Soulful DetroitArchives - July 2006 � Atlantic Records Fire in the Vaults Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

Nabob (nabob)
2-Debutant
Username: nabob

Post Number: 22
Posted From: 209.214.228.51
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 8:31 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has it ever been divulged which masters were lost in the Atlantic Records fire in the vaults? When was the fire?

michael r. lee shue (mikey)
6-Zenith
Username: mikey

Post Number: 1587
Posted From: 72.141.13.181
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 9:14 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heard about this fire now and then over the years.Makes me sick thinking about what was lost.

Reese (reese)
6-Zenith
Username: reese

Post Number: 1134
Posted From: 204.152.12.249
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 10:51 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I've read, most of what was lost was unreleased material.

AlwaysInMyHeart (alwaysinmyheart)
5-Doyen
Username: alwaysinmyheart

Post Number: 179
Posted From: 91.163.139.72
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 11:45 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what follows was found here: http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Gen ius-Complete-Recordings-1952-1 959/dp/B000A7KL7U

"One of the most devastating vault losses in modern industry history occurred in February, 1978 in a fire in a non-air-conditioned Atlantic Records storage facility in Long Branch, N.J.

The warehouse fire destroyed virtually all of Atlantic's unreleased masters, alternate takes and sessions tapes by artists who had recorded for the label and its offshoots throughout its classic 1948-1969 first golden era.

Thousands of performances by nearly a hundred of America's most acclaimed r&b, soul, pop and jazz artists were lost in the fire. According to several sources, between 5,000 to 6,000 reels of tape were destroyed or damaged. Just a handful of the artists names reads like a short-form Who's Who in Mid-Century American Music." [...]

Kris Peterson (ribalda)
6-Zenith
Username: ribalda

Post Number: 1146
Posted From: 68.252.68.35
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 12:12 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, at least the artists won't have to seeth with resentment about their un-releaseed recordings sitting in the "CAN". They're all gone and can't be released anyway. One might think that this is somewhat of a god send on some level.

Kris

(Message edited by Ribalda on January 05, 2007)

Kevin Goins - KevGo (kevgo)
6-Zenith
Username: kevgo

Post Number: 1099
Posted From: 69.4.123.131
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 4:43 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Atlantic had planned on releasing many of these unreleased masters but after the fire had occurred the label changed course and instead compiled what became THE ATLANTIC R&B COLLECTION 1947-1974, which was released in 1984 and remains one of the most definitve boxed sets ever issued.

Kevin Goins - KevGo

ady_croasdell (ady_croasdell)
4-Laureate
Username: ady_croasdell

Post Number: 73
Posted From: 62.136.192.192
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 5:11 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When we did our Kent/Ace series of Atlantic CDs we did get one or two unissued out of them, but we applied for at least 50 that we never got and were probably destroyed, including some mouth watering titles from the Rupplli Atlantic tape lists book compiled years before the fire.

PhilH (philh)
2-Debutant
Username: philh

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 124.177.197.220
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 6:24 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IIRC, there are about a dozen unissued Aretha studio sides (I have the Ruppli books, but can't be arsed to look through them this minute!). One of them, a cover of Mable John's Stax side, "Taking Up Another Man's Place" came out on the ATLANTIC BLUES collection in the 80's, and is currently on the Aretha comp THE DELTA MEETS DETROIT. Jerry Wexler apparently has the rest of that dozen on cassette - or he did have when interviewed by Rolling Stone in the late 70's! Also, I believe that single and album masters were stored in a separate place from the session tapes, which is how Atlantic were able to issue sides 3 & 4 of Esther Phillips' double LP SET ME FREE in 1986, those two sides being a previously unissued LP from 1970 which had already been mastered and a catalogue number allocated.

Some of the pages in my Ruppli books have faded a bit. The last time I looked at the Greenwood Press website, the price of each volume now is roughly equivalent to the total price of all four volumes when they were first published!

tom_moulton (tom_moulton)
6-Zenith
Username: tom_moulton

Post Number: 622
Posted From: 152.163.101.14
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 9:06 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerry was upset about losing an unreleased Aretha Album and he talked to me about it several times. The few times I did mention the fire to him he would say, Its All Gone. Very Depressing. Jerry is 90 tomorrow and I hope he has many many more Birthdays.

