Soulful Detroit Archives - July 2006 Brown Eyed Woman /Bill and Darlene Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of page

Jimmy Mack (luke)
6-Zenith
Username: luke

Post Number: 2701
Posted From: 64.12.117.14
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 8:17 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darlene Love said she sang back up on this to Bill Medley and that they were having a relationship (though somewhat clandestine apparently) at the time. I recall hearing the record once and I like it. Anyone remember it? Did Bill write it?

Mr Soul (mr_soul)
6-Zenith
Username: mr_soul

Post Number: 920
Posted From: 62.252.224.12
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 12:48 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Jimmy it's a great song,it was issued on MGM in 1968,written by Mann & Weil & produced by Bill Medley & Barry Mann,I have it on a nice demo 45,it was also issued on a cheap Spanish CD in 1996 on a label called Goldies no. GLD63206 where it was passed off as a Righteous Brothers song.

AlwaysInMyHeart (alwaysinmyheart)
4-Laureate
Username: alwaysinmyheart

Post Number: 147
Posted From: 91.164.103.28
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 2:24 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Mann/Will/Hatfield/Medley story is a long one, that didn't stop after the Spector - and Spector-influenced (Soul & Inspiration) - days.

Bobby Hatfield cut Mann & Weil's "Hang-Ups".

In addition to "Brown-Eyed Woman", Bill Medley also recorded "Peace Brother Peace" (written by Mann alone), "This Is A Love Song", "Winter Won't Come This Year", "It's Not Easy", "A Long Way To Go", "Best Of My Life" (cowritten by Mann & Richard Harris), "Don't Know Much", "I'm Gonna Be Strong", "Right Here And Now" among others.
He also cut a solo version of "See That Girl" in 1970, and "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" in 1971.

The duet eventually recorded more, such as "You Turn Me Around" (also covered by the Supremes), "Together Again", "Nobody But You" and probably more .

But the Mickey Stevenson episode had escaped me (see that... other thread).

Heikki (heikki)
6-Zenith
Username: heikki

Post Number: 468
Posted From: 88.112.10.227
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 11:57 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi!

The Righteous Brothers actually led me to soul in the early 60s. I think I have all of their records, with the exception of two Bobby Hatfield singles in the early 70s (I'd really like to find Stay With Me Baby).
www.righteousbrothers.com

Best regards
Heikki

Kevin Goins - KevGo (kevgo)
6-Zenith
Username: kevgo

Post Number: 1010
Posted From: 69.4.123.157
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 6:21 am: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Brown Eyed Woman" was on Bill's first solo LP for MGM Records "100%". Excellent disc.
Kevin Goins - KevGo

4-Laureate

Post Number: 151
Posted From: 91.164.120.175
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 2:33 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Souled Out" is probably the first of their original lps to be released on cd (with the exception of the cd-age "Reunion" album).
Isn't it strange?

Mr Soul (mr_soul)
6-Zenith
Username: mr_soul

Post Number: 928
Posted From: 62.252.224.12
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 2:50 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Always...I don't know about strange,frustrating is more like it,I've had to buy four Best of/Greatest Hits compilations to get the RB songs I want.

hartfordman (hartfordman)
6-Zenith
Username: hartfordman

Post Number: 695
Posted From: 152.163.101.14
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 4:19 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Browned Eyed Woman was a fantastic song. Though a kid at the time it came out I think in 1968 or 1969 it was a great song. I haven't heard it since so it would be pure pleasure to hear this song again. The background was just as hot!

4-Laureate

Post Number: 152
Posted From: 91.164.120.175
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 5:17 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just visited the "righteousbrothersdiscography. com" website and they have an extensive discography section: actually, the 3 Philles lp were reissued on a double cd-set in Japan a decade ago..

I recently ordered the "Souled Out" cd and the "Gold" (double-cd) set, the latter will sadly include stereo versions of the Spector tracks but nevertheless remains the most comprehensive compilation yet (including many solo tracks).
As for the original mono mixes, the 2005 ABKCO compilation should be a possibly essential alternative, as indicated here: http://rbdiscg.mysite.wanadoo- members.co.uk/philles.htm

brooklyn_soul_king (brooklyn_soul_king)
4-Laureate
Username: brooklyn_soul_king

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 216.194.7.110
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 6:05 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brown Eyed Woman Is a great song and also one of my favorite hits from 1968. It should have done better than #43 on the Hot 100 but, It hit #3 on WMCA in the fall of 1968. Poor chart performance does not make Brown Eyed Woman a poor song, It is a great song with a lot of good old soul. I never knew Darlene Love sang the backup vocals. Brown Eyed Woman can run rings around any of the "so called" soul hits of today. A true soul classic In my book.

Jimmy Mack (luke)
6-Zenith
Username: luke

Post Number: 2703
Posted From: 64.12.117.14
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 9:25 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was anyone else singing back up on Brown Eyed Woman?

Juicefree20 (juicefree20)
6-Zenith
Username: juicefree20

Post Number: 7456
Posted From: 24.47.225.121
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 9:58 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember this song well. It came out just as I was getting ready to start the 3rd grade. I had the 45 back then, eventually it disappeared. I found a copy about 12 years ago through Goldmine & it was nice to reacquire it.

This was a very popular record here in New York. Actually, it did better on the R&B chart, that Pop, peaking at #37 R&B. Bill got plenty of love here, no doubt because of The Righteous Brothers & their soulful "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling".

This was a very exciting time in music, where you could hear Soul, Pop, R&B & it was all good. I find those days to have been more open-minded musically. I used to hear a little bit of everything & it seemed as though minds were being expanded on both ends of the radio dials.

"Brown Eyed Woman" was one of those songs that just about anyone could appreciate & it brings back some good memories.

Kevin Goins - KevGo (kevgo)
6-Zenith
Username: kevgo

Post Number: 1012
Posted From: 75.46.26.51
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 10:55 pm: Edit PostDelete PostMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I graduated from college, I made darn sure that the radio station copies of "Brown Eyed Woman," "Peace Brother, Peace" and the "100%" discs went with me....:-)
Kevin Goins - KevGo

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.