Username: acooolcat

Post Number: 625
Posted From: 211.75.91.18
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 9:22 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I THINK he married a Detroit Soul singer in the 60s, but it didn't last very long. I have a news clip somewhere....

stubass (stubass)
6-Zenith
Username: stubass

Post Number: 2173
Posted From: 206.135.204.254
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 10:28 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met Robbie when I was in high school. He was a very nice guy. Used to wear this blue suit and go around doing high school dances with a little portable stereo record player. As a future radio guy myself...I can tell you that Robbie had a great set of pipes, and a smooth rap.

STUBASS

Ron Murphy (ron_murphy)
5-Doyen
Username: ron_murphy

Post Number: 356
Posted From: 68.42.152.51
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 10:59 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robbie D. had a long last name so he just used the first letter, he came to Detroit from Pittsburgh and was on the radio there.
he married Telma Hopkins but that lasted about a month.

he made a record called "Precious Memories" at Golden World studio and I guess Mr.Wingate or someone let him use the Fantastic Four track of "Girl Have Pity" telma was also doing backup, he used it on this WCHB program only and a limited number of copies were made, I still have the master of it.

He started at WCHB around March of 1966 but was around less than a year and moved on to where I don't remember.

he used to come by the studio I was working at and remember him always talking about his favorite group The Magnificent Men.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.