Wonder B (wonder_b)
6-Zenith
Username: wonder_b

Post Number: 1409
Posted From: 90.7.26.67
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 3:58 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fire destroyed reels but also a LOT of the Atlantic records archives as well.
One good thing happened just before that fire took place though.

A Swiss guy by the name of Kurt MOHR spent weeks in the Atlantic vaults painstakingly writing down all the references and session listing details of the all the masters.
Subsequently everytime Atlantic had to use some tapes, they had to hire Kurt Mohr to give them the reels numbers and the personnel present on those sessions...
It was a great thing that he did that, otherwise a lot of the music history would have been lost as well...
Kurt left us a couple of years ago, but I once had the pleasure of dining with the man and some of his illustrious friends and he was an exquisite and unbelievably knowledgeable person... a true living music encyclopedia!

He astounded me by telling me how he used to listen to jazz as a youngster without his parents knowing (they apparently didn't like for their son to play that kind of music LOL) in the late 20's!! Then he befriended almost every jazz icons in the following years and had countless unbelievable stories to tell about each and every one of them. His musical curiosity didn't stop there as he 'discovered' the Beatles music before most other people did, and he kept up with the new musical trends until the end.

PhilH (philh)
2-Debutant
Username: philh

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 124.177.197.220
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 12:29 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all,

Please see new thread for "Aretha Franklin's unissued Atlantic sessions (LONG)"

TJ Lubinsky (tjl)
4-Laureate
Username: tjl

Post Number: 72
Posted From: 205.188.116.69
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 2:07 am: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Tom Moulton and I put together the last "vocal group greats" cd box set, we tried very hard to find any of The Drifters multi tracks so we could remix new stereo extended versions of "I Count The Tears", "Up On The Roof" (single version) and "This Magic Moment".

Sadly, all of the Drifters multi-tracks and session tapes were reported and confirmed by several sources (including Jerry Wexler)as destroyed in the fire.

Ironically, someone had The Coasters tapes out for another project just prior to the fire, and many of the multi's we're found for most of the later hits, except "Poison Ivy" (the one we were looking for).

On another unrelated note, we both beggggggeeeedddddd Sheldon Brown to let us do tape transferss of "The Wind" and "Village Of Love" which he did license to us for this CD set - - but, due to Sheldon's travel schedule and our deadlines with the release of the box - - getting the actual tapes just couldn't happen.

I'm hopeful we can try again on a future release.

Also, on tape notes, Harry and all the great folks at UM tried very very very hard to help us locate a tape for Harvey's Tri-Phi tune "Anyway You Wanta", a tune we licensed for a PBS disc for a show called "rock at 50" we did a few years back.

Sadly, no tape of the original version could be found on the Tri-Phi reels. There was a song called "Anyway You Wanna" performed by Harvey using the backing track to the Tri-Phi release, but....it turned out to have totally different lyrics over the same track called "Monkey Lupe Lu", with The Spinners and some unknown girls (maybe The Andantes?) doing some wild wild harmonies.

In a way, it really makes you wanna cry if (like me) you love Harvey's "Anyway You Wanta" because the backing tracks sounds so good and clear on the tape (except its mono and mixed with the Monkey Lupe Lu" lyrics, which is cool, but sadly, a different song all together than "Anyway You Wanta" (which is just one of the most awesome jams ever).

I asked Harvey a few years back about this, he certainly remembered re-recording "Money Lupe Lu", but didn't know where a tape master of the Tri-Phi "Anyway You Wanta" could be located - - so we had to do a mint "disc dub".

I'm not sure if it ever was actually delivered on tape to Motown, or perhaps lost earlier before Harvey's stuff moved over from Tri-Phi. One of those mysteries......

I'd do anything to get a tape source for this song, I really really really hope some day that tape is discovered somehow, somewhere. Until then, I still play Harvey's original from vinyl for my radio efforts.

I tried to get a tape source years ago from David Moss in LA, who really really searched also for me, as far back as 1988 - - the only tune listed in the system was Jr. Walker's version :-(

bee soul (bsoul)
4-Laureate
Username: bsoul

Post Number: 75
Posted From: 205.188.116.69
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 4:22 pm: ��Edit PostDelete Post���Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a unreleased Temptations 3rd album recorded between 1977-1979 on Atlantic. Does anyone know if it was lost in the fire too.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.